PDA

View Full Version : Voidshield Generator, New White Dwarf

Frep
18-03-2014, 18:35
Got a quick look at next weeks White Dwarf, and the front page revealed the new Void Shield Generator terrain kit. I must say it looks fairly cool, but the price point ($120 CAN) is a little steep for my tastes. The other new terrain piece that seems to be release alongside is a new crater terrain set ($45 CAN), I think its was something along the line of Macro-cannon craters. Nice looking little set, 5 craters which are assembled in two pieces to give you more options in how the craters will look. Again nice, but rather pricey. I must admit I was just rather shocked to see this release in WD rather than the already seen Taurox and Scions. Also if I've been a total tool bag and just not noticed this rumour was already posted, could a mod please delete this thread.

MajorWesJanson
18-03-2014, 18:45
Hmm, VSG must be pretty big to be at that price point.

Loopstah
18-03-2014, 18:49
Was it a set of 3 generators with pipes?

Hawkkf
18-03-2014, 18:50
If they realized area effect void shields would be something everyone would be interested in taking, then it doesn't surprise me that they would make a large kit with a larger price tag. If its as good of a kit as the Knight Titan then it will still sell well. If its like sloth the ogryn.. probably not as well.

Frep
18-03-2014, 18:51
Yeah it seems to be a decent size, the base is kind of a pentagonal bunker, with 4 towers topped by these odd energy orbs rising above it. About half way up the towers, there is a platform which connects all four, looks like you should be able to pile a fair number of troops onto it.

MagicHat
18-03-2014, 18:53
According to Natfka, it is a limited release of 1000, made by resin.
http://natfka.blogspot.se/2014/03/details-on-this-weeks-40k-releases.html

stevegill
18-03-2014, 18:54
Yeah it seems to be a decent size, the base is kind of a pentagonal bunker, with 4 towers topped by these odd energy orbs rising above it. About half way up the towers, there is a platform which connects all four, looks like you should be able to pile a fair number of troops onto it.

Sounds like a useful multi-functional mystery tech piece. How large a footprint would you guess?

Frep
18-03-2014, 18:56
I honestly am not sure on the size, but I'm gonna hazard a guess of about Bastion sized, didn't seem overly massive but still looked fairly impressive.

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 18:58
According to Natfka, it is a limited release of 1000, made by resin.
http://natfka.blogspot.se/2014/03/details-on-this-weeks-40k-releases.html

Any input on this Frep? Did you see signs of it being limited edition or resin? Seems fishy to me.

Frep
18-03-2014, 19:09
I didn't notice anything that said limited edition or resin, but I also didn't get too long of a look at it. Nothing I saw really screamed "Limited" to me, I personally suspect its just a normal plastic kit, but can't be too certain.

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 19:23
I didn't notice anything that said limited edition or resin, but I also didn't get too long of a look at it. Nothing I saw really screamed "Limited" to me, I personally suspect its just a normal plastic kit, but can't be too certain.

Cool, thanks for the info!

MajorWesJanson
18-03-2014, 19:24
I can't see a VSG being limited. That would be stupid, when it can be used by every army, and can be taken as a set of 3.

MagicHat
18-03-2014, 20:08
http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/03/leaked-march-29th-releases-hobbit-40k.html

Talkwargaming, via l'astropate.

Limited finecast.

I am sorry, sensible releases are in another castle.

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 20:10
http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/03/leaked-march-29th-releases-hobbit-40k.html

Talkwargaming, via l'astropate.

Limited finecast.

I am sorry, sensible releases are in another castle.

Weird.

Well, per Wes's point, this will be a popular kit. I guess this just guarantees that it will sell out.

Darnok
18-03-2014, 20:34
How very odd.

Somebody described the VSG:

Void Shield Generator
Limited edition - 1000 copies numbered in fancy box
Made of 10 hard resin pieces, and extremely detailed. Its a square structure with a platform on which emerges 4 towers with the void shield generator in the center of them. The structure looks as tall and wide as a bastion.
Its listed at $100

The price is not that bad for a full resin structure of that size, but I have absolutely no idea why something like the VSG comes in that material. It's stupid on quite a few levels.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for pics.

Theocracity
18-03-2014, 20:39
How very odd.

Somebody described the VSG:

The price is not that bad for a full resin structure of that size, but I have absolutely no idea why something like the VSG comes in that material. It's stupid on quite a few levels.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for pics.

I presume its because they figure they'd need a model for it and didn't have the plastic production capacity. That doesn't explain why it's limited, though. It's an odd choice.

Darnok
18-03-2014, 20:45
I presume its because they figure they'd need a model for it and didn't have the plastic production capacity. That doesn't explain why it's limited, though. It's an odd choice.

In that case they should let FW do it. And why do they need to have a model for it? There are many things GW does not provide a model for, and so far that didn't seem to be a problem.

MagicHat
18-03-2014, 20:50
Could be a stop-gap production before they make one in plastic, so chapterhouse or others don't make one.

...Doesn't explain why it is a limited release though...

tiger g
18-03-2014, 20:55
Could be a stop-gap production before they make one in plastic, so chapterhouse or others don't make one.

...Doesn't explain why it is a limited release though...

You just explained it. cast it as cheap as possible in resin and beat the third party manufacturers. Then do plastic later but IP is protected.

Kijamon
18-03-2014, 21:59
Picture is on reddit, it is massive. He confirmed it as limited run.

warlordbob
18-03-2014, 22:05
Not what I expected, looks pretty good though, may pick one up after all

Loopstah
18-03-2014, 22:09
That is crazy huge! Not sure if it's worth buying though as I'd still have to make Prometheum pipes which would be an effort.

MagicHat
18-03-2014, 22:17
Not at all what I expected.

*Checks bank account*
Kinda wish that I had known this was coming before buying a not limited Knight though.

I really like it actually, even if it totally looks like a 40K'd Fulcrum.

Good firing position as well, without the Bastions "Good luck having the second/third rank see the target".

RTB01
18-03-2014, 22:29
How do you search reddit as I'm useless!

Kijamon
18-03-2014, 22:30
Www.reddit.com/r/warhammer

Post is on there

Darnok
18-03-2014, 22:33
Not a fan.

I guess it does the job, but just isn't to my tastes. Finecast is a no-no, as is the price. I'll pass.

RTB01
18-03-2014, 22:41
Cheers, sadly uninspiring for me

Mandragola
18-03-2014, 22:44
Hmm looks ok I suppose. Is it really resin though? Looks like roughly the same quality as the wall of martyrs stuff. Not sure I really want one anyway. Played a game against one and it wasn't all that great really.

WordBearer
18-03-2014, 22:58
Welp, guess I'm going back to my plan of using the screaming souls from the Mortis Engine as a Chaos version of void shields.

Killgore
18-03-2014, 23:02
Interesting, could look pretty good next to some trenches and firestorms

Mini77
18-03-2014, 23:03
I really like it!

stevegill
18-03-2014, 23:08
I like it, though more as a terrain centrepiece for the Mechanicum than any other reason

Thanks for the link Kijamon

Master Sheol
18-03-2014, 23:48
It looks pretty good IMHO...
The only disturbing things are that it's Failcrap and that is WSL Limited run...
After GW finished the 1000 Worldwide VSG How are we supposed to play them???
Are they gonna male legal actions against Third parties For producing an alternative For a Product they did but dont do anymore???
The Chapterhouse incident didnt teach anything to Mr. Kirby???

I am Always amazed by the stupidity of GW marketing...

MiyamatoMusashi
18-03-2014, 23:55
Why on earth would they make that in Finecast?

Scratch that. Why on earth would they make (something looking like) that at all? Absolutely nothing about it suggests its purpose. It's just a tower. And not a particularly good looking one IMO.

draccan
18-03-2014, 23:56
Just wait for the 32 page hardcover codex void shield generator and 72 page companion and the associated void shield novel and the one click bundle for those three for a meager 134

my_name_is_tudor
18-03-2014, 23:58
Where'd it say finecast? GW have released other resin non-finecast scenery before. I assumed this to be that, given its scale.

AndrewGPaul
19-03-2014, 00:03
"Hard resin" and "limited edition" remind me of the old Chapel of Sanctuary piece.

warlordbob
19-03-2014, 00:08
At least we now have a rough idea of the dimensions to work with for conversions, i'm actually thinking of doing some myself now i've looked at it a couple of times. 2 kitbashed generators would be far cheaper and more functional looking, its simply a case of using the right bits.

Azazyll
19-03-2014, 00:12
At least we now have a rough idea of the dimensions to work with for conversions, i'm actually thinking of doing some myself now i've looked at it a couple of times. 2 kitbashed generators would be far cheaper and more functional looking, its simply a case of using the right bits.

Agreed. And they're basically asking us to do that by making it limited

WordBearer
19-03-2014, 00:32
And for that matter, the most recent Wall of Martyrs kits with the turret sockets in the middle make for a reasonably good base for this.

Kijamon
19-03-2014, 00:47
Craters are on reddit too, very fitting with the wall of martyr theme.

Spiney Norman
19-03-2014, 01:05
"Hard resin" and "limited edition" remind me of the old Chapel of Sanctuary piece.

Indeed me too, but the chapel looked so much better.

Does anyone know if this one comes pre-painted like the chapel?

Unfortunately the thing that has me most excited about that WD cover is the new hobbit model line...

Mr. Ultra
19-03-2014, 01:08
I find the whole thing hideous and uninspired. Hoorray! I saved $100!

Ghazbad_Facestompa
19-03-2014, 01:15
It's... okay, I guess. Here's hoping one of the people who buys it puts good measurements up; at least I have a visual template to start with now.

Naulaen
19-03-2014, 01:22
I really like the detailing on it, as it was mentioned already, it would make a nice piece of scenery for a Mechanicus army.
In general, I guess it has more of a collective value to it.

I don't have tapatalk so read this line instead.

Formerly Wu
19-03-2014, 01:40
Weird color scheme on the Rhino in the corner, there. Looks almost unpainted (although it is).

cool-kid-on-the-block
19-03-2014, 01:58
Weird color scheme on the Rhino in the corner, there. Looks almost unpainted (although it is).

I think its just a grey knight colour scheme,

I did get really excited and envisioned a big industrial platform with walkways, tread-plate and stuff, curling round a generator in the middle based on the description people were giving. then looked on the link and immediately lost interest.

Son of Morkai
19-03-2014, 02:16
Very detailed and interesting, but I was hoping for something more militaristic. More like the "void masts" often mentioned in books, and less like a weird technotower. Now that I have an idea of the size, I'll probably just use bulked up Vengeance Batteries as the base, with a scratch built mast.

Greyhound
19-03-2014, 03:04
The ork in me wants to loot it... as a giant KFF

svinkelz
19-03-2014, 07:58
It looks like 4 sonic screwdrivers put togother imo

10th doctor maybe :)

jullevi
19-03-2014, 09:07
Normally I'm all over GW terrain, but Void Shield Generator doesn't tickle my fancy. At all. It is too silly, too expensive and too annoying material. And it looks like it takes forever to paint.

Quake Cannon Craters, on the other hand, look great. I will gladly upgrade my Moonscape craters to these. Moonscape craters looked ok, but the flimsy vacuformed plastic was pain in the backside to work with. Quake Cannon Craters will not only be made of proper material, but they should also look great alongside Battlescape terrain piece and Wall of Martyrs scenery. For me, they are the most exciting product of the year so far.

nosebiter
19-03-2014, 09:36
Void shield generator looks....meh at that price.

the craters i am bot sure a out, beed better pictures before i pass judgement.

draccan
19-03-2014, 10:35
A terrain piece for that price in a special little box with a bowtie and a number?!?!

I wonder when even the hardcore collectors will start to feel that GW is oversaturating their own market with useless limited editions...

Asher
19-03-2014, 10:52
This is nothing one could not kitbash from the far cheaper CoD building.

Pass!

Master Sheol
19-03-2014, 10:58
My guess us that the Limited resin run is the "kickstarter" For a,future Plastic release...
60 x 1000 pieces is 60.000 enough to have a decent income to buy the mould to make the plastic one...

my2cents

Brother Vaneb
19-03-2014, 11:01
I think it looks good.

Darnok
19-03-2014, 11:03
My guess us that the Limited resin run is the "kickstarter" For a,future Plastic release...
60 x 1000 pieces is 60.000 enough to have a decent income to buy the mould to make the plastic one...

my2cents

That makes no sense at all.

For one you don't get 100% profit from that: designing, producing and delivering this kit is not for free. To be honest, I think producing that kit will lose GW money, even if they sell all of them. But more importantly: you would not get a plastic injection mould for a kit of that size for 60K.

Master Sheol
19-03-2014, 12:34
So why making it a resin Limited run???
To give us the shape and size so we can scratchbuild it not giving GW any Money???
I dont understand this move by GW...

BTJ
19-03-2014, 13:04
To give us the shape and size so we can scratchbuild it not giving GW any Money???
I dont understand this move by GW...
To get out an official design and close it off to third party manufacturers

Zogash
19-03-2014, 13:10

Maybe they're trying to get rid of their failcast stock and since they apparently figured out that minis made from the stuff don't sell, they thought that dumping it all in one big go would take it off their hands the quickest? :D

Shibboleth
19-03-2014, 13:11
I don't get how Titans can carry a void shield generator the size of a coin, but this thing is bigger than a Bastion?

...and if this is done to close off design to 3rd parties, still why limited run?

stevegill
19-03-2014, 13:23
I don't get how Titans can carry a void shield generator the size of a coin, but this thing is bigger than a Bastion?

Maybe it's because Titans run off different power sources and aren't quite as big as a city sector

Beppo1234
19-03-2014, 14:19
I love gw terrain, but this is kind of meh... honestly, looks like they took a couple of manufactorum kits, put 'em together and cast 'em into a 'unique' terrain bit. A for effort, C- for execution

draccan
19-03-2014, 14:57
Maybe it's because Titans run off different power sources and aren't quite as big as a city sector

Puny human technology

Xeones
19-03-2014, 15:44
Well, this void shield probably has to protect a larger area than a titan shield too. A Titan shield only has to cover the titan itself, but I assume these are for protecting larger areas so they'd probably be bigger for that reason. Whatever the fluff, I hate the model. With the the exception of the imperial knight kit, I feel GW have really hit a low point in their model designs.

Horus38
19-03-2014, 17:52
That piece would look pretty boss for a terrain center piece, but way too rich for my blood for something like a VSG!

vortexdr
19-03-2014, 18:02
Why on earth would they make that in Finecast?

Scratch that. Why on earth would they make (something looking like) that at all? Absolutely nothing about it suggests its purpose. It's just a tower. And not a particularly good looking one IMO.

Agreed, the void shield is super ugly....

Pssyche
19-03-2014, 18:45
I think it's a shockingly bad model.
I love collecting 40K but I definitely won't be buying one of these.
And not because of its price, either.
The model looks around 125mm x 125mm x 250mm, and 75 or thereabouts for a resin kit that large isn't that bad of a price.
I just don't buy stuff I don't like, no matter how useful it is.

Avian
19-03-2014, 18:59
To get out an official design and close it off to third party manufacturers

Wouldn't work, there's immense scope for making something similar without being an infringement.

Daigar
19-03-2014, 19:19
Maybe they're trying to get rid of their failcast stock and since they apparently figured out that minis made from the stuff don't sell, they thought that dumping it all in one big go would take it off their hands the quickest? :D

According to a.... source, it's FW resin, not finecast.

MajorWesJanson
19-03-2014, 19:30
According to a.... source, it's FW resin, not finecast.

So why not have FW make it, and not-limited?

A.T.
19-03-2014, 19:42
So why not have FW make it, and not-limited?It probably is being made using FWs equipment if it's not failcast. I'm guessing GW are putting out just enough to use against 3rd party retailers and will then switch the machines right back to producing shoulderpads and rhino doors - don't want to cut into FW's money makers.

Chem-Dog
19-03-2014, 19:54
...and if this is done to close off design to 3rd parties, still why limited run?

If this is the case, it could just be a place-filler, GW have done that before, recently. Just never on quite a scale as this.
Could also be a way of using up surplus resin.

I may have been tempted to buy one if it weren't resin or limited release, but as an IG player I've got other concerns at the moment. Even my Knights are having to wait.

MajorWesJanson
19-03-2014, 19:55
I may have been tempted to buy one if it weren't resin or limited release, but as an IG player I've got other concerns at the moment. Even my Knights are having to wait.

Same. If Forgeworld added it to their normal terrain lineup, I would probably pick one up later. But LE, sorry GW.

Darnok
19-03-2014, 19:58
If this is the case, it could just be a place-filler, GW have done that before, recently. Just never on quite a scale as this.
Could also be a way of using up surplus resin.

When exactly did they something like this? I can only remember metal-to-FC switches for some time before a plastic version came (e.g. the Hivetyrant). But I know of no model that got a new model in FC/resin as a "stop gap".

Considering that "surplus resin theory": sure, they invest in designing, sculpting and moulding those, just to use material that they could use on... everything else from FW? Please...

stevegill
19-03-2014, 19:59
Same. If Forgeworld added it to their normal terrain lineup, I would probably pick one up later. But LE, sorry GW.

If it is meant to be there will still be one available when the money tree agrees

MajorWesJanson
19-03-2014, 20:07
Well, my meager money shrub has been overgrown by the Kudzu of Imperial Knights/Imperial Guard/Forge World releases.

TheBearminator
19-03-2014, 20:21
Not a fan. Looks pretty Giger though. Where are the rules for this thing exactly?

MajorWesJanson
19-03-2014, 20:28
Not a fan. Looks pretty Giger though. Where are the rules for this thing exactly?

Stronghold Assault.

TheBearminator
19-03-2014, 20:29
When exactly did they something like this?

Limited edition terrain pieces you mean? I can remember a piece of fantasy terrain (a small ork camp of some sort) that I bought like fifteen years ago. If I remember correctly it was just available one single day at an event of some kind. Was it grand opening day or an anniversary of some kind. It was back in the days when GW actually had big sales once in a while. Often in the form of single day events.

TheBearminator
19-03-2014, 20:30
Stronghold Assault.

Thanks major!

Hawkkf
20-03-2014, 00:06
IF it is made of fw resin AND they used FW machines to make it.. then maybe this is a test run of thier supply chain to see if they can get fw items shipped with thier main warehouse system. I had heard a rumor a while back that fw would be available to order through us gw stores at some undetermined time. If its a test run of a limited fw release (which only means limited to a set quantity right now), then the void shield generator seems like a good choice.

Wolf Lord Balrog
20-03-2014, 01:37
The price is ridiculous, and while the model does have a lot of detail, the overall design does nothing for me. Definitely a pass here too.

StrykerSniper
20-03-2014, 02:33
Eh, its so so. I thought it was supposed to have battlements. It is described in SA as a medium sized building with battlements.

Archibald_TK
20-03-2014, 03:39
Eh, its so so. I thought it was supposed to have battlements. It is described in SA as a medium sized building with battlements.
It kind of does, pictures in the WD show it with models standing on the giant cogs (both the lower ones and at the top). The battlement with the worst protection in the game, with barriers made out of thin air (and no access point that I can see) :p

MusingWarboss
20-03-2014, 03:47
It looks like 4 sonic screwdrivers put togother imo

10th doctor maybe :)

I'm glad someone thought the same as me!

It just looks like some Cities of Death bits and four sonic screwdrivers stuck on and GW-ified. Pretty poor actually, I was expecting something big and impressive and bursting with energy. This looks like a novelty pen holder.

No idea why GW has made yet another limited edition if that is what it truly is. They really need to pack that in, it's getting tired as a technique - limited editions should be exciting - they're hardly exciting when you're guaranteed one at least each month.

The craters look a lot better though. Are they limited edition too? And resin?

Master Sheol
20-03-2014, 06:03
The craters are plastic and not Limited... Each pack contains 4 craters that are 2 halves each so you can put on the table halved Too and use them to make some barricades Too...
i like the idea but the design is clumsy all filled with any sort of Garbage and the Wall of martyrs style poor dead guardsmen everywhere...
i liked better the old moonscape craters...

Daigar
20-03-2014, 10:53
They really need to pack that in, it's getting tired as a technique - limited editions should be exciting - they're hardly exciting when you're guaranteed one at least each month.

How about TWO different limited edition items coming at the same time?

The craters are plastic and not Limited... Each pack contains 4 craters that are 2 halves each so you can put on the table halved Too and use them to make some barricades Too...
i like the idea but the design is clumsy all filled with any sort of Garbage and the Wall of martyrs style poor dead guardsmen everywhere...
i liked better the old moonscape craters...

Well, I was excited for some urban craters, but if they're supposed to make WoM-like barricades, then they will have skeleton guardsmen piled up all around them... sucks. Maybe if they were fleshy corpses and not so much of them...

MagicHat
20-03-2014, 12:28

I may get the terms wrong, but it does have battlements (place to stand).
It doesn't have crenelations (walls to hide behind).

Which I like, because standing on a bastion, the second rank tends to have no LOS to the enemy. Here they do, and they are still protected by the void shield.

shelfunit.
21-03-2014, 11:20
Not sure about this one, seems to be sadly lacking in skulllzzzzz...

:shifty:

JackHamm3r
21-03-2014, 11:23
No skulllzzzzzzzzzz? Cant buy it, because it wont fit to my realm of battle board :D

The bearded one
21-03-2014, 12:18
Im no fan of the voidshield generator, but I am actually really digging those craters.

Kijamon
21-03-2014, 20:14
Did that just sell out in under 10 minutes?

I think the UK stock has actually sold out in that time.

Timathius
21-03-2014, 20:15
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCatsLarge.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

Pre orders are up for it.

What a fancy box it has! :rolleyes:

Also, is that green resin?

Greyhound
21-03-2014, 20:16
Still available here in Australia

Zombie P
21-03-2014, 20:26
Im no fan of the voidshield generator, but I am actually really digging those craters.

Agreed. Still, cant believe its sold out. Like, now.

ZP

The Emperor
21-03-2014, 20:29
Wow, are you kidding me? Did they really sell out before I even knew they were up? @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$%!!!

burni
21-03-2014, 20:32
Says polystone in the description. It'll be heavy then.

Timathius
21-03-2014, 20:39
WELP. that was fast, guess I should take a half day next friday so I can order the IG LE and be sitting at computer hitting refresh.

Darnok
21-03-2014, 20:40
I've got a "no longer available" for Germany as well. That must be a mistake.

shelfunit.
21-03-2014, 20:43

1000 world wide? Not surprising it sold out quickly if so.

MusingWarboss
21-03-2014, 20:43
Sold out already? Well, that's another victory for GWs "let's make stuff limited" campaign. Here's an idea... How about just selling these things and, Y'know, make more money from them? :rolleyes:

Having had a look at the craters now on the GW website I have to say, whilst nice, this is the sort of thing there would have been a Modelling Workshop article about in the Old White Dwarf. Some blue foam and the contents of your bits box on a plate of thick card/MDF/hard board. Job done.

To be honest, that's all that the sculptors done. Oh, Mr. Cynicism I see you've come to visit again...

Inquisitor Samos
21-03-2014, 20:44
Seems like they weren't kidding with the "only 1000 world-wide" bit . . .

Kijamon

I don't think so. I have one sitting as processing on my account without a GW confirmation email yet. There may be a couple left that they've held back in case of a giant sell out but I sat and watched it sell out with refreshing.

They have also put on the listing that it's available from other stockists and GW stores so presumably each store would get one (at least in the UK)?

Regardless, it was not limited to one per customer so expect ebay to have ridiculous priced ones shortly.

The Emperor
I just preordered three from Australia. I only thought of getting one or two, but apparently I can count on never getting them so "cheap" if I want more in the future again, so three it is.

superdupermatt
21-03-2014, 20:46
Saying sold out in the UK. Well, technically the "add-ons to cart" button is absent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Kijamon
21-03-2014, 20:54
I just preordered three from Australia. I only thought of getting one or two, but apparently I can count on never getting them so "cheap" if I want more in the future again, so three it is.

3 or 1/333rd of the world number.

Order one for me and ship it over!

MusingWarboss
21-03-2014, 20:55
Saying sold out in the UK. Well, technically the "add-ons to cart" button is absent.

That and the Availability line says, " No longer available."

Moving on what does this actually mean:

This product is exclusive to games-workshop.com, Games Workshop stores and Independent retailers.

Only available... Anywhere that sells GW products? That list doesn't sound that exclusive to me. Plus at 1000 copies there isn't enough stock to cover all those outlets surely?

The Emperor
21-03-2014, 20:55
3 or 1/333rd of the world number.

Order one for me and ship it over!

You can order it yourself. You don't need me for that. I ordered it from the US and had to pay through the nose for shipping. :p

superdupermatt
21-03-2014, 21:01
That and the Availability line says, " No longer available."

Oops! I'm hyper observant, honest.

Marshal
21-03-2014, 21:03
You can order it yourself. You don't need me for that. I ordered it from the US and had to pay through the nose for shipping. :p

He's right, it's still available on the Australia site; that is to say, you can still "order" it, though who knows if you'll get the ol' email or phone call saying they can't get your order to you and you're getting a voucher for something else you want...

Kijamon
21-03-2014, 21:06

Tempting but it's an extra 30 for the 2 I would get for shipping and who knows if there will then be the 20% VAT plus the postage charge on top.

It'd be like buy 2 pay for 3.

The Emperor
21-03-2014, 21:07
He's right, it's still available on the Australia site; that is to say, you can still "order" it, though who knows if you'll get the ol' email or phone call saying they can't get your order to you and you're getting a voucher for something else you want...

:wtf: Should I be worried?

Tempting but it's an extra 30 for the 2 I would get for shipping and who knows if there will then be the 20% VAT plus the postage charge on top.

It'd be like buy 2 pay for 3.

I think I ended up paying about $50 more for all three, so not too bad, and that's after I took into account that GW US would've probably given me free shipping on a $300 order.

Timathius
21-03-2014, 21:09
Hmmm it would seem you should have paid zero shipping according to that lovely big banner at the top right that says free shipping on ALL orders over 100$

but of course they get you with the fine print.

Marshal
21-03-2014, 21:10
:wtf: Should I be worried?

There's always that possibility. I've gotten that call before when I ordered SOB stuff a couple of years ago (though, they ended up shipping the stuff to me a few months later AFTER giving me the e-voucher and me spending it). It could just be that whoever is in charge of that sort of stuff might have goofed up and not changed the status on the Australia site, or maybe they actually did ship a set amount to each region and because it's early morning there, not a lot of people have had the chance to order it yet.

Monospot
21-03-2014, 21:11
Ordered mine from Australia, got a confirmation email and they charged my paypal. Time to see how good their customer service is and how many they actually made...

The Emperor
21-03-2014, 21:12
Hmmm it would seem you should have paid zero shipping according to that lovely big banner at the top right that says free shipping on ALL orders over 100$

but of course they get you with the fine print.

Yeah, according to the fine print, it's only free shipping to an address in Australia or New Zealand.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=community&pIndex=3&aId=14700060&start=4&multiPageMode=true

No biggie, though. I'm ordering from Australia, so that's to be expected. Still, it would've been nice if I could've ordered from GW US and gotten the free shipping, not to mention paying $100 per Void Shield Generator (I ended up paying $108 per plus about $20 for shipping for each).

Ghazbad_Facestompa
21-03-2014, 21:25
Well. That was faster than I expected.

The Emperor
21-03-2014, 21:27
Well. That was faster than I expected.

No kidding. I just checked and they're sold out in Australia, too. Thank God I got in there when I did.

Spider-pope
21-03-2014, 21:30
Oh look, i might orde- nope. It's gone.

Darnok
21-03-2014, 21:33
1000 world wide? Not surprising it sold out quickly if so.

We had books with comparable quotas. That amount selling out in literally minutes is actually quite odd, especially taking into account the horrible design and the even worse price.

P.S.: Given that the WDW is only out tomorrow, this is a marketing disaster. "Oh, I'd love to get one... what, it's sold out already?" ... not exactly what you want as a business, even if the cash generated might be nice. But then, 85000€ isn't that impressive at all. GW balled this up... not unusual for them. :rolleyes:

The Emperor
21-03-2014, 21:53
P.S.: Given that the WDW is only out tomorrow, this is a marketing disaster. "Oh, I'd love to get one... what, it's sold out already?" ... not exactly what you want as a business, even if the cash generated might be nice.

Oh, I'm sure those people will get one eventually... on eBay... at a 500% markup... but they'll get one!

draccan
21-03-2014, 22:03
I would have loved to dip the top part in some silicone to create an emblem for my cities of death mechanicus manufactorum main building that I working on...

Oh well, had no idea the preorders went up today :-/

Darnok
21-03-2014, 22:06
Oh, I'm sure those people will get one eventually... on eBay... at a 500% markup... but they'll get one!

I'm talking about Joe Average, age 15. Nope, he won't get one, but he might remember GW getting this one wrong.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
21-03-2014, 22:28
Definitely. Here's hoping it was a test run for a plastic version, because I can't see any logic behind making the VSG (perhaps the most interesting entry in Stronghold Assault) limited edition. Especially to the point of only producing 1000.

jmefr8
21-03-2014, 23:31
To be honest I had no intention of picking one of these up, but this is a massive blunder on GWs part. To sell out of a product before the magazine advertising it has been released is embarrassing. I really don't understand their strange obsession with limited products, especially ones that are clearly going to be very popular either way.

MiyamatoMusashi
21-03-2014, 23:35
Lucky I didn't want to buy one. Sold out before GW even told me it existed, much less was available for sale.

Amazed that 1000 people wanted one, especially at that price, but each to their own. I just dread the day GW decide to release something I do want because if I don't even know it exists before it sells out, what then? I guess I'd better keep an eye on the Warseer rumours forums, apparently GW don't think it important for their customers to know what they can buy...

superdupermatt
21-03-2014, 23:49
As much as they'll no doubt be patting themselves on the back for making yet another* excellent marketing decision, I wonder if it would even enter their heads that they've alienated customers by not having a limited edition product sold out before even their official channels have a chance to advertise. I suspect they won't or don't care.

Archibald_TK
22-03-2014, 00:09
Maybe they didn't put all of the 1000 on their website and kept a large chunk of them available for stores orders next week? I must admit I have no idea if we are supposed to have access to these models and I won't know until Monday. I don't remember seeing them labelled as direct only in the WD (thought I'm not the most perceptive guy ever) so I simply assumed we would be able to order them normally... well as normally as it can get with limited releases.

If it was never intended for that model to be available outside of their webstore then I am not happy with carrying a WD that heavily promotes a model that I can't make any kind of money out off.

Timathius
22-03-2014, 00:18
Maybe they didn't put all of the 1000 on their website and kept a large chunk of them available for stores orders next week? I must admit I have no idea if we are supposed to have access to these models and I won't know until Monday. I don't remember seeing them labelled as direct only in the WD (thought I'm not the most perceptive guy ever) so I simply assumed we would be able to order them normally... well as normally as it can get with limited releases.

If it was never intended for that model to be available outside of their webstore then I am not happy with carrying a WD that heavily promotes a model that I can't make any kind of money out off.

They have done this before, it would not surprise me.

stevegill
22-03-2014, 00:38
Get home from work (involves a flight and a bunch of other transport) to find it's sold out before it's even due to go on pre-order. Damn. :(

oh well, obviously wasn't meant to be.

Brother Hermiad
22-03-2014, 00:43
I wouldn't have paid the $120 AUS asking price for the kit, but it des give some inspiration for building your own.

I particulalry liked the top half comprisng the pilons and the Mechanicum symbol and actual generator component - everything from the cof floor as a base upwards.

The botttom half simply looked tacked on and the Servitors were the worst effort of their kind I'd seen by GW. Why it needed a flesh appendage to push buttons and clothing is beyond me - something like what you see in the Titans or Storm Eagles/Ravens where it is fully wired into the system would have seemed a better option to me.

Geep
22-03-2014, 01:44
With that time of release did any Australians actually manage to pick one up from GW Australia?
I had been considering one, but apparently 'I snooze, I lose'. Literally.

venus_redscar
22-03-2014, 04:18
Wow I thought maybe they locked down orders until it was official. If people already ordered this, it has to be the lamest thing.

Shall I just assume the eBay stores that buy up everything then mark it up did this?

Voss
22-03-2014, 04:30
Lucky I didn't want to buy one. Sold out before GW even told me it existed, much less was available for sale.

Yeah, as far as I can tell it was posted to the US store as Sold Out Already. I don't really get how that works. I didn't want the silly thing*, but... in most industries if a product sells out before its really available for purchase? You make more. Not sure what the logic chain at GW HQ looks like.

*take any GW 40K ruin terrain kit ever. Add cogs and orbs. Lunchtime!.

de Selby
22-03-2014, 04:45
Well at least the third party manufacturers know the general footprint and design of the piece they need to produce now.

Darnok
22-03-2014, 08:17
"What's new today" is up, and they couldn't even be bothered to remove the "get yours while it is there!"... while advertising a "SOLD OUT!" panel just below the text.

Just shows once again how unprofessional GW handles their advertising...

Matthias Thulmann
22-03-2014, 09:25
This thread is funny on a few levels.

Continue the nerd rage!

The Dude
22-03-2014, 09:39
"What's new today" is up, and they couldn't even be bothered to remove the "get yours while it is there!"... while advertising a "SOLD OUT!" panel just below the text.

Just shows once again how unprofessional GW handles their advertising...

Come off it D. Most if that would be scheduled publishing. You can't expect them to have a web author on over the weekend to change that.

As a marketer and a digital marketer, I think people are being unnecessarily harsh on GW here.

Darnok
22-03-2014, 10:07
It is poorly executed marketing, no matter how you view it. Pointing their mistakes out is not "unnecessarily harsh" in my opinion - but I accept that opinions can differ.

Gingerwerewolf
22-03-2014, 10:26
This was not about Sales

This was not about Marketing correctly

This was about reserving the Model. They brought out rules, without a model. They needed a model fast otherwise the whole Chapterhouse Fiasco would happen again.

Im not saying that it is correct, or defending them, Im just saying that in their minds they had to bring out a model fast to Copywrite it.

At most this was an exercise internally to see how fast they could turn something around - from Rules to Model.

I am gutted personally. I would have loved one. But Ill wait as I believe that they will bring out a plastic version. Personally I think that they didnt need to spend money on the new Craters. They could have spent that mould cash on the VSG. And I think got better returns.

However Ive just spotted something - the "Made from polystone" is not the usual way that they describe Resin Kits - Usually they say Finecast or Resin?

So this is just a test Kit, that they will see some monetary return on. That's all folx!

TheFang
22-03-2014, 11:12
There were a few Warmachine pieces in polystone which were heavy and well made. Similarly the Battlefield in a box ruins are the same. I'd have quite liked the void generator. Selling out before the pre-order was even announced is a real annoyance especially since most will have been sold to those who will list them on ebay to make a quick buck.

Killgore
22-03-2014, 12:47
However Ive just spotted something - the "Made from polystone" is not the usual way that they describe Resin Kits - Usually they say Finecast or Resin?

So this is just a test Kit, that they will see some monetary return on. That's all folx!

Bingo, its a test run.

The actual model looks pretty simple, 4 identical pillars, 4 cogs, a base and a few bits and bobs. They try out the new material before progressing with other products.

Went to my local GW store this morning, they can't get any in :(

nedsta
22-03-2014, 12:56
They've made things like this before in Polystone without them getting a re release in a new material.

static grass
22-03-2014, 13:56
TBH looking at the packaging I don't think ever intended this as anything other than a collectors piece. I will be surprised if anywhere near a 1000 owners put theirs together. Personally I am expecting a plastic none limited edition later on. Actually looking at the packaging I would expect more like this.

I mean come on they release the kit when it is still 21st march not even waiting until midnight in the UK. They cant be too concerned about any potential annoyance and I suspect it's because something else will be coming along.

I do generally approve of this move by GW ,they get a lot hate but its nice to see people hooked to their PC pressing F5 every minute :D

DarkWarrior1981
22-03-2014, 14:31
They've made things like this before in Polystone without them getting a re release in a new material.

So do you assume that this polystone is the same as for the two sets of walls for Lord of the Rings back in the day and the chapel of sanctuary? :)

Spider-pope
22-03-2014, 14:39
Well at least the third party manufacturers know the general footprint and design of the piece they need to produce now.

And GW now has a model to point to when the same third party manufacturers try to cash in on their IP. This was a stop gap to prevent IP infringement. That they pocketed a nice profit in a very short amount of time is a bonus.

As much as they'll no doubt be patting themselves on the back for making yet another* excellent marketing decision, I wonder if it would even enter their heads that they've alienated customers by not having a limited edition product sold out before even their official channels have a chance to advertise. I suspect they won't or don't care.

This is the only problem i have with what's happened. They have a magazine advertising a product that no one reading has any chance of buying now. They should have put it up for pre-order today. The exact same rapid selling would have happened, but at least White Dwarf Weekly readers would have had a (very very slim) chance of getting one.

nedsta
22-03-2014, 14:49
So do you assume that this polystone is the same as for the two sets of walls for Lord of the Rings back in the day and the chapel of sanctuary? http://www.warseer.com/forums/warseer/images/smilies/smile.png

As in the material, possibly. If this is a quick release just to get a model out then while I had no intention of actually buying it, I feel sorry for the people who actually wanted to buy it without putting it straight on Ebay, who now have to wait however long.

Daigar
22-03-2014, 15:33
I was excited about those craters, but now that I've seen clear pictures I'm gonna pass. They really look like circular barricades - the ridges are too steep and they look like someone filled them in. Why can't they just make an urban version of moonscape?

Loopstah
22-03-2014, 17:51
Would have bought 3 of them to have a set. Well done GW on saving me nearly 200.

Voss
22-03-2014, 18:22
This was not about Sales

This was not about Marketing correctly

This was about reserving the Model. They brought out rules, without a model. They needed a model fast otherwise the whole Chapterhouse Fiasco would happen again.

Im not saying that it is correct, or defending them, Im just saying that in their minds they had to bring out a model fast to Copywrite it.

Honestly... Nonsense. There is zero reason to expect they did not or could not have planned this model in exactly the same way they plan every other release: months ahead of time to correspond with the timing of the rules release. Even further, no one limited the production of the model but gw. They handled this poorly by choice, not necessity. Even if timing was an issue for reasons that aren't apparent to outsiders, they could have just as easily delayed the rules and frankly stuck them in something, be it a data slate, white dwarf, supplement or even rumoured 7th edition or integration of escalation and etc into the main rules.

There is no reason to give them a pass on handling this badly, because they did it entirely to themselves.

de Selby
22-03-2014, 18:31
And GW now has a model to point to when the same third party manufacturers try to cash in on their IP. This was a stop gap to prevent IP infringement. That they pocketed a nice profit in a very short amount of time is a bonus.

I don't see why Chapterhouse or whoever would have any problem turning out an 'energy field projector' or whatever with the same general height and space for models to stand on it etc., now that GW has generated demand. Their sales don't depend on making copies of GW stuff, just filling gaps left in the range with something playably consistent (ie. where we know roughly what it should be like, but GW doesn't sell it).

We'll just have to wait and see if they decide to try filling this particular gap.

Master Sheol
22-03-2014, 18:59
I can see GW taking CH on the court again For making a VSG...
GW: "I accuse CH to make a building similar to something we dont produce anymore"
Judge "I declare GW guilty of being dumb"
LOL Let put Kirby in retirement as soon as possibile please...

Zingraff
22-03-2014, 22:35
So who else are feeling a mixture of disappointment and relief from being unable to buy one now?

I certainly am.

When I first saw the leaked pictures of this model, I wasn't sold on it. I particularly didn't like the oversized, horizontal cogwheels, and I didn't see how I could possibly use this model for anything. On the other hand, as you know, it was going to be super-rare and not particularly expensive, so I had decided that I would buy one if it was available Friday night.

And now I will never own one, but I will never have to regret buying one either.

RevEv
22-03-2014, 22:40
Having seen the Void Shield Generator more clearly in pictures I'm glad I missed out.

Instead I'll be following the example of my local GW store and be making my own!

BigRob
22-03-2014, 22:49
I went into my local store and said "Wow that looks cool, is it plastic and will it fit in with the rest of the terrain"....."Nope, its resin, they only make 1000 and it sold out in 10 minutes" came the reply.

"Oh".....says I, "But why did they only make 1000?"......."So it sells out in 10 minutes and makes the company 65K"....came the response.

Shouldn't be too hard to put one together using left over plastic city terrain and some odds and ends.

Voss
22-03-2014, 23:23
So who else are feeling a mixture of disappointment and relief from being unable to buy one now?

Neither, just confusion. I can't figure out why this happened in any way at all. If I find old Matell Star Wars Hoth Rebel Energy Generators at a garage sale for $2, paint them up and pop them on the table as a VSG, I wouldn't expect anyone to argue the point. DYI terrain is a fundamental aspect of this game, and bizarro-land limited release out of stock before its on sale rubbish kits aren't going to change that, no matter how paranoid GW may or may not be about third party products.

Shibboleth
23-03-2014, 00:52
I don't understand the whole 'reserved against 3rd party copies' argument. There's nothing stopping any company producing something similar.
In fact the case against CH proved that.

Born Again
23-03-2014, 01:28
The VSG generator looks... not bad, but in no way impressive. I'm a little bit confused as to why it sold out within minutes while other limited releases, like special edition codexes, psychic cards etc can sit around on the store for weeks or months after release. It's a decent looking kit but in no way a "I must buy it now!" for me. I'm more interested in the craters, and glad they aren't limited release. They match in will with both the Wall of Martyrs and Battlescape pieces, have some small amount of customisation a look like a good update on the old Moonscape craters which, while good and perfectly serviceable, often had problems holding models on their longer, sloped sides. I'll be adding them to my 'to buy' list, albeit some way down.

Brother Hermiad
23-03-2014, 01:38
Its interesting seeing a number of official GW Store Facebook pages already posting WIP scratch builds using other kits and plasticard in place of the non event that was the VSG. Not having the ability to sell to customers who come in looking for one, the stores are doing the logical thing in showing how easy it is to build your own from other things. Not sure how well this would go down at corporate, especially when non-GW materials are also being used. But its refreshing to see store managers taking a lead and going back to the old days of scratch builds.

Kingly
23-03-2014, 01:43
I love the servitude attached to the base that's a great touch.

I'd have liked one but my mate managed to grab one so no biggie, love it.

ill just have to go with the craters.

IcedCrow
23-03-2014, 02:04
Thing sold out in under an hour. My GW store was supposed to get a few but we didn't get any as a bunch have been redirected. Supposedly (this is hearsay) some dude in Houston ordered 60 of them, I'm sure to flip for a magnitudes higher profit.

A guy I am buddies with drove around and snagged three of them and then flipped all three today and made $1000...

I wanted to snag one but won't be paying the ebay prices for them so the saw and glue will come out and I'll build my own.

MusingWarboss
23-03-2014, 02:18
Neither, just confusion. I can't figure out why this happened in any way at all. If I find old Matell Star Wars Hoth Rebel Energy Generators at a garage sale for $2, paint them up and pop them on the table as a VSG, I wouldn't expect anyone to argue the point. DYI terrain is a fundamental aspect of this game, and bizarro-land limited release out of stock before its on sale rubbish kits aren't going to change that, no matter how paranoid GW may or may not be about third party products.

Hoth Rebel Energy Generators...

Do you mean these:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130424003615/starwars/images/1/1c/PowerGenerator-TESB.png

Because if you do then Micro Arts Studio has these:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/generator-p-555.html

Though I prefer the Radar Station...

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/radar-station-p-556.html

Anyway, whatever chosen, a bit of kitbash a bit of scratch build and I think you could have something that looks like a Shield Generator.

Voss
23-03-2014, 02:24
Basically, yeah (though I wouldn't pay 22 Euros for one either). A force shield generator isn't exactly rare in sci-fi (or sci-fantasy as the case may be) You can find tons of stuff lying about that gets the point across and is suitably sized for a 40K tabletop.

MusingWarboss
23-03-2014, 02:35
Indeed Voss, just offering up an idea - I'd seen that Micro Arts one before and thought it looked familiar! then I checked and yep! Star Wars!!

They don't look too hard to knock up but as you say, a trip to Toys 'R' Us or any random old toy sale and you'd probably find something suitable. Actually there used to be a power station on TerraGenesis which was made from a scratch built bunker with golf balls on the top. Easy enough.

What's left in Stronghold Assault that's not out yet, the fuel lines?? Are we to expect a limited edition set of pipes and a storage tank from GW next month?

EDIT: Whilst we're here talking about AWESOME looking Shield Generators, go have a look at Bugbait's amazing energy generator here on Warseer and then whimper at how pathetic GWs own creation is.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52043

And now... With POWER!!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52071

Apocalypse 40k Terrain thread.

Geep
23-03-2014, 02:55
I was excited about those craters, but now that I've seen clear pictures I'm gonna pass. They really look like circular barricades - the ridges are too steep and they look like someone filled them in. Why can't they just make an urban version of moonscape?
I agree about the looks, but for gaming functionality I think the new craters may be an improvement. The moonscape craters have too much curve and too little grip (and if you add grip they lose all of the detail). Short, steep walls and a flat crater centre should reduce the models sliding into or off the crater and falling over.

forseer of fates
23-03-2014, 03:18
Im sure it will go down something like oh, did we say 1000, we found another few thousand over there.

The Emperor
23-03-2014, 03:29
A guy I am buddies with drove around and snagged three of them and then flipped all three today and made $1000...

I guess I won't ever have cause to regret the three I ordered from Australia. :p I thought I'd be better off being safe than sorry, but I doubt I'd ever really need more than two of them, and probably only one at most.

Inquisitor Samos
23-03-2014, 04:41
Having finally seen the actual WD with pics of the Void Shield Generator, I have to say I wouldn't have bought one even had I had the chance. The thing's just too over-the-top, even for my 40K grimdark-gothic Imperial sensibilities.

Losing Command
23-03-2014, 06:49
For a fortification I find it looks rather fragile. How is that thing suppose to survive even mass bolter fire once the voidshields are gone ? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have all the apparatus protected by some rockcrete walls ?

The craters look OK. The different colours used for walls and the floor of the craters don't do them justice I think.

Kingly
23-03-2014, 09:11
Still haven't seen anything from anyone that's even remotely detailed, I'd agree in making your own though and that Apoc one is genius.

stevegill
23-03-2014, 11:18
Having finally seen the actual WD with pics of the Void Shield Generator, I have to say I wouldn't have bought one even had I had the chance. The thing's just too over-the-top, even for my 40K grimdark-gothic Imperial sensibilities.

Whereas I thought it needed just a little extra gothic bling :D

The Dude
23-03-2014, 11:27
I suppose this is no longer rumour, so off to 40K General.

Starchild
24-03-2014, 02:13
I guess I won't ever have cause to regret the three I ordered from Australia. :p I thought I'd be better off being safe than sorry, but I doubt I'd ever really need more than two of them, and probably only one at most.

Great! You can sell one to me then! :D

Im sure it will go down something like oh, did we say 1000, we found another few thousand over there.

It may be a while before that happens, but based on the ultrafast advance order sell-out, GW may decide to produce this item in the future. This has happened in the past with certain Citadel models sold initially as limited edition, but re-released later on.

MagicHat
24-03-2014, 12:20
I'm a little bit confused as to why it sold out within minutes while other limited releases, like special edition codexes, psychic cards etc can sit around on the store for weeks or months after release.

One is a miniature that is not available as non-limited, the others are not really necessary (the cards) or available in non-limited form.

If they had released a non-limited, cheaper version and this one as more detailed, I doubt that it would have sold out as quickly.

Pssyche
24-03-2014, 13:04
This was inevitable.
An eBayer offering one for $500.

Parasites buying them up with the sole intention of profiteering.
Space Hulk 2009 all over again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Games-Workshop-Void-Shield-Generator-Warhammer-40k-/151260786824?pt=Games_US&hash=item2337d87088

I so hope it turns out that he/she is one of the buyers who misses out on the model from Games Workshop due to the oversubscription of the Void Shield Generator.

draccan
24-03-2014, 13:22
One can always hope that someone in China picks one up ;)

carldooley
24-03-2014, 13:56
funny no, that the model doesn't fit the description in the rules?

Pssyche
24-03-2014, 17:27
funny no, that the model doesn't fit the description in the rules?

In what way?

carldooley
24-03-2014, 20:47
In what way?

okay, you got me. I'm not getting my copies of Escalation or Stronghold Assault until Friday. but what I heard of the void shield generator was a structure with 3 towers and battlements. 4 and platforms, sorry isn't quite what I visualized. But then, the reason that I take a Fortress of Arrogance is the height advantage granted by the tower, which may just be a good enough stand in for the generator.

Archibald_TK
24-03-2014, 20:47
That thread was moved to General before the model was even released?

Anyway as I expected GW did not sell 1000 models just during the preorders. Thought I don't know how many, they kept a chunk of them available for stores to get their hands on. I ordered one without any problem today. So I'll advise people to check with their local stores that week before spending half a million dollars on eBay.

warlordbob
24-03-2014, 20:52
The voidshield generator is a medium sized impassable building with battlements, meaning units wishing to man the ramparts need to be able to physically reach them, as they cannot pass through the buildings interior. This means the Fortress of Redemption tower is to tall, unless you intend to use the middle sections including the battlement. The released kit, though not what anyone may have imagined, is about right for its description.

carldooley
24-03-2014, 21:03
The voidshield generator is a medium sized impassable building with battlements, meaning units wishing to man the ramparts need to be able to physically reach them, as they cannot pass through the buildings interior. This means the Fortress of Redemption tower is to tall, unless you intend to use the middle sections including the battlement. The released kit, though not what anyone may have imagined, is about right for its description.

when I play GK, I have Karadread deployed on the top. usually, when it is destroyed Karadread can afford the autowound when it crashes down into the ruin. as for the unit that Look out sir, well they are usually Hors de combat by that point. as for why, well I'm a fan of the Karadread bankshot (By Any Means Necessary + Flier).

IcedCrow
24-03-2014, 21:03
okay, you got me. I'm not getting my copies of Escalation or Stronghold Assault until Friday. but what I heard of the void shield generator was a structure with 3 towers and battlements. 4 and platforms, sorry isn't quite what I visualized. But then, the reason that I take a Fortress of Arrogance is the height advantage granted by the tower, which may just be a good enough stand in for the generator.

The description for void shield generator in Stronghold Assault doesn't list 3 towers and battlements. Someone got confused when they were talking to you. A void shield fortification can have 1-3 shield generators, which sounds like what they were describing to you and it got translated as a tower.

hobojebus
24-03-2014, 22:04
I saw in advance and had no interest, my mate warlord bob is already building his own version for 40 and will get a second building out of it, i think he has the right idea myself.

The Emperor
26-03-2014, 23:40
I got my e-mail delivery notifications for my two orders from GW Australia (two Void Shield Generators in the first order and one Void Shield Generator in the second), so thankfully my orders did go through. Someone mentioned earlier that GW took more orders than they had models and would end up cancelling orders, so that's a relief! :)

As for its appearance, all it says is that it's an Impassable Building with Battlements, nothing more. There's nothing about towers, number of towers, or anything of the sort.

IcedCrow
27-03-2014, 00:57
Congrats. Our store had 3 supposed to come but they were rerouted to texas to fill a guys 60 count order :shifty:

MusingWarboss
27-03-2014, 01:21
Congrats. Our store had 3 supposed to come but they were rerouted to texas to fill a guys 60 count order :shifty:

That's just wrong. Three should have been the maximum order amount per person. Sixty... Is he buying for his "club" (whose members are on eBay :shifty: )?

IcedCrow
27-03-2014, 01:22
Exactly ....

The Emperor
27-03-2014, 01:38

Wow, that's all kinds of messed up. :wtf: My FLGS is only getting one, but rather than putting it up for sale, they're going to make it part of a contest or a raffle prize or something like that.

gero_nz
27-03-2014, 01:41

What a joke, clearly exploiting GW's bad business to make some easy ebay money.

Of course, if I'd been in a position to do so I would have done the same to be honest - rubbish move by GW

hobojebus
27-03-2014, 02:15
Frankly I don't think it was worth 65, let alone the 300 eBay scalpers will ask.

Do what warlordbobs doing and make your own, I'm pretty sure we can find some sonic screwdrivers and a few cogs for under 65.

Importman
27-03-2014, 03:36
Didn't want one to begin with. Not with that price tag. I guess I will never see one now that they are allegedly selling for big bucks on eBay.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

IcedCrow
27-03-2014, 03:52
They are selling huge on ebay for $500.

Capitalism - working as intended.

Tyrelli
27-03-2014, 13:09
I sent an email to GW saying congrats on selling them all but I missed out any chance of a rerun or a plastic kit as you (GW) has the mould set up ..

There response

Hi
Thanks for the email, apologies for the delay in reply, we have seen an increase in number of calls and emails and are currently working through our emails.
We are sorry to hear that the Void Shield Generator sold out before you were able to purchase one. Unfortunately the model was a limited production run, but as it has clearly been very popular. We will pass the request on to the correct area of the business.
Once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So they clearly are aware of the demand .. watch this space I guess

Importman
27-03-2014, 13:13
I sent an email to GW saying congrats on selling them all but I missed out any chance of a rerun or a plastic kit as you (GW) has the mould set up ..

There response

Hi
Thanks for the email, apologies for the delay in reply, we have seen an increase in number of calls and emails and are currently working through our emails.
We are sorry to hear that the Void Shield Generator sold out before you were able to purchase one. Unfortunately the model was a limited production run, but as it has clearly been very popular. We will pass the request on to the correct area of the business.
Once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So they clearly are aware of the demand .. watch this space I guess

Now GW will go for void shield generator II with minor modifications and selling them for limited run again for huge profit.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

hobojebus
27-03-2014, 13:14

I could buy a pair of titans for that...madness!

IcedCrow
27-03-2014, 13:25
A pair of titans for $500? lol hook me up I'd like a pair of titans for that :D

Voss
27-03-2014, 13:50

Always disturbing when that happens.

Sent without a trace of irony whilst waiting around the Harvard business school

Archibald_TK
27-03-2014, 22:56
The model arrived at our shop today. I was surprised by how heavy the thing is.

Box is numbered. The back of the box shows a complete Shield Relay, with pipes linking them (apparently the "leaked" Prometheum Pipes pic comes from there).

Hawkkf
28-03-2014, 07:38
Does the picture of the Shield relay look identical to the actual model or are there subtle differences hinting at it being a plastic version? I suspect as I have from the beginning that the limited nature of the vs generator kit meant only limited run. Thier next trick will be to sell the full shield array in limited numbers. With this only 1000 stunt, a limited full vs array should sell out even in decent quantities as they have scared the customer base into thinking if they dont jump on the next opppourtunity to get one, they wont get another chance.

nosebiter
28-03-2014, 08:58

This is the only problem i have with what's happened. They have a magazine advertising a product that no one reading has any chance of buying now. They should have put it up for pre-order today. The exact same rapid selling would have happened, but at least White Dwarf Weekly readers would have had a (very very slim) chance of getting one.

Still possible for someone to make a sci fi shield generator model, as long as they dont use the same name as GW does.

It is a generic scifi trope. Just leave out the mechanicum symbol and they can make it gothic-y looking.

Archibald_TK
28-03-2014, 10:28
Does the picture of the Shield relay look identical to the actual model or are there subtle differences hinting at it being a plastic version? I suspect as I have from the beginning that the limited nature of the vs generator kit meant only limited run. Thier next trick will be to sell the full shield array in limited numbers. With this only 1000 stunt, a limited full vs array should sell out even in decent quantities as they have scared the customer base into thinking if they dont jump on the next opppourtunity to get one, they wont get another chance.
Well I didn't really spend time sitting and carefully analyzing the pic, I'll do it later but I don't remember anything odd when looking at it. I also, contrary to what people have been hoping since now, don't believe that GW intend to release that model in plastic. The 40K Forest has disappeared from the range, the Skyshield went direct only, the WFB range of scenery is being ravaged, scenery are not having a happy time with GW currently... so outside of the Craters replacement I don't expect to see a lot of plastic scenery kits in the future.

The full array with the pipes as a limited release could be a possibility on the other hand, as I don't really see how GW could sell the pipes alone (they are far from exciting quite frankly.. as much as a pipes can be). But considering the price it would reach I don't know if it's actually viable.

superdupermatt
28-03-2014, 10:55
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/a9e3ahym.jpg
The above is on GW Cwmbran's Facebook page, they're already pushing alternative builds! Awkward.

lobbywatson
31-03-2014, 23:07
So I picked up my VSG today from my FLGS. I see they are going for 300-400 on eBay. I am torn about selling it. I actually like it and don't need the money. Yet at heart I am always looking to profit from stuff I buy. Thing is if I keep it Im going to open it and use it. Ruining the value of the VSG. Torn I tell you.
BTW I'm new here I was active on another forum but the negativity drove me away. So hi all!!

40k Eldar WFB Beastmen

MajorWesJanson
31-03-2014, 23:28
So I picked up my VSG today from my FLGS. I see they are going for 300-400 on eBay. I am torn about selling it. I actually like it and don't need the money. Yet at heart I am always looking to profit from stuff I buy. Thing is if I keep it Im going to open it and use it. Ruining the value of the VSG. Torn I tell you.
BTW I'm new here I was active on another forum but the negativity drove me away. So hi all!!

40k Eldar WFB Beastmen

Well, the question is do you think you will get more satisfaction out of owning and using a relatively rare model, or from several hundred dollars of something else?

And welcome. Was it dakkadakka? That place is coming close to imploding into an Eye of Sarcasm and Negativity these days.

lobbywatson
31-03-2014, 23:42
Good point. It would be nice to show up at an event with a VSG all done up.
Yes it was. I didn't want to name it but that place has become toxic. I just had to walk away.
Thanks for the insight though. It may sound asinine but it will be nice to have a "real" VSG.

40k Eldar WFB Beastmen

MusingWarboss
01-04-2014, 00:29
Good point. It would be nice to show up at an event with a VSG all done up.
Yes it was. I didn't want to name it but that place has become toxic. I just had to walk away.
Thanks for the insight though. It may sound asinine but it will be nice to have a "real" VSG.

40k Eldar WFB Beastmen

You brought it because you liked it, right? Then use it and get your full enjoyment out of it! :D

It'll still be one of 1000 if you ever decide to sell it in the future, perhaps not in mint condition but then that's probably the vast majority of stuff on eBay and it sells well enough there!

If you love it, take care of it (and keep the box with its number on) then it'll probably get a reasonable price in the future. Can't guarantee it'll be at the heights it is at the moment or that you'll even make your money back but if you've had your fun from it, does that really matter??

Welcome to Warseer! :)

Surgency
01-04-2014, 00:58

Well, if it was a San Antonio or Austin store, you can thank the BoLS guys for that. If it was a Houston store it's payback for not getting any of our Tau product :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MajorWesJanson
01-04-2014, 02:55
Well, if it was a San Antonio or Austin store, you can thank the BoLS guys for that. If it was a Houston store it's payback for not getting any of our Tau product :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

They really should have done 1 to each order, then fill in multiples. Someone buying 60 may bring in a lot of money, but it seems like an obvious e-bay scalper.

hobojebus
01-04-2014, 13:57
They really should have done 1 to each order, then fill in multiples. Someone buying 60 may bring in a lot of money, but it seems like an obvious e-bay scalper.

He's trying to sell them for $500 each I've been told, if I ever find someone who's paid that I'll sell them a nice bridge in Florida.

The Emperor
01-04-2014, 16:06
Well, I just got mine from Australia. :)

Officially they're #979, #984, and #987 of 1000.

draccan
01-04-2014, 16:13
Wow you are SO lucky! Honestly!
Gratz!

draccan
01-04-2014, 16:16
He's trying to sell them for $500 each I've been told, if I ever find someone who's paid that I'll sell them a nice bridge in Florida.

Sad thing is that if he has 60 it will stay on Ebay for a long time and drive prices up.

Oh well - c'est la vie! :p

lethlis
01-04-2014, 16:22
That is a pretty sexy void shield battery mock up.

Sadly the components cost more than the official one, but I am sure I could make something with the stuff I got lying around.

Necron bits are fantastic for things like this.

lobbywatson
01-04-2014, 23:53
Its green... Doesn't need cleaned at all. Its 10 pieces. Easy to assemble. I didn't glue mine yet for painting reasons. I'm glad I kept it.

MusingWarboss
02-04-2014, 01:01
It looks better in the green than GWs painted version!! Like its covered in verdigris.

lobbywatson
02-04-2014, 13:45
It really is a beautiful sculpt. I think the paint job in WD weekly didn't do it justice. That happens though. When I first saw the Taurox in that blue/teal I was mortified. However in the green its not bad.

Pssyche
02-04-2014, 23:45
Hoth Rebel Energy Generators...

Do you mean these:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130424003615/starwars/images/1/1c/PowerGenerator-TESB.png

Because if you do then Micro Arts Studio has these:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/generator-p-555.html

Though I prefer the Radar Station...

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/radar-station-p-556.html

Anyway, whatever chosen, a bit of kitbash a bit of scratch build and I think you could have something that looks like a Shield Generator.

Just thought I'd add to this.

I've bought two different types of Generators with the Hoth Shield Generators in mind and thought the difference in scale deserved displaying.
The larger, painted ones are the Micro Arts Studios Generators.
They come as a singe Generator with a Control Panel.
The smaller, white basecoated ones are from Secret Weapons Miniatures.
They come as either a single Generator with a Control Panel or as two Generators.

I've included a picture of two Micro Arts and three Secret Weapons Generators c/w Control Panels with a Wraithseer in the middle to illustrate the difference in scale.

carldooley
03-04-2014, 23:25
consider getting a fuel filter and cutting it in half.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
03-04-2014, 23:45
Just thought I'd add to this.

I've bought two different types of Generators with the Hoth Shield Generators in mind and thought the difference in scale deserved displaying.
The larger, painted ones are the Micro Arts Studios Generators.
They come as a singe Generator with a Control Panel.
The smaller, white basecoated ones are from Secret Weapons Miniatures.
They come as either a single Generator with a Control Panel or as two Generators.

I've included a picture of two Micro Arts and three Secret Weapons Generators c/w Control Panels with a Wraithseer in the middle to illustrate the difference in scale.

Quantum Gothic did a really nice set of interlinking Hoth style shield generators. Hopefully they might reopen the store some day so I could get some.

Personally I think the GW limited VSG is an abomination and frankly a total abortion. It is horrible. I'm not Sure what Dave Andrews was thinking when he came up with that. Ie I'm not buying the story in the last white dwarf. It just looks awful and I don't say that about GW models very often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmKhaibitu
06-04-2014, 17:04
The green certainly provides a much nicer contrast for sure.

MusingWarboss
06-04-2014, 20:52
I'm not Sure what Dave Andrews was thinking when he came up with that. Ie I'm not buying the story in the last white dwarf. It just looks awful and I don't say that about GW models very often.

What was this story? The one thing I'm not buying at the moment is the WD to find out! ;)