PDA

View Full Version : Knights VS DF Leviathan, or something completely different?

dreamspirit
07-03-2014, 22:13
Hello everyone, with all the fuss around the Knights these days and plenty of hours lurking here and on Dakka, I started thinking about them in a way my wife wouldn't like me to think :wtf:

Given that the price is quite hefty on them, I started thinking about how to replace them. First thing that comes to mind, naturally is Leviathan, but which one? What do you guys think is better solution, 15mm one and build up the base until it's roughly the height of the Knight, or 28mm one and just play dumb (I have an amazing gaming community so no one would really make a problem)? Does anyone have any comparison pictures? it seems that 15mm one is about 1.75'' shorter, and 28mm one is about that much higher than the Knight.
Also, are there any other options and proxies that anyone knows of?
Alternatively, I'm thinking about scratchbuilding dozen of them, just for fun.

In the end, given all the writings about the actual codex, do you think it's worth it? after all if there are 6 pages of rules in it, I'm not really sure what to think.

Cheers

Milos

Navar
07-03-2014, 22:27
I already have a GW knight kit.

I plan on getting the Codex ASAP.

I think that the GW Knight Kit is hands down better than any alternative.

I think that the codex will be well worth it. I am excited to read the fluff at the very least.

kaimarion
07-03-2014, 23:05
I have one of the old resin leviathans and a knight and the knight wins hands down.

Apothecary Orpheus
08-03-2014, 22:20
I have both and they are excellent.No one said that that every knightworld constructs the same patterns,so 1 inch more or less is no big deal.The 15mm leviathan though may be a bit small regarding weapons size and closer to a dreadknight overall i think (someone who has one can help us more,i have the 28mm one).The leviathan looks like a knight in plate armor and would be cool for a knight-baron,if you leave some of the leg plates off,it looks more like a knight.
As a modelling kit though the (plastic) leviathan is tonns better than the knight,more poseable and an extremelly well made kit.Buy both ,you won't regret it.

TheBearminator
11-03-2014, 06:43
I started a thread like this at the time of the imp knight release.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390836

Here's the pictures you're asking for, imp knight versus leviathan crusader. I hope the original poster don't take any offence. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/11/yzy3eraz.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/11/4eretyny.jpg

Personally I don't know. I was leaning against the leviathan crusader as it's more plastic for money, not three inches shorter than the Wraithknight (rather half an inch), highly posable in a cool way (real hydraulics and so on), actually seems like it could swing a sword in close combat, and it looks more cylon.

The leviathan looks like it could need a few more details on its exterior. But I'm not a big fan of the GW model, with its size, egg shaped hull and small head.

dreamspirit
11-03-2014, 07:34
Thanks guys, personally I can't wait to see the conversions and paintjobs as well as proxies that people will come for this model overtime.

Bearminator, I'm failing to see why would I take any offence? thanks for the pictures, I had no idea that Leviathan is that much bigger than the knight. so now I really can't imagine where 15mm leviathan fits in. I thought that the the difference between the 28mm one and the knight is not that dramatic. Again, thanks for the pics.

TheBearminator
11-03-2014, 08:02
I meant the original poster of the pictures. ;) Yeah I was also really surprised with how much smaller the Knight was. Some would argue it's the leviathan and the Wraithknight that are too tall. I don't bother much. I don't think I'll play that much with it, but I'd like to paint something really massive for a change. To bad you have to pay for optional weapons. I love the look of that chain gun though, so I'm probably not gonna change anything. :)

hobojebus
11-03-2014, 13:56
Well my knight hasn't arrived yet but I have built and painted my leviathon that I got for 50 in a sale, it's a nice kit to put together and it's huge.

Me and warlord Bob are saying the leviathon is a baron hence the larger size and the gw knights are his serfs hence the smaller size.

I haven't seen the 15mm one but it may be too small.

duffybear1988
11-03-2014, 14:09
I have 2 leviathans and 1 knight. The knight is more detailed but the leviathans are bigger. I can't really decide which is cooler overall.

Mauler
11-03-2014, 14:32
I thoroughly enjoyed putting my Knight together. I don't think that I could consider a Leviathan; it's bigger than I expected but looks pretty bland in comparison to most of GW's recent work.

Knight, hands down.

TheBearminator
11-03-2014, 15:06
Well my knight hasn't arrived yet but I have built and painted my leviathon that I got for 50 in a sale, it's a nice kit to put together and it's huge.

Me and warlord Bob are saying the leviathon is a baron hence the larger size and the gw knights are his serfs hence the smaller size.

I haven't seen the 15mm one but it may be too small.

How come I never stumble upon any sales? The best thing I ever seem to get is free shopping coupons from wayland. May I ask where you got yours?

hobojebus
11-03-2014, 15:59
Warlordbob pointed the sale out to me, but this was a while back and it went back up in price.

TheBearminator
11-03-2014, 17:01
That's the sad thing about sales. They always end before we get there.

Anyway. Maybe the comparison picture ain't so inspiring. But this one makes my head spin. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/11/buru2apu.jpg

dreamspirit
11-03-2014, 17:36
truly a knight titan. I love the model. I'll probably ask my sculptor to make something out of styrofoam for me, with this picture in mind, and then I'll add some plastic card and bits to it, and try to make 10 so we can play all knights games :D

TheBearminator
11-03-2014, 20:42
Yeah, I must say I find that truly beautiful. Can't tell if it's a real model or fake without watching it on a computer though. That's what's so great with the 3" format, pretty much everything looks great. :)

Sir Didymus
13-03-2014, 06:26
Alternatively, I'm thinking about scratchbuilding dozen of them, just for fun.

In the end, given all the writings about the actual codex, do you think it's worth it? after all if there are 6 pages of rules in it, I'm not really sure what to think.

Cheers

Milos

Do the scratch builds, they will be a lot more rewarding.

Regarding the value for money thing. The average codex has 15 pages of rules in it, do you think it worth it, to buy 100 pages and a hardcover just for those 15 pages? If so, then its worth it. (I don't think so).

- and really, what is it about you guys and your wives? Would they ever accept, you restraining them from indulging in their own hobbies/interests? Sure, if its a matter of putting food on the table and clothes on your back, but more often its a choice between an all night bender and a plastic robot.

Poseidal
13-03-2014, 10:06
The Knight is better design-wise.

And the feet are correct for an Imperial walker, unlike the Leviathan or Contemptor dreads.

hobojebus
13-03-2014, 19:34
The Knight is better design-wise.

And the feet are correct for an Imperial walker, unlike the Leviathan or Contemptor dreads.

Knights are pre-imperial and not made by the tech priests, so as long as it's 6 inches tall and similar in width you can use what you like to represent a knight so long as your not playing in a gw store.

The leviathon is better value for money and a fun kit to build, the gw one has more details but lacks the flexibility of pose.

Either way both fit the role.

Poseidal
13-03-2014, 21:47
Human built walker then :p

dreamspirit
13-03-2014, 23:03
- and really, what is it about you guys and your wives? Would they ever accept, you restraining them from indulging in their own hobbies/interests? Sure, if its a matter of putting food on the table and clothes on your back, but more often its a choice between an all night bender and a plastic robot.

well first off, it was really meant as a joke, but if we come to the fact that average monthly wage in Serbia is two Knights, I could hardly justify the expense of the model. Thanks for answering all of my questions ;)

TheBearminator
14-03-2014, 00:35
Dreamspirit: I could hardly justify that expense myself.

I wonder if we have another thing in common. You seem to like the more passive pose of the Leviathan. That's a beautiful thing that GW has yet to realize. I think a lot of their models would look way cooler if they weren't screaming and swinging swords and shooting guns at the same time. Thats works for Orks, but not for a knight.