PDA

View Full Version : Yarrick - Imperial Creed

Dean5150
18-03-2014, 09:23
http://reclusiam.net/sites/default/files/styles/share_image/public/yarrick_imperial_creed.jpg?itok=TySaQMph

Spotted this in an advanced review posted by Lord of the Night, gets a decent enough score.

Soul Hunter
24-03-2014, 16:35
It's a decent book but I have one real problem with it. Why the hell does it even exist?? Sebastian Yarrick, what is the first thing that we think of when we think of him. Armageddon. I want to read about Yarrick's greatest moment, when he does become, as it says on this book's blurb, "the man who Space Marine Chapter Masters do homage to on bended knee." I don't care about when he was young, I want to read about him fighting Ghazghkull and tearing off an Ork Warlord's arm for himself. I want a book about the Siege of Hades Hive, not Yarrick fighting rebels on some backwater world.

SH

DarkChaplain
25-03-2014, 07:07
Well, this IS set to be a series, sketching out Yarrick's life. I, for one, am looking forward to it, and judging from Chains of Golgotha, I am confident that this will be a great treat.

DarkWarrior1981
25-03-2014, 12:05
Is it common knowledge when this one will be on general release? I know it was sold first at the Weekender last year, but since then, nothing...?!

Darke
25-03-2014, 18:16
The rumor is April, but nothing announced for sure.

Soul Hunter
25-03-2014, 20:45
Well, this IS set to be a series, sketching out Yarrick's life. I, for one, am looking forward to it, and judging from Chains of Golgotha, I am confident that this will be a great treat.
Maybe but I would have preferred that we start off with that. And that someone other than David Annandale would write it.

SH

DarkChaplain
26-03-2014, 06:02
Maybe but I would have preferred that we start off with that. And that someone other than David Annandale would write it.

SH

Couldn't disagree more on the latter.

Soul Hunter
26-03-2014, 09:52
Couldn't disagree more on the latter.
Opinions and all that. I've really enjoyed some of Annandale's work like The Traveller and Mephiston: Lord of Death, and disliked others like The Death of Antagonis and The Carrion Anthemn. Yarrick: Imperial Creed falls in the middle of the two, parts of it I liked and parts I disliked, though it leans more towards the like category.

SH

DarkChaplain
14-05-2014, 06:37
Just finished the novel. Brilliant, kept me excited from prologue to epilogue. The political intrigue was very interesting to watch, especially since the Commissar's role as "political" officer often falls flat (either because it is not brought up or because the Commissar in question is being adored or too much of an authority already).

The build-up in the first half was very strong, which made the second half so much more powerful in context. The book also hammered the symbolism inherent in a Commissar's role home, up until the very end, including the usual rhetoric you'd expect, as well as considerations about the officers' fitness.

Seeing Sister Superior Setheno's "early" days with her order also made sense in the context of the story, and since I liked her character in Death of Antagonis already, I enjoyed this somewhat-origin-story. Speaking of, Aighe Mortis, which was also featured in Death of Antagonis, supplied the regiment Yarrick is attached to. An obvious nod to Annandale's previous work, sure, but it did not harm the novel in any way.

That said, the style from Chains of Golgotha remains. The book is written in sections from the perspectives of various characters, with Yarrick's own being told in first person hindsight, after the events of Armageddon. He makes various remarks throughout the book about his naivety or how certain events shaped him, and also refers to Ghazghkull briefly. It was interesting to have those snippets from the future, and looking at parallels.
The other PoVs are written in 3rd person, and do a fantastic job to sketch out the rest of the war by showing different angles and events, as well as motivations.
I liked this pattern in Chains of Golgotha, and I enjoyed it here as well, probably more so due to the richness of characters to read about.

So.... is this still Old Man Yarrick? Yes and No. Yarrick is on his first assignment as a Commissar, fresh from his training as a Stormtrooper. He is still learning and observing, trying to find his own identity beyond being a faceless icon to the soldiers around him. You can, however, recognize him, and understand how he becomes the man he is centuries later, and we even get a glimpse of things to come.

Imperial Creed has every right to exist, and as a sort of origin story for Sebastian Yarrick, it does a hell of a job at it. I do not regret waiting around 8+ months for this one, and it did not disappoint my expectations. There is a lot to Imperial Creed, and David's style fit the story, fit Yarrick, perfectly. Can't wait for the next book.