PDA

View Full Version : Huh. Codex: Imperial Knights doesn't include Codex: Inquisition in the ally chart.

The Emperor
08-03-2014, 04:42
So anyone want to hazard a guess what the alliance level between the Imperial Knights and Inquisition should be? Because apparently GW left out one of their armies from the alliance chart.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
08-03-2014, 04:43
Knights are an Imperial force. The Inquisition is BB with all preexisting Imperial forces. The answer is obvious.

The Emperor
08-03-2014, 04:45
Knights are an Imperial force. The Inquisition is BB with all preexisting Imperial forces. The answer is obvious.

Except for Grey Knights. They're Allies of Convenience with them, which does make a difference, as they won't be able to take advantage of Inquisition Warlord traits or psychic powers.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
08-03-2014, 05:59
No, the Inquisition is Battle Brothers with them, too. It wouldn't really make sense otherwise. There is not a single Imperial organization that they have a worse relationship with than Battle Brothers, therefore the clear conclusion is that they're Battle Brothers for an Imperial Knight force as well.

The Emperor
08-03-2014, 06:02
No, the Inquisition is Battle Brothers with them, too. It wouldn't really make sense otherwise. There is not a single Imperial organization that they have a worse relationship with than Battle Brothers, therefore the clear conclusion is that they're Battle Brothers for an Imperial Knight force as well.

Err... there is. Grey Knights. I said so right in the post above. Imperial Knights are Battle Brothers with all Imperial organizations except Grey Knights, with whom they're Allies of Convenience.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
08-03-2014, 06:06
I'm referring to the Inquisition's allies chart, not the Knight one, which is very different from the GK one. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

The Emperor
08-03-2014, 06:35
Ah, okay. I get what you're saying, that the Inquisition is Battle Brothers with all Imperial forces, and would therefore likewise be Battle Brothers with Imperial Knights. Well, either way, it sure would've been nice if GW could've been counted on not to forget one of their own armies...

Losing Command
08-03-2014, 06:42
I wouldn't call the Inquisition and army though. Those guys just claim an army when they need one, but the Inquisition doesn't really have an army of their own (except maybe GK, but even those are semi-indipendant) so fluff-wise GW didn't forget an army in the allies chart :p

Spiney Norman
08-03-2014, 09:29
Wow, leaving an entry out of the allies matrix, that's a pretty big derp for the actual codex.
However it is something they could get round fairly easily, just by putting out a digital update for the inquisition codex and adding knights to their matrix. Since Inq is not a print book I think that might be the ways they go.

I have just a couple of questions about the codex before I pop out late to get my own copy

1. Are the points values the same as printed in WD, or is the errant less (as reported on warseer list week)
2. Are knights scoring when they are taken as allies, or is that only when taken as a primary det?

G8Keeper
08-03-2014, 11:22
The more shocking part of the allies chart for me was the "come the apocalypse" for chaos. I for one would simply allow chaos to have one in any game but that's going to ruffle a few feathers.

Spiney Norman
08-03-2014, 11:25
The more shocking part of the allies chart for me was the "come the apocalypse" for chaos. I for one would simply allow chaos to have one in any game but that's going to ruffle a few feathers.

Please lets not start that one again, it has already closed more threads than I care to name. For the record I agree with you, but there are enough people (not chaos players mostly) who think it would be better for chaos players to wait the indefinite period of time until GW gets round to producing a completely different plastic kit (with tentacles) to be able to access that particular part of the game's background.

G8Keeper
08-03-2014, 11:33
Please lets not start that one again, it has already closed more threads than I care to name. For the record I agree with you, but there are enough people (not chaos players mostly) who think it would be better for chaos players to wait the indefinite period of time until GW gets round to producing a completely different plastic kit (with tentacles) to be able to access that particular part of the game's background.

No worries, hadn't seen any discussion on it since the codex came out (today) and it was confirmed is all.

Loopstah
08-03-2014, 12:57
My ebook codex contains an Inquisition entry on the allies chart. Battle brothers.

AndrewGPaul
08-03-2014, 13:15
Exactly; tenth one along, between Imperial Guard and Legion of the Damned. Clearly, Codex: Inquisition doesn't have an entry for Legion of the Damned or Imperial Knights on its allies matrix, but the Allies Matrix is symmetric, so you can easily extrapolate what the missing entries should be.

What throws things off a bit is that none of the three digital codexes - Inquisition, Legion of the Damned and Imperial Knights - includes the Black Templars icon (because they're now folded into the Space Marines) and they've moved the Sisters of Battle/Adepta Sororitas icon to the left of the row.

Codex: Imperial Knights doesn't include itself in its Allies Matrix row. Since Codex: Inquisition and Codex: Legion of the Damned both explicitly state that they can take themselves as a Primary and Allied detachment, but Codex: Imperial Knights does not, I would take this to mean that if you take a Primary Detachment of Knights, you can't add three more as Allies. :)

Spiney Norman
08-03-2014, 15:09
Exactly; tenth one along, between Imperial Guard and Legion of the Damned. Clearly, Codex: Inquisition doesn't have an entry for Legion of the Damned or Imperial Knights on its allies matrix, but the Allies Matrix is symmetric, so you can easily extrapolate what the missing entries should be.

What throws things off a bit is that none of the three digital codexes - Inquisition, Legion of the Damned and Imperial Knights - includes the Black Templars icon (because they're now folded into the Space Marines) and they've moved the Sisters of Battle/Adepta Sororitas icon to the left of the row.

Codex: Imperial Knights doesn't include itself in its Allies Matrix row. Since Codex: Inquisition and Codex: Legion of the Damned both explicitly state that they can take themselves as a Primary and Allied detachment, but Codex: Imperial Knights does not, I would take this to mean that if you take a Primary Detachment of Knights, you can't add three more as Allies. :)

No, but when you get to 6 knights (over 2200pts) you can take a second primary det anyway, which means up to another 6 knights, I guess they reasoned that once they have sold you 12 knights to fill up your two primary dets no-one would really need that increased to 18 via Imperial Knight detachments.

The Emperor
08-03-2014, 16:27

Yeah, the issue I was having, though, was that the print edition of Codex: Imperial Knights had no entry on the Inquisition, so there was no way of knowing if they were Battle Brothers or Allies of Convenience (Which was entirely possible, as the Grey Knights are also considered Allies of Convenience for them). At least the digital edition has it, apparently, although it's pretty frustrating that they didn't have the foresight to include the Inquisition in the print edition.

Well, by the time you max out at six Knights you're already over 2,000 points, so you can start adding on additional detachments anyway. ;)

Voss
08-03-2014, 17:24
Yeah, the issue I was having, though, was that the print edition of Codex: Imperial Knights had no entry on the Inquisition, so there was no way of knowing if they were Battle Brothers or Allies of Convenience (Which was entirely possible, as the Grey Knights are also considered Allies of Convenience for them). At least the digital edition has it, apparently, although it's pretty frustrating that they didn't have the foresight to include the Inquisition in the print edition.

There is a simple explanation for this, to be honest, and that is time. Print books need to be proofed, finished and a viable master copy sent to the printer months ahead of time. Digital versions don't. The print version of Codex: Imperial Knights probably preceded the Codex Inquisition book.

One more reason for GW not to muck about with physical books anymore, in addition to the normal errata they generate for their books.