PDA

View Full Version : Dark Age of Technology Gothic Architecture

Lord Squidar
06-03-2014, 20:57
Yo!

I was wondering, why are some things from before the first fall of man decked out in Gothic design that is clearly from the Age of the Imperium. I guess there are some older buildings that have this, but the thing that jumps right out at me are titans and knights.

Now if we compare to other stuff we have from that period, i.e. the rhino chassis, land raiders and other imperial tanks, they are all characterised by being extremely functional, uniform and blocky. They were after all the tractors and farming implements that golden age human colonists used to do their thing that just so happen to be awesome tanks. Even knights were supposed to be for herding large animals (grox?) and felling trees and have been repurposed for glorious war. Only Titans remain true weapons of war from before, and the bigger ones are festooned with gothic stuff. Point is, dark age colonial equipment is extremely functional, the pro science types probably thought it a waste of resources to put a gargoyle hanging off one of their warmachines...

So does the mechanicus/imperium add this stuff onto the titans and whatnots or do they use them as found from previous age. Same actually goes for the star ships?

I know more than likely the meta game answer will be that its just the style of 40k, but maybe there is an answer? Thanks

Stomer70
06-03-2014, 22:28
Maybe the cheap farmers didn't deck out their tank-tractors while the defense budget was the lions share of the government's spending. Therefore, the army had money to throw at stuff like gargoyles and flying buttresses on shoulder cannons.

And I always assumed the reason IoM architecture was Gothic in nature was because they were trying to emulate the Golden Age architecture, much like the Romans were influenced by the Greeks.

TrooperTino
07-03-2014, 05:00
In some novel, I think it was boarding a space hulk, I remember (very, very vague) the description of a very old human ship interior that reminded me much more of star trek than 40k. I allways imagined that DaoT tech, ships and designs in general get glorified with gargoyles, skulls and all that like a primitive culture would paint runes and religious symbols on a piece of technology they don't understand but of which function is somehow essential to their survival. So STCs that are found in 30-40k may have gotten some visual adds they didn't have in original.

I could also be, that DaoT tech that was used in wars against alien species, like weapons, tanks, starships and so on, had all this martial symbols for the psycologic impact on enemys, while rhinos and starship interiors lacked them as it wasn't neccessary where the enemy couldn't see them. But in 40k this designs were adopted to interiors and day to day tech because the original intention isn't known anymore and the skulls and gothic designs are now seen as an integral part of the designs, which they probably weren't.

It's hard for me to imagine that in the golden age, which strucks me more as a martial version of star trek, people were like "Ok the new design works very well, now let's add skulls, arches and some runes to it!" :)
More so if technology was so advanced that most new tech wasn't developed by human scientists anymore (because it was so advanced a human being had to spend a lifetime studying just to understand what they already had) but by artificial intelligence.
It could of course also be, that new tech was indeed developed by AIs, but humans wanted to add their "touch" to it before things went into mass production, so they kept a feeling of being actually involved in the development, but all they could add to the "perfect" STC designs were visual upgrades and for some reason the gothic designs were what the humans in DaoT went for.

Polaria
07-03-2014, 08:06
The answer is in the 10 000 years that has passed since the glory days of Empire. Its essentially same as the actual history of how Gothic architecture in Britain was developed from the earlier, more functional Norman style of building by adding height, slimming the originally very hardy support structures and adding stuff that had only aesthetic value but not practical function.

quantumcollider
07-03-2014, 09:00
The answer is in the 10 000 years that has passed since the glory days of Empire. Its essentially same as the actual history of how Gothic architecture in Britain was developed from the earlier, more functional Norman style of building by adding height, slimming the originally very hardy support structures and adding stuff that had only aesthetic value but not practical function.

Indeed. If a building stands upright for long enough, it will either get cannibalized for new building projects, or massively expanded and embellished by later generations. Since for the Imperium older is always better, the latter option is the one usually chosen. Same with millenia old war machines.

Mellow
07-03-2014, 12:57
I also always consider the Golden Age technology to be similar to Star Trek. All brightly lit starship interiors and powerful technology at the push of a button all with no real considerations to power consumption where as now it's GrimDark so everything has to be drab and dull and blocky.

Killgore
07-03-2014, 15:09
There is an ancient warship in the Blacklibrary book Daemonworld, worth a read.

malika
07-03-2014, 16:39
I've been working on some Epic scale pre-Imperial terrain here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?384154-Epic-scaled-Imperial-terrain-for-3d-printing). Maybe it will inspire you a bit. :)