PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf Vision Sweepstake - How long will it last???

Krucifus
12-03-2014, 12:07
General opinion on the forums would seem to indicate that we'll all be surprised if Visions lasts into it's Twenties, so for a bit of fun, have a guess at how long you think it'll last.

Edit: Never mind, I worked it out

zoggin-eck
12-03-2014, 12:50
Another 37 glorious years is my guess.

Next question, how long will this thread last?

Herzlos
12-03-2014, 13:07
I reckon 6 months. We'll already have the first 3 ready by which point it'll be seen as a failure, they might attempt to revamp it and then some stubborness will keep it around a bit longer.

zoggin-eck
12-03-2014, 13:15
The twelve month subscription offer does seem like wishful thinking. Perhaps it's a sign, but it seems few bothered to learn the name anyway. Warhammer Visions, not White Dwarf Visions :)

MusingWarboss
13-03-2014, 03:01
I'd say 6 months to a year. Mostly because they've probably planned at least 6-7 months out and will panic-finish another 6 before pulling the plug and doing something else.

Though really, as above, if the name is still getting muddled up its got no hope!!

Bloodknight
13-03-2014, 10:38
I voted 7 months.

duffybear1988
13-03-2014, 14:04
I'm guessing 6 months.

williamsond
13-03-2014, 14:35
I said six from the start, but even at best case i don't see it making it to christmas

TheFang
13-03-2014, 16:18
Death throes of Visions in Christmas/New Year then bigger weekly White Dwarf.

MusingWarboss
13-03-2014, 16:44
Death throes of Visions in Christmas/New Year then bigger weekly White Dwarf.

That's not how GW does things! It'll be phased out over Christmas and a new Warhammer: Visions Weekly will emerge - because White Dwarf Weekly is selling better it's clearly not the content, no, just the fact that it's weekly. WDW will be scrapped to make way for it because... White Dwarf???... What's that got to do with anything. Everyone loves Space Marines!! Oh, but we'll keep the new size format because it sits better on bookcases... Stick with 72 pages though - best of both worlds then!

Then about February 2015 a new pocket sized monthly magazine - Adeptus Astartes: Visions is released! Nothing but pure Space Marine photo galleries for the truly devoted.

Yes, no?? :shifty: ;)

Killgore
14-03-2014, 07:48
Any GW staffers able to say how well visions sells?

I think WD weekly seems to be doing alright.

mattjgilbert
14-03-2014, 10:11
I voted 6 months. It might be a little longer though considering how far in advance they normally have each issue prepared.

DarthSte
14-03-2014, 10:16

I liked the weekly, but haven't been to a town with a GW since the second issue came out, so haven't picked it up nor seen any of there new releases (in an official release format).

Grocklock
15-03-2014, 09:46
I can see WDW doing well as it's a really good mag, and it is downloadable as well which means they can drop the paper version as it's kind if pointless.

Visions will last a while I recon but again it needs to be digital really. As it looks like it's not costing them to much to produce. Other then to print it.

But visions will be about a year or more.

Nogginthenog
15-03-2014, 10:05
I've said 10 months, based on the premise that they will have had 3 months worth done before it launched, and the next 3 months outlined and they are likely finished by now, so they are 6 months in before the meaningful sales data comes in. They will finish 3 or 4 more before management decide what to do with it, so 10 issues I think, it could maybe stretch to 12.
it won't just disappear though, i expect it will be relaunched as something else.

CAPRIGOR
15-03-2014, 14:01
I think they'll drag it out. So I'll say as long as a year and a half.

Spider-pope
15-03-2014, 14:57

From the staff i've talked to, the answer to "How well does Visions sell?" is "It doesn't". At my local GW, White Dwarf Weekly has sold out twice so far on a saturday, with more having to be brought in from another store. Visions on the other hand, they sold five of the first issue over the course of a month, and had to deal with multiple sub cancellations.

My own bet for Visions is it'll be gone by December.

Rick_1138
19-03-2014, 13:42
My manager was telling me he likes WDW as he now sells 50 a week rather than 50 a month of the old WD.

So a quick calculation, monthly WD netted 275, WDW nets the store 480.

So that's a win, Visions isn't selling well I believe but most of us like the new WDW style and content, if they chuck some bits of the visions into WDW and call it 3 a week id be sold.

I have found every issue so far has something interesting for me, and if I cant get in the Manager keeps me a copy as ive been housebound with bowel surgery recovery :)

deathspank
19-03-2014, 17:07
i heard that Mantic are releasing a monthly magazine called Black Elf Perceptions

MusingWarboss
19-03-2014, 18:12
Shouldn't that be "Kings of War: Perceptions"??? And "Black Elf Weekly"... :shifty:

Anyway they have to compete with the new Beige Goblin Magazine so its a moot point. ;)

Karak Norn Clansman
19-03-2014, 18:32
I give it about one to two years at most.

Lorcryst
19-03-2014, 19:35
There isn't an option for "far too long" ...

I've had an active subscription to the former monthly White Dwarf for more than 20 years, and after really trying to like the Warhammer Visions rag, I cancelled my sub after the first issue ... still waiting on the refund too ...

Honestly, the format is awkward, the pictures are the same that you can see for free on GW's various websites or their Flickr Pool (and sometimes there are even *better* pictures on GW's site, not to mention the myriads of forums like this one where top quality painters and modellers show their work), the "content" (word used in its largest definition) could fit on a couple of Post-It notes and the "Paint Splatter" articles are available in digital format (with better size, pictures, and on the RIGHT side, you don't have to turn that semi-brick around to see them) or are better in the White Dwarf Weekly.

I am a staunch defender of GW, some may even call me a fanboy, but Visions is an utter failure ... my local GW shop hasn't sold out of the *first* issue from February, and my FLGS has stopped ordering them altogether after selling ONE magazine.

RevEv
20-03-2014, 17:44
A conversation I overheard in Warhammer World's store yesterday between two well dressed business men....

'I picked up the first copy of this' tapping Warhammer Visions with his copy of this weeks White Dwarf, 'I put the kettle on to make a cup of tea and flicked through the magazine. By the time the kettle was boiled I'd read the magazine and I haven't picked it up since - I wouldn't bother with it, waste of money'.

What else can I say....!

(BTW voted 10 months, working on the principal that the next two months are completed and printed, the next two months are ready to roll and it will take another four months for the bean-counters at GW HQ to convince the powers that be to cancel the ruddy thing.

This is the first time I've been rooting for the GW bean counters).

duffybear1988
21-03-2014, 13:53
A conversation I overheard in Warhammer World's store yesterday between two well dressed business men....

'I picked up the first copy of this' tapping Warhammer Visions with his copy of this weeks White Dwarf, 'I put the kettle on to make a cup of tea and flicked through the magazine. By the time the kettle was boiled I'd read the magazine and I haven't picked it up since - I wouldn't bother with it, waste of money'.

What else can I say....!

Last time I visited Warhammer World a redshirt tried to sell us a few copies of WV. After his initial spiel about how wonderful the mag was we responded with our own diatribe on exactly why we wouldn't be buying it. About 30 seconds in he started nodding his head and agreeing with us. Even the staff hate it. :)

Matthias Thulmann
22-03-2014, 09:31
Easy answer. No idea as we have not seen the sales figures. GW will continue it if it is selling well, if not it will be discontinued in due course.

Based on Internet nerd rage from a small vocal group on Internet forums it should already be dead.

MiyamatoMusashi
22-03-2014, 10:03
You're a big fan of the "nerd rage" phrase today, aren't you? Amazing how so much of what you read can so easily be dismissed as "nerd rage".

Also amazing how it's only a "small vocal group". That leaves, of course, the silent majority; and as the old saying goes, you can assign to the silent majority any opinion you like because, after all, they're silent. Thing is, the only opinions we have any evidence for are... what we hear here. So you can conveniently ignore it because the silent majority aren't saying anything; or you can say, well, we're working from imperfect incomplete information, but such evidence as we do have suggests that it's rather unpopular.

(I'd also point out that the same "small vocal group" has, for the most part, been cautiously positive about WDW. But not Visions. Some might wonder if that means anything).

Matthias Thulmann
22-03-2014, 14:21
You're a big fan of the "nerd rage" phrase today, aren't you? Amazing how so much of what you read can so easily be dismissed as "nerd rage".

Also amazing how it's only a "small vocal group". That leaves, of course, the silent majority; and as the old saying goes, you can assign to the silent majority any opinion you like because, after all, they're silent. Thing is, the only opinions we have any evidence for are... what we hear here. So you can conveniently ignore it because the silent majority aren't saying anything; or you can say, well, we're working from imperfect incomplete information, but such evidence as we do have suggests that it's rather unpopular.

(I'd also point out that the same "small vocal group" has, for the most part, been cautiously positive about WDW. But not Visions. Some might wonder if that means anything).

I love abit of nerd rage. Makes me laugh out loud!

Just to clarify I am not a fan of WD visions myself. I don't buy the weekly either however as I can't justify the trip to the local GW store just for that around my work and family life.

So in a way I was happier with my old subscription as it had the content of the weekly and came through my door every month at a discounted price.

But am I going to rage on an Internet forum about it hoping GW will change and listen to my opinion? No I'm not as it won't make a jot of difference. I choose just not to buy it as this is the strongest message GW understand.

Hope this clarifies my post abit better.

Matthias Thulmann
22-03-2014, 14:27
I'm afraid that it is generally a small vocal minority most of the time and a lot of the time it's wrong too.

The internet raged and proclaimed the new empire and DOC books as "rubbish" and non competitive. These are among the top armies on the UK tournament scene.

Spider-pope
22-03-2014, 14:52
Easy answer. No idea as we have not seen the sales figures. GW will continue it if it is selling well, if not it will be discontinued in due course.

Based on Internet nerd rage from a small vocal group on Internet forums it should already be dead.

It's not just nerd rage from the vocal minority this time. Anyone who has read my posts here knows that i try to be positive about the majority of GW's releases. And even i can't find a reason for Warhammer Visions to exist. White Dwarf Weekly on the other hand has turned out pretty well.

pug
22-03-2014, 14:56
Agree with Matthius tbh. Warseer has a lot of "nerd rage" and GW haters so opinions very scued to actual sales figures and facts. Also I agree 20 or so replies on an Internet thread compared to thousands of hobbyists will never get the answer.

I currently have not purchased visions just the weekly so have no idea on the life of visions. Only hard facts will tell I guess and they will probably review it.

Shishio
23-03-2014, 12:22
before the star of summer I hope. Bring back the old monthly WD in book store... not just in GW shops.

RevEv
23-03-2014, 14:59
Yay - I'm a nerd!!!

I don't believe it's nerd-rage nor GW haters this time around! One only needs to look at the number of unsold Warhammer Vision on the shelves at local stores to see that something is amiss with it's sales.

Mr. Ultra
23-03-2014, 18:20
I am usually a strong GW supporter, and I just can't understand why Warhammer: Visions exist. So I voted for 6 months. It probably will last more due to stuborness, but I don't see a future for W:V.

cool-kid-on-the-block
23-03-2014, 22:10
I votes 12+ months as my cynicism receptor told me they will keep struggling with it for as long as possible until literally no one buys it. then it will stop. as always with GW stuff, Concept is good, execution needs work.

canberraguy
23-03-2014, 22:19
I quite like it. If it had even more Golden Demon photos and peoples armies it would be even better. Maybe if they got rid of about 15-20 pages of images and put a few purely hobby articles ( deliberately avoiding the articles being about the latest releases) in there it would please a few more people.

Bloodknight
24-03-2014, 13:01
In that case they should have just stayed with White Dwarf, though.

duffybear1988
24-03-2014, 13:43
In that case they should have just stayed with White Dwarf, though.

This.

WDW isn't great, it's just that compared to Visions and the last couple of years worth of WD it has actually brought some improvements. You know what the funny thing is? Things like adding in unit rules and reasonable paint guides are all things that we so called whiners have been asking for for ages! I've only acquired ones copy of Weekly (the one with the knight rules and painting guide in it) and I was pleasantly surprised by some of the content (and everyone knows I am no GW fan). I flicked through another copy the other day which features a knight mini game and thought that was good as well. These are the things we were asking for all along - the things that used to feature monthly. Now Weekly still has a huge way to go before it's anywhere near as good as old WD, but this is a baby step in the right direction. I just wish it was monthly again and they included some detailed battle reports.

So in this case the whiners were proved right - maybe GW should listen to the people who buy their products more...

MusingWarboss
25-03-2014, 02:10
So in this case the whiners were proved right - maybe GW should listen to the people who buy their products more...

Why would they though? They expect the people who buy their products to be gone after six months. I bet the whole idea of adding features and minigames into the WDW was met with rapturous applause as if it was a completely new and novel idea. Remember, GW is a very strange company.