PDA

View Full Version : Damocles

Dean5150
14-03-2014, 20:12
189207 Too much!! I am going to struggle to keep up with all these releases. 45 quite steep. Did enjoy the White Scars/Tau story previously.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MiyamatoMusashi
14-03-2014, 20:18
Ouch, that price.

Might get the novellas, certainly not the "bargain" 45 package though. Going to give the audiobook a miss, because his previous work (Patient Hunter) was one of the worst stories BL have ever published IMO.

DarkChaplain
15-03-2014, 05:27
They're really blowing it out of the water with these premium-priced products this month.... Arjac, Imperial Knights novella, Knights Companion, Damocles, Renegades of the Dark Millenium, Visions of Heresy.....
They really need to learn how to paste their products better, flooding the fanbase with so many high-priced books may go down well for a month, but if they keep this up, people will jump ship.

Either way, I loved the Shape of the Hunt extract. Not going to pick up the hardback anthology, though. Seeing Pandorax being introduced to the Space Marine Battles series with a paperback re-release towards the end of the year makes me feel like waiting for the cheaper print copy is the best choice.

jackdoud
15-03-2014, 14:55
. Seeing Pandorax being introduced to the Space Marine Battles series with a paperback re-release towards the end of the year makes me feel like waiting for the cheaper print copy is the best choice.

Ok, this annoys the hell out of me. They've completely eliminated the "coming soon" section of their website and I ordered Pandorax believing it to be a direct only publication. Now I find out they're releasing it in stores next year? They really need to get better at stating what things are and how they're being released. The Imperial Knights book, when first announced in their email blast, looking like it was an ebook only. Some of the hardbacks are limited editions while others are just direct only or only available as a hardback directly. I'm one of the crazies that tries to read everything that's physically printed but if I can't figure out what's being released when, what I have to jump on and what I can wait for I'm eventually going to say screw it and not bother ordering direct at all. As it is it takes a month for orders to get to me and more often then not it shows up as loose books tossed in a box with a couple airbags as "padding" so they've slid across each other, bashed their corners and scratched their covers.

DarkChaplain
16-03-2014, 11:31
Pandorax should get released towards the end of the year, up until January.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/810mtwGS7qL._SL1500_.jpg

Dean5150
16-03-2014, 18:24
Now that is a cover!

DarkWarrior1981
17-03-2014, 11:50
The thing is, 'BL exclusive' is just a moniker for 'will be released within 12 months time' nowadays. Pandorax is quite cool, glad I didn't buy the hardback. Is there a date given?

shadowhawk2008
17-03-2014, 12:44
The thing is, 'BL exclusive' is just a moniker for 'will be released within 12 months time' nowadays. Pandorax is quite cool, glad I didn't buy the hardback. Is there a date given?

Million dollar question right there.

DarkChaplain
18-03-2014, 11:21

December/January according to Amazon.

DarkWarrior1981
18-03-2014, 18:49
Thanks! So indeed about a year after the initial release.

Dean5150
22-03-2014, 17:22
More detail about the book

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Damocles%20A5%20Thumb.jpg

Contains the following

Blood Oath by Phil Kelly
Broken Sword by Guy Haley
Black Leviathan by Ben Counter
Hunter’s Snare by Josh Reynolds

Damocles is released on Saturday March 22nd. All pre-order copies will commence shipping in the week commencing March 17th 2014.

Nubl0
23-03-2014, 00:31
That cover is sexy, but looks like shadowsun is in some serious trouble. Would GW ever kill off a character? wouldn't be too bad I guess, means farsight can come back in a depose the ethereal scum and let the tau realize their true potential!

Soul Hunter
23-03-2014, 12:40
Finished the book on Friday afternoon and finished my review just now.

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/03/black-library-review-apocalypse.html

In short. This is a book for Tau fans, those who are not shouldn't read this unless they want to try and become Tau fans.

That cover is sexy, but looks like shadowsun is in some serious trouble. Would GW ever kill off a character? wouldn't be too bad I guess, means farsight can come back in a depose the ethereal scum and let the tau realize their true potential!
If you want the answer to that it's in these spoiler tags;

No. Shadowsun survives the novel. She nearly does kill Kor'sarro Khan but another White Scar sacrifices himself to save his Captain. After some plot twists Shadowsun is permitted to leave and given a day's leniency.

The only unexpected death in the book was Moondrakken, the Khan's Bike. Odd choice to kill it really. Had no impact on the story or anything else.

In response to that Ethereal comment you do actually get to see Aun'Va in the first novella. Unsurprisingly he's a real prick with no sense of humour.

SH

Dean5150
23-03-2014, 16:38
Have any of these been released before? I remember reading a short story ref Damocles in the past?

shadowhawk2008
23-03-2014, 17:15
These are all brand-new.

The Emperor
23-03-2014, 18:24
Finished the book on Friday afternoon and finished my review just now.

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/03/black-library-review-apocalypse.html

In short. This is a book for Tau fans, those who are not shouldn't read this unless they want to try and become Tau fans.

I wish I'd known that beforehand. Can't believe they had a book which features Kor'sarro Khan, Shrike, the Raven Guard Chapter Master, Colonel Straken, Tybalt, and it's all about making the Tau look good. It was pretty much "Hey guys, look how awesome Shadowsun is. She's so awesome that she's better than three Imperial special characters and two high-ranking fluff characters." I'm surprised they didn't have Shadowsun fly into the Golden Throne and cold cock the Emperor while she was at it. :mad:

Soul Hunter
24-03-2014, 16:32
I wish I'd known that beforehand. Can't believe they had a book which features Kor'sarro Khan, Shrike, the Raven Guard Chapter Master, Colonel Straken, Tybalt, and it's all about making the Tau look good. It was pretty much "Hey guys, look how awesome Shadowsun is. She's so awesome that she's better than three Imperial special characters and two high-ranking fluff characters." I'm surprised they didn't have Shadowsun fly into the Golden Throne and cold cock the Emperor while she was at it. :mad:
Pretty much. Blood Oath does, among the Shadowsun hype, show her weakness but you have to read carefully to pick up on it. She criticizes O'Shovah for being unwilling to look beyond Mont'ka and because he thinks it is the solution to everything. But she is exactly the same with Kauyon. Her weakness is that she is too clever for her own good and often tries to use a complicated plan when a simple one will do, solely because she wants to show how good Kauyon is. Aun'Va criticizes her for it in the novella.

SH

MajorWesJanson
24-03-2014, 19:15

People are always asking for a Xenos viewpoint novel on par with the Imperial books, so when BL does one that treats Tau like they would Space Wolves or Night Lords, people complain? I may have to get this in hardback now, just because of that.

MiyamatoMusashi
26-03-2014, 21:00
Just finished the first novella (Phil Kelly's Blood Oath) and it was pisspoor, I can't believe it was accepted for printing even given BL's whimsical tolerance for guff. It was just awful.

Incidentally I'd strongly refute the suggestion (based on that first story at least) that this book is just a fawning Shadowsun homage. In fact, I'd say this novella was meticulously even-handed in portraying every single named character absolutely evenly, without so much as a hint of favour or preferential treatment. It's true: they're all made out to be dribbling cretinous slack-jawed mouth-breathing imbeciles.

I'll be trying to forget I read that nonsense as soon as I can manage to scrub it from my brain. I hope the other three stories are better, because that was toss.

Perrin
27-03-2014, 04:52
Just finished the first novella (Phil Kelly's Blood Oath) and it was pisspoor, I can't believe it was accepted for printing even given BL's whimsical tolerance for guff. It was just awful.

Incidentally I'd strongly refute the suggestion (based on that first story at least) that this book is just a fawning Shadowsun homage. In fact, I'd say this novella was meticulously even-handed in portraying every single named character absolutely evenly, without so much as a hint of favour or preferential treatment. It's true: they're all made out to be dribbling cretinous slack-jawed mouth-breathing imbeciles.

I'll be trying to forget I read that nonsense as soon as I can manage to scrub it from my brain. I hope the other three stories are better, because that was toss.

Don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think about it ;) :D

Is the Raven Guard Chapter Master named? I guess just finding out he exists is some kind of development...

MiyamatoMusashi
27-03-2014, 10:39
Don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think about it ;) :D

Is the Raven Guard Chapter Master named? I guess just finding out he exists is some kind of development...

Yes, in the second story (not the first IIRC), though I don't remember it exactly off the top of my head (Corvid Severax or something? Don't quote me on that).

The good news is the second story (by Guy Haley) was much better than the first. Started off a bit iffy, if I'm honest, but got better... and better... and better... and when I thought it was hitting the climax, it just kept going up. Really good story, really nice insight into the character of the various protagonists (who'da thought character development would be interesting, eh Phil Kelly!?), some hints and allusions at the more mysterious corners of the Tau Empire without ever attempting to declare "THIS IS THE MYSTERY SOLVED!" which would be rather dull. Yeah... fair to say that after a slow start, I liked it.

It wasn't entirely flawless, for example there were some fairly basic mistakes relating to pre-established Tau words/phrases; but whenever I find myself about to use that as a criticism, I remember Professor Frink complaining about Scratchy's ribs making different notes when played as a xylophone, and I pre-emptively withdraw my complaint. None of that really makes a difference to the story (though come on BL, how hard would it have been to have an editor spend half an hour checking up on that?) and the story was solid, building up to excellent.

[edit] Story three (by Ben Counter), and it's back to everyone being retarded again. The quality bar was not set high on this one.

[edit-edit] Story four, all stupid all the time. Everyone is stupid. In three of the four stories in this book, every single character is stupid. Ugh. This was painful to read.

Dean5150
31-03-2014, 09:28
Listening to The Shape of the Hunt and unimpressed. The story is boring me and the bike sound is not one of a monster of a bike at all, shame.

MiyamatoMusashi
31-03-2014, 11:29
I've not listened to "The Shape of the Hunt"... and I won't be, because I read "In Service to Shadows" (yet another Damocles-themed story, contained in the digital complete collection though not the printed book) by the same author, Joe Parrino, and it was shockingly poor (much like "The Patient Hunter", his first BL story, which I detested). The writing was dreadful; here are some specific examples, but understand that these are just the "highlights", every page was littered with stuff like this:

- In one paragraph, the sergeant declares that "Victory or Death" is at the heart of his (and his chapter's) very being, and he will attempt a challenge or die in the attempt. In the next paragraph, he realises that if he attempts it he'll die, so he doesn't attempt it. Bu...?

- On one page, we are told that the Raven Guard have no war cry because they fight in silence. On the next page, the Raven Guard squad yell their war cry. Wha...?

- At one point, one of the Raven Guard is ordered to hold the enemy "as long as [he] can". He replies that he will hold them "longer than that!" Uh...?

- The final boss fight against the big bad is won by the hero lying down and then standing up again. His sidekick also lies down, but we are never told if he stands up again, or is dead, or survives the battle, or has his geneseed recovered, or... anything. He just never gets mentioned again, as though the author forgot about him. Er....?

I wouldn't usually use this phrase because it's normally just used as a lazy and cheap trope in place of actual critique, but the only thing that sprang to mind while reading this godawful waste of pixels (at least they didn't print it - no need for trees to die for the sake of this nonsense) was "herp-derp". I am astonished that BL felt this worthy of publishing.

I won't bother listening to "The Shape of the Hunt".

The bearded one
01-04-2014, 03:47
I finished reading the first story in the book, blood oath by phil kelly, and I quite enjoyed it. In particular I bought this book because I want to read about Tau, so that's the angle I have pertaining to who the 'good guys' are. The action was fairly decent, but I was primarily interested by the portrayals of th Tau characters.

Aun'va is shown in a manner quite unlike how I had imagined him to be (wise mentor person); he's a bit of a dick, really. Overly demanding, condescending prick. But I actually liked this portrayal. You kinda hate him, while shadowsun is making such efforts to try and gain his appreciation. It's constantly comments like..
Shadowsun: "we shall make a legend here, master!"
- Aun'va: "Yes, I shall"

Shadowsun: "A wise decision, master"
- Aun'va: "Of course it is"

And many more.

Hence it amused me greatly to read the following exchange at the end of the book, when Shadowsun is awakened from her medical stasis;
"O'shassera," boomed the supreme ethereal, "the time for sleep is past"
"Oh," She slurred "It's you."
An awkward silence blossomed. The earth caste attendants turned quickly away.
"Given your condition, I shall forgive that lapse of protocol," said Aun'va. "You may seek atonement for your slip at a future date"
"Whatever you say," croaked Shadowsun.

Now, Shadowsun: I appreciate what Kelly did with the character in this novella. Had it been a fulllength novel, a whole lot more could and should have been done, but you can't push too much into a little over 100 pages without crowding it too much.
First of all, I like Kelly's portrayal a whole lot more than the one in the 'last of Kiru's line' shadowsun novella that came out somewhere last year with the new codex. There the attitude of her character seemed to change every few pages, going back and forth from cold to agressive, and calculating to rash, and more. Kelly is more consistent. More importantly - while the temptation is often irresistible for (scifi) writers - Kelly didn't overly sexualise her in the story. In the other novella, one of the main themes was whether she wanted to have children, and one of the first things she did was strip down her bodyglove to dive into a lake to retrieve her battlesuit. Because women need to strip down at some point during a scifi story. No such sexualising in 'blood oath'. In fact, at the one oppertunity Kelly had to have her take off her clothes, she specifically can't be bothered to take off her armoured bodyglove and gors straight to her bed instead. A good thing she didn't too, because Aun'va entered a few second later and apparently he's such a prick he doesn't knock before entering.

Instead it explored her approach to warfare and her hubris, pointing out the flaws of Farsight's use of Mont'Ka and the imperials' ways of war, without criticising her own preference of Kau'yon. It also points to the unresolved hate she has for Farsight. When she feels compelled to use Mont'ka for a decisive victory against the imperial forces that escaped the planet (another gem; In a conversation Aun'va has with Shadowsun, it is shown it was his idea to allow them to escape, as it would look better for propaganda, and one paragraph later he sort of dumps the shame for letting them escape with shadowsun) it turns into a right old mess, where she falls into a trap herself.

Shadowsun's character was relatively unexplored so far, except for this story and the 'kiru's line' novella. All we really knew she's a figurehead and constantly wins every battle. She doesn't change much over the course of this new story, but that's not really what I'd expect from a short novella about a special character anyway. Rather I see it as a bit of a steppingstone, to anchor what the character is like, on which can be expanded in the future.

Last but not least, the stealthteam shas'vre in the book reminds me why I like stealth shas'vres. Who else would yell "surprise!" when destealthing, before pumping a volley of burstcannon fire into their foe?