PDA

View Full Version : Wolf of Ash and Fire - Free Horus Heresy ebook

Lupe
06-03-2014, 17:24
So, this comes as a bit of a surprise to me, but look what's just been spotted on the BL website.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/blog/2014/Mar/woaaf.png
http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/I-was-there.html

Yup, it's a freebie. 41 pages long (probably about 30 of which are actual narration, the rest is the usual preface/legals/about the author and such)

Horus38
06-03-2014, 18:12
It's a solid story which fleshes out the old old background reference of when Horus saved the Emperor from this giant ork that was choking him out. I find it ironic they're giving it away as free considering it was already a "freebie" to those who pre-ordered Macragge's Honour.

Dean5150
06-03-2014, 20:43
Hang on...an ork choking the Emperor of Mankind?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Fen
06-03-2014, 20:44

Yep,it's an old part of the background.

Makes no sense at all when you think about it,so it's better not dwell too much on the "how is it possible" and just accept it

Dean5150
06-03-2014, 20:51
Unless the emperor did it on purpose to test Horus ambition and loyalty before making him Warmaster....your right, best not to dwell on it!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Horus38
07-03-2014, 00:10
Unless the emperor did it on purpose to test Horus ambition and loyalty before making him Warmaster....your right, best not to dwell on it!

It's an old throwaway reference with no background which made it pretty "Lolwut?". The Wolf of Ash and Fire is pretty awesome though, basically the Emperor's up to his eyeballs in super-mecha-nobs and butchering them by the hundreds, but he's just getting slowly worn down by the overlord. I'd recommend it.

Fen
07-03-2014, 00:27
Actually,i feel that by telling exactly what happened,Woa&f does nothing to make it less lolwut-worthy

If anything,quite the opposite :p

But at the same time i feel that's quite unavoidable.And i found the story as a whole to be well made so... i won't complain about it :D

duffybear1988
07-03-2014, 11:33

I can just imagine Horus teasing him after -

"Try taking smaller bites."
"Didn't your mother teach you not to play with your food?"
"Ask Russ for some Fenrisian mead to wash that down."
"At least you weren't around to choke on Lorgar's last sermon."
"You're getting weak in your old age..."

DarkChaplain
07-03-2014, 15:12
It was pretty great, though it could have been better if it had been longer. The character interaction was rather strong, but it mostly gave way to action in the second half, which was still good, though.

Brother Vaneb
18-03-2014, 12:05
Was it not at the climax of Ullanor the emperor was downed. This seems alittle allegorical? As well as the fight against the beast. Reminiscent of the fight they will have in the future.

FlashGordon
18-03-2014, 17:35
Well the ork is three times a primarch has a super robot titan armour with doc oc tentacles with wierdo tech on. And its quite easy to imagine this huuuuge amount of orks(their waaagh power) affects the Emperor. It seems the Beast is highly intelligent and has built warmachines never imagined or encountered before by Horus. I would bet on that this is as close we will get to see a "brainboy" type ork in action. And it seems this was only a really smal part of the ork "domain"

Edit: Yes at Ullanor Horus saves the Emperor again. And it was a great read!