PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Craftworlds

Studio Dave
12-03-2014, 14:56
Hey guys
I'd just like to do a poll to see which is the more popular out of the Eldar Craftworlds and why?
Cheers
Dave

ChrisMurray
12-03-2014, 15:07
I like the colour scheme for Alaitoc a lot along with the idea of them having a lot of rangers. I think that makes for some great fluff ideas. I also equally like Saim-Hann because I like the idea of an all jetbike army.

Poseidal
12-03-2014, 15:14
Biel-Tan for life.

See you at the crossroads.

IcedCrow
12-03-2014, 15:22
I'm a fan of the undead. As such - Iyanden

Xenthick
12-03-2014, 15:44
Ulthwe, love the color scheme and all the psykers trying to control the fates of the galaxy, fun stuff.

Hendarion
12-03-2014, 16:26
Biel-Tan.
I love Aspect Warriors and I love green with thorns.

Sir Didymus
12-03-2014, 16:47
Alaitoc, blue/yellow. They're just the original mercenary space elves :)

woggy
12-03-2014, 17:02
Fluff and style-wise, I lean strongly towards Biel-Tan. I'm not exactly enthralled with the paint scheme, though; seems like no matter what I do it the models end up looking like a Christmas tree. It's a little better now that I'm not using glossy Testor enamels (I was new! Everyone has old shame, right?), but the green+white with red accents is just...aiee.

As such, I'm experimenting with a scratchbuilt color scheme; green+brown, with blue accents/gems. Don't have any fluff to go with it yet, alas.

MarkNorfolk
12-03-2014, 17:05
Iyanden - if only because it was the one used to introduce Eldar titans for Epic (1st ed) in White Dwarf, way back. All that wraithy stuff wasn't 'til much later.

Cheers
Mark

Ruination Drinker
12-03-2014, 17:21
It's the Wiccan in me that loves the Saim-Hann. :P

Hendarion
12-03-2014, 17:22
Fluff and style-wise, I lean strongly towards Biel-Tan. I'm not exactly enthralled with the paint scheme, though; seems like no matter what I do it the models end up looking like a Christmas tree. It's a little better now that I'm not using glossy Testor enamels (I was new! Everyone has old shame, right?), but the green+white with red accents is just...aiee.Dude, red parts in Biel-Tan is sooo 1990 :D

woggy
12-03-2014, 17:27
Dude, red parts in Biel-Tan is sooo 1990 :D

Oh? I didn't start playing until 2009, but most of the artwork I've seen has red as a primary color for the gemstones that litter the Eldar designs. Not to mention the giant red heart in the craftworld emblem.

the1stpip
12-03-2014, 17:47
Mine isn't on there. I like Iybraesil for the colour scheme and the bit of fluff they have. I have so far painted a single War Walker, but then I saw a white and baby pink colour scheme that I am now contemplating...

Hendarion
12-03-2014, 18:13
Oh? I didn't start playing until 2009, but most of the artwork I've seen has red as a primary color for the gemstones that litter the Eldar designs. Not to mention the giant red heart in the craftworld emblem.Ah, so just the gems. Well, gems are up to you anyway - just like everything else. They had far more reds on them in the older days.

Killgore
12-03-2014, 19:50
Ulthwe, Black and Bone with plenty of Warlocks!

woggy
12-03-2014, 21:09
Ah, so just the gems. Well, gems are up to you anyway - just like everything else. They had far more reds on them in the older days.

Gotcha. Even the little bit of red is feeling like too much, though, especially combined with the white everywhere. Also, my attempts at painting thorns always seem to come out looking cluttered. Not that I expect everyone to agree with me. :)

Horus38
12-03-2014, 21:18
Biel-Tan, putting the boots to fools when subtlety fails!

druchii
12-03-2014, 21:20
Iyanden. Undead space robots for (un?)life.

Also Necrons.

d

murgel2006
13-03-2014, 00:07
I like the colours of Ulthwe, Altaioc, Mymera and Saim-Hann. I started out with an Altaioc for the colours. Now I have armies of Ulthwe, Altaioc and my own colours.
For me it is the Clans of Saim-Hann that make it so appealing. I like the guardians as a mainstay in Ulthwe.
All in all I had no other chance as to make my own Eldar population fluff wise.

Eldartank
13-03-2014, 01:34
I liked the older version of Ulthwe, black and yellow. I don't particularly like the black and bone color of today's Ulthwe. If I were to do an Ulthwe army, I would do the black and yellow version.

Starchild
13-03-2014, 02:28
I liked the older version of Ulthwe, black and yellow. I don't particularly like the black and bone color of today's Ulthwe. If I were to do an Ulthwe army, I would do the black and yellow version.

That's how I've painted my Eldar (long-time player since Rogue Trader) and yes, it looks far better than what they show now in the books. It's the dramatic visual tension between the mourning hue and the bright colour that makes Ulthwé look far more tragic than the other Craftworlds.

MadHatter
13-03-2014, 02:34
personally I prefer to make my own craft world. but Alaitoc is my default craft world when i need one of GW's premade craft worlds.

Irisado
14-03-2014, 12:00
I started with Alaitoc back in 1990, but created my own craftworld at the tail end of fourth edition, which I still use to this day. I'm not a big fan of the colour schemes of any of the big five craftworlds to be honest, which is one reason why I made the change.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 12:03
THe iconography of Alaitoc (Blue Eldar with Yellow heads) Goes all the way back to RT, all the original Epic were painted like that as well, and we saw an updated Eldar army in GW pro painted in Aalitoc colours.

It's the most iconic Alien colour scheme to me and army, next to purple and pink Genestelers...

Irisado
14-03-2014, 12:09
That's pretty much why I chose to paint mine as Alaitoc, because I was trying to copy GW (I was too young to be original), you've hit the nail on the head :).

FredrikR
14-03-2014, 12:29
Biel-Tan for my fledgling Eldar.
The Swordwind is such a cool name...
Even if I find white a very tricky colour to paint (or rather a tricky colour to paint so it looks good)!

Geep
14-03-2014, 12:50
I'm voting for Iybraesil, but since that's not up there I went with Mymeara, as it's probably the closest colour scheme.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 13:00
That's pretty much why I chose to paint mine as Alaitoc, because I was trying to copy GW (I was too young to be original), you've hit the nail on the head :).

Yes me too! I saw the one's in RT and fell in love, then tried the sme with Epic, oh I'd probably laugh if I saw the old Epic tanks I 'painted' all those years ago! Haha.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 13:01
I'm voting for Iybraesil, but since that's not up there I went with Mymeara, as it's probably the closest colour scheme.

…Wow, just looked that up, it's a spray gun job but the looks though!

duffybear1988
14-03-2014, 13:23
Ulthwe because the webway strikeforce list was different and a lot of fun. You listening GW?

Lanacane
14-03-2014, 16:09
I am voting Altansar.

Any Craftworld that can survive thousands of years inside The Eye without corruption AND gave birth to one of the greatest Phoenix Lords, Maugan Ra, is one worth the top spot

Theocracity
14-03-2014, 16:49
I think I have to go with Ulthwe. The color scheme, the plot opportunities and the theme all work for me.

Second place is Altaioc, which has the same benefits as Ulthwe and loses only because I don't like the color scheme quite as much.

Iyanden's in third, because while I love wraith constructs I'm not a big fan of their color scheme.

Biel-Tan is next - I find their aggressive theme interesting and the color scheme good, but I'm not a huge fan of aspect warriors.

Last is Saim-hann, mostly because I don't know enough about them besides 'wild clans who ride jetbikes.'

Chrysalis
14-03-2014, 19:05
Biel-Tan, because they're not whining and considering themselves a dying race. The Eldar Empire shall rise again!!! :)

Son of Morkai
14-03-2014, 19:15
No love for Zandros? I am disappointed in you Warseer. Very disappointed.

Chrysalis
14-03-2014, 19:44
No love for Zandros? I am disappointed in you Warseer. Very disappointed.

Maybe one day we'll have a plastic kit for the Slicing Orbs ;)

Sildani
15-03-2014, 22:05
Yme-Loc, because I like grey and orange. With as little orange as I can get away with.

sasheep
15-03-2014, 22:34
Originally it was Biel-Tan, but I soon realised I sucked at painting white. I switched to Alaitoc as the yellow and blue looked awesome and I really liked their fluff. I unfortunately got distracted by other armies, and when I came back I developed my own colour scheme. Finally, with the release of all the wraith units last year, I have settled on an Iyanden force and am loving it.

Superfly
15-03-2014, 22:39
Biel-tan. Started with them as I wanted an absolute opposite colour to my Blood Angels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkc

Studio Dave
16-03-2014, 00:21
Quite a few answers for some of the smaller craft worlds I wasn't expecting, I really should have included them :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voss
16-03-2014, 00:26
Quite a few answers for some of the smaller craft worlds I wasn't expecting, I really should have included them :/

Nah. They only get answers because people 'were playing them before they were mainstream.' Or so they claim. :shifty:
I was surprised you bothered to put Myrmrmma on there, frankly.

Studio Dave
16-03-2014, 02:45
I really like myrmeara, and I've seen a few FB pages and groups seem to like them a lot, so I felt like putting them up there :D and I must admit, I was going to put Yme-Loc, Altansar and Iybraesil up there, I just couldn't spell them xD

Dr.Clock
16-03-2014, 12:22
Another vote for ol' school yellow and black Ulthwe. They were my first love, and going back to paint that colour scheme today makes my inner grognard sing.

I love the fact that Ulthwe maintains a standing army of guardians and is far more directly belligerent agains the forces of Chaos. They really exemplify some of the stronger themes of the Eldar generally: super strong psychics and tragic sacrifice.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

titilititi
16-03-2014, 12:37
What a surprise I voted Ulthwé ... Biel Tan & Iybraesil (or Mymeara that color scheme is very similar) would have come close behind, for having very beautiful colour schemes.

DeathGlam
16-03-2014, 13:08
Biel-tan, always loved the scheme and the aggressive fluff.

Menthak
16-03-2014, 13:13
No love for Altansar? :(

Chrysalis
16-03-2014, 13:49
No love for Altansar? :(

I was once tempted to build an Altansar force. But I found it hard to pick which units would fit the fluff - except, of course, for dark reapers and Maugan Ra. But what kind of force would deploy a Craftworld that's been fighting chaos for hundreds of years?

Menthak
16-03-2014, 14:07
I was once tempted to build an Altansar force. But I found it hard to pick which units would fit the fluff - except, of course, for dark reapers and Maugan Ra. But what kind of force would deploy a Craftworld that's been fighting chaos for hundreds of years?

I would say Dark reapers and plenty of non-aspect warriors from their own craftworld.

H3L!X
16-03-2014, 22:06

Yep i would vote Iybraesil too!
Sadly there are a lot of Craftworlds missing in the voting.

Fear13
17-03-2014, 08:01

This. When I returned to GW after a long hiatus they had changed to the bone colour. Since then I have adapted mine to. Rather than just yellow, mine now is yellow shaded into red. Looks okay on the small units but very dynamic on command jet bikes and even better on grav tanks.

titilititi
17-03-2014, 11:39
The old yellow colour scheme is a chance to add some variety with all that black ^^
As I have a lot of Guardians, I use the black-bone-yellow alternative on their helmet, to differentiate my units.

Importman
19-03-2014, 09:55
Alaitoc - colour scheme and fluff.

Princey
19-03-2014, 14:56
Saim- Hann..Jetbikes all the way :) This really is because of the old Windrider formation from the Epic Space Marine expansion Renegades (wow..typing that takes me back a bit )

Still Standing
19-03-2014, 22:35
Voted Iyanden. I loves my hordes of giant elf zombies.

Homeworld
19-03-2014, 23:01
Originally Posted by Eldartank

That's how I've painted my Eldar (long-time player since Rogue Trader) and yes, it looks far better than what they show now in the books. It's the dramatic visual tension between the mourning hue and the bright colour that makes Ulthwé look far more tragic than the other Craftworlds.

Originally posted by Dr.Clock
Another vote for ol' school yellow and black Ulthwe. They were my first love, and going back to paint that colour scheme today makes my inner grognard sing.

I love the fact that Ulthwe maintains a standing army of guardians and is far more directly belligerent agains the forces of Chaos. They really exemplify some of the stronger themes of the Eldar generally: super strong psychics and tragic sacrifice.

Amen, guys. I'm totally with you :)