PDA

View Full Version : names for traitor guard

Yresk
18-03-2014, 10:23
This is just a big bug on my mind. what else can you call the traitor Guard?
I mean they are not guarding they are attacking and pillaging and invading.
just a small gripe but one that is driving me crazy

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 14:17
Well, with the coming name change you could always call them Traitor Militarum ;).

Lost and the Damned is a popular option. Or call them by their individual organization names, like the Blood Pact or the Vraks Renegades. Or if they're unaligned just call them reavers, pirates, cultists, heretics, mercenaries - whatever you like really.

totgeboren
19-03-2014, 17:46
Well, the 'Imperial Guard' attacks stuff about as often as they defend. It's the PDF that does the defending normally. I would imagine 'Traitor Guard' would attack stuff as often as the 'Imperial Guard', which quite often, even though they have the word 'Guard' in the name.

Or, come to think of it, I think 'Traitor Guards' would defend much more often than the 'Imperial Guard', since they would on average have less access to naval assets (you know, the divide of Astartes, Navy and IG since the whole HH incident). So an average engagement involving Traitor Guard would probably have them defend against an Imperial Guard attack.

So 'Traitor Guard' is a fitting name, it's 'Imperial Guard' that is misleading.

Anima
19-03-2014, 18:04
"Bad Guys."
Or "Cannon-fodder for the Really Bad Guys." :D

Easy E
19-03-2014, 18:23
Traitors, heretics, and renegades.

Lanacane
19-03-2014, 22:21
Keith..

that is the worst name anyone could ever have

OuroborosTriumphant
20-03-2014, 11:04
Heretics, Renegades, the Lost and the Damned, human forces of the Archenemy.

Menthak
20-03-2014, 18:15
Scum is a good one, depending on who you ask.

Michael M.
20-03-2014, 18:27
Dead Men?! Some kept their names they had have befor they became traitors, f.e. the IV Volskani.

DarthSte
20-03-2014, 18:55
Renegade militia or army?

madprophet
22-03-2014, 00:15
Heretics... the Lost & the Damned... Chaos Loonies...

or Heroes of Humanity... followers of the True Gods... the Enlightened

Depends on your point of view and your model collection

MajorWesJanson
23-03-2014, 00:42
In High Gothic, I'd guess Militarum Maleficarum- Militarum seems to be the new catch-all for military, and Maleficarum is used to describe the warp and Chaos. Same reason I expect Chaos Space Marines to become Astartes Maleficarum if Space Marines transition over to Adeptus Astartes on the cover.

=Angel=
24-03-2014, 00:25
They are called renegades by forge world. Seems like a name the Imperium would use in universe- they would not say 'chaos' because that's classified.
Traitor Astartes aren't common knowledge, the term 'chaos space marines' probably doesn't get used in universe either.

Chem-Dog
26-03-2014, 15:14
It depends what level you're viewing them at.
If you are speaking out of universe about the distinction of an army that uses rules from C:IG or from elsewhere to represent an equivalence (A C:CSM list with only Vehicles and cultists, for example), Renegade or Traitor Guard is quite an acceptable term. It makes (and requires) no distinction between actual members of the Imperial Guard who have turned traitor or recanted their oaths (willingly or not) and other groups who can be considered similar.

In universe, the galaxy is your oyster.
Someone with a significant overview of the Imperium, without enough interest to make the distinction or just speaking generally might use the term but people with a narrower perspective will probably use a more refined range of terms, probably more oriented around the identity of the group, there are plenty of examples in the annals.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
04-04-2014, 13:45
If you are looking for army or renegade force names, GW has often used "freemen" in association with the location of the renegades. For example, if a faction of the planet Lucan went renegade, they may call their forces the Lucan Freemen.

chadenej
06-06-2014, 11:16
Like others have posted, depends on your point of view.

If you consider yourself the commander of your force, fighting for your deity, I think things like "chosen" or "blessed" sounds well.

I, on the contrary, as an Astra Militarum commander, will call your force terrorists (if your force is mainly formed with civil militia), turncoats, deserters, renegades, traitors (ex-loyalists) or heretics (if your force worships overtly Chaos).