PDA

View Full Version : Don't ask me why - 2500 points Empire

Fupduck
09-03-2014, 11:48
Due to the various stipulations of real life that us mortals try to only understand, I am making a 2500 point Empire list (as the title says - don't ask me why). I seem to be lacking my cut of job today, blame the fact I only had one cup of coffee rather than three, so I'm just going to be blatant:

Lords
Battle Wizard Lord (Lore of Life) - Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll @225pts
Heroes
Captain of the Empire (General) - Lance, Shield, Full Plate Armour, Pegasus, Dragonhelm @135pts
Captain of the Empire - Lance, Shield, Full Plate Armour, Pegasus, BSB, Tailsman of Preservation @195pts
Master Engineer - Ruby Ring of Ruin @90pts
Core Units
11x Archers @77pts (Deplyed 2x6, Wizard here)
5x Archers @35pts
5x Archers @35pts
5x Knightly Orders - Preceptor @120pts
Special Units
3x Demigryphs - Standard Bearer @184pts (Deployed 4x1, BSB here)
3x Demigryphs - Standard Bearer @184pts (Deployed 4x1, General here)
Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Rare Units
Helblaster Volley Gun (manned by Master Engineer)
Steam Tank
Steam Tank

You know when a list is boring when you use the Ctrl Paste key seven times over.

Total: 2490points

You also know that WHFB doesn't make sense when the noble knights of the Empire are being used as chaff units. Well, that's what they're supposed to do, yes?

The plan itself pretty damn simple. I shoot things. Then I charge them. Then they die. Then I win. Empire in a nutshell.

I'm uncertain as to whether I like Lore of thuglyfe or Lore or Jesus Zeus in this list. The former gives this a lot more staying power with the respective lore attribute that restores wounds to the Stanks/Demis and Regrowth which is like Nehekharan undead but a million times better as it brings back units that are worth bringing back. Also, Throne of Vines + The Retarded 18+/21+ cast thing is really sweet, as I can six dice the latter and ignore the resultant miscast with the former. And Flesh to Stone of Demis/Stanks (lol) is just a war crime.

On the other hand, Lore of Jesus Zeus gives me a Jesus that's a big comet and some appropriate lightning bolts to appease the Zeus Lord of the Heavens. And it kills flyers, which are a bugger against this list. And I get Harmonic Convergence, something that results in genocides of nations when cast upon Demis/Knights. But some of the spells, like the D3 + 1" push one are just horrifying.

Borgomos
09-03-2014, 12:51
The Army General seems awfully squishy...

Yowzo
09-03-2014, 12:57

Sure. At least an AS re-roll would look much better.

Fupduck
10-03-2014, 00:15

Now, there's an issue with this:

1. I literally can't drop anything from the Core, as it totals to 627 points.
2. I can't drop the banners from the Demis, as if I do, I instalose blood and glory.
3. I'd rather not have banners in place of the Preceptors on the knights, because 5 chaff knights die anyway.
4. I'd also rather not drop the RRoR on the Master Engineer, as without it, I'm essentially spending 65 points to give a warmachine artillery dice re-rolls and BS4.
5. Good news is that I miscalculated the points total, so I actually have 10 points left over. I can make it 17 if I drop the dragonhelm + shield on the general and give him an enchanted shield.
6. I suppose if I can find 8 points, I can get the general a Dawnstone...

Yowzo
10-03-2014, 13:55
Now, there's an issue with this:

1. I literally can't drop anything from the Core, as it totals to 627 points.
2. I can't drop the banners from the Demis, as if I do, I instalose blood and glory.
3. I'd rather not have banners in place of the Preceptors on the knights, because 5 chaff knights die anyway.
4. I'd also rather not drop the RRoR on the Master Engineer, as without it, I'm essentially spending 65 points to give a warmachine artillery dice re-rolls and BS4.
5. Good news is that I miscalculated the points total, so I actually have 10 points left over. I can make it 17 if I drop the dragonhelm + shield on the general and give him an enchanted shield.
6. I suppose if I can find 8 points, I can get the general a Dawnstone...

I'd drop a cannon. With 4 cannon already on the table (2GC + 2 Stanks) you can do without one.

Those points would allow you to bump those DGK to 4.

AM1640
10-03-2014, 21:01
Only one thing to do...
Why?
Darn it, I screwed up again.

Jind_Singh
10-03-2014, 21:21
1) Main issue: While your list is pretty standard cut & paste there is 2 major weaknesses - the moment you play against an army that ALSO has cannons you're in deep doo-doo because your BSB and general are just 1 cannonball in the face from death! being a cavalry unity type they won't get any look-out-sir protection - so they belong with normal Knights.

2) Points - as mentioned by someone above you have lots of cannons - so by all means drop one to get more points (e.g. bump up a core unit of Knights to say 10 and hide the characters in there), or do something - but not only are 4 cannons redundant, they are also a royal pain to face as an opponent - and you won't be making too many friends with 4 cannons in a list!

Otherwise a fine list - I'm more partial to aggresive magic lores vs life - but that's my playstyle - vs an opinion over which lore is better

Yowzo
10-03-2014, 21:43
1) Main issue: While your list is pretty standard cut & paste there is 2 major weaknesses - the moment you play against an army that ALSO has cannons you're in deep doo-doo because your BSB and general are just 1 cannonball in the face from death! being a cavalry unity type they won't get any look-out-sir protection - so they belong with normal Knights.

They would get a LoS if there were at least 5 DGK on the unit since they're riding pegasus.

Against a list with cannons I'd run them solo and hope for terrain cover.

Fupduck
11-03-2014, 07:25
You won't be making too many friends with 4 cannons in a list!

Mate, as a person who plays Warhammer 24/7, I don't have any friends. Period.

In such a case, I did a little revision:

Lords
Battle Wizard Lord (Lore of Life) (General - god this guy is going to get shanked) - Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Tailsman of Preservation @270pts
Heroes
Captain of the Empire - Lance, Shield, Armour of Destiny, Warhorse w/ Barding, BSB @165pts
Master Engineer - Ruby Ring of Ruin, Light Armour ('cos spare points) @91pts
Core Units
10x Archers @77pts (Deplyed 2x5, Wizard here)
5x Archers @35pts
5x Archers @35pts
9x Knightly Orders - Full Command @228pts (Deployed 2x5 BSB here)
6x Knightly Orders @132pts
6x Knightly Orders @132pts
Special Units
4x Demigryphs - Standard Bearer @242pts
4x Demigryphs - Standard Bearer @242pts
Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Rare Units
Helblaster Volley Gun (manned by Master Engineer)
Steam Tank
Steam Tank

Total: 2497 points

Well. There's nice orkish omnepotia stating: "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA (insert exclamation marks here)" indicating that one can never have enough gunz.

grumbaki
12-03-2014, 19:18
Seems to me that an army as mobile as that wouldn't be dragging great cannons with them. It looks much more like a mobile response force. Cavalry, skirmishers and steam tanks, all are fasting moving. I'd drop both cannons just because they don't fit the 'theme' and because you already have the two steam tanks. For the same reason I'd drop the engineer and the helblaster.

I'd then take all of those spare points, and get myself...

(1) A warrior priest! Knights love warrior priests. You are trying to cause hurt on the charge with lances. Hatred really helps with that. Plus you can throw prayers around.
(2) Outriders! Yeah, losing the helblaster hurts. Know what would make you feel better? Fast cavalry with machine guns.
(3) Because you would suddenly have spare points and would be down a few cannons, why not go for the coup de grace? Markus Wulfhart. He's a monster hunter (something which may be useful if you "only" go with the two cannons on the steam tanks) and can take upgraded huntsmen.

You'd be left with a themed army where everything is mounted or skirmishers. Which is great fun. I ran such an army last edition and loved using them.

Fupduck
15-03-2014, 07:47
(...) they don't fit the 'theme' (...)

Ho. Ly. Potatoes. There's someone on these forums who would actually suggest to play a themed list? Well, I congratulate you Sir. You have managed not to conform to social standards. Unlike me. I have the strong preference to building powerful lists even if, theme wise, they make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I mean, er, we all know that it's the demigryphs we strap the cannons to and, um, that's how we get around right? Or, uh, we put the cannons in the steam tanks. And the, er, helblaster volley gun is a fold-up, so the Captain keeps it up his sleeve. Yes.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

BTW, I also made a slight edition to the list:

Lords
Battle Wizard Lord (Lore of Heavens) (General - But hopefully no shaking this time) - Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Tailsman of Preservation, Pegasus @315pts
Heroes
Captain - Lance, Enchanted Shield, Full Plate Armour, Warhorse, BSB, Potion of Foolhardiness ('cos who doesn't like devastating charge on knights?) @120pts
Master Engineer - RRoR, Light Armour @91pts
Core Units
11x Archers @77pts
5x Archers @35pts
5x Archers @35pts
9x Knights - Preceptor, Standard @218pts
6x Knights
6x Knights
Special Units
4x Demigryphs - Standard @242pts
4x Demigryphs - Standard @242pts
Great Cannon