PDA

View Full Version : new to high elves. 1,000 point list

xarxes
07-03-2014, 17:18
Im pretty new to warhammer fantasy. I did some ebaying and ended up with a decent chunk of high elves for next to nothing. Ive only played one 3,000 point game thus far against some dark elves. Didnt do too bad but was still beaten.

What i could use some help with is building a 1,000 point army. Im in deep enough to know that high elves aren't the best army for a beginner and that they can be quite expensive points wise. Im just at the point i dont know where to begin. Here's a list of the models i own. If anyone can at least give me some pointers as to where to start it would be much appreciated.

CORE
49 x spearmen - built with bow and quiver to be used as sea guard
28 x seaguard
10 x reavers
SPECIAL
21 x sword masters
5 x dragon princes
1 x skycutter
RARE
10 x sisters of avelorn
2 x bolt thrower
1 x phoenix painted to pass as either a flamespyre or frostheart
CHARACTERS
Lord on dragon
Teclis
2 x mage/archmage
2 x prince on griffon

Thanks!

iamjack42
10-03-2014, 15:00
I'm no expert, but I think you could put together a list with a ton of ranged threats. Looking at your available models I might try something like:

Heroes - 170 Points (17%)

Mage - 170 Points
Level 2, High Magic,
Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury

Core - 255 Points (25%)

10 Sea Guard - 150 Points
Shields, Full Command

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 105 Points
Musician, Spears and Bows

Special - 363 Points (36%)

5 Dragon Princes - 155 Points
Musician

Skycutter - 120 Points
Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower

6 Swordmasters of Hoeth - 88
Musician

Rare - 210 Points (21%)

5 Sisters of Avelorn

1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Definitely a list that will make most opponents come to you, and has enough High Strength/Armour Piercing that heavy armor isn't much of a problem.

AM1640
10-03-2014, 20:59
Since you are just begining and have only a rudimentary grasp of the rules and the subtleties of the game (no offense, we all start there) I would recommend playing lots of games at the 1000 point level. You can't make a bad list as long as it is legal. Try everything at least once, different troops, different combinations of magic items. Whatever, it doesn't matter, just play. And don't worry about losing, it isn't a loss if you have fun and learn.
To start I would use all of the core models you have, learning how to feint and flee with the smaller unit of seaguard and reavers(these guys are experts at fleeing and rallying to draw frenzied troops all over the place and never into combat), to draw an enemy into position for a charge from your spearmen.
You have several characters on monsters which maybe a little expensive at 1000 points, but you could give a unit champ a really great paint job and say he is a hig elf hero/lord/ BSB.

xarxes
13-03-2014, 08:14
Thanks guys! I played vampire counts and got the win. I had completely forgot about the rerolls for ASF and still did really well. Here's the list i took.

Mage, lvl 2, dispell scroll, lore of life
21 sea guard, full command
5 reavers, musician, bows and spears
5 reavers, musician, bows and spears
14 sword masters, full command, shrieking blade
10 sisters of avelorn

I pretty much just sat back and shot with the sea guard and sisters. Used the reavers to run up and shoot just enough to get them to direct their charges to where i could cut more away on following shooting phases. Had the spear men run up the side and got behind his lines with some help from the reavers. After he was in charging distance of the sea guard i locked down one of his bigger units and cleared up the stragglers. Not too bad for a second game.

xarxes
13-03-2014, 08:15
Sword masters* not spearmen

iamjack42
13-03-2014, 11:59
Congrats on the win! Good luck with your future games!

krunsh
30-12-2015, 18:22
reviving this may seem to come out of no where, but I am building an High Elves army list for my friend, using the Island of Blood starter set (That griffon is really limiting the options, but with 10 more Swordmasters it should make a good start.). Looking at the lists above, I was wondering why one would put a musician as the only command upgrade for a 5 man Ellyrian Reavers unit? As far as I understood it, Fast cavalries always reform for free without a need of a musician. Also why not take 10 reavers rather than two units of 5? I tried to find a rule about fast cavs not gaining rank bonuses, but couldn't.

Right now I am setting up is reavers as 5 men squads with a champion, and may try with or without spears (Can save a lot of points there, if you only want to use them as range harassment. The champion's increased BS works toward that effect as well.

Thanks!

El_Commi
02-01-2016, 10:25
reviving this may seem to come out of no where, but I am building an High Elves army list for my friend, using the Island of Blood starter set (That griffon is really limiting the options, but with 10 more Swordmasters it should make a good start.). Looking at the lists above, I was wondering why one would put a musician as the only command upgrade for a 5 man Ellyrian Reavers unit? As far as I understood it, Fast cavalries always reform for free without a need of a musician. Also why not take 10 reavers rather than two units of 5? I tried to find a rule about fast cavs not gaining rank bonuses, but couldn't.

Right now I am setting up is reavers as 5 men squads with a champion, and may try with or without spears (Can save a lot of points there, if you only want to use them as range harassment. The champion's increased BS works toward that effect as well.

Thanks!
I'm not an Elf player (I play VC). But musicians can be taken to give you a win if combat resolution is a draw. I rarely if ever take them on any units.

Two units of 5 is better because they're light cav. You generally don't use light cav. for damage so they second rank is useless. Instead you use them to control movement and harry flanks/rear. Light cavalry shouldn't get bogged down in combat, it should be hit and run or used to maximise chances of winning combat resolution.

kwanchai
13-01-2016, 01:00

The answers are pretty easy for both of the questions, and come naturally when you think about what will you actually use those reavers for? Clearly they are not meant to fight rank and file units, as you have better options in the book for that. So what are they good for primarily? General chaff duties, and warmachine hunting.

As general chaff duties include redirecting/blocking, the answer for the musician arrives. Blocking an enemy unit, forcing them to charge you then fleeing is one of the basic moves; as you are fast cavalry with swiftstride, you have a very good chance that they won't catch you. Of course there is not much use of that if you flee off the table after the trick. So because, just like most units fast cav need to pass a leadership test in order to rally after fleeing, a musician is invaluable, not for the swift reform but for the +1 leadership during the rally attempt. Since you will be operating outside of the general's range half the time, having to pass it on a 9 and not an 8 is quite the difference. Now comes the fun part: fast cavalry, unlike most other units can move after a successful rally, so chances are that you can do the trick again! That's why people take musicians on fast cav, a 75% chance is much better than a 66% chance.

On the 5-strong reaver unit questions, the answer is simple as well. You don't use them to fight battles where their extra ranks matter, hence you are better with two units instead of one, so you can literally do twice as much with them operating at different areas, attacking two different targets.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 14:00
I'm not an Elf player (I play VC). But musicians can be taken to give you a win if combat resolution is a draw. I rarely if ever take them on any units.

As said above, Musicians also grant +1 to Leadership when trying to rally, making them the most important upgrade for Fast Cavalry, and one that an Undead player can fairly safely ignore!

Two units of 5 is better because they're light cav. You generally don't use light cav. for damage so they second rank is useless. Instead you use them to control movement and harry flanks/rear. Light cavalry shouldn't get bogged down in combat, it should be hit and run or used to maximise chances of winning combat resolution.

Additionally, even if one WAS planning on using Light Cav to flank charge an enemy force, such a unit needs at least a second rank for their foes to be Disrupted, which means that, even a unit of ten fast cav (2 ranks of 5) which charges in can easily lose a single model and then, with only nine models left, be unable to Disrupt the foe.