PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Knight rules in both WD and codex?

Dark Primus
08-03-2014, 23:56
I dont get it.
Can someone fill me in on what the supposed Imperial Knight codex contains?
I mean the rules are already in the White Dwarf right, why is there a need for a codex to one specific model?
Is the codex just for the fluff or does it contain extra rules for some reason that was not added to the White Dwarf??

duffybear1988
09-03-2014, 00:14
Much to learn you still have, my young padawan.

The WD article is missing a couple of rules I think. The rip off codex allows you to field them as a pure knight titan army (as broken as it sounds). Oh and if you are loaded why not pick up the knight conpanion which is more fluff and pictures that could have just been included in the codex (and may have actually made it worthwhile)?

It's just another quick GW cash grab with little actual thought gone into it. Although the knight itself is a nice kit if you can handle the silly price.

MagicHat
09-03-2014, 01:10
The Knight codex have the fluff, all the special rules (D-weapon, superheavy vehicle) so you don't need the Escalation/apocalypse book, allies chart, the rules for how they ally, how they can form a primary detachment, warlord traits, and a random buff/debuff table.

The rules takes up 7 pages, 16 pages showcasing the model, then the rest is artwork and fluff. I liked the art of a female tech-adept, would love that one as a miniature.

azza88
09-03-2014, 01:48
Much to learn you still have, my young padawan.

The WD article is missing a couple of rules I think. The rip off codex allows you to field them as a pure knight titan army (as broken as it sounds). Oh and if you are loaded why not pick up the knight conpanion which is more fluff and pictures that could have just been included in the codex (and may have actually made it worthwhile)?

It's just another quick GW cash grab with little actual thought gone into it. Although the knight itself is a nice kit if you can handle the silly price.

nice one mate, very constructive.

agurus1
09-03-2014, 01:53
Do you roll on the buff/debuff table for allied Knights?

MagicHat
09-03-2014, 03:14
Do you roll on the buff/debuff table for allied Knights?

The page says: "The following rules can be used to field armies where the primary detachment is made up of Imperial Knights."

So no.

agurus1
09-03-2014, 07:09
The page says: "The following rules can be used to field armies where the primary detachment is made up of Imperial Knights."

So no.

Ah ok cool thanks. So seems like no real reason to get the codex if you are only using a Knight as an ally then?

IcedCrow
09-03-2014, 07:43
Yeah. If you're just using them as an ally you only need the white dwarf. I now have both the w hite dwarf and the codex and the codex is cool for background but not needed if you just want to run one from a gamer standpoint and not care about the background and if you aren't running full primary detachment of them the traits etc are not used.

Which actually surprises me that GW would publish the full rules in a $3.99 white dwarf. Perhaps its a test to see how it affects codex sales.

Surgency
09-03-2014, 09:19
So wait. GW gave you the option of using the Knights as an Ally or a full army. If you only want 1-2 knights to ally, all you have to do is buy a $10 White Dwarf, but if you want to field an army of them all you have to do is buy a $40 Codex.

And people are complaining that GW gave you this option?

Spiney Norman
09-03-2014, 09:30
So wait. GW gave you the option of using the Knights as an Ally or a full army. If you only want 1-2 knights to ally, all you have to do is buy a $10 White Dwarf, but if you want to field an army of them all you have to do is buy a $40 Codex.

And people are complaining that GW gave you this option?

No, I think the complaining is because GW also gave their opponent the option, quite obviously no-one is forcing them to use the knight army. The full army is pretty clearly just a money grab by GW, after all, what's better than selling someone an 85 plastic kit? Obviously its selling them five 85 plastic kits and a 25 codex, who cares if you've just treated the most over powered army the game has seen in at least 4 editions.

duffybear1988
09-03-2014, 11:05
Yeah. If you're just using them as an ally you only need the white dwarf. I now have both the w hite dwarf and the codex and the codex is cool for background but not needed if you just want to run one from a gamer standpoint and not care about the background and if you aren't running full primary detachment of them the traits etc are not used.

Which actually surprises me that GW would publish the full rules in a $3.99 white dwarf. Perhaps its a test to see how it affects codex sales.

I was in my local indie yesterday picking up a knight (at a hefty discount) and when I went to buy a copy of the WDW with the rules in it it was the only one that was sold out. There were dozens of copies of every other Weekly and Visions but not the one with the rules in. Looks like sticking new rules in WD was a step in the right direction... how many years were people telling GW that? Of course the fact that no poor sap is going to buy the knights codex unless they really have to suggests that it probably won't happen again. :)

thor2006
09-03-2014, 11:15
What is the Knight ally matrix?

Lord Damocles
09-03-2014, 11:17
The White Dwarf doesn't actually say who can take Knight allies (just that you can), so it's not quite all you need.

Axeman1n
09-03-2014, 15:10
You also need the ally Matrix

Spiney Norman
09-03-2014, 15:24
What is the Knight ally matrix?

Battle Bros
Blood angels, Dark angels, Imperial Guard, Adepta Sororitas, Space Marines, Space wolves, Inquisition, Legion of the Damned

Allies of convenience
Eldar & Grey knights

Desperate allies
Dark Eldar & Tau

Come the apocalypse
Chaos marines, Chaos daemons, Necrons, Orks, Tyranids

IcedCrow
09-03-2014, 15:25
I was in my local indie yesterday picking up a knight (at a hefty discount) and when I went to buy a copy of the WDW with the rules in it it was the only one that was sold out. There were dozens of copies of every other Weekly and Visions but not the one with the rules in. Looks like sticking new rules in WD was a step in the right direction... how many years were people telling GW that? Of course the fact that no poor sap is going to buy the knights codex unless they really have to suggests that it probably won't happen again. :)

The knight codex was almost sold out at my gw. The other store i frequent only had one left as well.

AndrewGPaul
09-03-2014, 15:31
White Dwarf issue 4 has a preview of the full rules for the Imperial Knights. It lets you use your shiny new model for a week until the Codex comes out (or lets you have a look over the rules and see if you want one), but it doesn't have the Allies Matrix or the rules for super-heavy vehicles.

Spiney Norman
09-03-2014, 15:34

If you have a poke around Dakka Dakka, and possibly even on one of the knight threads here you should be able to find some fairly good photographs of the rules pages from that WD if it is just the rules you're after.

IcedCrow
09-03-2014, 15:40
White Dwarf issue 4 has a preview of the full rules for the Imperial Knights. It lets you use your shiny new model for a week until the Codex comes out (or lets you have a look over the rules and see if you want one), but it doesn't have the Allies Matrix or the rules for super-heavy vehicles.

The super heavy rules come from apoc. If you already have apoc you do t need them. Otherwise sure youll need the codex.

The allies matrix is online in several areas as well.

AndrewGPaul
09-03-2014, 15:57
Yes, but if you buy the Codex, you don't also need to buy Apocalypse or Escalation to use the Knight, as I've seen claimed elsewhere. :)

IcedCrow
09-03-2014, 16:01
Yes this is also true.