PDA

View Full Version : Best colour scheme for an imperial knight????

colrud
15-03-2014, 19:42
hi just looking to get different ideas of colour schemes for an imperial knight which will be allying with my dark angels, seen anything uniquely different that grabbed your attention?

Shiodome
15-03-2014, 20:32
the best colour scheme is blue.

TheBearminator
15-03-2014, 20:50
One of things I like with the Knights is that they're a good excuse for adding new colors to your army. I play Death korps in brown greatcoats, along with vostroyan inspired vehicles. If and when I add some kind of Knight model (probably a leviathan crusader) I think I'll airbrush it yellow with white skulls on the shoulder pads.

I think the Knights should look great in bright colors. Which appeals to me since I have a long tradition of painting most things in greens or browns. That said, most Knights I've seen so far has been bright colored ones. Would be cool to see one that breaks the trend. Olive brown perhaps.

Do you have access to an airbrush? Something I haven't seen so far is a really weathered Knight. Would be easy to achieve with some hairspray and a tooth pick.

Beppo1234
15-03-2014, 22:40
purple and yellow quarter panel! It'd look awesome... but doesn't really go with DAs.

I'm on the same hunt actually. Looking for a Knight colour scheme, that goes with DAs, but has not green or white as a primary colour (it should be unique, but complementary)

LegioDestructor
16-03-2014, 01:00
For Dark Angels, I'd say use their other primary colour - black. That, with bone as a secondary and dark green as an accent colour and a tie-in to the DA. Maybe a dull silver trim. Their Company markings are already heraldic in nature and you can draw inspiration from them: link (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Angels#Companies). Personally a mix of 4th company checkers and 7th company chevrons would fit the bill nicely.

Beppo1234
16-03-2014, 15:47
For Dark Angels, I'd say use their other primary colour - black. That, with bone as a secondary and dark green as an accent colour and a tie-in to the DA. Maybe a dull silver trim. Their Company markings are already heraldic in nature and you can draw inspiration from them: link (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Angels#Companies). Personally a mix of 4th company checkers and 7th company chevrons would fit the bill nicely.

I'm gonna disagree with this. I feel a Knight should not share the colour scheme of the army it is supporting, but rather complement it. So for me, bone, green and black are out as primary colours for a knight.

The Emperor
16-03-2014, 15:55
I'm gonna disagree with this. I feel a Knight should not share the colour scheme of the army it is supporting, but rather complement it. So for me, bone, green and black are out as primary colours for a knight.

Fortunately for me, I can get away with this sort of thing as I'm playing Ultramarines and the nearest Knight households colors are blue and gold. :p

Pssyche
16-03-2014, 16:30
A big yellow streak down its back.
So it can match its owner's...

Ha ha ha ha ha...

LegioDestructor
16-03-2014, 16:34
It all depends on personal preference. I see your point Beppo, and agree with you to a point. But if you wanted to portray your Knight as one who has cast off former alliances and pledged himself to a given army/commander, I can see the colours being shared. Or in The Emperor's case, the fluff gods are smiling and it just happens that your Knight has a similar colour scheme to your army.

If you want contrast with Dark Angels, it doesn't get any more complementary than the Houses Raven, Krast, or Taranis. The Amaranthine (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140316093311/warhammer40k/images/5/5c/Amaranthine_Freeblade.jpg)'s scheme could work too.

colrud
16-03-2014, 17:18
says the guy with the picture of a wraithknight as his profile pic

colrud
16-03-2014, 17:27
189315189316decided to go for one of these, what dya think looks best?

Gorthaur
16-03-2014, 18:04
I like the one on the right, yellow and black are 2 big contrasting colors that looks good together which make the model look a lot less boring than the green one. The Knight has a lot of large open space on the armor so don't forget to use transfers to make the model pop.

draccan
16-03-2014, 19:16
1. First of all, look to the Knight codex and companion for inspiration.
2. Go with contrast to the Dark Angels, not the same colours but something different
3. Decide if you want your own knight house or an existing one
4. Decide if this is a mechanicum, regular knight house or a freeblade knight
5. If you have a gaming table, choose a colour that is not looking the same (if you have a green table, don't do a green knight). Contrasts look better.
6. Look at the transfer sheet and see if something has your fancy.

That's what I will do anyways...

Oh ... in your case I think yellow would compliment DA really well and is a great contrast to most gaming tables (except deserts)...

Have fun!

leopard
17-03-2014, 01:07
thinking the "stormlords" traitor titan colours for mine. Mostly as I had titans for epic in these colours years back and think it looks good.

Black chassis with metalic highlighting, silver on the main frame and a light gold alloy colour on arms and leg main structure. shoulders and carapace in two tone blue and a grey crazy paving style and the armour plates quatered a purple panle and a black/white checker panel

IcedCrow
17-03-2014, 03:15
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/17/hyhe5ehy.jpg

This is the one i just finished

DoctorTom
18-03-2014, 21:01
Incorporate the yellow and black as a "caution tape" type pattern on parts of the knight, while making the rest International Distress Orange.

Slayer-Fan123
18-03-2014, 21:50
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/17/hyhe5ehy.jpg

This is the one i just finished
I like the stomping of the daemon :D