PDA

View Full Version : CSM models

Wesser
17-03-2014, 16:34
A while back I saw new Havocs/Marines/Chosen Rumoured for CSM

I now notice that Havocs appears to be finecast and basic Marines appears to have been re-packaged...was that it?

Scribe of Khorne
17-03-2014, 16:52
No, it is a so far unrealized rumour.

drbored
17-03-2014, 17:20
As they're moving away from Finecast as well, I wouldn't be surprised if we just have to wait a little longer.

Notice that they re-boxed a lot of things, but they didn't do that with the Havocs, Predator, Vindicator, Defiler, or any cult troops...

T10
18-03-2014, 00:29
GW moving away from finecast? What's your source?

Chem-Dog
18-03-2014, 01:12
GW moving away from finecast? What's your source?

It's been widely reported on the forums in general. The realisation of named character in plastic goes some way to support this as does the absence of resins in the more current releases (none in Dwarves, Tyranids, Dark Elves off the top of my head). Also resin has been Direct Only for a little while now suggesting small batches or cast-to-order.

Wesser. From what I can gather the current thinking is a significant release of CSM elements will hit stores in the summer. I vaguely remember something like that being said in either the Crimson Slaughter or Hellbrute threads in the rumour section, but I can't be sure.

Mit Gas
18-03-2014, 01:33
Don't hope for anything in the near future, the rumors were total ********. A typical case of "too good to be true".

Voss
18-03-2014, 08:38
Don't hope for anything in the near future, the rumors were total ********. A typical case of "too good to be true".
Nothing like too good to be true. Just more lies and nonsense from the never-ending font of both.
A random ...person... just looked at 'missing' plastic in the range and made up some garbage.

Kegslayer
18-03-2014, 11:39

That explains the helbrute and crimson slaughter rumour being right then huh. Lol sorry but some rumours are ******** but many are right and there have been more right than wrong recently. So I would expect to see chosen and havocs by summer at the earliest

Garven Dreis
18-03-2014, 12:09
That explains the helbrute and crimson slaughter rumour being right then huh. Lol sorry but some rumours are ******** but many are right and there have been more right than wrong recently. So I would expect to see chosen and havocs by summer at the earliest

As has been stated earlier, I definitely would seperate expectation from likely rumour. Just because I expect new Steel Legion mini's doesn't necessarily indicate we will ever get them.

Hengist
18-03-2014, 12:25
It's fair to assume from pattern over the last six months that the broad trend at Citadel is moving away (not without good reason) from Finecast resin and towards all-plastic. This would include redoing the Havocs and Obliterators/Mutilators, but I wouldn't take any bets on which resin kits will be replaced first.

Judging from the differences in style between the new Traitor Marine kits and the older ones, I think it's also reasonable speculation that the design studio's plans entail updating the remainder of the range (i.e. Marines, Havocs, Terminators) in the same 'baroque' fashion at some point, but that might easily not be for years yet. I'd likewise assume that the regular Marine Terminators will sooner-or-later be redone in the more fancy style of the Veteran Marines kit, but wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.

Obviously predicting from trends is hardly an exact science. A few years ago it was generally assumed that every army would be getting a multi-part plastic HQ in the vein of the Marine and Traitor Marine commanders; look how that turned out.

Beppo1234
18-03-2014, 14:15
It's fair to assume from pattern over the last six months that the broad trend at Citadel is moving away (not without good reason) from Finecast resin and towards all-plastic. This would include redoing the Havocs and Obliterators/Mutilators, but I wouldn't take any bets on which resin kits will be replaced first.

I'm not going to buy this 'moving away from' rumor, until we start seeing regular special character and HQ releases in another medium that represent our special characters... not the generics, which have been done for marines.

Mit Gas
18-03-2014, 17:12

Oh, I don't doubt that one day those minis will indeed come out - I just don't believe the rumors that people have seen them already and that their release is imminent to be true. I'd love to be wrong though as new infantry is what I was waiting for since the first new wave came out.

BTJ
18-03-2014, 17:46
I'm not going to buy this 'moving away from' rumor, until we start seeing regular special character and HQ releases in another medium that represent our special characters... not the generics, which have been done for marines.
Shadowblade, Belegar Ironfist and Grimm Burloksson for WFB are all special characters that were released in plastic in the last 6 months

Darnok
18-03-2014, 23:28

Have a look at the WHF releases over the last year, the Dwarfs were just the most prominent example with two special characters in plastic. The Dwarf release is especially interesting: not only were a lot of FC kits replaced by plastic, but one metal unit was not translated into FC. I also don't remember even a single FC release since SMs last year (except for the Hobbit line, which I could not possibly care less about).

Finecast is already a thing of the past.

dangerboyjim
19-03-2014, 01:53
If that's the case...

Does that mean existing models in metal/finecast, will move to plastic?

Or should we buy them before they are gone for good?

Scribe of Khorne
19-03-2014, 04:44
If that's the case...

Does that mean existing models in metal/finecast, will move to plastic?

Or should we buy them before they are gone for good?

Forge World is reportedly taking it over until the transition to full plastic.

The Emperor
19-03-2014, 04:46
I can't wait for the day when everything's plastic. I just wonder, though, what old models like Commander Dante, Chief Librarian Mephiston, Ragnar Blackmane, the Eldar Aspect Warriors, Harlequins, and so on will end up looking like once they've remade into plastic.

Darnok
19-03-2014, 11:29
I can't wait for the day when everything's plastic. I just wonder, though, what old models like Commander Dante, Chief Librarian Mephiston, Ragnar Blackmane, the Eldar Aspect Warriors, Harlequins, and so on will end up looking like once they've remade into plastic.

The characters either get their own plastic clampack, or get made into upgrade bits in future kits (as has happened a lot with WHF characters). The latter I could see for Dante and Blackmane, in elite unit kits for their respective chapters. For the rest? That's anybodys guess really. The only thing safe to assume is that people will moan about the changes and the prices. :D

drbored
19-03-2014, 13:39
The characters either get their own plastic clampack, or get made into upgrade bits in future kits (as has happened a lot with WHF characters). The latter I could see for Dante and Blackmane, in elite unit kits for their respective chapters. For the rest? That's anybodys guess really. The only thing safe to assume is that people will moan about the changes and the prices. :D

Too true.

Pretty much just a matter of time, and a matter of GW measuring demand for certain things. There's not a whole lot of demand for special characters when many decide to create their own custom loadout, so GW stands to get more sales out of kits that have a few more parts so you can make what you want, instead of shoehorning you into one static model.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more plastic. In order to compete with other threats in the market, reducing the number of different materials that they work with means not only streamlining work with the materials that they *do* have, but it also reduces the complexity of their releases, which means models could conceivably get to us faster when there's not a mix of plastic and finecast that all has to be coordinated into one release.

Ideally, that'd mean that prices wouldn't rise as quickly, at the very least :P