PDA

View Full Version : What codices/supplements, hardback and/or ebook, are you collecting?

Herkamer63
13-03-2014, 04:35
As much as I miss the old $25-$30, the hardback and ebook covers are beautiful in design. Plus, regarding fluff, I do like how they go a little bit further into that army's history and possible future. Finally, the most important, the rules that come with it. I have, so far, almost all the hardback codices, and getting my supplements and mini dexes for ebook. I also have the main rule book for both platforms. I just need Imperial Knights and Chaos Daemons for hardback and debating on getting SoB for ebook since I downloaded the rest of the "ebook only" already. Many might be thinking "why that many"? My answer: preparation if I'm playing with or against an army. Secondly, it's good to have the main codex in hand in case if something happens to my computer or kindle. The supplements I can worry about later.

With all that said, any collectors or people who might be in the same mind set as mine? What codices and/or supplements do you collect? Let's hear it.

Herkamer63
13-03-2014, 04:37
Plus, I will be getting the new IG codex for hardback when its available. Thought I'd throw that in there.

tezdal
13-03-2014, 04:39
For $50 bucks? Not buying any of that nonsense, prefer to spend my miniature wargaming money on MINIATURES

malisteen
13-03-2014, 05:37
Just the books for the factions & subfactions I play. right now, that's Vamp Counts in fantasy, and for 40k it's C:CSM, C:CD(allies), Black Legion supplement, & data slates for Be'Lakor and Cypher. If I hear good things about the helbrute slate, I'll get that, too, but helbrutes are super lackluster, so I'm not holding my breath. I've warmed to the crimson slaughter somewhat, but since I don't play them, I won't be getting that book.

I used to get all the codeces and army books, but they cost too much now for me to justify collecting the ones I won't actually use for gaming.

Sir Didymus
13-03-2014, 05:49
I've never seen the codex as worth their price. Sure the hardbacks looks nice - the collectors version, the regular are still too childish with their huge titles - and the iPad versions are practical despite being bulky, but the contents are still just some fanboy-fluff, a few catalogue pages to sell me minis and some shoddy rules. Thats just not good enough.

The only rules book worth its price has been the main books collectors edition - WHFB 8th in particular was an awesome book.

-

But the moss has started growing on me, my cogitators have lost their shine, and I harken from the glory days before the fall that was 2nd edition. A blessed age where new armies and lists got introduced by a stout White Dwarf, and game material were then later published in compilations and compendiums containing as much as three whole armies in one tome.

In these dark times, the only 40K publications worth my money are the shunned Imperial Armour books. They're decent hardbacks, they provide some good ideas for playing with the game, they provide multiple army lists, and despite the fact that most of the books are rehashed vehicle schematics, IA never feels like a sales brochure. Product images are heavily photoshopped to give an 'authentic' look, compared to the toy store 'eavy Metal dioramas, and it is in so many ways a much better product.

Scribe of Khorne
13-03-2014, 05:59
I own the small rule book.

I carry my kindle and/or ipod for the rest, and I havent dropped a $1 on them.

Until GW releases Codex: World Eaters, thats not likely to change.

Son of Morkai
13-03-2014, 06:49
I picked up the LE Imperial Fist version of the Marine codex, and recently the LE Sentinals of Terra. They stand proudly on one of my wargaming shelves, not too far from a first and second printing copies of Slaves to Chaos. I would like to buy every hardback codex, but I've had to be selective due to space and cash limitations. Oh, they will all be mine eventually. Just not right now. In previous editions it was no problem to buy and carry every single codex to every game, but the jump in price bumped the normal codexes out of my comfort zone for normal purchases, particularly since only a handful would fit in a backpack. The special editions, however, are right in my comfort zone for a special limited edition purchase that I care about and will never leave my house. I've also be playing less than I used to, so something pretty and awesome is far more interesting to me than something practical - the Imperial Knight Companion book will probably grace my shelves before their codex.

Ebooks are the devil and I will never buy one. While not a Luddite, there's little joy for me in a "book" collection made up of 0s and 1s. Certainly not when compared to leather covers and old paper smell.

spaint2k
13-03-2014, 07:22
I picked up the LE Imperial Fist version of the Marine codex, and recently the LE Sentinals of Terra. They stand proudly on one of my wargaming shelves, not too far from a first and second printing copies of Slaves to Chaos. I would like to buy every hardback codex, but I've had to be selective due to space and cash limitations. Oh, they will all be mine eventually. Just not right now.

If you just wait till the books are obsolete, you'll be able to pick them up for pennies on the dollar, like this 4th edition limited edition Space Marine codex for six bucks:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition-4th-Edition-Hardback-Space-Marine-Codex-/151229021124?pt=Games_US&hash=item2335f3bbc4

Wolf Lord Balrog
13-03-2014, 07:39
None. Last 40k book I bought was the 5th Ed Codex: Space Wolves. My 6th Ed mini-BRB and Codex: Tau Empire are both gifts from friends. The books are too ridiculously expensive, I can't afford books I don't absolutely need if I want to buy the ridiculously expensive models.

Spiney Norman
13-03-2014, 08:41
I used to collect all the books, back when they were soft back and 15 a throw, but since ey started with the hard backs I've had to scale back to the factions I collect only, a 30 book every month just isn't doable if I want to buy models as well.

And let's face it, I have all the 3rd/4th edition army books so I've literally got all the fluff I need, all they do is rehash the same old stuff each edition (well except in the case of Necrons, but they're one of my armies anyway).

AndrewGPaul
13-03-2014, 10:27
Same as I've always done - the books for the armies I want to play, plus some of the "coffee table" books. The former now in digital format, the latter in physical editions.

Ba'al Starslayer
13-03-2014, 11:18
I used to collect all the old books; "know your enemy" and all that (plus some were an interesting read). But since this transition to hardback and 25-35 books...? Nah. I even have to psych myself up for buying my OWN army's codex now.

Mauler
13-03-2014, 13:07
For 6th:

Big Rule Book
Small Rule Book
Codex: Dark Angels Limited
Codex: Tau Empire Limited
Supplement: Farsight Enclaves Limited
Codex: Eldar Limited
Supplement: Iyanden Limited
Codex: Space Marines Limited
Codex: Tyranids Limited
Codex: Imperial Knights Limited
Imperial Armour 3: The Taros Campaign 2nd ed
Imperial Armour 11: The Doom Of Mymera
Horus Heresy Vol1: Betrayal
Horus Heresy Vol2: Massacre
Horus Heresy: Visions Of Heresy Collector's
Horus Heresy: The Collected Visions

The rest of the codices as well as Escalation & Stronghold Assault I have on digiformat along with the Tau, Cypher & Tyranid dataslates.

To put this into a bit of perspective I also have collected since ~1990 or so:

Fantasy Dwarfs Limited
Fantasy Lizardmen Limited
40k 5th Ed BRB
40k 5th Ed Leather BRB Limited & signed
40k 4th Ed BRB
40k 3rd Ed BRB
40k 2nd Ed BRB
40k Rogue Trader
40k Battle Manual
40k Vehicle Manual
40k Compendium
Codex: Dark Angels
Codex: Blood Angels
Codex: Angels Of Death
Codex: Space Wolves
(A load of other 2-5th ed books here)
Xenology
The Gothic And The Eldritch
The Tau & Necron Collector's Guide
The Eldar & Dark Eldar Collector's Guide

And all the Heresy novels, some audiobooks, a shelf of 40k novels including Deathwing, Inquisitor & Space Marine. My rulebooks for Space Hulk, Deathwing & Genestealer, Space Marine/Epic 2nd ed and Advanced Space Crusade are also bindered in with everything on my 40k shelves. Ah, the old stuff was fun.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a collector...but I'm sure others have better...

Herkamer63
13-03-2014, 13:22
For 6th:

Big Rule Book
Small Rule Book
Codex: Dark Angels Limited
Codex: Tau Empire Limited
Supplement: Farsight Enclaves Limited
Codex: Eldar Limited
Supplement: Iyanden Limited
Codex: Space Marines Limited
Codex: Tyranids Limited
Codex: Imperial Knights Limited
Imperial Armour 3: The Taros Campaign 2nd ed
Imperial Armour 11: The Doom Of Mymera
Horus Heresy Vol1: Betrayal
Horus Heresy Vol2: Massacre
Horus Heresy: Visions Of Heresy Collector's
Horus Heresy: The Collected Visions

The rest of the codices as well as Escalation & Stronghold Assault I have on digiformat along with the Tau, Cypher & Tyranid dataslates.

To put this into a bit of perspective I also have collected since ~1990 or so:

Fantasy Dwarfs Limited
Fantasy Lizardmen Limited
40k 5th Ed BRB
40k 5th Ed Leather BRB Limited & signed
40k 4th Ed BRB
40k 3rd Ed BRB
40k 2nd Ed BRB
40k Rogue Trader
40k Battle Manual
40k Vehicle Manual
40k Compendium
Codex: Dark Angels
Codex: Blood Angels
Codex: Angels Of Death
Codex: Space Wolves
(A load of other 2-5th ed books here)
Xenology
The Gothic And The Eldritch
The Tau & Necron Collector's Guide
The Eldar & Dark Eldar Collector's Guide

And all the Heresy novels, some audiobooks, a shelf of 40k novels including Deathwing, Inquisitor & Space Marine. My rulebooks for Space Hulk, Deathwing & Genestealer, Space Marine/Epic 2nd ed and Advanced Space Crusade are also bindered in with everything on my 40k shelves. Ah, the old stuff was fun.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a collector...but I'm sure others have better...

I forgot about Iyanden. That's another I don't have because it's ipad only. Anyway, impressive collection. I forgot to mention I will probably start collecting army books for fantasy. I just have Ogres and the 8th ed small rule book. I'm waiting for 9th to come out to start collecting more.

hobojebus
13-03-2014, 16:35
I dont own and have no intention of ever owning those over priced digital codex's.

There is zero excuse for a digital book to cost the same as a printed book, and the fact GW wont pass on the savings in order to gouge more money out of their player base disgusts me no end.

Other companies knock of 30-40% from digital versions and still make money.

Of course there are ways to get digital books without giving GW a dime.

Axeman1n
13-03-2014, 22:56
I have every codex produced since 3rd ed. I buy each and every hardback book, including Armybooks for WFB. I'm a bit P.O.'d about the Crimson Slaughter, as it has nothing to do with the game that I've collected, and nothing to do with the fluff that I've read. That all being true, I'm still going to buy it.
It does mean that I have no money for models, but since I've already got 14 armies to play, each between 2k and 15k, I don't need models.

Sir Didymus
14-03-2014, 07:49
Of course there are ways to get digital books without giving GW a dime.

Are you also swiping blisters from the store, when the staff isn't looking? ;)

Pssyche
14-03-2014, 08:16
I forgot about Iyanden. That's another I don't have because it's ipad only.

No it's not.
I've got a physical copy of the book.
And Games Workshop have got that many, they had to start selling them...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat790002a&prodId=prod2100012a

Geep
14-03-2014, 08:54
:wtf: They've increased the price on the Iyanden supplement. I had been considering it- I won't now.

I used to collect every 6th ed 40K and every 8th ed Fantasy book, and also have many from previous editions. I have every set of rulebooks and every supplement (other than single army books) for every edition of both games. Now though I can only afford my own army books, and I like to collect the supplements and campaign books as well (though even many of them are out of my budget, unfortunately).
One day I will own them all (and collect all 7th ed Fantasy army books too), but it will have to wait.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 12:05
Been collecting the campaign expansions for 40k recently, the Chaosy one really wetted my appetite, they're bloody well put together.

Now I'm after a new Space Marine chapter to make based off the Imperial fists so the new one they have out is next I think, could even be Crimson Fists…Love them, and the book Ryans World.

hobojebus
14-03-2014, 13:49
Are you also swiping blisters from the store, when the staff isn't looking? ;)

I haven't set foot in a gw store since 2005 when they cancelled vet night and took away my only place to play for the next 7 years, I won't buy direct from gw on principle.

I've never stolen anything but I don't hold it against others I know if they get the pdf gratis rather than pay the stupid prices gw wants, 30 for the printed codex is taking the **** as it is a digital version should be 50% less as they don't have to get it printed or have it stored in a warehouse or a retail outlet.

IcedCrow
14-03-2014, 14:30
i've snagged Iyanden as that is my current campaign army. I've gotten Sentinels of Terra for next years campaign as I am building an IMperial Fists army. I will probably pick up the Crimson Slaughter for lolz.

Herkamer63
14-03-2014, 16:25
No it's not.
I've got a physical copy of the book.
And Games Workshop have got that many, they had to start selling them...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat790002a&prodId=prod2100012a

well yeah there's a physical copy, but its not for kindle. Unless if u can send me that link with kindle, I was planning on getting it for hardback.

Sir Didymus
14-03-2014, 20:46
I haven't set foot in a gw store since 2005 when they cancelled vet night and took away my only place to play for the next 7 years, I won't buy direct from gw on principle.

I've never stolen anything but I don't hold it against others I know if they get the pdf gratis rather than pay the stupid prices gw wants, 30 for the printed codex is taking the **** as it is a digital version should be 50% less as they don't have to get it printed or have it stored in a warehouse or a retail outlet.

So you justify theft by saying that its okay, because the price is too high? Really..? :p

hobojebus
14-03-2014, 23:14
So you justify theft by saying that its okay, because the price is too high? Really..? :p

I dont need to justify it as i dont do it but i know people who do and i'm in no rush to condemn them for it.

And it would not happen if prices were more reasonable.

Once upon a time in the distant past an army book was 12, and people like me would buy each as they came out to read the background and get an idea how to fight the army, it wasn't cheap but didn't break the bank but now people cant afford that at 30 a pop.

People still want to read the background, but its no longer reasonable to expect them to buy each army book/codex.

RTB01
14-03-2014, 23:59
I used to buy all the codex but price creep from 12-15-20-25/30 has made them unaffordable. I will however hypocritically buy FW books (heresy books) because the whole design philosophy seems spot on. Yes the books are a fortune but a single heresy book to me is worth more than 2 of the current codices.

burni
15-03-2014, 00:00
Slight off topic but just wondered about current iBooks codexes; do they all have an army builder feature now? Or was that just something they tried with the Marines book? Need to make up my mind if I'm buying the hardback or ebook edition of the new IG book and possibility the Storm Trooper one.

AndrewGPaul
15-03-2014, 13:59
Funnily enough I can afford more 30 books now than I could 12 books in 2nd edition.

I don't, though, because I don't have room for them. The digital versions gave been handy from that point of view.