PDA

View Full Version : New Warhammer 40k Ethernal Crusade MMORPG?

saberslash127
10-03-2014, 07:28
Great News! maybe....maybe not......but Games Workshop along with Behaviour Interactive is currently making a MMORPG video game based around the 40k settings of Warhammmer....

Link: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/phase

How do you guys feel about this? I for one is sorta have my doubts.....I for one don't trust Games Workshop at making anything other then table-tops, for they have a history of really messing up potentially good games...."cough" "cough" Warhammer Online..."cough"

Probably the only gaming company I could trust in the creation of a proper warhammer game would be Relic, but since they've been bought off by Sega, I don't know of any possible game anytime soon.....hopefully they do....

Anyways what you guys think about this game? From the pre-alpha footage I found in youtube....the gameplay mechanics look similiar to Space Marine, but the thing that draws me in was the fact that you could play as the Orcs and Eldar! oh and did I almost forget to mention its "suppose" to be a "MMORPG"? Could this be a possible re-do of Dark Millienum? I sure hope so :D

Voss
10-03-2014, 07:51
Very old news. See the computers forum for several threads.

As for quality, eh. It looks bad, and the company producing it is making a lot of questionable design decisions to chase a monetization model I find particularly dubious. In general, though GW makes a mistake with computer licenses by not exercising enough authority. There are quite a few things they should have squelched, rather than letting a the licensees and publishers run with bad decisions- which was most of the problem with Warhammer online, the terrible storm of vengeance thing, fire warrior and on and on.

RanaldLoec
10-03-2014, 08:53
Its a phone / tablet market aimed game don't expect much more than a old fashioned 2D screen crawl.

I played the demo at Gamesday last year it's a 5 minute bus ride game, ok but not designed to keep you enthralled for hours.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sir Didymus
10-03-2014, 10:15
How do you guys feel about this? I for one is sorta have my doubts.....I for one don't trust Games Workshop at making anything other then table-tops, for they have a history of really messing up potentially good games...."cough" "cough" Warhammer Online..."cough"

Its debatable, whether GW has any history at making good games at all, table tops included ;)

Their one problem when spinning stories from their IP though, is their focus on the Space Marine, as understandably everyone wants to play as a space marine, but the level based systems of most (mmo)rpgs, doesn't really allow for people to play superheroes from step one - marines hunting rats in a basement, how epic is that? And there isn't much room for progression between super and super.

The second problem with the Space Marine is that they're more of a concept than proper character, marines live in a four color framework, whereas the rest of the universe is supposed to be grim and dark. They make great bad guys (both imperial and traitor), they might even fit an 'epic' level setting, but they're simply too cool for school :)

Lanacane
10-03-2014, 11:05
Its debatable, whether GW has any history at making good games at all, table tops included ;)

Their one problem when spinning stories from their IP though, is their focus on the Space Marine, as understandably everyone wants to play as a space marine, but the level based systems of most (mmo)rpgs, doesn't really allow for people to play superheroes from step one - marines hunting rats in a basement, how epic is that? And there isn't much room for progression between super and super.

The second problem with the Space Marine is that they're more of a concept than proper character, marines live in a four color framework, whereas the rest of the universe is supposed to be grim and dark. They make great bad guys (both imperial and traitor), they might even fit an 'epic' level setting, but they're simply too cool for school :)

But what about the hugely successful Tau that took on a chaos incursion only to die on an evil moon base with a planet destroying weapon?

Smooth Boy
10-03-2014, 13:19
It appears to be the spiritual successor to Dark Millennium but based on THQ's Space Marine game, both of which looked/were quite good, after THQ went bust it could actually be the space marine game engine. Really depends at this stage whether it will be any good, I think its too early to tell but I'm not holding my breath. This will be the companies first big title so I'm also dubious about their ability to step up in comparison to what they've made before. I'll be keeping an eye on it but I'm not going to let myself get too excited. On a side note Sega has the rights to 40K and fantasy as far as I know, so Dawn of War 3 I think has a fair chance from Relic.

hobojebus
10-03-2014, 13:53
Well after WaR I have little faith they can pull off a 40k mmo, and really the subscription model is dead now anyway only warcraft has managed to keep it going all others have had to go free to play and that always effects the quality.

The time to do an mmo was five years ago when the market was hot.

Instead they should do a planet side 2 style shooter with a few different factions and just let us blast away at each other.