PDA

View Full Version : Eldar leadership

Yresk
12-03-2014, 08:34
Hi guys Yresk here again with a question for my own writing works

In the 40K game we have numerous HQ choices and it makes sense that they are there for military purposes
but my question is: Who rules the craft world? Is there a democratically elected president? Dictator who executes
his way to command? a royal blood line that rules? The most powerful seer?
Who would rule in a craft world. i need to know because i am trying to write my own version of an eldar codex and
i donīt want to leave a stone unturned

Thanks in advance Yresk

totgeboren
12-03-2014, 09:10
Craftworlds don't really have 'rulers', they have what I would call 'guides' in the form of Farseers. Dark Eldar have rulers, as do Corsairs, but the Craftworlds are sort of special.
If I remember correctly, I could be wrong, it was a long time ago since I read any Eldar fluff, and I haven read the latest codex.

Poseidal
12-03-2014, 09:14
They have a lot of interest groups that have varying amount of influence.

Not limited to:

the Seers
Warrior sect (Court of the Young King in Biel Tan)
Families/Clans
The Avatar

AndrewGPaul
12-03-2014, 10:12
Different Craftworlds also have different political setups. Biel-Tan, for example, is more militaristic, suggesting the Court of the Young King and the Autarchs have more say in the running of things than elsewhere.

The Avatar, from my understanding, doesn't command - it's a figurehead and a focus for the warrior emotions. Its awakening is as much triggered by the Craftworld preparing for war as it is a catalyst for war.

However, if you're inventing your own Craftworld, this is the sort of thing you shuold make up for yourself. I could see that a Craftworld - perhaps one that's been isolated for a while, or is smaller than average, may have a single ruler or a hereditary power structure.

Catt
12-03-2014, 11:34
I think the leadership structures within craftworlds is quite an interesting subject.

I would expect every craftworld to have Farseers in at least an advisory capacity. It is after all the Eldar’s precognitive abilities which have enabled them to survive for so long in such a vulnerable state.

Given this I think there are a few conditions which must to certain extent dictate the political structure of a craftworld:

1). The stakes are high for any decision to be the right one. I would therefore expect there to be checks and balances in the decision making/political process at the executive level. A craftworld couldn’t afford to have a totally dictatorial structure because the risk of said individual getting it wrong and putting the whole craftworld at risk is too high.

2). However, running counter to this is the need to be able to make decisions quickly when quick and decisive action is need. For example a particularly strong vision by a Farseer or Farseers or an obvious physical threat such as an outright attack.

3). The strict discipline of the lives of the Eldar and the rigorous path system would require a somewhat authoritarian social system where people must conform. This would require strong social and legal sanctions to enforce.

4). Little democratic accountability. There may be a kind of Parliament system but the unchanging nature of their situation would mean the need for an extensive legislature would be limited.

I would therefore suggest the following basic structure for a standard craftworld:

1). An executive council composed of a mix of Fareers and Autarchs. This would be the decision making body that effectively controls the craftworld.

2). The executive council to be advised by a council of Farseers (a true Seer Council) and military council composed of Autarchs (and maybe Exarchs?). These would either alert the Executive of perceived or real threats or advise at the behest of the Executive.
3). Possibly an intelligence / trading network would feed into this process via Eldar pathfinders / exodites etc.

4). You might have a kind community assembly or Parliament where matters that are internal to the Craftworld might be discussed – distribution of resources etc. However I wouldn’t expect this to be a binding or decision making body. Think of it more as a transparency providing element in the process. A way of the Executive communicating directly with the population without commitment to making decisions as a result. We know that Ulthwe is largely ruled by seers for example and Biel-tan by the military.

I would suggest that the balance of Seers to Autarchs in the executive council could vary from very few of one or the other to even balance – or maybe even none. Maybe those with strong links to local exodite worlds might have representatives from those worlds who would observe – same goes for other craftworlds.

The smaller ‘city-state’ craftworlds might vary more drastically from this model.

Poseidal
12-03-2014, 11:42
3). The strict discipline of the lives of the Eldar and the rigorous path system would require a somewhat authoritarian social system where people must conform. This would require strong social and legal sanctions to enforce.

I would say this isn't the case. They would probably be similar to cultures where the group mentality (further done by the psychic nature of the people) causes a sort of 'guilt trip', so the culture encourages the rigorous path system but it isn't done by law or legal sanctions but is entirely done by social stigma and conforming.

This is at odds with the race's individualistic and self centred streak, which causes people to leave as outcasts. Note that they aren't forced to be outcasts or force to stay and escape — they make the decision though may be often 'encouraged' to leave. Being exiled is for the extreme cases where they cause havoc within the society or have done some real crime there.

Catt
12-03-2014, 11:55
I would say this isn't the case. They would probably be similar to cultures where the group mentality (further done by the psychic nature of the people) causes a sort of 'guilt trip', so the culture encourages the rigorous path system but it isn't done by law or legal sanctions but is entirely done by social stigma and conforming.

This is at odds with the race's individualistic and self centred streak, which causes people to leave as outcasts. Note that they aren't forced to be outcasts or force to stay and escape — they make the decision though may be often 'encouraged' to leave. Being exiled is for the extreme cases where they cause havoc within the society or have done some real crime there.

I agree, which is why I talked about strong social sanctions - by which I mean the social pressure to conform. However, I would also expect there to be a legal structure behind the path system as well. Especially in cases relating to the extremely psychically talented who could represent a risk to the craftworld through possession if they are not (forceably) trained. It may not need to be invoked very often - but I imagine that in the early years after the fall and in the chaos of the exodus the Eldar would have needed this much more than now. Perhaps such sanctions are still on the 'statute books' as it were but are rarely needed to actually be used. I don't think we're entirely disagreeing. I could easily see some craftworlds being more punitive that others.

Hendarion
12-03-2014, 15:51
Is there a democratically elected president? Dictator who executes
his way to command? a royal blood line that rules? The most powerful seer?
Who would rule in a craft world. i need to know because i am trying to write my own version of an eldar codex and
i donīt want to leave a stone unturned
There's probably one of everything. Some are known to be guided by seers, others by noble houses, others by military.

librisrouge
13-03-2014, 04:55
I agree, which is why I talked about strong social sanctions - by which I mean the social pressure to conform. However, I would also expect there to be a legal structure behind the path system as well. Especially in cases relating to the extremely psychically talented who could represent a risk to the craftworld through possession if they are not (forceably) trained. It may not need to be invoked very often - but I imagine that in the early years after the fall and in the chaos of the exodus the Eldar would have needed this much more than now. Perhaps such sanctions are still on the 'statute books' as it were but are rarely needed to actually be used. I don't think we're entirely disagreeing. I could easily see some craftworlds being more punitive that others.

That social pressure is why the Path of the Outcast exists. It gives those who don't want to conform but are still very pro-Eldar an option that let's them be a part of the system with being stifled by it. Social pressure would push radical Eldar toward this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MajorWesJanson
14-03-2014, 14:49
There do seem to be Eldar Nobles of some sort. Prince Yriel?

MajorWesJanson
14-03-2014, 15:02
There do seem to be Eldar Nobles of some sort. Prince Yriel?

Lord Zarkov
16-03-2014, 18:56
The Craftworld the Avatar came from in Shadowpoint seemed to be run by the nobility iirc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk