PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia themed Vampire Counts?

Gharnukk
07-03-2014, 17:29
Greetings.

For a long time I have had an urge to make an Vampire Counts army that has a Bretonnian theme. Always liked the story of the Red duke and Blood keep but have little ideas of what to have in the army except for Black knights. What do you experts of all Bretonnian say? Men at arms Zombies, Ghouls? Any help would be great :) Thank you

AM1640
07-03-2014, 17:55
Well, there are 3 cavalry unit types for VC, Black Knights, Blood Knights and Hellwraiths. Since you have to fill up a minimum amount of core you could models this around some skeletons or zombies. it is unlikley that you will include any characters in these units as it would separate your army too much so this core will play little to no part in the game other than to deploy and take some table quarters and provide some banners. There are also dire wolves that would fit in more with an all cav list, but trying to explain them as Bret in origin could be a stretch.

Nerd Knight
07-03-2014, 18:17
I've also been mulling over doing a Bretonnian VC army (Mousillon based). I figure for core, zombies and skelly's could be undead peasants, blood knights and black knights can be knights, ghostly mounted yeomen as hexwraiths (with some heavy converting), black knights on dead pegasi could make great vargheist or varghulf replacements, and undead damsels/prophetesses could be used as either banshees or lahmia-style vampires on the coven throne. I'm still not too sure what would make a good list, but a few of the things I could not mentally justify for undead brets was the bigger gribblies. TG's make no sense, nor do dragons, I just can't think of a way to justify them. How all of this will do as an army I cannot comment on, as I've never played as a VC player before, but I hope this helps.

Thommy H
07-03-2014, 18:25
This is how I did it. (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8469)

Ludaman
07-03-2014, 18:51
Been working on a conversion for the red duke :) here's what I've got so far:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/apa9ubuz.jpg

Gharnukk
07-03-2014, 19:25
Looks good Ludaman ^^ Yeah cavalry seems like the way to go. But I would like other units aswell. The idea would be a Vampire duke spreading terror in Bretonnia. So returned corpses and so on but units from the Vampire counts aswell. I for one love Crypt horrors and Ghouls. So I can see Vampire Duke (Lord), Master Necromancer, Necromancer, Ghouls, Men at arms Zombies, Dire wolves, Black knights, Crypt horrors and maybe Mortis engine and Terrorgheist.

Nerd Knight
07-03-2014, 22:28
@Thommy: LOVE the spectral Knights and the lord! Great looking army, I may have to borrow your paint scheme for the knights though.

@Ludaman: Oh boy that is a nice Red Duke!

Archon of Death
07-03-2014, 22:58
My Damsels, Vampires, Blood Knights and Necromancers are all going to be Witch Elfs. The Damsels on BWHs and the Vampires/Blood Knights on Chaos Knight horses. Otherwise the theme will be Bretonnian Mousilion VC.

Moss
08-03-2014, 01:16
Have you thought about switching around and doing VC themed Brettonians? It's probably easier game-wise, since as others have mentioned it would be difficult to fit Bret models into the VC playstyle.

The biggest issue I can see is fitting the magic lores into the theme of the army.

SteveW
08-03-2014, 04:22
Hexwraiths = Questing knights

Black knights = KotR and knighte Errant

Blood knights = Grail knights

Skeletons = men at arms

Ghouls = Grail pilgrims

Vargheists = Peg knights

Zombie dragon/terror bat = Hippogriph.

Gharnukk
08-03-2014, 04:28
^ Thats not bad at all :)

SteveW
08-03-2014, 04:36
A bretonnia vs VC batrep just for this thread :)

http://youtu.be/uWjLR6ZQxb4

Mc1gamer
08-03-2014, 05:33
Hexwraiths = Questing knights

Black knights = KotR and knighte Errant

Blood knights = Grail knights

Skeletons = men at arms

Ghouls = Grail pilgrims

Vargheists = Peg knights

Zombie dragon/terror bat = Hippogriph.

This!

Its almost exactly how I've been doing it. I've used Empire Flagellant bodies and ghouls arms/heads for that unit. I have made some serious changes to the Blood Knights (old chaos knights with the furs, but dremeled out all the chaos symbols and added knightly heads). My Black Knights and Hexwraiths have the legs removed from all the horses, replaced by skelly horse (alot of work!!) and the heads are replaced with skeleton snouts, or zombie oop metal horse heads (about 50-50 on those), so they stand out as undead. I left the mounts for the Blood knights alone, just painted them up as hellsteads. For Grave Guard....that's the most serious conversion I'm doing, 40 strong. I'm making them all Questing Knights on foot (Great Weapons!). So Champion M@A's with Empire Great Swords added and Bret heads. For Zombies, I added the arms and heads to M@A's too. Here's some early stuff. I still need to add in my latest, since its been awhile since the first post and alot has been done of late: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?388238-Yet-another-Mousillon-Army-heavy-conversion-WIP

Its a fun fun conversion, and you can sub alot into a Bret army too. But get ready, its a crazy amount of converting and you will spend much more $ as a result. Takes alot longer to field painted stuff too because of all the work. But worth it if you have a passion to do it. I've seen MANY different takes on this. SO many awesome jobs and many blogs with outrageous pics. Some styles are heavily gothic, but my flavor edges much more towards a Bretonnian look, with undead added in to set it apart.

Enjoy....and post pics of your progress.

Gharnukk
08-03-2014, 19:46
Is a Mortis engine or Terrorgheist the most competitive choice for this kind of list? Woul like some points for Hexwraiths so I cant take both. Engine boosts my units but the Terrorgheist is stronger if you ask me.

SpanielBear
08-03-2014, 20:42
Not sure about competitive, but making a relique for the False Grail as a Corpse Cart or Mortis Engine could be pretty fun.

Gharnukk
08-03-2014, 23:53
Sounds like a fun idea :)

Gharnukk
12-03-2014, 08:20
How necessary are a Lvl 4? I used to play a Strigoi army with Ghoul King lvl 1 Master necromancer lvl 4 with shadow and a lvl 1 necromancer. Is this a good way to go? We get a lvl 4 dirt cheap but it means less points on your Vampire

SpanielBear
12-03-2014, 12:49
What points size game are we talking? Level 4 and a hero vamp will see you through most magic phases, and if you have level 2s you'll want to run multiples of them. With a Strigoi, you probably want him kitted out, loaded for bear to prevent anything being left standing that can hit back. In which case I'd suggest a lvl 3 necromancer, to save points while still being potent.

Gharnukk
12-03-2014, 13:05
2400 points. Now I will try a mounted Vampire Lord for the invasion of Bretonnia. Just curious if the Lvl 4 work well here too.

Ludaman
13-03-2014, 00:30
I'm planning on making "The army of the Red Duke" based on the BL novel's description as well as the description from the old campaign pack. I'll be using a horde of regular vampire counts skellies, some ghouls, a big unit of black knights with the Red Duke, a banshee, a necromancer, a wight king, and the ancient skeleton horsemen models as stand ins for dire wolves. I might also include a few spirit hosts. My chance of winning with this list: small. My chance of being happy with the army? Huge!

Also I'm getting pretty close with The Red Duke, if anyone has any suggestions for painting those darned back-horns, let me know.

Moopy
13-03-2014, 01:36
I love the conversions and ideas in this thread. I'm waiting for Bretonnia to be updated (and get through some hobby/minis backlog before buying more!) as I wanted to make a Vampire Counts themed Bretonnian army : )

Sir_Glonojad
13-03-2014, 06:59
The theme idea is nice, but I think that it might work better with Bretonnian rules on VC models rather than wth Vampire rules.

It is actually linked with the background, as the Red Duke tried to mimic a live army with his minions according yo the book.

Also the Bretonnian unit selection is far more limited so it is easier that way rather than try to "Brrtonnise" more exotic VC models.

On the other hand, Bretonnian Loeds are weaker than Bampire Lords and don't cast spells at all...

But the idea is so great that it should work both ways.

Oogie boogie boss
13-03-2014, 10:25
I've been pondering doing this for a while now, and have been going over how to do it relatively cheaply. I've been thinking Mantic Zombies, Skellies with the more 'gothic' elements clipped off and weilding Bret shields and such (same with the Black Nights), and Maybe a mix of Skellies and Greatswords for my Grave Guard. My problem is I'm already collecting a SO army, and don't want to be buying 2 units just to get one useable one.

The theme I want to go for is a big horde of ombies and Skellies, backed up by Black Knights, Grave Guard and maybe a Black Coach for damage, with a Vampire and Necromancer as well.
Basically the idea is kind of taken from GoT, a brutish and sadistic Brettonian Lord gets attacked by his neighbouring nobles, his army is destroyed and he is mortally wounded, but before he can die he is given the vampiric kiss, and with the help of his pet wizard, reanimates his forces and goes after revenge. So Kind of basing the characters a little on Gregor Clegane/Qyburn......

HybridTheory
13-03-2014, 10:28
Great idea! I really like that model and I think vc has some awesome models.

Stoked to see what's next!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn IdeaTabA1000-F met Tapatalk

Gharnukk
30-03-2014, 09:07
So I have started my VC project. So far a Damsel (Necromancer) and a spirit host painted. But I wonder as this army is going to
be used at a tournament. How weak are Skeletons? I know that hey pretty much do the same as Zombies. But they would
look good with some Men at arms helmets and shields.

EDIT: I can add that I have only played with a Strigoi list before ^^ so my knowledge about VC is a bit limited.

Oogie boogie boss
31-03-2014, 09:35
From my own (again, limited) understanding, Skellies are sub-par infantry but a step above Zombies. The role for them still seems to be tarpitting, but in large enough numbers they can (eventually) win combats against some opponents. Goblins, Men-At-Arms, Clanrats, TK Skellies, etc are about on the same level, but against anything better your best hope is to keep raising them back up and wear your opponent down. Just don't expect them to do much against Chaos Warriors......

Sir_Glonojad
01-04-2014, 07:28
For a disciplined men-at-arms look skeletons work better. For peasant rabble zombie s are the way to go, they might even mix welll with the man-at-arms plastic set.
I'd personally take skellies, but I prefer dry-bone Undead anyway.