PDA

View Full Version : Pure Imperial Knight army?

PrivateLucky
14-03-2014, 03:31
Would a pure Imperial knight army be cheesy? I mean they are quite impressive, but would the sight of 5 of them (plus a small allied contingent) in a 2000k game turn you off to playing against them? I mean they are powerful, but there would only be 5 models, with a limited range of weaponry, and their points level is comparable to their power.

What do you all think?

The Emperor
14-03-2014, 03:37
IMO, if your opponent knows what he's facing and can prepare for it, then no.

agurus1
14-03-2014, 03:50
I'd play it, a local guy here wants to try it out

Mini77
14-03-2014, 05:56
An all Knight force would be quite amusing against something like, say for example, a Storm Raven based list. You'd never be able to shoot at them.......

The bearded one
14-03-2014, 07:12
Yeah, flyers will probably be a pain for them ;)

It's definately powerful, but it's a powerful list that - while powerful to usual all-comers lists and common meta lists - will collapse very quickly against lists with the right counters against them. Necrons, flyers (vendettas, storm ravens), tau double-melta suits deepstriking in the rear, etc.

Hendarion
14-03-2014, 07:19
A pretty regular list though imo doesn't stand much of a chance if not especially built to counter a knights army. No regular way to deal that many hull points damage when considering the potential 4++ on the Knights. Without being prepared for it, I'd call it cheese and wouldn't want to play it either - not much fun in knowing you can't get a couple of units down in the first place.

Tebrey
14-03-2014, 07:38
Oddly, I think my Eldar, Guard, and Daemon lists would do fine against them.

My Orks and CSM would die horribly though.

Shrug, I'd love it if one of the local guys showed up with these. Mine have been sitting on a shelf since I painted them. I don't think the local guys could handle that much armor, my mech guard run right over them. If they can't handle that, they can't handle knights.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 12:52
In no way shape or form would a Knight army be cheesy, I'd glady face that army, A because they look amazing! Even unpainted. And B, they aint broken, especially the Melta ones.

My mate took one to a 3000 point game last week it survived three turns but it died like a dog in the street, it did actually die in a street but what I'm trying to say is that in no way was it a game changer!

Awsome models.

FredrikR
14-03-2014, 13:22
My feeling is that it would be a pretty short game, using my standard triple-wing Dark Angels. My units on the board at setup would be pretty much obliterated on the opponents first turn. The regular Marines would mostly die horribly to the massed S8 AP3 pieplates, as would Rhino/Razorback/Predator. Deathwing should do OK, possibly the Ravenwing might dent the knights a bit before being pieplated as well...

I would certainly enjoy trying it, but with very little hope of emerging victorious. Feeling is that it might be fun to try, but probably not a setup that would be enjoyable multiple times... :-)

Sir Didymus
14-03-2014, 13:43
Knights are pretty cool models.

Spam armies on the other hand, like death stars, are a pretty boring concept.

-

Like a good meal, an army demands variety to be interesting. You need steak, lobster, something green and a few potatoes. If all you get is a pile of spam, you will end up disappointed. No matter if its served in one big tin, or in several smaller, its still just spam :p

duffybear1988
14-03-2014, 14:26
Depends what points level you are playing - at lower points I would say they would be a tad difficult for the other player to counter, especially if he doesn't know what you are bringing before hand. In large points games of 2000+ then maybe not so bad. i can't really say how they would run in big games as I refuse to play anything above 1500 points now.

Inquisitor Engel
14-03-2014, 14:41
Sure, but only if I can bring my Cobra. :D

IcedCrow
14-03-2014, 14:41
I don't think its any worse than a lot of the min/max tripe that flies around in the game already so feel free is my opinion.

OuroborosTriumphant
14-03-2014, 14:55
An army consisting entirely of Knights will be very Rock-Paper-Scissors. It'll win against some lists, which have no way to deal with that much AV12/13. It'll lose hard against others, most notably against fliers.

The same is true of a Green Tide list composed entirely of mob after mob of Boyz or an Imperial Guard Armoured Company list that consists of nothing but Leman Russes. Any list composed entirely of one kind of model will tend toward Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Like the other examples, I think the most powerful lists won't be the spam lists. 4 Knights and some Guard in Vendettas is much stronger than 5 Knights.

It's worth remembering; the same number of points in Leman Russes will get you just as many Battle Cannon Shots. The same number of points in Iron Clad dreadnought will give you more AV13 hull-points. Knights are not ridiculously good for their points. Yeah, 4 of them is probably going to overwhelm your armies anti-tank abilities, but your opponent probably won't take 4, because he doesn't want to auto-lose to a flier-heavy list. 8 battlecannon shots may well blast your army apart, but he's probably not taken all his Knights as Paladins because he'll want an Errant to deal with Land Raiders and terminators. And so on.

Denny
14-03-2014, 15:01
An army consisting entirely of Knights will be very Rock-Paper-Scissors.

This. I think my Dark Eldar would have a shot; lots of haywire wyches in close combat would finish off what the Dark Lances started.
My eldar might be trickier . . .

Camman1984
14-03-2014, 15:03
I think it is hard to directly compare them to other armoured forces, you can shake/stun/immobilise/weapon destroyed/explode other vehicles whereas IB makes them last longer and keep fully funtional to the end. They are also ridiculously dangerous in melee with that D weapon and stomp.

I would fight them, if only so my friend gets to use his expensive toys, but wouldnt want to do it often.

I think one of the biggest issues is that because they score and can be fielded without a FoC, there is no troops tax for them. I know against them that a big chunk of my army is going to be conpletely useless against them, but i have a FoC to think about so i cant just load up on podding melta command squads.

DoctorTom
14-03-2014, 15:09
Flyers would definitely be a problem for the all-knight army unless some countermeasures were taken in the allies or if you did something like get the dataslate for the Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing and put that with the knights. A list with that though might be worth giving fair warning to your opponents about.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 16:36
Flyers, Lascannons, Ordinance, Meltas, Plasmas, Powerfists, MC's.

You might be right, if someone rocked up with 40 marines and a few tanks they'd probably lose, but then they'd probably lose to everyone.
I don't think they'd pose too much of a problem, especially as terrain would let you cancel out at least one a turn more than likely.

Kingly
14-03-2014, 16:36
Flyers would definitely be a problem for the all-knight army unless some countermeasures were taken in the allies or if you did something like get the dataslate for the Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing and put that with the knights. A list with that though might be worth giving fair warning to your opponents about.

Their new Dex let's the Lord have Interceptor & Skyfire I think…
…With the Heavy stubbier I guess, lol. Yea they'll struggle...