PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit Moves - Pivoting through friendly models and pursuing into a new enemy

iamjack42
17-03-2014, 14:53
In a recent game a unit of Swordmasters (2x7) beat and broke a unit in their flank. The Swordmasters elected to pursue. Since the enemy unit fled directly from the center, the Swordmasters needed to pivot about their center before moving. However, an Eagle directly behind the Swordmaster unit would have been under the Swordmaster footprint at the end of the pivot (before the pursuers moved after the fleeing unit). We decided that since a pursuer must stop once they are 1" away from a friendly unit that the Swordmaster unit would pivot until they were 1" away from the Eagle, and then stop. Was this correct?

Second, the pursuit roll was sufficient to reach a new enemy unit. However, since the attack was in the flank, a 90 degree wheel was insufficient to avoid intervening units and complete the charge (assuming the wheel was made from the Swordmasters' original position). Thus we ruled that the Swordmasters could not complete the charge, despite rolling a sufficient distance. Was this correct? Were we correct to begin the wheel from the Swordmaster unit's original position, rather than a pivoted position?

Thanks!

SimaoSegunda
17-03-2014, 16:04
Pursuing into a new enemy is treated exactly as a charge, so you can ignore the 1" rule.

iamjack42
17-03-2014, 17:48
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not understanding how this resolves the difficulty. Are you saying that you can move through friendly models when charging? And when pivoting to make a pursuit move (even when those friendly models were unengaged)?

Knifeparty
17-03-2014, 18:04
When pursuing, as long as the pursuit roll was high enough to catch the fleeing enemy unit they are cut down where they stand. It counts as cutting them down before they have a chance to run. If the roll is high enough to pursue into a new combat then you place them in combat with the enemy unit and count as a charge as long as there are no other intervening units in the way. In this case because you are pursuing a unit from the flank you just pivot on the spot and chase them down, like a swift reform. In this case, if the eagle was not directly in the way of pursuing into the next enemy unit then I would just ignore the eagle all together for the purposes of making the game smoother. If the eagle was directly in the path of the pursuing unit, then you stop an inch away from the eagle and the unit does not pursue any further. (note: that you still would catch the fleeing unit if you rolled high enough regardless of the eagle positioning.)

iamjack42
17-03-2014, 18:24
Here are some pictures about how the units would look before and after the pivot.

Can the Swordmasters make that pivot? What if they wanted to charge a unit which the enemy fled through, as pictured here:

The Eagle would be contacted by a pivot, and the Frostheart (FP) blocks a wheel + move into the enemy (Sk). What's the resolution?

FYI, although both the enemy in Pictures 1 and 3 are labeled Sk, they are different units.

FatTrucker
17-03-2014, 20:06
In all cases if a unit breaks from combat and its pursuers roll equal to or above their flee roll then the broken unit is destroyed, regardless of terrain or intervening units. They are classed as destroyed where they stand or broken utterly and scattered away across the battlefield.

A pursuing unit doesn't pivot or wheel as such, its not a charge. They can pursue backwards and sideways as well as forward. Its more like a reform.

If an intervening friendly unit lies between the pursuing unit and its destination they will stop 1" away.
If an enemy unit lies between the pursuing unit and their destination the pursuers count as charging.

So roll to pursue, reform to face direction of pursuit, move.

iamjack42
17-03-2014, 20:09
This isn't about catching the breaking unit. The question is about where the pursuing unit ends up.

Knifeparty
18-03-2014, 00:11
Forget pivoting and moving and all that. If there isn't anything in between the pursuing unit and a new combat that they are pursuing into, then they can make it into the fresh combat.

Kain187
18-03-2014, 02:44
I think you have two options. You ignore the contact and do a virtual pivot and move as normal or you wheel until you hit the eagle and then move in the direction of the flee. It is a very strange circumstance that an eagle is on the direct center of your unit and will probably never happen again. As for the other unit anytime a unit comes into a new unit it is treated as a charge and resolved normally. Your third diagram does not make sense because the yellow box should have fled directly to the right of the red box. In your diagram it is up and to the right.

iamjack42
18-03-2014, 10:39
I think you have two options. You ignore the contact and do a virtual pivot and move as normal or you wheel until you hit the eagle and then move in the direction of the flee. It is a very strange circumstance that an eagle is on the direct center of your unit and will probably never happen again. As for the other unit anytime a unit comes into a new unit it is treated as a charge and resolved normally. Your third diagram does not make sense because the yellow box should have fled directly to the right of the red box. In your diagram it is up and to the right.

Well, a wheel won't hit the Eagle, but would result in the Phoenix being in the way. So you're saying the initial pivot to line up with the fleeing unit ignores any other units, including unengaged friendly units? Do you happen to know where this is described in the rules?

The enemy in the third picture is not the unit that fled, as I note in the description. Rather, it is a different unit that would be contacted by the pursuit move, if that move is possible.

Kain187
19-03-2014, 01:27
Its not in the rules I was suggesting a way to resolve a strange circumstance. Rules written I think you would do the second option.