PDA

View Full Version : Samurai

jprp
11-03-2014, 19:29
Samurai mini`s for alternative Easterlings-yes or no?

The Marshel
11-03-2014, 20:47
What exactly are you asking?

In terms of miniatures? certain elements of samurai design would fit in well with the easterling design, but they'd lack the unified army feel needed for Easterlings.

In terms of inspiration for the faction, short answer, no. Long answer, elements of samurai appear to be drawn on for parts of the the Easterling concept, but their overall feel is more a mesh of eastern cultures to create distinctive "generic" eastern race.

Easterlings, as portrayed by peter jackson and expanded upon by Gw, fit more of a Chinese/Persian esq role. Elements of the force, such as dragon knights, do have a distinct samurai feel, but samurai, and the Japanese history surrounding them, gives more a sense of highly elite soldiers surround by militia in the form of yarii troops. The easterlings on the other hand are portrayed as a warrior race, driven by their religious worship of sauron, with both genders serving in their armies, as fully trained and equip soldiers. It's less an army of lords leading rabble into battle, but rather a religiously fanatical race of warriors who are fighting for their God.

Something that you may find helpful to consider when it comes to easterlings is that they have always shared their army list and design focus with Khand, who also have a distinct "generic" theme to them. Khand embodies the steppe raiders feel of eastern fantasy archetypes, being clearly modelled off of mongols, huns and to some degree Persians. They essentially represent the hoardy, primitive eastern people, while Easterlings represent the highly cultured advance aspect of it. Both should not be mistakenly labelled as purely east asian, as they have clear Persian influences on their design.

The term "Easterlings" was used by tolkin to describe all people living east of gondor, and would have been applied as equally to any of the various people living on the other side of middle earth. Khand iirc were based heavily on the vairigs and wainriders, who had a distinct hun/mongolian hoard feel to them. As far as I understand, Easterlings as golden armoured oriental esq troops, portrayed in the movie and by GW, is not typically accurate of what tolkin wrote about them. I'm pretty sure all easterlings were more of the savage hoard mould. The Easterlings of the movie and SBG represent the people of Rhun, a land to the north of mordor. They are essentially a highly developed and cultural oriental race twisted into a fanatical religious state by sauron. So think Persian Godking set up with a more distinctive Asian flair.

Dragon Knights are one of the more recent additions to the Easterlings on GW's part, and are essentially a warrior guild for a warrior nation. They would arguably fit the samurai esq role, especially given Amdur is marketed as a key leader to the easterlings. However I'd personally avoid drawing to heavily from Japanese culture when thinking about easterlings, as Japan was always a very insular nation, and Easterlings in general seem closer to heavily armoured Persians more then anything else.

mostlyharmless
11-03-2014, 21:06
If you want to do a samurai force, it might seem silly, but I would go with Elrond's Household/Rivendell and Eregion, and ally them with Gondor. You have the elves being the elite warrior samurai, personifying the elite mounted archer (Mounted archery and just plain normal archery was, oddly enough, just as prevalent among samurai as swordsmanship, but the sword has been highly romanticized), and you have the peasant rabble in the form of Men of Gondor.

jprp
11-03-2014, 21:16
Thanks for the answer Marshel, im not too fussed about the film or GW as such (although i do like the portrayal of the Easterlings in both) i was really asking if they would be acceptable as a representation of what sparse information is given in the books.
I was thinking that samurai perhaps with a colour scheme along the lines of the film (much quicker than real-world colour scheme) would look good and save money but i will have a look at persian figures and have a re-think.

jprp
11-03-2014, 21:23
If you want to do a samurai force, it might seem silly, but I would go with Elrond's Household/Rivendell and Eregion, and ally them with Gondor. You have the elves being the elite warrior samurai, personifying the elite mounted archer (Mounted archery and just plain normal archery was, oddly enough, just as prevalent among samurai as swordsmanship, but the sword has been highly romanticized), and you have the peasant rabble in the form of Men of Gondor.

Im looking to substitute historical figs for LOTR rather than play in a Samurai style.