PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves in Storm of Magic

sigmarus
07-03-2014, 14:07
Ok, so I dont own the new dwarf book, but they now have magic via the anvil. Can anyone with the dwarf book tell me if this means that dwarves can be an active part of storm of magic now? For example, can they cast all their bound spells if you put one on a fulcrum? Any opinions on this?

Micalovits
07-03-2014, 15:04
There is a section in the storm of magic book itself for dwarves and some runes that are activated via powerdice.

sigmarus
07-03-2014, 15:43
ahh, right. forgot about those. but what about their bound spells now also?

Tyrant of Zhufbar
07-03-2014, 20:20
You could still take an anvil and cast its bound spells as per a normal game, and a lone runesmith/lord could still go into a fulcrum to strike the ancestor runes

calnen
07-03-2014, 21:07
I've been playing Dwarfs in storm for a little while now, but am really struggling to get them to play properly. The runes rules in the S of M book seem.. strange.

In an average Storm magic phase the Dwarfs have 14 dice to throw, plus channels. If you use all of these with your runesmiths, no matter what combinations you strike ancestor runes in (6-dice a few, or throw 2 dice many times), you'll average 2 or 3 miscasts on the fulcrum table every turn.

We played a 3K game over the weekend, and during the game I killed 3 of my own runesmiths (with 2 of them blowing up fulcrums with them, and taking chunks out of my army). Since I'd killed all my own fulcrums, I was just playing for a draw.

Thoughts on this? Do other Storm Dwarfs players use all their power dice, or do you just sit on them and not have much of a magic phase?

(I'm ignoring the new anvil rules here, by the way.). I know you can also take monsters / Storm units with wizard levels, but havn't done this yet. )

Leogun_91
08-03-2014, 00:52
If you feel they are a bit too risky (although only Earth-shattering kaboom! is truly horrible) I suggest getting a mythic artefact or two which carries a bound spell as well as some anvils of doom (which may occupy arcane fulcrums if they are able to get there). Making a pact with VC,TK or Daemons might help as can using a scroll of binding on a truthsayer or dark emissary.

Jind_Singh
09-03-2014, 07:27
Dwarfs in storm are pretty nasty!! Very reliable indeed

GrudgeBringer
09-03-2014, 11:24
When i play dwarfs in SOM i put a couple of defensivly tooled up runesmiths on the fulcrums and take a truthsayer and a lammasu. I dont use the ancestor runes due to the risk and runesmiths are alot harder to kill than normal wizards leaving my own spellcasters the power dice and the very lovely cataclysm spells.

Leogun_91
10-03-2014, 17:55
An option if you are very scared of blowing up after rolling a great number of dice can be to activate Wyssan's Weighted Dice and say that sixes are fives. You skip irresistible strikings but can no longer in any way cause an fulcrum miscast and the irresistible strikings are still successful strikings.

Ramius4
10-03-2014, 19:48
We just play that you have to roll 2 or more 6's when casting ancestor runes in order for them to miscast, just like everyone else. I don't think the rules designers were using their heads when they wrote that section. There really is no reason for them to be miscasting more than twice as often as a Wizard does...

An option if you are very scared of blowing up after rolling a great number of dice can be to activate Wyssan's Weighted Dice and say that sixes are fives. You skip irresistible strikings but can no longer in any way cause an fulcrum miscast and the irresistible strikings are still successful strikings.

Which is also a good way of removing Killing Blow, Poisoned Attacks, and bad Leadership tests from the game. Wyssan's is fun, but you REALLY have to think about how to use it sometimes. It can have some far reaching, unintended consequences at times.