PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings Arkhan Death to foes!

GrandmasterWang
13-03-2014, 05:56
Now I have had some great success with tomb kings and they are one of my better performing armies. For fluff reasons I like to use Settra sometimes (one of my fave Wh characters). Settra of course leads my magic light forces. With his epic warrior will being the difference many times...

However I am considering turning to the darkside for a few games and using the traitor Arkhan instead.of the great imperishable one.

Examining the TK book it seems to me that with Arkhan (or Khatep but Arkhan in this instance) I can have one of the most devastating and unstoppable magic phases in the game. I normally only use nehekara/light in my lists so this death prophet is uncharted territory for me. Basically my 'magic build' is as follows. Arkhan as my only mage giving me a weakness in defense however this build is all about the Kill Kill Kill.

Looking for some thoughts from Tomb Kings and their foes on the following.

Arkhan (foot, either with archers or spears)
Heirotitan
Casket.

This I believe comes to 665 points and allows me to take an additional bone giant In rare giving me 2 thunderstompers.

If you face tomb kings. Would the above scare you?

Basically + d3 to cast values due to Heiro. + D3 power dice to casket and Arkhan as a lvl 5 wizard using death can also bring extra power dice if wounds are caused.

My thoughts are of running this basically as an assassination army with Arkhan blasting death snipes with the huge bonuses he gets with this army (+6 to 8) on every casting attempt. Take out their mages first.. the bsb/general within 24 inches. This then gives extra power dice for the casket/shems from heiro.

Doom and darkness to increase pain for foe followed by magical destruction for the enemy?

Do you think this is viable? A bit rude?

Countered somewhat by Arkhan being defenceless. The plan is he acts as magical artillery devastating from a far. His Nagash staff for when I dont/ cant dispell gives him even more dice. Keep Arkhan protected while he obliterates their magic users/ leaders is the plan for this force.

As part of this force I plan on running 33 tomb guard (7 5) with swords and a prince and necrotect to tank/bring clise combat pain.

Owning several armies including dark and high elves I cant see even them matching the devastating magical destruction potential of this force.

Thoughts?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Wesser
13-03-2014, 08:07
Well you'll lack Nehekharan magic and once Arkhan then the battle is nothing if not uphill.

I faced a similar build with my Wood Elves recently which was curious because Arkhan barely had spell worth casting, but the damn Casket (shudder).... In the end the lack of of Lore of Nehekhara meant my opponent was completely outmaneuvered which made it impossible to protect Arkhan. Naestra & Arahan took him Down with no trouble (and they aint exactly superb fighters) around Turn 4 and even though I had barely engaged his main combat Blocks, the rest of the battle was just about mopping up his army.

Now I wouldn't ever rely on magic to get the job done, and Death Magic (while a potent lore) can have some pretty bad matchups. It seems like one of those unreliable hit-or-miss tactics. When it Works it'll be horrific, but just as often it will fail horribly. Very much dependent on whether you happen to face Ogres or elves for instance...

Warboss_R'ok
19-03-2014, 23:59
Owning several armies including dark and high elves I cant see even them matching the devastating magical destruction potential of this force.

High elves can have one unit with a 2++ vs magic due to BoTWD, a couple of units of phoenixguard with a character carrying the obsidian lodestone/amulet so another 2 units with 2++ vs magic. Then Dragon princes with a high magic user and the lichebone pennant/obsidian whavtever which will be 2++ vs magic.

And it ALL has a 2+ save versus purple sun since elves are I5.

You cast all 3 death snipes and he has a 2++ against it, as well as his dispell dice, scroll, and book of hoeth. And Teclis if he REALLY wants to bring the cheese.

Please tell me how your magic phase would hurt this?

SkawtheFalconer
20-03-2014, 00:07
I played Arkhan the black recently - opponent used Doom and Darkness coupled with a screaming skull or two to panic one of my crucial units off the board. It's potentially two flee rolls before you can even think about dispelling D&D - not very pleasant.

Kartoffelsalat
20-03-2014, 19:28
My friend runs Arkhan to devestating effect. Run arkhan on foot with a light council and some kitty cats to munch infantry blocks and gather up the points. After one or two turns if they aren't dead you either did something wrong, rolled really low for magic two turns in a row, or faced something really quick and deadly that got first turn on you, and charged your bunker tope of 2.

badguyshaveallthefun
22-03-2014, 20:51
High elves can have one unit with a 2++ vs magic due to BoTWD, a couple of units of phoenixguard with a character carrying the obsidian lodestone/amulet so another 2 units with 2++ vs magic. Then Dragon princes with a high magic user and the lichebone pennant/obsidian whavtever which will be 2++ vs magic.

And it ALL has a 2+ save versus purple sun since elves are I5.

You cast all 3 death snipes and he has a 2++ against it, as well as his dispell dice, scroll, and book of hoeth. And Teclis if he REALLY wants to bring the cheese.

Please tell me how your magic phase would hurt this?

You raise some good points, but I just have to ask: When do you ever see a high elf player field that much magic resistance unless they're list tailoring? I only ever see the BoTWD in every list, and it's usually in the unit of phoenix guard (or sword masters, or white lions)
Most people I know don't take MR, as it's too situational and IMO too expensive.

Wesser
23-03-2014, 10:53
MSU lists (especially Hig Initiative ones) will be an extremely effective setup against this list.

Reliance on Death Magic Means you'll likely be standing still a lot, and if the opponent don't have characters to single out or units vulnerable to Purple you'll prolly find yourself without any spells worth casting