PDA

View Full Version : Retro Gaming

Carlstjames
07-03-2014, 16:13
Anybody else still play older rulesets?My long-time gaming circle is a fairly casual environment where we cut and paste the game rules as we like and throw out all sorts of hair-brained scenarios just for the fun of it. We were originally quite psyched about 6th edition and initially welcomed the psychic powers and return of detail to the ruleset. In recent times however the eldest of our group (56) started to bring up how much the ideas from 6th had started to slow the game down. Rolling for this, rolling for that all before the game has started and then going through the rigmarole of having to remember who has what throughout the battle. With all the e-deces and datasheets flying around the place it was almost as if 40k had gone full circle and gone back to 2nd edition where it was quite normal to reference a pile of WD and CJ articles as well as all the Datafaxes, wargear, psychic powers and strategy cards one would have to look on. So we decided it was time for a change and dug out our 4th Edition stuff. It was like a veil had been lifted from our eyes. No longer did the ruleset get in the way of enjoying the game. We enjoyed having the old attacker/defender scenarios to choose from with their variable Force Charts; we enjoyed psychic powers being relegated to another form of weaponry and we enjoyed getting rid of all the dice rolling for powers/traits/movement. In short we rediscovered 40k. Our 3 main armies are Eldar, Chaos and Witch Hunters and going back to the old books was fantastic. Whilst I will admit losing Battle Focus was hard I have since enjoyed knowing my psychic powers and Banshees being able to slice and dice across the battlefield. My long-time Chaos nemesis used the 3.5E book and his army was chaotic once again. My Sister (16) is too young to remember having a Sisters’ Codex and she was psyched to have Witch Hunters and their allies, Hereticus and Faith Powers. So, has anyone else tried this recently, and could it be an antidote to the escalation of 6th edition (lol)?

IcedCrow
07-03-2014, 16:43
Make the game whatever you and your group want to make it. If using older rules is the answer - then go for it.

Ozendorph
07-03-2014, 17:02
40K was effectively mothballed with 6th Ed in our group, and everyone has gone on to other games. Recently however, a few of our guys have been making noise about getting together for Apocalypse games again (something we used to do regularly), and there's been discussion about which rules to use. Personally I'm open to 4th or 5th as a core system (both have their better points), but it gets a bit fuzzier where the supplemental books are concerned. Which Apocalypse version to use for Super Heavies/Gargantuans and Assets, and which codices to use. The older books are fine, of course, but some of the newer units (primarily giant robots of varying makes and models) fit right in for Apoc. And I actually consider Hull Points a good thing for big Apoc games (just track HPs and ignore damage results other than explosions...keeps things moving when you've got 30 vehicles on the table). So, yeah, we have to be careful not to end up with a convoluted mess (if we wanted that, we'd just play 6th ;))

duffybear1988
07-03-2014, 19:13
Yes 4th edition was superior in almost every way. If you play eldar then I recommend you take a look at the eldar ulthwe webway strikeforce from the 13th black crusade codex supplement. It gives you a completely different way to play eldar.

Ayin
08-03-2014, 17:07
I LOVED the ulthwe Strikeforce. I remodeled my entire Eldar army into that force, got the Storm Guardians, the Seer Council, even the Spear of Khaine (I think it was called, the unit with an Avatar and Warlocks?). I took it to tournaments and did great, and at the same time, people I played pick-up games with always enjoyed the games as well. I was SUPER excited for the next Eldar book to come out...and then it did, and the Strikeforce was in no way a playable army. No Webway portals, no Spear of Khaine, I don't even think Augment stuck around. That was the...second or third time my current army was made effectively unplayable by GW. Something I had gotten pretty sick of, and the main reason I dropped the game for a few years.

murgel2006
08-03-2014, 19:38
2nd ed. never dies here. there is at least one game a month going.

duffybear1988
08-03-2014, 19:47
I LOVED the ulthwe Strikeforce. I remodeled my entire Eldar army into that force, got the Storm Guardians, the Seer Council, even the Spear of Khaine (I think it was called, the unit with an Avatar and Warlocks?). I took it to tournaments and did great, and at the same time, people I played pick-up games with always enjoyed the games as well. I was SUPER excited for the next Eldar book to come out...and then it did, and the Strikeforce was in no way a playable army. No Webway portals, no Spear of Khaine, I don't even think Augment stuck around. That was the...second or third time my current army was made effectively unplayable by GW. Something I had gotten pretty sick of, and the main reason I dropped the game for a few years.

Same here. I was only talking about getting some 4th ed. games going at my local club today. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that a few others are interested. I'm guessing it's because I know a fair few chaos and tyranid players who would love to use a good codex again.

Khornies & milk
08-03-2014, 20:18
My group only play Apoc games now, and have since the Row Embargo, and 6th ed didn't sway us back into the fold. Plus other company's games are now also the norm for the 50 of us.

We have every Codex and Rulebook since RT days on hand, plus 100's of pages in 'Word' Documents on the main Computer, so any of us can build an armylist with whatever unit we want, and use whatever rules we want for said unit. 2nd & 4th Ed and many Chapter Approved builds are popular atm.
Sometimes there is a bit of confusion but most of us are old codgers so it's to be expected. We do have absolute trust in each other though as we're all family or long-time friends...talking Decades in some cases.

We do continue to buy from GW, FW mainly, so although they are from 6th ed we will be fielding quite a few Knights as Allied Formations to existing armies...even ones GW don't currently allow like Chaos because we believe in 'fairness'.