PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Coolest Orc and Goblin Magic item from previous editions

Warboss_R'ok
15-03-2014, 23:37
If you had the option to resurrect just one Orc and Goblin magic item from the previous editions of Warhammer, which one would it be?
There is a poll above (you can't have more than 10 poll options so I chose 9 of my favorites and the 10th option is "other"), and in case you don't know what the items do, here is a summary:

- Backstabber's Blade (from 7th ed): Goblins only, poison attacks and a small strength bonus for fighting in an enemy's flank or rear. ~12 skavenslaves in cost.

- Martog's Best Basha (from 7th ed): +1S, +1WS and +1 I. ~7 skavenslaves

- Amulet of Protectyness (from 7th ed): Use your opponent's ward and armour save . ~12 skavenslaves

- Tricksy Trinket (from 7th ed): Goblins only. No ward saves allowed in base contact with the bearer. ~12 skavenslaves

- Kleeva's Cleaver (From 6th ed): Auto-wounds. ~37 skavenslaves in cost.

- Hacka's sword of Hackin' (From 6th ed): 2+ to hit. ~22 skavenslaves

- Kurbog's Curmudgeonly Clobbera (From 6th ed): If an enemy takes a wound, they cannot attack again in that combat. ~20 skavenslaves

- Bad Moon Banner (From 5th ed): ASF for night goblins in the unit, and the unit is -1 to hit with shooting. ~17 skavenslaves

- Collar of Zorgra (From 5th ed): You get to take control of an enemy monster! Only for 1 turn though, only if it is in base-to-base, and you have to pass a leadership test in order to do so. ~ 25 skavenslaves in cost.

SpanielBear
15-03-2014, 23:59
Club o' Crumpin'.

sephiroth87
16-03-2014, 00:21
The Brimstone Bauble. For a super low price you made a goblin into a suicide bomber. I even converted one from the goblin holding the bomb from Blood Bowl.

Warboss_R'ok
16-03-2014, 00:29
The Brimstone Bauble. For a super low price you made a goblin into a suicide bomber. I even converted one from the goblin holding the bomb from Blood Bowl.

Yeah, the bauble is pretty cool. I should have included it actually.

Shimmergloom
16-03-2014, 02:11
It's no contest, that it is sizzla's shiney baubles from 6th edition.

You choose not to dispel and instead once per magic phase on a 4+ the spell cast at the bearer or unit he is with, rebounds back against the caster and/or his unit. Worked even on IF spells.

Imagine that in 8th. Oh you want to cast dwellers at me? Rebound.

2nd place is 7th edition's mork's banner. +3 dispel dice would be incredible nowadays.

Moss
16-03-2014, 02:59
What's that item from 5th edition that automatically killed wizards in contact with the unit? That item gets my vote.

Guaranteed hilarity.

Urgat
16-03-2014, 08:55
I don't know if it's the coolest, but the only autoinclude one for my goblins was the staff of sneaky stealing.

Dark Aly
16-03-2014, 11:57
madd's map was fun but not much use but I love(d) the amulet of protectyness. It's a shame all the cheap but useful/fun items disappeared because now all heros (who can't take the expensive stuff) get the same equipment (enchanted shield, charmed shield etc.) there's little variety.

EDIT- effigy of gork was good too -1 to hit because of the stink :) and the bad moon banner was evil in 4th/5th because night gobbos could take two-handed weapons then.

Karak Norn Clansman
16-03-2014, 12:00
Porko's Pigsticka.

GreaseMonkey
16-03-2014, 15:18
It's no contest, that it is sizzla's shiney baubles from 6th edition.

You choose not to dispel and instead once per magic phase on a 4+ the spell cast at the bearer or unit he is with, rebounds back against the caster and/or his unit. Worked even on IF spells.

Imagine that in 8th. Oh you want to cast dwellers at me? Rebound.

2nd place is 7th edition's mork's banner. +3 dispel dice would be incredible nowadays.

Both of those should come back, these would be amazing. Personnaly, I think that the current shiny stuff is terrible, exception of lucky shrunken head. I'd like to see GW come back to more fluffy army specific magic items instead of super generic common magic items for everybody.

Scammel
16-03-2014, 16:10
Those boots with the name I forget. Something-something's Big 'Ead Kicking Boots?

decker_cky
16-03-2014, 16:26
Double doin' doo dahs from 6th edition were pretty great.

Eadbuttin At was pretty great too.

Can't forget Wollopa's one hit wunda.

BigbyWolf
16-03-2014, 17:13
Morks War Banner from 4th edition. Any wizard that touched it died, instantly. And that was in the days when wizards were good in combat, so you were likely to find them in the front rank of a unit.

Lord Shadowheart
16-03-2014, 17:34
Not really the coolest, but one of the funniest: Owzat's Club of smackin, used for knocking characters out of units :D

moonlapse
16-03-2014, 17:48
Woah, some of these are insanely powerful - is there anywhere where the magic items from previous editions are collated and recorded? For all armies? I would have thought someone would have made a note, and that would be a heck of a read.

Leogun_91
17-03-2014, 00:34
I miss Bigged's Kickin' Boots and Warboss Imbad's Iron Gnashas. Simple items but it was nice having non-weapon choices that improved bashyness. I always used the staff of sneaky stealin when I could but that was because it was too good to pass up and the greenskins had it rough back then. My favorite item has however always been the Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh! and it is simply more fun in this edition so that's good.

Geep
17-03-2014, 00:44
I often used Martog's Best Basha and Bigged's Kickin' Boots- cheap items, but the bonuses were very nice. Much better than blowing all of your points on complete overkill weapons.

enyoss
17-03-2014, 00:53
and the bad moon banner was evil in 4th/5th because night gobbos could take two-handed weapons then.

Even worse: Night Goblin BSB with Bad Moon Banner, in a unit of Frenzied Savage Orc Big 'uns with great weapons, with a smattering of dirt cheap SO Big Bosses in the front ranks just in case the regular boyz couldn't get the job done (each Big Boss gets 6 attacks at S6). That's 20/30 odd ASF attacks at S6, and if anything survived the only hope was to swing desperately at that soft Night Goblin BSB in the vain attempt to kill him.

Utter, utter filth.

Ramius4
17-03-2014, 02:11
Hands down the 'coolest' (you did not say 'best') was Owzat's Club of Smackin. If you wounded a character, you would knock him clear OUT OF HIS UNIT, and directly away from you. Fantastic fun!

Oogie boogie boss
17-03-2014, 11:29
Porko's Pigstikka. Great fun with an Orc warboss on a chariot. slam him into a deep unit and let the good times roll.

hardyworld
17-03-2014, 14:54
Wollopa's One Hit Wunda was always a personal favorite. Not always effective, but neither are O&G.

Fle
18-03-2014, 18:50
Wollopa's One Hit Wunda was always a personal favorite. Not always effective, but neither are O&G.

Yep, this was my favourite as well.

KevinC
19-03-2014, 22:31
I voted "other" for Mork's War Banner, 4th Edition!

Back then, the banner provided the unit with a 4+ dispel roll and any Wizard that came into base contact with the unit carrying the banner was overloaded with Waaagh! energy and instantly killed!!! I always imagined their head exploding!

Here are some good old funny stories that actually happened in games:

- I gave the banner to Niblet, Grom the Paunch'e banner bearer, on Grom's chariot during a massive map campaign. Grom was my overall general in the campaign and I knew I'd have to protect him well. When battling a huge Chaos army, a Lord of Change charged Grom's chariot and instantly exploded! In another game Grom charged a unit of Pink Horrors. They all exploded and turned into a unit of Blue Horrors (back then when a Pink Horror died, it was replaced by two Blue Horrors (who were not magic users)! So all the Pink Horrors instantly died and created a huge unit of Blue Horrors! Lol

- During a huge team-multiplayer game (Goblins/Undead/Chaos vs Empire/High Elves), an Imperial Grey Wizard caste a movement spell (bridge of shadows?) on Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead and teleported him into base contact with a unit of Goblins carrying the banner (yes, this was legal!!), Nagash exploded. Although a great blow to the evil side, we laughed about this all game long! Lol

Fun Stuff!

Rawdogg15
19-03-2014, 23:39
From your list I'd say the collar of Zorga is the coolest if not the most viable. Personally, my favourite OnG item is a current one - the battleaxe of the last waaagh. Because of its points value, it's not great because it means you can't combo it with anything defensive. I love the look on opponents faces when you tell them what it does though! +D6 S and A, equivalent D3 minus from WS. I've caused some damage with it but it does result in a vulnerable and squishy Orc war boss unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warboss_R'ok
20-03-2014, 00:15
I play vs elves and skaven a lot and so I struggle to find good targets for a warboss with the battleaxe of the last Waaagh. I suppose the frostheart phoenix would make a good-ish target, but the unreliability of rolling low and the high points cost makes this a tough choice.

Also the hellpit is a tempting target, but vs that you need flaming attacks which drives you towards a mundane weapon.

Basically, anything that is toughness 4 or lower is not a good target, you would be better off paying 60 points for +3 attacks with no weapon skill penalty and having points left over for other cool items like potions of strength/foolhardiness/toughness, the other trickster's shard, etc.

Leogun_91
20-03-2014, 10:14
From your list I'd say the collar of Zorga is the coolest if not the most viable. Personally, my favourite OnG item is a current one - the battleaxe of the last waaagh. Because of its points value, it's not great because it means you can't combo it with anything defensive. I love the look on opponents faces when you tell them what it does though! +D6 S and A, equivalent D3 minus from WS. I've caused some damage with it but it does result in a vulnerable and squishy Orc war boss unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkPlace that boss next to a banner of Gork, revealing the axe is a lot more fun when you add "Oh and also you don't have any magic items" and stopping enemy magic weapons is at least some protection, it is also one of few combos able to deal with the unkillable chaos lord.

Vipoid
20-03-2014, 11:20
I voted "other" for Mork's War Banner, 4th Edition!

Back then, the banner provided the unit with a 4+ dispel roll and any Wizard that came into base contact with the unit carrying the banner was overloaded with Waaagh! energy and instantly killed!!! I always imagined their head exploding!

Here are some good old funny stories that actually happened in games:

- I gave the banner to Niblet, Grom the Paunch'e banner bearer, on Grom's chariot during a massive map campaign. Grom was my overall general in the campaign and I knew I'd have to protect him well. When battling a huge Chaos army, a Lord of Change charged Grom's chariot and instantly exploded! In another game Grom charged a unit of Pink Horrors. They all exploded and turned into a unit of Blue Horrors (back then when a Pink Horror died, it was replaced by two Blue Horrors (who were not magic users)! So all the Pink Horrors instantly died and created a huge unit of Blue Horrors! Lol

- During a huge team-multiplayer game (Goblins/Undead/Chaos vs Empire/High Elves), an Imperial Grey Wizard caste a movement spell (bridge of shadows?) on Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead and teleported him into base contact with a unit of Goblins carrying the banner (yes, this was legal!!), Nagash exploded. Although a great blow to the evil side, we laughed about this all game long! Lol

Fun Stuff!

I'll be honest - that sounds like the exact opposite of 'fun'.

SpanielBear
20-03-2014, 13:32
I'll be honest - that sounds like the exact opposite of 'fun'.

I dunno, the Grey Wizard trick seems entirely in keeping with a lore dedicated to sneaky tricks.

Vipoid
20-03-2014, 13:58
I dunno, the Grey Wizard trick seems entirely in keeping with a lore dedicated to sneaky tricks.

It was referring more to a banner that insta-kills wizards.

The grey wizard trick was pretty clever.

SpanielBear
20-03-2014, 14:05
It was referring more to a banner that insta-kills wizards.

Yeah, the banner is definitely a relic of older editions.

Princey
20-03-2014, 14:12
Id have to go for Ditto`s double doin doodahs...great name, great item

Phazael
20-03-2014, 19:51
One hit Wonda and Backstabber were my two favorites. The terror I caused with those things on solo gob heroes was very satisfying.

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-03-2014, 20:48
Morks Warbanner even had an errata for it Iin WD, changing it from instant kill to getting killed on 4+.

It was pretty broken. Put it on some sort of flying mount, fly high turn 1, instant kill any mage you want turn 2 unless your enemy physically blocked you from charging them. And if it was an Undead army watch the army pretty much instantly crumble to dust as well.

quietus1986
21-03-2014, 06:58
Backstabber's Blade love that one being a bit of a tactical one. And it realy fits with the goblins

Makaber
21-03-2014, 14:09
My vote goes for Ditto's Double-Doing Doodahs. For reference, it allowed you to cast a spell twice in your magic phases. Great stuff, miss it dearly.

Alltaken
21-03-2014, 19:40
I dont play O&G so I really dont know. But man I wish my items had such cool names! O&G fluff is hilarious

From my servoskull

Andy p
21-03-2014, 22:54
Can't forget Wollopa's one hit wunda.

Yeah this was my vote.

Rawdogg15
21-03-2014, 23:02
Off topic... Sort of... But, in my last two games, my battleaxe of the last waaagh killed a tomb king, a dozen skeleton warriors, about six brettonian knights and a paladin. Definitely going to try it with the current incarnation of Mork's War Banner to cancel out the enemy magic weapons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Urgat
22-03-2014, 09:45

Nothing really clever about it... I mean, you gotta keep things in context.
First of all, the guy brought Nagash; the banner compared to Nagash was laughable. Nagash could pretty much instakill anything he wanted too. Heck, even comparable characters if he could cast hand of dust (and, well, he could, being a lvl 5 wizard with special rules up the bazoo). Not gonna feel sympathetic because the guy lost his one-man-army, let's be serious :p
Then teleporting stuff on night goblins (generally on first turn) was a basic trick back then, as they would release the (more deadly) fanatics in random directions (remember, on first turn....), and there was nothing the OnG player could do about it. There's a reason this rule was removed, it was abused left and right in every game. I saw games end on turn one because a guy teleported something near the night gobs, and the ensuing panic tests wold make half the army run off the table. It's clever when it's new, not when everybody does it.
So you combine that trick with Nagash, and you frown at the one item in the OnG list that could probably deal with it? You're not being very fair there :p
The guy was probably sick of it happening every game and he thought up that trick. Like when I was sick of my friend's blender chaos lord and used a white emperor dragon to pin half his "army" (one general on one dragon) in one place all game long till he agreed to tone him down.
Sounds like you didn't play 5th ed. Trust me, back then, you'd kill Nagash, or a blood thirster, or anything like that, whatever the way you did it, however dirty it was, yeah, you'd feel damn proud and you'd gloat about it for days :p

edit: iirc, though, the horrors thing was wrong, the banner worked only on base contact I think, so only three pink horrors would die at most.

Vipoid
22-03-2014, 11:22
So you combine that trick with Nagash, and you frown at the one item in the OnG list that could probably deal with it? You're not being very fair there :p

Bear in mind I started in 8th, so I have no idea what Nagash did (there isn't even a modern version for comparison).

The only information I had was of an apparently 'fun' banner that removes any wizards from the game with no saves.

Urgat
22-03-2014, 11:52
Yes, I understand that, that's why I'm explaining why the banner really wasn't so bad. I'll also add that you shouldn't feel sorry for regular wizards either, they had profiles that match current combat characters. I understand perfectly why you'd feel such a banner is horrible, but, honestly, back then, it was fair game, really. I don't remember Nagash's stats, but he was probably 7 or 8 across its profile, he was a lvl 5 wizard (only two or three lvl 5 in the game I think), iirc cast all spells on IF, got back any wound lost for any wound he caused, and I guess he ignored all saves and so on. Of course he could terror bomb (prior to 8th ed, failing a terror test meant autobreak, and terror worked on a radius of 8" iirc). You'd drop him in a 8th ed game, he'd walk all over any army by himself. Iirc, he was also quite cheap (for what he did), 750pts or something. I also seem to remember he was all but impervious to cannons and stuff. Back then, there were characters you had no way to deal with besides fielding another such character (Amon Shakai, Kroak or the BT), or dirty tricks such as that banner. So yup, when you do manage to get him that way, you probably find it very fun ;) No doubt the Undead player's plan was something among the lines of "I take Nagash, field the rest of the list to make it legal, and let the clown deal with everything while the rest of the undead cheer from the back". Having been on the receiving end of such "tactics" a fair number of times, yep, I root for the guy who managed to trick the damned SC into it :) As an OnG player, I see only two ways of dealing with Nagash, a (combination of) very nasty magic item(s), or the aforementionned white dragon. Nothing else in the list could hold a candle to him.