PDA

View Full Version : Yes...another Pre-Heresy Imperial Fists army

AkabaneK
11-03-2014, 15:50
Always loved the Fists but never felt good enough to paint Yellow, with the new range of paints and vast amount of resources from some very skilled people on Warseer I feel I am able to take on the challenge.

So, on to pictures!

First I tested a scheme on one of the torsos of the many Terminators to come...

Then I followed up with replacing my "Grey Knight" Contemptor to be drafted into the Imperial Fists.

Then, my Praetor. I wanted him to stand out given the pretty static pose of the current model, this was the best I could do!

Any/all feedback welcome, interested to hear what some of the big players in the Fists world think :)

Thanks!

AkabaneK
13-03-2014, 12:08
Sorry for the double post but nobody made any comments previously and I have updated to add :)

I bought some Tamiya PS-19 Camel Yellow after the amazing work of Inquisitor Engel, and here are the results:

This was the result of a spray of Tamiya PS-19, a couple of drybrush coats of Yriel Yellow and then a wash of Gryphonne Sepia.

Thanks for looking :)

archie-d
13-03-2014, 12:46
Thats a really nice looking yellow!

i may have to use that technique myself! always found painting yellow to be the pits.

AkabaneK
13-03-2014, 13:54
Thanks archie-d! That Tamiya spray definitely helped get a good base coat on, it's definitely made painting yellow more fun :)
Drybrushing the lighter tone on top was far less effort than it would normally take.

I wasn't sure at first if I should keep that shade and just tidy it up a little.
Is it a little too orangey for Imperial Fists do you think? I quite like it but would appreciate some opinions of other IF fans :)

Rusty Magos
13-03-2014, 14:05
Hey AkabaneK! Always great to see another initiate of the 7th legion step forward!

I think you're off to a great start! If you're still a little unsure about the new paints and the yellow in particular, try completely finishing one of your test models, including all the trim and secondary colours. I find that adding in the other colours can have a big impact on how the yellow looks. I've been painting IF for about a year now and I'm still amazed how much yellow can change as you add in the rest of the colour scheme. Personally I went with yriel as the main tone on my IF, but I think really its just a matter of opinion and finding what works for you :)

Great start so far and best of luck for your project!

AkabaneK
13-03-2014, 14:15
Thanks very much, your own Fists are certainly an inspiration so thank you for taking the time to comment!
It's funny you should say that, a friend of mine said exactly the same thing recently so I'll certainly give it a go!

AkabaneK
18-03-2014, 14:13
Sorry for the double post, it is at least an update with my latest progress :)

I was hoping to be a lot further than I am but I wasted a lot of the very small tin of Tamiya undercoat...currently waiting for the second to arrive!

Anyway, on to pictures!

There are more leg pictures but they came out rubbish, so I just added a couple with the torsos attached to show a 'full' picture.

Thank you for reading!

Madfool2
19-03-2014, 13:37
Very awesome models and I love the yellow! What did you undercoat the model or was it just Yellow sprayed over un-primed resin?

AkabaneK
20-03-2014, 11:13
Thank you very much, glad they're going down well :)

That particular batch was first undercoated black, then sprayed with Tamiya PS-19. I have a Praetor WIP however that was just yellow over resin. I'll get those pics up soon :)