PDA

View Full Version : Death Korps of Krieg Query

Smooth Boy
17-03-2014, 18:28
Well with the Scions and new Guard about to hit I've become interested in maybe starting a Guard army again. I'm not really interested in doing another Cadia horde so I think I'll try and keep this army within an 'armoured grenadier's' theme. Chances are the Scions will be about 20 for five guys which means the DKoK grenadiers are now a cheaper option. So my question relates to the assault brigade rules in IA12, does anyone have any experience with it? How do you think it will compare with the storm trooper supplement coming out?

Thanks guys.

Edit: some confusion, I was thinking of starting DKoK assault brigade, my question really just relates to if the list is any good and unique enough to warrant the price? I'm thinking off using DKoK grenadiers to represent scions if the new Tempestus book is good, but obviously I wont be able to use the cool DKoK stuff like engineers etc.

Limenix
18-03-2014, 08:14
Hallo.I play Dkok.
I really don't understand the question :-/

Have played many games using my assault brigade.
Dkok are VERY different from IG.You simply can not compare the two.
Ours can not deepstrike or infiltrate or even take a cheap transport.(the autocannon chimera with trackguards is not cheap)
They are also very expensive points wise.

The new stormtroopers in the astra militarum codex will have absolutely nothing to do with Dkok Grenadiers.
If you want to buy the FW models and use them as stormtroopers thats OK but tactics wise its apples and oranges.

Borgomos
18-03-2014, 08:24
Dkok is not that different from IG. They are actually very comparable. Its an Imperial Guard Codex filled with expensive, limited options. In return you have more courageous troops with WS4. And better Rough Riders, plus some other gimmicks.

I don't think people would mind you using Grenadier models for counts-as purposes. The only problem with Grenadiers is that the Scion box comes with Plasma\Melta and other weapon options, while Grenadiers come with their standard rifles and the pansy grenade launcher\flamer combo.

We don't really know how the Tempestus side-codex will help the Death Korps list because we have no idea what it contains at the moment.

WLBjork
18-03-2014, 08:30
Hallo.I play Dkok.
I really don't understand the question :-/

Have played many games using my assault brigade.
Dkok are VERY different from IG.You simply can not compare the two.
Ours can not deepstrike or infiltrate or even take a cheap transport.(the autocannon chimera with trackguards is not cheap)
They are also very expensive points wise.

The new stormtroopers in the astra militarum codex will have absolutely nothing to do with Dkok Grenadiers.
If you want to buy the FW models and use them as stormtroopers thats OK but tactics wise its apples and oranges.

Grenadiers currently cost 25% fewer points base than Stormtroopers.

Not sure why you're using them different tactically when the loadout is the same.

Sure the options for deployment are different, but once they're in play there's not enough difference to alter their use.

Zingraff
18-03-2014, 08:46
Krieg Grenadiers are a troop choice, allowing them to score objectives, which is great. An Assault Brigade player might use Engineers with a breaching drill to "deep strike", they're veterans with carapace and shotguns with optional Shred.

I got to say, I don't exactly approve of using DKoK rules to represent Scion miniatures, if that's what you have in mind.

Ironbone
18-03-2014, 10:21
I don't exactly approve of using DKoK rules to represent Scion miniatures
Meh, it's not even close to worst proxies that I saw :p. IMHO it's fine.

A.T.
18-03-2014, 10:41
An Assault Brigade player might use Engineers with a breaching drill to "deep strike", they're veterans with carapace and shotguns with optional Shred.Though the veterans are not scoring, and the drill is frequently suicidal.

The krieg are an odd one these days, lots of soft 10 man units running forwards (or driving up in over-equipped chimeras) bleeding out victory points while their three heavy support slots try to clear a path, and the siege variant is a real mess.

Get the models if you like the look but in terms of committing to guard or krieg as an army i'd wait until after the release of the new guard dex - forgeworld will almost certainly monkey around with the krieg rules again and it's always a lottery when they do. Most of the krieg stuff (artillery batteries, etc) can be used with normal guard so there are only a few models that can't be shared between the two.

Zingraff
18-03-2014, 11:22
Though the veterans are not scoring, and the drill is frequently suicidal.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Although I don't intend to play vanilla guard myself, I'm still apprehensive about the new codex because of how it might affect the DKoK Assault list.

I'm also hoping for different rules for vox-casters, to better reflect what they actually look like.