PDA

View Full Version : Decimus, Prophet of the 8th legion, some help maybe?

Ruven
12-03-2014, 14:56
Howdy all, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I think it is because it's a fluff based question.

So I read the night lords novels some time ago and have wanted to make some night lords for my chaos army, or even just as a separate chaos army, but I want to incorporate characters from the novels. I was originally going to just make first claw as they are simply badass and there's plenty of information about them, but now I'm thinking of working around Decimus, the new prophet. So I'm just wondering has there been any other reference to Decimus, other than at the end of void stalker, which I can draw from for designing him?

Would appreciate any advice on this :)

Also, I've seen that there were suggestions somewhere, maybe they were more hopes than suggestions though, that there would be follow up novels of the night lords that were based on Decimus. Anybody heard anything on this? I would enjoy more of the night lords from Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Ruven

Perrin
12-03-2014, 17:28
Nope, he only appears in Void Stalker.

ADB is currently writing his Abaddon series, which will apparently be a long one similar to Gaunts Ghosts or the Ultramarines. That coupled with writing for the HH means I doubt he'll have time to do more Night Lords stuff. But who knows, maybe he is superhuman after all :p

I doubt that the story of Decimus will continue though. It seemed more of a "minute to midnight" set up for the 13th BC, which I don't think will ever be continued. The Night Lords are united and have a leader that can see the future better than a Farseer, and are going to follow Abaddon. That kind of spells doom for the Imperium, so I think it'll just be left there.

malika
12-03-2014, 22:33
The Night Lords are united and have a leader that can see the future better than a Farseer, and are going to follow Abaddon. That kind of spells doom for the Imperium, so I think it'll just be left there.

Makes you wonder how Zso Sahaal would react to that! :P

Perrin
12-03-2014, 22:45
Makes you wonder how Zso Sahaal would react to that! :P

Well okay, united by Night Lord standards anyway :p

I wonder what Sahaal would make of Decimus? Maybe that'll be the next NL series, The New Prophet v The Talonmaster!

Ruven
12-03-2014, 23:03
ADB is currently writing his Abaddon series, which will apparently be a long one similar to Gaunts Ghosts or the Ultramarines. That coupled with writing for the HH means I doubt he'll have time to do more Night Lords stuff. But who knows, maybe he is superhuman after all :p

Ah I see, wasn't sure if the Abaddon thing would be a series but can't say I'm surprised, who knows, some night lords might pop up in there :)

I doubt that the story of Decimus will continue though. It seemed more of a "minute to midnight" set up for the 13th BC, which I don't think will ever be continued. The Night Lords are united and have a leader that can see the future better than a Farseer, and are going to follow Abaddon. That kind of spells doom for the Imperium, so I think it'll just be left there.

I was thinking this myself, and thinking that as much as I would like to see more it might be best to just leave it where it is. Although the story of Decimus leading up to that point might be nice. Either way, the man is busy (ADB) so if anything happens it won't be for a long while.

Marshal_Loss
12-03-2014, 23:34
To involve him further (at least in the Crusade/War on Ulthwe) would mean progressing the fluff, and GW won't do that.

malika
14-03-2014, 14:33
Well okay, united by Night Lord standards anyway :p

I wonder what Sahaal would make of Decimus? Maybe that'll be the next NL series, The New Prophet v The Talonmaster!

Hmm, the Talonmaster seems to have a lot of enemies then: most of the Legion, Acerbus Krieg...oooh, wonder whatever happened to him!

Chem-Dog
17-03-2014, 22:32
It's kinda ironic that someone calling themselves Ruven is asking after Decimus :)

But no, the only mention to him I'm aware of is in the info you have in -the first rate- Void Stalker, but as I remember it there was a particularly detailed description of him in there. I'd suggest going back to it and gleaning as much as you can from it (or re-reading the whole trilogy again just because).

Dead.Blue.Clown
18-03-2014, 07:13
This Decimus fellow sounds like a douche.

Son of Sanguinius
18-03-2014, 07:50
You would know. xD

Mellow
18-03-2014, 08:48
The Night Lords are united and have a leader that can see the future better than a Farseer, and are going to follow Abaddon. That kind of spells doom for the Imperium, so I think it'll just be left there.

I've not read it but warp induced visions are not always the truth and are probably affected by the psyche of the person seeing the vision.

So nothing's for definite, right?

Michael M.
18-03-2014, 14:14
I've not read it but warp induced visions are not always the truth and are probably affected by the psyche of the person seeing the vision.

So nothing's for definite, right?
But that's the clue with Decimus. He has Talos geneseed. And Talos was the most reliable seer (after Night Haunter) the Legion had have. Decimus is the child of Octavia and Septimus. That means he's half navigator in combination with Talos geneseed Decimus is now more reliable then even Talos.

Perrin
18-03-2014, 14:25
But that's the clue with Decimus. He has Talos geneseed. And Talos was the most reliable seer (after Night Haunter) the Legion had have. Decimus is the child of Octavia and Septimus. That means he's half navigator in combination with Talos geneseed Decimus is now more reliable then even Talos.
There's also that Talos was the most reliable seer in spite of the fact that his body was rejecting the Space Marine implants. Decimus (as far as we know) has no incompatibility issues, which allows him to use his seer powers unimpeded.

The brief scene he appears in he predicts the exact circumstances of the death of most of the people in the room (the one where he predicts the guy will die tonight is cheating imo), which is more than Talos could ever do.

Obviously there are other factors, like different futures, whether the future is pre-determined or not etc.

For a Night Lord player looking to create fluff for a war band Decimus is probably the most interesting character you can use. Nothing is known of him so you could have him do literally anything anywhere.

Ruven
23-03-2014, 15:52
Haha yeah, tried to call myself Talos but it was taken so i went with Ruven.

Cool, yeah I remember it was a pretty detailed description but was just wondering if I'd missed any short stories or cameos of him. Was planning on re-reading them anyway so I guess now would be a good time

Ruven
23-03-2014, 15:54
That could be quite an interesting story

Ruven
23-03-2014, 15:56
It's kinda ironic that someone calling themselves Ruven is asking after Decimus :)

But no, the only mention to him I'm aware of is in the info you have in -the first rate- Void Stalker, but as I remember it there was a particularly detailed description of him in there. I'd suggest going back to it and gleaning as much as you can from it (or re-reading the whole trilogy again just because).

Haha yeah, tried to call myself Talos but it was taken so i went with Ruven.

Cool, yeah I remember it was a pretty detailed description but was just wondering if I'd missed any short stories or cameos of him. Was planning on re-reading them anyway so I guess now would be a good time

Ruven
23-03-2014, 16:43
There's also that Talos was the most reliable seer in spite of the fact that his body was rejecting the Space Marine implants. Decimus (as far as we know) has no incompatibility issues, which allows him to use his seer powers unimpeded.

The brief scene he appears in he predicts the exact circumstances of the death of most of the people in the room (the one where he predicts the guy will die tonight is cheating imo), which is more than Talos could ever do.

Obviously there are other factors, like different futures, whether the future is pre-determined or not etc.

For a Night Lord player looking to create fluff for a war band Decimus is probably the most interesting character you can use. Nothing is known of him so you could have him do literally anything anywhere.

I already thought he could be a cool character to play around with fluff wise but the fact that nothing is known of him really I hadn't looked at as a positive thing, but yeah I'd have a lot of freedom with creating fluff for himself and his warband. Good point, thank you. It's a shame csm can't use divination psychic powers, could use him as a sorcerer lord, Telepathy might be good in terms of fluff, a lot to do with fear and stealth, maybe biomancy because it has some nice maledictions .

Israfael
23-03-2014, 21:09
I already thought he could be a cool character to play around with fluff wise but the fact that nothing is known of him really I hadn't looked at as a positive thing, but yeah I'd have a lot of freedom with creating fluff for himself and his warband. Good point, thank you. It's a shame csm can't use divination psychic powers, could use him as a sorcerer lord, Telepathy might be good in terms of fluff, a lot to do with fear and stealth, maybe biomancy because it has some nice maledictions .

You can always use the Crimson Slaughter supplement to represent them.

Ruven
24-03-2014, 21:47
You can always use the Crimson Slaughter supplement to represent them.

Haven't seen much about that supplement, would it be similar to how night lords might play?