PDA

View Full Version : 40k narrative battle reports - input needed

IcedCrow
18-03-2014, 17:43
I am going to be switching my battle report over to be more narrative in nature - which means I will not be detailing the exact details of a game but rather the story behind it.

Input from the general community is welcome on what would make a desirable 40k battle report that is narrative based.

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 17:54
The narrative reports that I write tend to have a scene-setting story and a closing story, but the report itself is straightforward (with perhaps a few bits of narrative to describe particularly cool moments).

I feel like this strategy works best for me, because sometimes its hard to translate the exact events of a game to a narrative format. There will almost always be moments that will either break the story or get ignored by the report, and it becomes difficult to keep story events straight as you keep writing - after all, how many times can your cool commander get mortally wounded in battle before you start to wonder about him? ;)

The best part is the opener and closer don't have to be directly related to the battle. They could be tangential events that set the stage for the conflict without being forced to accurately reflect the forces that are on the field. That works for me because I can let myself be creative in building the world outside the table.

Your mileage may vary, though.

theunwantedbeing
18-03-2014, 18:16
You could do one of the following:

1. Have the battle report actually be a battle report, from the point of view of one of the models that survived.
Either have it as a debrief or perhaps an interrogation/questioning depending on whether the model is on the winning or losing side.

2. Take the first person narrative approach so you tell the game as it happens from the point of view of a squad member.
Obviously it'de be helpful with that idea to pick somebody who actually lives through the entire game (or most of it).

I can see that sort of thing making an entertaining read.

IcedCrow
18-03-2014, 18:22
I was going for something you'd read out of black library, centered around a model (preferably an HQ but those often die lol)

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 18:37
I was going for something you'd read out of black library, centered around a model (preferably an HQ but those often die lol)

Does the model have to be present in the battle? You could have a framing story of an Adeptus scholar trying to piece together a historical record using different video logs, testimonials, writings from primary sources, etc....

IcedCrow
18-03-2014, 18:38
for the one i'm about to do it will be my spirit seer.

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 18:41
for the one i'm about to do it will be my spirit seer.

Heh, in that case my idea does not work so well.

One way you could interpret the battle could be to focus on events that the Spiritseer was involved in, and show other events as the psychic impressions of what's going on around him / her.

IcedCrow
18-03-2014, 18:43
this is more or less 3rd person centered on her. My other video reports begin and end with the story, but this time i am going to go for narrating it ala an audio drama and include video and pictures from the game.