PDA

View Full Version : Rumored Units that never came to be...

Beppo1234
09-03-2014, 15:26
are there any units that were at one time heavily rumored to be in the pipeline, but never made it into production (or existence), but that you really wanted/still want?

For me, when the DAs were last being updated, the rumor of the Chaplain only interrogation squad was one I was really hoping for. I didn't like some of the characteristics that were being thrown around (ie. like that they would all be dual pistol wielding gunfighters (stupid imo)), but I really liked the idea of the DAs having a special squad for the purposes of their hunt and capture. Also, a bunch of robed chaplains in a squad would look really cool.

are there any other rumored units for other armies that never made it to reality, but you think would have been an awesome addition to your force?

AndrewGPaul
09-03-2014, 15:36
Any of the stuff from the 2nd edition "Imperial Agents" army list; Adeptus Mechanicus Electro-Priests, for example.

A.T.
09-03-2014, 16:06
Pretty much every year there are rumours of plastic sisters of battle and a real codex. Never happens though.

HereComesTomorrow
09-03-2014, 16:34
Plastic Greater Daemons.

People still insist they exist though.

Camman1984
09-03-2014, 18:38
Wasnt their rumours about a large scale imperial walker a month or two ago? Whatever happened to that?

I heard rumours about eldar exodites and harlequins getting a dex last year. And a codex mercenaries.

jason_sation
09-03-2014, 18:58
When the latest Tau Codex was coming out, there were lots of rumors about new Xenos that would be helping out the cause of the Greater Good. The biggest one was the Demiurg. Unfortunately, none of these appeared, and in fact, the Kroot and Vespid are Direct Only!

Lord Damocles
09-03-2014, 19:02
Fishmen! (in SPAAACE!)

Milanovitch
09-03-2014, 19:03
And that Voidraven bomber.... Rumoured, spoted and forgotten...:shifty:

Surgency
09-03-2014, 19:07
Wasnt their rumours about a large scale imperial walker a month or two ago? Whatever happened to that?

The Imperial Knights say hello

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Formerly Wu
09-03-2014, 19:29
There's been a boatload of obviously fabricated units cropping up in rumors over the past few years. I think some of my favorites were the Blood Angel mad scientist w/ Frankenstein-esque monster, the redo of Eldar Shining Spears as chariots with new Phoenix Lord, and Skull Champions riding juggernauts.

Reading archived rumor roundup posts from about 2010 onwards is a fun way to learn to manage one's expectations about GW releases.

Gusthehut
10-03-2014, 10:43
I was looking forward to there being a chaos fortification in the codex like was rumoured but alas it never came to pass

Denny
10-03-2014, 10:57
And that Voidraven bomber.... Rumoured, spoted and forgotten...:shifty:

It is the only thing I still need to finish my army.
Argh!!!!! :)

Also the plastic greater daemons. The current ones are looking pretty sorry for themselves . . . its hard to believe they haven't been replaced yet . . .

Chem-Dog
10-03-2014, 12:04
Plastic Greater Daemons.

People still insist they exist though.

No more metal models, phasing out resin....what's left? Plastic GD's will be out at some point, the fact they have more utility to players (being both 40K and Fantasy) suggests it'll be sooner rather than later But as the main associated books are all fairly recently updated, who knows?

I spoke with a redshirt some time ago (just pror to the release of the Doctrines Codex) who swore blind he'd seen IG whiteshields on a visit to GWHQ, I've always been a little disappointed they didn't materialise.

Greatcoat Guard.

\there's probably a butt-load more that I can't think of right now.

Nazguire
10-03-2014, 12:57
The winner of this crown will always be plastic Sisters of Battle.

Lanacane
10-03-2014, 13:02
You mean the rumour that Demiurgs or Squats coming back isn't considered the winner?

DoctorTom
10-03-2014, 18:48
In the back of the 4th edition main rulebook they had a listing of units, and for Eldar they listed the Bonesinger.

Flame Boy
10-03-2014, 19:20
Speaking of Eldar, Remember those "Everguard"? They would have been pretty nice if the arrived, but it would have diluted the Craftworld Eldar reliance on Guardians and Aspect Warriors. Oh, and there were rumours of an Ork vehicle that I supposed was based on the old Mekboy Speedsta's. I think the name bandied around was a "Deff Racer"?

Fingers
10-03-2014, 19:23
Giant Necrons MC "Necromancer"

Griefbringer
10-03-2014, 19:49
Fishmen! (in SPAAACE!)

Well, you could always try using space marine codex to represent them, just call them Fishmarines and claim that they were part of the second floundering. For example, their motorpikes with sidecarps could simply simply be counted as attack bikes.

wyvirn
10-03-2014, 20:08
The rebirth of Genestealer cults.

Ramius4
10-03-2014, 20:09
Thunderhawk Gunship.

Lanacane
10-03-2014, 20:17
Thunderhawk Gunship.

You mean this? (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Grey-Knights/THUNDERHAWK_GUNSHIP.html)

Darth Bobo
11-03-2014, 08:27
Well, you could always try using space marine codex to represent them, just call them Fishmarines and claim that they were part of the second floundering. For example, their motorpikes with sidecarps could simply simply be counted as attack bikes.

Nicely done :)

misterboff
11-03-2014, 08:42
I believe there were several 'Brets in space' sounding kits rumoured for Black Templars before the latest SM codex too.

Born Again
11-03-2014, 09:40
Models that never happened, or rumoured unit entries in codex books that never turned up?

For the former, the lack of a plastic GUO is basically the reason I haven't done a Daemons army yet, specifically hoping it doubles as Ku'Gath. Aside from that, I guess Sisters, just because they deserve it and I'm interested to see how they turn out (I may even play them if they're impressive enough), and Lady Malys - the only model missing to complete my Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue army. I'll throw in Electro Priests here too, even though they technically had models at one point, it was so long ago they're basically forgotten and I've always thought an AdMech army would be really cool. They could do some great things for them with the current plastics technology. Lastly, I'm going to say Foulspawn, the Nurgle daemon prince character from the 2nd edition Codex.

As for rumoured units rules-wise, Squig cavalry for the Orks, Demiurg alongside the Tau, and tortured wraithbone constructs for the Dark Eldar have all been mentioned in the lead up to book releases.

The Custodian
11-03-2014, 09:46
The first wave of 'rumours' about the 6th ed CSM codex (Remember the 'chrono gladiators?') was rather interesting and sounded sweet. Shame it was all BS created by one guy...

totgeboren
11-03-2014, 09:59
The Eldar/Dark Eldar jetbikes. I remember that Eldar jetbike model that looked really nice, yet here we are using the same one ones we have had since 2ed.

wyvirn
11-03-2014, 13:02
The first wave of 'rumours' about the 6th ed CSM codex (Remember the 'chrono gladiators?') was rather interesting and sounded sweet. Shame it was all BS created by one guy...

I thought it was several people making complete crap up with one or two lucky half truths?

BTJ
11-03-2014, 13:31
Codex:Alien hunters. And rending ponies :P

tu33y
11-03-2014, 14:31
plastic thunderbolt... i even remember a fake box being banded around. plastic stormtroopers of course... although may be about to break

madprophet
11-03-2014, 14:53
I'd like to see the IG Bikers and IG Jet Bikes from 2nd Edition return... but there are always conversions and counts as

Ayin
11-03-2014, 14:58
The Eldar/Dark Eldar jetbikes. I remember that Eldar jetbike model that looked really nice, yet here we are using the same one ones we have had since 2ed.

That Guardian Jetbiker mdoel from years ago that was never released/went into production was amazing, and it never happening was brutal.

TheBearminator
11-03-2014, 15:13
I remember a picture of green stuff sculpts that was supposed to be IG veterans, before the last IG release. I think I downloaded the picture somewhere.

drbored
11-03-2014, 15:21
Hrud.

There were also rumors of kroot mercenaries that we've yet to see...

But again, think of any metal/finecast model.. think of the themes those models follow...

Kroot mercs would give them a chance to release plastic kroot hounds and krootox, and maybe something bigger. Vespids as well.

Any of the 4 Chaos God-type books would allow for the release of a plastic Greater Daemon alongside cult troops like Plague Marines and Thousand Sons.

What else is still metal...? There's a few odds and ends out there, and I'm sure as we progress forward, we'll see GW get more daring with some of these releases, especially when it means making a cheap digital edition that they can sell for raw profit (You can't convince me that 35 dollars for a supplement or mini-dex isn't at least 50% markup over cost). If they can throw in some models to go along with those releases? Even better, because then you've got fresh pictures of minis in the new codexes and White Dwarves and Warhammer Visions.

Speculation:

We'll see the 4 Chaos God books in relatively quick succession (over the next year or so) alongside Keeper of Secrets + Noise Marines, Greater Unclean One + Plague Marines, Bloodthirster + Khorne Berzerkers, and Lord of Change + Thousand Sons.

ismeno
11-03-2014, 16:12
Two words; Pan Fo. This must be their year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chem-Dog
11-03-2014, 16:52
I'm going to say Foulspawn, the Nurgle daemon prince character from the 2nd edition Codex..

Don't think they (Foulspawn, N'kari, Doombreed) were ever rumoured to be coming out as models.

Think Jes is on record as saying there was an either/or choice between jetbikes and Wraith stuff, the Jetbikes currently in production already being plastic tipped it in the Wraiths' favour.

Beppo1234
11-03-2014, 17:02

this is definitely a big one. That new style jetbike was from pre 2000 I think, yet the Eldar bikes are still the 2nd edition ones.

anyone remember when the tests for the 40mm plastic terminators were floating around? I was disappointed that they didn't use the dreadnought style powerfist that the original test model had. I would give a nut for FW to produce some terminator arms with that style of PF

Beebart
11-03-2014, 22:42
I entered the picture too late to know Genestealer cults, but I heard a rumour a while back they'd return, and it was a little annoying they didn't.

Voss
11-03-2014, 22:55
That Guardian Jetbiker mdoel from years ago that was never released/went into production was amazing, and it never happening was brutal.

I think this is the one that will always get me the most, simply because there was actually a prototype model (physically at a Games Day no less) and a pic.

Genestealer cults were always more of a theory of 'with allies they could easily do this' rather than a real rumour. Its just a shame that it hasn't happened.

Leftenant Gashrog
12-03-2014, 00:18
simply because there was actually a prototype model (physically at a Games Day no less) and a pic.

Genestealer cults were always more of a theory

Picture (leftmost mini) of Genestealer Magus green at Gamesday 2012:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1348330538/gallery_2_3711_29559.jpg

AndrewGPaul
12-03-2014, 00:34
Probably a new sculptor's test piece, not a "prototype" as such. I remember seeing some new Tallarn greens at Caledonian Conflict a few years back. There was no intent to release them, they were just to see if the sculptor (who went on to do the plastic Horrors, IIRC) could match the style of an existing range.

Lanacane
12-03-2014, 01:28

tbh that looks like a fantasy death magician..

probably why it never made it past the green stuff stage.

wyvirn
12-03-2014, 02:08
Yeah, it looks just like the old one, and I couldn't see FW just basically 're releasing' a model when they could sculpt a new one or style.

MadHatter
12-03-2014, 04:44
In the back of the 4th edition main rulebook they had a listing of units, and for Eldar they listed the Bonesinger.

they actually made this model. I have one from when I worked at GW. I believe it was a games day model.

wyvirn
12-03-2014, 05:17
No , it came as a limited edition model, I think you got it for buying a battle box.

MadHatter
12-03-2014, 05:31
No , it came as a limited edition model, I think you got it for buying a battle box.

It did not come in either of my battle boxes, I got the limited edition Autarch. I really did get mine from my boss when I work for GW we had six boxes of blisters in the back and I asked if i could buy one. Instead he game me and one of my co workers one and took the others with him. So i am pretty sure they did not come in a battle box.

Born Again
12-03-2014, 08:46
Don't think they (Foulspawn, N'kari, Doombreed) were ever rumoured to be coming out as models.

They weren't, I was just mentioning units that existed in the rules, but remained model-less.

Pojko
12-03-2014, 09:33
Great coat Imperial Guard have been rumored for the past 10 years or so.

AndrewGPaul
12-03-2014, 09:41
It did not come in either of my battle boxes, I got the limited edition Autarch. I really did get mine from my boss when I work for GW we had six boxes of blisters in the back and I asked if i could buy one. Instead he game me and one of my co workers one and took the others with him. So i am pretty sure they did not come in a battle box.

The Collecting Citadel Miniatures wiki (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) lists it as "Webstore Bonesinger (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Eldar_(Warhammer_40k_4th_Edition)_-_Collectors_Guide#Limited_Edition_Figures)".

corps
12-03-2014, 10:43
Actually, you can't count the fishman as a rumored minis. The fishman was a limited edition. http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Limited_Release_-_Piscean_Warrior.jpg .

AndrewGPaul
12-03-2014, 10:47
An army of fishmen is a rumour, though.

Although that's apparently because "Fishmen" is just a placeholder on the planning boards for when they've got nothing planned yet. :)

corps
12-03-2014, 11:24
oh so not just minis but units ok then.

Lanacane
12-03-2014, 11:43
An army of fishmen is a rumour, though.

Although that's apparently because "Fishmen" is just a placeholder on the planning boards for when they've got nothing planned yet. :)

is that what tau became?

Fishmen?

Paint it Red
12-03-2014, 17:24
From the top of my head

1. Greatcoat guardsman in plastic; rumored from 2005
2. New eldar jet bikes; prototype seen in 2007
3. Release of squats in tau codex 2011
4. New vespid unit 2012; all tau auxiliary unit rumors never materialized

Also look at this thread for unreleased models that have pictures released.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?40872-Lost-in-the-Warp-%28Unreleased-Models%29

Beppo1234
12-03-2014, 17:27

I still so want the DW Standard Bearor.

Mr. Ultra
12-03-2014, 17:33
The plastic greatcoats regiment. Appearing in rumours again and again since 1999...

Paint it Red
12-03-2014, 17:39
is that what tau became?

Fishmen?

The warhammer armies fishman were a joke around the year 2000. It was for fantasy not 40k. There were 'rumours' that the army contained a new unit called crabs. These units were unique in that they match sideways. The guys who worked in m local gw shops knew the rumors were false and when ever there was talk about new armies fishmen of course were the focus. Of course in some shops fishmen were a cross game release and would be able to be used in 40k, fantasy and any other gw game.

Paint it Red
12-03-2014, 17:47
Other rumors

5. Plastic thunderhawk the last rumor i heard was for 2013 release; hmm. Rumors began in 2006 when apocalypse was first released.
6. Inquisitor skirmish game, was to be released in 2013 September. This probably turned out to be the inquisitor dataslates before were knew that dataslates were going to be a thing.

TimLeeson
12-03-2014, 17:57
Hrud/Umbra, Demiurg and of course Sisters are the rumours that were sadly untrue :(
Would of loved all of those!

Hendarion
12-03-2014, 18:26
The larger "Eldar Land Raider Transport equivalent", plastic Aspects and new Eldar Jetbike.

And of course... FISHMEN!

Sildani
12-03-2014, 18:33
Eldar Ulthwe Black Warden. Who was supposed to be female.

Also, the Lamia fighter/Moon Siren bomber. Which we kinda got.

Saunders
12-03-2014, 18:46

There was a larger and a smaller box post-release. One came with the Autarch, the other with the Bonesinger.

All the more puzzling as to why the Bonesinger never made it in to the 4th edition codex.

librerian_samae
12-03-2014, 21:06
There was a larger and a smaller box post-release. One came with the Autarch, the other with the Bonesinger.

All the more puzzling as to why the Bonesinger never made it in to the 4th edition codex.

Didn't come in any box deal it was a store/web exclusive that was available for about a month as the poster you replied to said, very much like inquisitor lok (I managed to blag both) the bone singer now stands in as my spirit seer.

Voss
12-03-2014, 21:43
The plastic greatcoats regiment. Appearing in rumours again and again since 1999...

Yeah. I was... not terribly surprised to see it rear its head again yesterday. I just smiled quietly to myself.

Mit Gas
12-03-2014, 22:08
I firmly believe we can add Chaos Chosen to that list by now. :P

Mr. Ultra
12-03-2014, 22:28
Hrud/Umbra, Demiurg and of course Sisters are the rumours that were sadly untrue :(
Would of loved all of those!

You can make your own umbras easily, after all they are nothing more that big black balls...

TimLeeson
12-03-2014, 23:47
You can make your own umbras easily, after all they are nothing more that big black balls...

That's only one depiction of them, theres is another piece of art that shows them with all kinds of horrible limbs, tentacles, gapping mouths where they are fighting space marines, and they look awesome. Xenology left it fairly ambigious allowing one to decide which of the looks they prefer the best.

Easy E
13-03-2014, 17:15
And rending ponies :P

That one comes from the archives of warseer. Nice. :)

In the 2nd Edition Imperial Guard book, it mentions allying with the upcoming Codex: Squats. I would have liked to see that happen.

Nurgling Chieftain
13-03-2014, 18:25
Rending ponies = Seekers of Slaanesh :p

Inquisitor Engel
24-03-2014, 05:00
I will give one Internet cookie who can tell me where the "rending ponies" joke came from originally. I remember, and it's long taken on a none-too-useful life of its own.

Shadeseraph
24-03-2014, 11:43
There were rumours of a tau flyer transport for XV-8 crisis teams that could drop them mid flight. I would have loved that.

Also, there were rumours of stealth suits being remade as a dual kit, with the second unit being a close combat specialist that could use piranha squadrons as a transport. I imagined that rather than close combat they would work in a way similar to the Hazard suits, but lightweight and based on stealth and misdirection. The idea was awesome.

I ended making rules for those, anyway, because the concept appealed to me a lot, and at some point I may try to kitbash them and get a couple games.

Nazguire
24-03-2014, 12:36
I will give one Internet cookie who can tell me where the "rending ponies" joke came from originally. I remember, and it's long taken on a none-too-useful life of its own.

Phil Kelly coming onto Warseerr when people were crying foul about rending and how 'every unit' was getting rendi, including rending ponies.

Inquisitor Engel
24-03-2014, 17:13
Phil Kelly coming onto Warseerr when people were crying foul about rending and how 'every unit' was getting rendi, including rending ponies.

It was not Phil Kelly (it was GW's project manager at the time, an American who came over from the video game industry) but yes, it was basically a hyperbole to show how ridiculous everyone was being.

That one comes from the archives of warseer. Nice. :)

IIRC it was Portent.

shabbadoo
26-03-2014, 08:44
For me, when the DAs were last being updated, the rumor of the Chaplain only interrogation squad was one I was really hoping for.

That was never a rumor, just a wishlist unit. Big difference between the two.

Now, a unit I would liked to have seen would be "Ork Killer Squig Riders". There was concept art for them, but nothing came of it. As to the Dark Angels, the concept sketches of the Dark Angels Scout and the robed and hooded sword bearing marine were great. Very thematic art, but nothing came of those either.

Avian
26-03-2014, 09:27
It was fabrication presented as a rumour, to be precise. So no difference. It was never presented as a wishlist.

Senbei
26-03-2014, 12:22
'Advanced 40k' has popped up a couple of times.

Separate Legions and standard CSM codex too.

The worst offender I can remember would probably be the Ork Buggies/Tracks kit though.

Lord Damocles
26-03-2014, 21:31
Ah, the plastic Necron Lord/Destroyer Lord combi-kit

and the Necronmancer

and the artillery Spyder

and the Monolith variant(s)

...it's almost like most of those pre-Codex: Necrons rumours were just stabs in the dark, based on existing background units (presented in prior 'rumour'/wishlisting threads) and obvious likely models... :shifty:

Lanacane
26-03-2014, 23:46
and the Monolith variant(s)

which you did get in the form of the Tesseract Vault and the other thing

They are Variant Monoliths

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2014, 00:24
'Advanced 40k' has popped up a couple of times.

A standard game of Horus Heresy plays out pretty close. ;)

Separate Legions and standard CSM codex too.

We might just see this from the digital/dataslates. They HINTED at Night Lords stuff on their Facebook... Crimson Slaughter was a nice bone to many players AND was a reasonably good read. I quite enjoyed the story of their fall. Felt plausible, and the characters were well defined. I was pleasantly surprised.

Beppo1234
27-03-2014, 02:44
That was never a rumor, just a wishlist unit. Big difference between the two.

it was a rumor, until it wasn't a rumor... and it would have made a very, very cool looking unit, and might have saved me from chopping up all these poor Asmodai metals. But with my luck, GW would have messed such a unit up with poor aesthetic choice. (I wish production capacity had been put into that wishlist idea, rather than the landspeeder ugly, and the barktalons)

Sanai
27-03-2014, 03:46
How about the rumoured big flying "Hellwraith" for the VC? (Which turned out to just be the Terrorgheist)

Tyrelli
27-03-2014, 13:05
People suggested that Doomrider was going to make a comeback after he appeared in a recent book

And the Plastic Greater deamons .. come on GW lets have them please :)

new Obliterators in plastic

Horus38
27-03-2014, 13:57
And the Plastic Greater deamons .. come on GW lets have them please :)

Quoted for truth, the lack of a plastic greater demon kit has been one of the few things holding me up from constructing a small demon warband. This seems like such an obvious thing that GW should put out there.

Lord Damocles
27-03-2014, 21:46
which you did get in the form of the Tesseract Vault and the other thing

They are Variant Monoliths
Given that they came out several years later than supposed; aren't based on the Monolith hull, but a larger variation; and don't resemble the descriptions given (orb version springs to mind); I'm gonna go with 'no'.

Lanacane
27-03-2014, 22:41
Given that they came out several years later than supposed; aren't based on the Monolith hull, but a larger variation; and don't resemble the descriptions given (orb version springs to mind); I'm gonna go with 'no'.

But they are indeed the "rumored" variants.

Just because it didnt fit the description of the two-bit nobody who made the rumour up.. didnt mean it never happened

Son of Perturabo
28-03-2014, 20:26
New Abbadon model! He's got to be just about the oldest model in the whole range by now. Been around since at least 1996 (features on the cover of the book How to make Wargames Terrain which was published '96) and has stuck around now through 4 separate new codexes! I was sure when the latest edition hit he'd finally get an update.....

WLBjork
28-03-2014, 20:49
New Abbadon model! He's got to be just about the oldest model in the whole range by now. Been around since at least 1996 (features on the cover of the book How to make Wargames Terrain which was published '96) and has stuck around now through 4 separate new codexes! I was sure when the latest edition hit he'd finally get an update.....

Ragnar Blackmane says hi :p

(also, Ulrik and Njall iirc)

Beppo1234
29-03-2014, 01:24

he did kind of. But i dont think he was ever rumored to have been getting an update... maybe I just didn't see it. I've always felt that GW shouldn't actually update him, but rather, repackage his bits (his head and both special hands) in resin/metal/whatever, and include it in the plastic CSM Terminator lord box. Everybody and their grandmother has done that kit bash, as the bits are almost born to fit together nicely with only minor alteration.

Beppo1234
29-03-2014, 01:26

Nigel got updated, Ulrik though suffering from scale creep is still an amazing model. Ragnar is really the poorest of that generation of models that needs an update.

Son of Perturabo
30-03-2014, 22:37

Oh god I'd forgotten about Ragnar! Yeah definitely needs an overhaul.

Beppo, as far as I know you are right there has never been a rumour that Abbadon is getting a new model, but thats not to say he shouldn't. The most recent work done was just the general clean up of the mold that all models converted to finecast got. I see your point about just whacking his head and weapons in resin and putting in with the Lord set, or as a mail order conversion kit, but realistically thats only a short term fix in my opinion. Although the model isn't as awful as Ragnar, I can't help but feel when you sit him next to other terminator armoured characters, the likes of Typhus, Grimnar or Draigo, he doesn't have the same presence, and he really should!

Lanacane
30-03-2014, 22:49

Beppo, as far as I know you are right there has never been a rumour that Abbadon is getting a new model, but thats not to say he shouldn't. The most recent work done was just the general clean up of the mold that all models converted to finecast got. I see your point about just whacking his head and weapons in resin and putting in with the Lord set, or as a mail order conversion kit, but realistically thats only a short term fix in my opinion. Although the model isn't as awful as Ragnar, I can't help but feel when you sit him next to other terminator armoured characters, the likes of Typhus, Grimnar or Draigo, he doesn't have the same presence, and he really should!

FW gave him a shiny new larger than life model.

Its a simple hand and head swap to make him 40k legal.

Inquisitor Engel
30-03-2014, 23:20
Nigel got updated, Ulrik though suffering from scale creep is still an amazing model. Ragnar is really the poorest of that generation of models that needs an update.

Dante, Mephiston, Ezekiel and Azrael are all early-mid Second Edition. Grimnar is one of the best Chapter Master models out there, but now barely the size of a Space Marine...

Dr. Who
31-03-2014, 00:18
It was not Phil Kelly (it was GW's project manager at the time, an American who came over from the video game industry) but yes, it was basically a hyperbole to show how ridiculous everyone was being.

Steve Pritchard? I seem to remember him being an occasional poster on Portent, though he wasn't with GW for very long IIRC.

- Dr.

Beppo1234
31-03-2014, 01:47

he got the FW treatment is more what I meant, not finecast.

Beppo1234
31-03-2014, 01:51
Dante, Mephiston, Ezekiel and Azrael are all early-mid Second Edition. Grimnar is one of the best Chapter Master models out there, but now barely the size of a Space Marine...

Most of the 2nd Edition command models are still current... and I don't think GW will top them anytime soon. The only thing any of them need, is a little work on the base to boost the model up a couple of millimeters in height. Easy enough to do, and be completely invisible. I actually just finished an Ezekiel, and he looks fine without any height work. The banners Azreal and Ezekiel a while ago are really helpful in keeping them current

WLBjork
31-03-2014, 05:06

Poor Grimnar, received a model around 3rd edition, then the size of Terminators is upped...

Although I like to think of it as Artificier Terminator Armour :shifty:

Hendarion
31-03-2014, 06:01
The topic drifted off a little to wishlisting, ah?

Inquisitor Engel
31-03-2014, 18:14
Most of the 2nd Edition command models are still current... and I don't think GW will top them anytime soon. The only thing any of them need, is a little work on the base to boost the model up a couple of millimeters in height. Easy enough to do, and be completely invisible. I actually just finished an Ezekiel, and he looks fine without any height work. The banners Azreal and Ezekiel a while ago are really helpful in keeping them current

The detail work is great, but the size creep and the poses are very lacking. That said, I'd rather stick with what we have now than have to deal with another Belial...

All that said, my personal favourite unreleased mini is the "bounty hunter" that was rumoured to be the concept piece for new-look Tallarn troopers. It never materialized.

Lanacane
31-03-2014, 19:55
another Belial...

Its not his fault that he desperately needs the toilet.. every marine has his needs

Spider-pope
31-03-2014, 21:43
he did kind of. But i dont think he was ever rumored to have been getting an update... maybe I just didn't see it. I've always felt that GW shouldn't actually update him, but rather, repackage his bits (his head and both special hands) in resin/metal/whatever, and include it in the plastic CSM Terminator lord box. Everybody and their grandmother has done that kit bash, as the bits are almost born to fit together nicely with only minor alteration.

Oh he was. I think the description given by someone who had "definitely seen him" was nuAbaddon being somewhere between a mortal and a Daemon Prince.

Beppo1234
31-03-2014, 22:07
The detail work is great, but the size creep and the poses are very lacking. That said, I'd rather stick with what we have now than have to deal with another Belial...

All that said, my personal favourite unreleased mini is the "bounty hunter" that was rumoured to be the concept piece for new-look Tallarn troopers. It never materialized.

they're posing is fantastic, especially given that they literally had to be built on a 2 dimensional plane... and for the most part, IMO, GW hasn't really surpassed them in any way, even with better 3D tech and experience. Really the only one out of that whole lot that has aged at all is Ragnar, and his posing was poor even way back in the dark ages of the early 90s. But the rest are fantastic. Azrael, Ezekiel, the old Nigel, Asmodai, Dante, Mephiston, Ulrik... all great poses and great models, just scale creeped. I've recently painted and brought most of these up to date in last little while, or have them sitting on deck to be painted.

I have a conversion idea, that I hope might fix the belial model (or atleast make use of the weird leg position)