PDA

View Full Version : New to Vampire Counts, first list, 3000pts

The French Guy
13-03-2014, 15:43
Hi everyone!
I have some experience as a fantasy player, mainly with Skavens and Ogres.
I have always found Vampire Counts very appealing but never took the time to create an army of bonies.
However, I got the army book and wrote a list based on the units I like and hope to be effective!

Here is the result, what do you think?
Any glaring mistakes? Would you tweak something?

Thank you very much! :)

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
level 4 (vamp lore)/ red fury/ dark majesty/ Beguile/
sword +2F/ heavy armor/ nightshroud/ other tricker shard/ enchanted shield. 521pts

HEROES:
Vampire BSB:
level 2 (death lore)/ dark majesty/ terror/
Sword +2A/ dragonhelm/ heavy armor/ shield. 271pts

Necromancer:
level 1, (Vamp lore), master of the dead, dispel scroll. 110pts

Banshee: 95pts

BASE:
49 zombies: banner. 152pts
40 skeletons: musician/ spears/ screaming banner. 245pts
40 ghouls. 400pts
5 wolves. 40pts
5 wolves. 40pts

SPECIAL:
39 grave guards: great weapons/ musician/ banner of the barrows. 538pts
1 corpse cart: balefire/ unholy lodestone. 135pts
3 vargheist. 138pts
1 spirit host. 45pts
1 spirit host. 45pts

RARE:
1 terrorgheist. 225pts

TOTAL: 3 000pts.

So, here it is:
I might put the lord+bsb into the grave guard unit.
Banshee might go with grave guards or skeletons to add some punch.

I have some aggressive units (grave guards, ghuls, vargheist), anvil units (zombies and skeletons should absorb a charge), chaff/antichaff (wolves, spirit hosts) and some wild cards (corpse cart, terrogheist, banshee)
I should have interesting spells, mainly rising deads with the lord and necro, and sniping spells with the level 2 BSB. ;)

AM1640
13-03-2014, 20:02
Hi French Guy, welcome to the night.
Vamp Lord: This guy is your general. You MUST keep him alive, while the nightshroud heavy armour is good, it isn't great. You can't combine the Night shroud and enchanted shield as they are both magic armour. Highly recommend a ward save of some type. If this guy dies you are going to have a very difficult game.
Vamp Hero: BSB is not really necessary for Vampires as it only reduces the crumble by 1. I understand that you are planning to put the scary vamp next tot he vamp lord in the grave guard, but you have the screaming banner on the skeletons. How about give this vamp the mask of eee for terror, and replace the terror power with quickblood or if points allow fear incarnate(book not here with me). This allows you to keep terror which doesn't always do much but will cause MI to take fear checks (not something most MI are good at).
Level 1 Necro, looks ok, you will discover whether you want to keep Master of the dead on this guy or not.
Banshees, I have never tried one, so have fun.
A Master Necro, Having your wizard and fighter and general all in one guy that is trying to get in combat can be risky. At 3000 points you should be able to remove the 3 wizard levels from the Vamp Lord and get a Master Necro instead.
49 Zombies this is a little big for a bunker and you mentioned using them as an anvil. A word of warning, zombies suck. They suck hard in combat. 49 won't stop much for very long. The other problem is that they give up alot of combat res. For example, you receive a charge from a unit of Greatswords who cut down 15 zombies. You lose combat and another16 zombies drop, you now have 17 zombies. If you are lucky you may raise 10 back in your turn. You also charge in with your Vargheists on the flank. The vargheists kill 5 GS, the GS then cut down 12 zombies. You lose combat, a bunch more zombies and all your vargheists. Zombies in large enough numbers can tarpit but they can't go into multiple unit combats.
Skeletons are an ok anvil, but you should consider hand weapon and shield. Skeletons don't have the strength to kill anything, even with more attacks. When they can parry and not lose combat by as much that is where skeletons shine.
Ghouls, wolves, and grave guard all look good.
Can the corpse cart take both upgrades, I don't think it can but book not in front of me right now.
Spirit hosts, vargheists, and terrorgheist are all good. Terrorgheist isn't a wild card, it is an ace in the hole. It will attract warmachine fire like crazy. Do not send it in to combat against much of anything. Keep it behind your general's unit, when the vamp lord gets in combat, fly the TG next to the target unit and scream. Don't send it off on it's own, it can't march.

The French Guy
14-03-2014, 10:41
Thanks for your answer!
I agree on the lord part. I forgot about the enchanted shield/nightshroud incompatibility. I was hoping a 2+ save, with his T5, nightshroud and beguile (+2 aura of dark maj!) could protect him. I might go for a 3+/4++.

What about heavy armor, enchanted shield, 4++ talisman, ironcurse icon and the +2S sword?

About the BSB, it is only in order to field the amazing forge world VC BSB model and count it as a vampire.

I agree, a master necro should be interesting, I originally had 2 lords, the vamp as he is above + a lvl 4 master necro with dispel scroll and death lore.
But I dropped him to get a level 1 necro + a banshee.
I can see the banshee going with the ghouls, to give terror + scream (will have terror in the GG + the ghouls that way, and screaming banner in skeletons, should scare some units!)

I know zombies sucks as I destroyed 2 VC armies by killing truckloads of them in a multifight with my Ogres. However, they are definitely cool, and I hope between the lord+necro+corpse cart, I might grow them big in 2 turns, and it is a psychological factor for my opponent, having an evergrowing horde of dead bodies on a flank, even if they are crap, say 70 bodies catch people attention.
I won't throw vargheists or important stuff in a combat where they are, or everything will die, just like you said.

Skeletons are better with swords, you're right, but god they look so cool with spears. Master of the dead might be good on them, at least I hope!

And you're right, Corpse carts can only have one option, a shame, I really hesitate between those 2. Keeping the balefire would give me 30pts to play with, but the unholy lodestone might be the most useful tool as I will be casting invocation everyturn... what do you think?

I agree, Terrorgheists are amazing, I said wild card in a sense that they can move really fast, threaten any kind of foe and are tactically flexible (don't have to stick to a predefined plan during the entire game), plus the scream isn't a conventional attack.

I also consider vargs and spirit hosts very good elements, as they can quickly adapt to the opponent/evolution of the battle and swamp/slaughter a lot of different units.

Kayosiv
15-03-2014, 04:35
Echoing the comments that you need a ward save of your general. It's just tactically foolish to not include one.

Your BSB has too many bells and whistles. He's super easy to kill for a guy that costs over 250 points. I would remove his vampire powers entirely and slim down on his equipment. It's great you want him to kill stuff, but for all the equipment and powers you're giving him you could buy a wraith and plop it next to him. I've also found lore of Shadow to be much more useful on vampire heroes than lore of death.

Master of the dead with only 1 unit of skeletons on a level 1 wizard doesn't strike me as worth it.

Buy a champion for your grave guard. if you plan to put you lord in here even some of the time, the ability to absorb challenges so he doesn't have to get bogged down in them is worth 10 points.

I would argue that your army is too slow. With the exception of the vargheists, everything that can fight is movement 4. I'd try to work in a Book of Arkhan for this reason.

The French Guy
18-03-2014, 09:35
Thanks for those tips man!

I reworked the list, I hope it looks better now:

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
level 4 (Vamp lore)/ red fury/ dark majesty/ Beguile/
sword +2F/ heavy armor/ enchanted shield/ 4++ talisman/ Ironcurse icon. 510pts

Master Necromancer:
level 4 (Vamp lore), Dispel scroll. 225pts

HEROES:
Wight King:
BSB, +2A sword, dragonhelm, heavy armor, shield. 164pts

BASE:
49 zombies: banner. 152pts
40 skeletons: musician/ spears/ screaming banner. 245pts
40 ghouls. 400pts
5 wolves. 40pts
5 wolves. 40pts

SPECIAL:
39 grave guards: great weapons/ champion/ musician/ banner of the barrows. 548pts
1 corpse cart: unholy lodestone. 120pts
3 vargheist. 138pts
1 spirit host. 45pts
1 spirit host. 45pts

RARE:
1 terrorgheist. 225pts

TOTAL: 2 992pts.

Does it look better now?
Still trying to figure out if it's ok to put the necro master into the GG unit with the Vampire+ Wight King, or if I should split the zombies and use 20 as a backfield bunker....
Banshee could go in the skeletons to add punch/terror.
I kept unholy lodestone as I think it should be more useful than balefire as I will respawn everyturn.

The French Guy
19-03-2014, 14:39
I dropped 1 grave guard and 1 skeleton. Added 10 zombies, split zombies in 2 units to get a bunker for the Master Necro.
Banshee in the skeletons, Vampire+ Wight king in the grave guards.

Should I give Shadow/Death lore to the Master Necro?

Here it is:

LORDS :
Vampire lord :

Master Necromancer:
level 4 (Vamp lore), Dispel scroll. 225pts

HEROES:
Wight King:

BASE:
39 zombies. 117pts
20 zombies. 60pts
39 skeletons: musician/ spears/ screaming banner. 240pts
40 ghouls. 400pts
5 wolves. 40pts
5 wolves. 40pts

SPECIAL:
38 grave guards: great weapons/ champion/ musician/ banner of the barrows. 536pts
3 vargheist. 138pts
1 spirit host. 45pts
1 spirit host. 45pts

RARE:
1 terrorgheist. 225pts

AM1640
19-03-2014, 14:55
I like to put the necros in a bunker since they are so important to the army and so squishy.
So I see that you gave the Wight King a magic sword, you do realize you lose killing blow? Not that killing blow is all that great. If you really want the nightshroud, remove the dragonhelm and go with the dragonbane gem instead (book not in front of me, but I think the gem is cheap enough...). Then place this guy next to whatever character you want to protect.

gero_nz
19-03-2014, 19:42
Just a few thoughts:

I do not believe the Wight lord will lose KB on account of his magic weapon, though do not have the book handy.

If you're putting the vamp and Wight in the same unit though I think the nightshroud on the Wight is a good idea (placed next to the vamp)

Pref hw/shield for SKeletons and 5 wide, perhaps personal pref though. (They're not there to do damage though)

I don't think you need two level 4's - I'd drop the necro master and replace him w maybe just a couple of lvl 1's (w scroll etc).

Maybe grab another ethereal with the extra points - a cairnwraith hero or another spirit base

The French Guy
21-03-2014, 11:17
Ok, thanks for those information guys.
I read that the Wight King keep his KB even with a magical weapon. In this case, I prefer having 5A than the nightshroud.

If I drop the master necro, I can take a level 2 necro with the staff of damnation to give additional attacks to skeletons/grave guards (should be pretty boss no?).
And still have 85pts to play with, could be 10 more wolves?
Or I could drop 1 magic level and have a second corpse cart, with the balefire upgrade this time.

Does it look like a good idea?

Drop master necro
==> get a level 2 necro with staff of damnation + 2nd Banshee (need to find 5 pts)/ or 2 more spirit bases.
==> get a level 2 necro with staff of damnation + 10 wolves (5pts left over).
==> get a level 1 necro with staff of damnation + 2nd corpse cart with balefire upgrade (15pts left over).

gero_nz
23-03-2014, 20:17
You need to keep the scroll

I'd prioritise this and go a lvl 1 or 2 w scroll, than a unit of wolves and another spirit host

Alternatively 2 lvl 1's and a unit of wolves?

Alternatively, have you considered keeping the lvl 4 necro, and dropping your lord down to say, lvl 2?

Frees 70 points - 5 more points gets you 5 wolves + spirit host

The French Guy
24-03-2014, 13:12
Good pts.

I might have to choose between those two options:
==> Necro: level 2, dispel scroll + 10 wolves. (AND 20PTS left over)
==> Necro: level 2, dispel scroll + Corpse cart with Balefire. (need 5pts)

I like the idea of two packs of 10 wolves as chaff/ wizzards/ warmachine hunters.
On another hand, 2 corpse carts would look extremely cool, flanking my zombie bunker and giving ASF to the frontline thanks to the Necro spells.

quietus1986
24-03-2014, 13:48
you lose killing blow with magic weapon juist like you lose poisen with a magic weapon on strigoi lords.

The French Guy
24-03-2014, 14:11
Hmmm, after a research, I found that Killing blow special rule stays even if using a magic weapon, but Poison is lost unless the magic weapon has this special rule.

The French Guy
24-03-2014, 15:36
Here is the last draft thanks to your comments guys.
I have 20pts left over, could be a Master of the dead on the Necro, or 2 champions (ghouls and vargheists?).
Could also find 5pts and give the Ruby ring to the Necro for some fireball fun.

What do you think?

LORDS :
Vampire lord :

HEROES:
Necromancer:
level 2 (Vamp lore), dispel scroll. 125pts

Wight King:

BASE:
39 zombies. 117pts
20 zombies. 60pts
39 skeletons: musician/ screaming banner. 240pts
40 ghouls. 400pts
10 wolves. 80pts
10 wolves. 80pts

SPECIAL:
38 grave guards: great weapons/ champion/ musician/ banner of the barrows. 536pts
3 vargheist. 138pts
1 spirit host. 45pts
1 spirit host. 45pts

RARE:
1 terrorgheist. 225pts

TOTAL: 2 980pts.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
25-03-2014, 17:58
Drop BSB off the wight king. -1 crumble isn't worth giving 100 free victory points to your opponent when he dies. He's only really worthwhile if you're going really heavy on hard-to-wound models (black knights, crypt ghouls, etc.). As an undead player you're only really taking leadership checks on crumbles, free reforms, frenzy tests, and against things like the Casket of Souls.

I'm also a big fan of giving those guys just a great weapon. They're slow and tough, and S6 is pretty solid and gives him a bit more utility than extra attacks with killing blow. It's also cheaper, and gives you more room for defensive kit. Like the Night Shroud, which can protect BOTH the wight AND the vampire if they're standing next to each other.

The French Guy
25-03-2014, 23:21
Thank!
I know BSB isn't an optimal choice, but I really want to field this mini: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/VAMPIRE-COUNTS/WIGHT_KING_BATTLE_STANDARD_BEARER.html
So, I guess 25pts isn't much, it should reduce the crumble by 2, so 24pts (2 grave guards a turn).

Nightshroud and great weapon is an idea.
I also read about the Fencer blades on the Wight king to protect him and make him hit on 2+.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
26-03-2014, 00:57
Honestly, it's not the 25 point upgrade that's the issue, but the 100 victory points he gives up as a Seized Standard (BRB p 143).

You could always just make that model the regular standard bearer for the unit? The standard GW wight king is a pretty cool model for a standalone king, though there are other badass alternatives (https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/cmon-contest-16-lich-king-from-mad-puppet-miniatures-limited-edition.html) as well.

gero_nz
27-03-2014, 01:24
Tend to agree re BSB

Why 2x10 wolves rather than 4x5? Think the latter gives more versatility and is still able to do the job.

The French Guy
27-03-2014, 09:47
I thought 10 wolves would be better (more punch) but I guess you're right and 4x5 might be better.

When you say: "Tend to agree re BSB",
I don't understand if you mean you agree I should keep it or drop it....

ChrisRabbit
27-03-2014, 11:13
The consensus is that BSB's aren't required and are a liability in the field.

Interesting army btw

Importman
27-03-2014, 11:36
The consensus is that BSB's aren't required and are a liability in the field.

Interesting army btw

Interesting in that this army is really slow. I guess you are going for the old "you can't kill them faster than I can raise them" route.

BSB in undead army is more a liability than benefit most of the time. But I guess if you have a cool model for it then why not.

Will be interested in how you do with this army. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

The French Guy
27-03-2014, 11:51
Get it, and as PirateRobotNinjaofDeath said, I can still use the forge world WK as the grave guard holding the banner of the Barrows.

For the pts of the WK and the 20pts left over,
I could also get a Vampire: level 1, +2A sword, heavy armor, dragonhelm, shield and 1 power (fear incarnate or terror...)
(181-186pts, WK+20pts= 184pts)

Which one would serve the list the best?

Importman
27-03-2014, 12:28
Get it, and as PirateRobotNinjaofDeath said, I can still use the forge world WK as the grave guard holding the banner of the Barrows.

For the pts of the WK and the 20pts left over,
I could also get a Vampire: level 1, +2A sword, heavy armor, dragonhelm, shield and 1 power (dark majesty or fear incarnate or terror...)
(181-186pts, WK+20pts= 184pts)

Which one would serve the list the best?

The WK with banner of barrows would be what I would go for since you do have a decent size unit of GG already. They will be the main beatstick of this army.

Importman
27-03-2014, 12:38
Also I don't know about you but I personally don't tend to go for characters with too many items as I tend to forget half of these in the middle of the game.

So that is why I would take WK with just the banner over another vamp.

Edit: don't forget your fear test and your banner will grant you an amazing 2+ to hit with GG great weapons.

The French Guy
27-03-2014, 15:08
Ok, here I go again.
I dropped 10 wolves and a level off the Necro.
With those pts I added a second corpse cart for maximum ASF and balefire to **** opponent wizzards off.
I also added Summon creatures of the night on the Vampire lord as I only have 2*5 wolves and this should allow me to turn them into 2*10 wolves first turn.

On the characters loadouts:
Vampire lord: I dropped ironcurse icon and enchanted shield and got the Other tricker shard, hope it's worth the trade.
Wight king: I dropped the +2A sword and dragonhelm and went for the Nightshroud+ dragonbane gem and ironcurse icon.

I kept the BSB option, sorry but I love the model too much. I can see me dropping it if it really doesn't work out after some games.
I had 6pts left over so got 2 more zombies in the 39 block.

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
level 4 (Vamp lore)
red fury/ dark majesty/ Beguile/ Summon creatures of the night
+2S sword/ 4++ talisman/ Other tricker shard/ heavy armor/ shield. 534pts

HEROES:
Necromancer:
level 1 (Vamp lore), dispel scroll. 90pts

Wight King:
BSB, Nightshroud, dragonbane gem, ironcurse icon, heavy armor, shield. 164pts

BASE:
41 zombies. 123pts
20 zombies. 60pts
39 skeletons: musician/ screaming banner. 240pts
40 ghouls. 400pts
5 wolves. 40pts
5 wolves. 40pts

SPECIAL:
1 corpse cart: balefire. 105pts
3 vargheist. 138pts
1 spirit host. 45pts
1 spirit host. 45pts

RARE:
1 terrorgheist. 225pts

Asdrubael108
27-03-2014, 20:08
looks like a good list to me!

The French Guy
25-04-2014, 14:42
Hi all!
I was re reading my list today and thought: hmm, I could spend the 41 Zombies pts into another SPECIAL unit.
So here it is, a slightly changed list including Crypt horrors.
What do you think?

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
Level 4 (Vampire lore)
Red fury/ Dark majesty/ Beguile/ Summon creatures of the night
+2S sword/ 4++ / Other tricker shard/ Heavy armor/ Shield. 534pts

HEROES:

Necromancer:
Level 1 (Vampire lore), Dispel scroll. 90pts

Wight King (BSB):
Heavy armor, Shield, Nightshroud (/or +2A sword),
Dragonbane gem, Ironcurse icon. 164pts

BASE:
5 Wolves. 40pts
5 Wolves. 40pts
40 Ghouls. 400pts
23 Zombies. 69pts
39 Skeletons: Light armor, HW, Shield, Musician, Screaming banner. 240pts

SPECIAL:
1 Spirit host. 45pts
1 Spirit host. 45pts
3 Vargheist. 138pts
3 Crypt horrors. 114pts
1 Corpse cart: Balefire. 105pts
1 Corpse cart: Unholy lodestone. 120pts
38 Grave guards: HA, GW, Champion, Musician, Banner of the barrows. 536pts

RARE:
1 Terrorgheist. 225pts

Wesser
25-04-2014, 15:48
Hmm

You got one unit that qualifies as a fighting unit (GG with both fighters in it I assume). Pretty much a Deathstar that people will try to avoid. To get the most of it you really need to get Vanhel off, so I'd recommend the Book of Arkhan to make sure you get the GG where they need to be.

Your entire army wants to be within 12' of the General, but since he's inside a horde unit only a few will be able to. You''l probably largely find yourself unable to form a coherent advance and stuff such as Vortexes and Stone Throwers can't miss.

Losing your general will not only mean your army will be slower than a lame goblin, you also lose you main caster. Consider running a lvl 4 Master Necromancer (Book?) for that and keeping the Vampire Lord as a lvl 1 with Red Fury/dispel scroll/enchanted shield/4++/Ogre blade instead.

I'm a great fan of Corpse Carts as they make Elf players cry... praise for taking those :)

The French Guy
26-04-2014, 13:16
Hi! Thanks for your answer!
Having the level 4 on the Necro can be good, but it would cost me 30 more pts at the end, and his bunker could get charged by a flying/fast mean unit and tear through Zombies.
I also like the idea of a big badass Vampire lord keeping everything together by it's will, if he dies, then I consider it fair to see my army crumble, kinda cinematic after all.

I plan on having this frontline: Skeletons/ GG/ Ghouls.
Then just behind: Corpse cart/ Zombies and Necro/ Corpse cart.
The Vanguard/Flank units are: Wolves/ Spirit hosts/ Vargheists/ Crypt horrors/ Terrorgheist.

Those units will redirect/ hunt warmachines and chaffs/
The Vargheists/Crypt horrors can also perform flank charges to help the Frontline units.

CountUlrich
26-04-2014, 16:30
3 vargheists and 3 crypt horrors are both very suboptimal, particularly at this point level. Choose one or the other and go all in. Basically 9 crypt horrors > 6 vargheists > 6 crypt horrors, and don't even bother with only 3 of either.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The French Guy
28-04-2014, 13:12
Well, I see them as chaff killers and warmachine hunters primarily.
I included the Crypt horrors cause I would like to get as much diversity as possible in the list.

However, I could use 30 of their pts to transfer 3 Levels from the Vampire to the Necro (making him a Level 4 Master Necro), then get something else for 84pts.
Just not sure what to get....

EDIT:
And potentially 3 Zombies down, so 9 more pts.
What could I get for 93pts?

Could be a Level 1 Necro with one of the Army book Arcan items, say the Book of Arkhan?

Wilhelm das Blutige
28-04-2014, 14:16
Here's my tuppence worth on the BSB.

VCs don't need to worry about Break tests, but I have had games where I wished I had a BSB. A number of times my Vamp Lord/ Black Knight bus got drawn out of position when I wanted to redirect a charge or restrain from pursuit, and rolled an 11 for my Leadership check.

Borgomos
28-04-2014, 14:27
I would only field a BSB if i was going for a Black Knight + Blenderlord bus, at that point i would get a mounted Wight King BSB with Nightshroud. Helps with pesky Great Weapon units and provides a T5 3W sponge in the front.

The French Guy
29-04-2014, 08:31
So, here it is, dropping the Crypt horrors for a Level 4 Master necro and the Book.
The Vampire lord can now go kill stuff while the Necros bunker into the Zombies and make bits of undead flesh fly as they miscast like hell.
What do you think? Better than having a unit worth 123pts in the list?

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
Level 1 (Vampire lore), Red fury/ Dark majesty/ Beguile/ Summon creatures of the night
+2S sword/ 4++ / Other tricker shard/ Heavy armor/ Shield. 429pts

Master Necromancer:
Level 4 (Vampire lore), Book of Arkhan. 225pts

HEROES:

Necromancer:

Wight King (BSB):

BASE:
5 Wolves. 40pts
5 Wolves. 40pts
40 Ghouls. 400pts
21 Zombies. 63pts

SPECIAL:
1 Spirit host. 45pts
1 Spirit host. 45pts
3 Vargheist. 138pts

RARE:
1 Terrorgheist. 225pts

Kayosiv
30-04-2014, 07:31
Summon creatures of the night is pointless on a level 1 with the low amount of dogs and lack of bats in your list.

Vampire Lord would be better served to have no shield, a great weapon and a dragon helm. Same stats, strikes last, but saves you 30 points and gets a bonus 2+ ward against fire. You can use the points saved to buy him a nice arcane item or even some magic levels.

If your vampire lord now has a dispel scroll, does this necro caddy even need to be here?

The French Guy
30-04-2014, 08:56
Thanks Kayosiv!
I understand that paying 40pts for +2S might seem expensive when I could take GW/Dragonhelm instead, but ASL really bothers me on the VL, especially as I am already hesitating a lot between Aura of dark majesty and Quickblood....

Regarding Summon, the thing is I will have wolves minis around and I can't fit them in the list, however, I had 10pts available to put on the Vampire lord, getting the two wolves units up to 10 first turn can be good IMO. I understand it would be a problem on a Level 1 VL.
After some thinking, I dislike splitting Level 4 capacity and the Vampire lord, seems more "natural" to me merging those, so back to the original structure, with 123pts to play with....

Here are the main options I have:
* a second banshee to go with the Ghouls and give a Level 2 to the Necromancer.
* 5 Black knights (find pts to get barding + lances).
* a bunch of Fell bats/ Bat swarms.
* 3 Crypt horrors and 3 zombies.

I like the idea of giving the Ghouls a banshee (dropping one Ghouls), and with the remaining pts, upgrading the Necro to Level 2 and adding a zombie.
What do you think?

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
Level 4 (Vampire lore), Red fury/ Dark majesty/ Beguile/ Summon creatures of the night
+2S sword/ 4++ / Other tricker shard/ Heavy armor/ Shield. 429pts

HEROES:

Necromancer:

Wight King (BSB):

BASE:
5 Wolves. 40pts
5 Wolves. 40pts
40 Ghouls. 400pts
20 Zombies. 60pts

SPECIAL:
1 Spirit host. 45pts
1 Spirit host. 45pts
3 Vargheist. 138pts

RARE:
1 Terrorgheist. 225pts

TOTAL: 2 877pts.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
04-05-2014, 21:14
Drop dark majesty for quickblood. What makes the blender lord effective is extra RF attacks. If you don't hit you can't wound, and can't get those stacks. AoDM isn't going to do much anyways. Neither is the screaming banner.

The wight king should be dropped as well. He's 164 points for 3 attacks, and he gives up 264 points if he dies. For his points you could turn your vargheists into a unit of 6 that could actually threaten things.

Two corpse carts seems like a waste. Especially in a list built around an ASL GG block with I3. Even of you ASF them they'll STILL be hitting last, and elves will still get rerolls against them.

It'll make ghouls mean, but meh. Who cares.

What could be awesome in this list though is double Mortis engine. It would give you good survivability, and they'll generate some serious hurt if you can protect them until late game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The French Guy
14-05-2014, 12:51
I didn't take Quickblood as ASF will be provided by the 2 Corpse carts, standing behind the GG block.
However, the -1 LD is , IMHO, pretty interesting with all the Fear tests an opponent will have to roll for, and with Beguile/ Screams/ Screaming banner. Lot of synergy.

As I said, the BSB is only in because I love the Forge world model and find it cool for a Vampire to have a Wight king carrying an old banner next to him.
And the Nightshroud will help both the Vampire and the WK.

I feel like Corpse carts should be awesome (well they look cool to begin with), providing buff to raise dead, debuff to opponent casting, and ASF to the Ghouls/Skeletons/GG.
Yes, deads are weak but once you start adding ASF, reroll to hit, reroll to wound, raise them back.... It will also negate the rerolls of Elves and ASF stuff.

I am pretty happy with the list below, I finally dropped the Crypt horrors, 1 Ghoul and 2 Zombies to add a second Banshee (in the Ghouls) and a level 2 on the Necromancer.
That way, both Skeletons and Ghouls have Terror and a scream. My magic is also consolidated.

LORDS :
Vampire lord :
Level 4 (Vampire lore)
Red fury, Dark majesty, Beguile, Summon,
HA, Shield, 4++, +2S sword, Other tricker shard. 534pts

HEROES:
Banshee. 95pts

Banshee. 95pts

Necromancer: Level 2 (Vampire lore), Dispel scroll. 125pts

Wight King (BSB):
HA, Shield, Nightshroud (or +2A sword), Dragonbane gem, Ironcurse icon. 164pts

BASE: