PDA

View Full Version : High elf army in manageable chunks...

Generaloftheabyss
18-03-2014, 19:59
Howdy folks , I had recently been made aware of a cool website which helps with advice on how to expand a Wood elf army , starting with a single battalion box. In the comments section someone mentioned that there is a similar resource for High elf players - the thread was a little dated so couldn't garner any info on it from there , and my google-fu has failed me. Anyone know where i could find this resource? or anything which deals with working upon the IoB set? Thanks!

NemoSD
19-03-2014, 03:32
Howdy folks , I had recently been made aware of a cool website which helps with advice on how to expand a Wood elf army , starting with a single battalion box. In the comments section someone mentioned that there is a similar resource for High elf players - the thread was a little dated so couldn't garner any info on it from there , and my google-fu has failed me. Anyone know where i could find this resource? or anything which deals with working upon the IoB set? Thanks!

It is tough to make a guide for High Elves because we, like Empire, have a LOT of directions we can go. We can put up a decent, not the best, shooting force. We can field a really good Cav force, and we can probably do some of the best elite infantry in the game with a clever player. First step is to figure out the direction and then follow go from there.

SSquirrel
19-03-2014, 05:47
Battalion and IoB have zero overlap so u have to decide which set of units u would rather build on. The chariot in the battalion is essentially free

NemoSD
19-03-2014, 06:37
Battalion and IoB have zero overlap so u have to decide which set of units u would rather build on. The chariot in the battalion is essentially free

Chariot is nice to have, but is often cannon bait, but if you can hide it in deployment, and run it up a flank, you can do some good. If you go with the lion variant at each. With the Tiranoc, you have to be more careful, but it can rank up, and I have been having some luck with a three chariot group. It is disgusting when it hits, and not that much of a point sink.

Kingly
19-03-2014, 07:24
Yea agreed at 70 points it's a steal, shame it's out of Special as that's a slot used quickly for Swordmasters/lions/Phoenix guard. Ulthuan.net is a great place to start

NemoSD
19-03-2014, 08:06
Yea agreed at 70 points it's a steal, shame it's out of Special as that's a slot used quickly for Swordmasters/lions/Phoenix guard. Ulthuan.net is a great place to start

What I do is buy 2, and then stick a noble/mage in another one, giving me three, better leadership, and more points in special. Also you can be sneaky and sneak a BSB onto the noble and give the chariots a Ranger's Standard. If you are playing with sealed lists, they will be EXTREMELY surprised when you charge through a forest into their face :-p

Importman
19-03-2014, 08:52

Ulthuan.net have helped me a lot too and I am still leaning to play HE. The battalion is a nice addition to IoB but the spears and bows are somewhat dated looking next to your IoB miniatures. Plus there is always the power gamer who would argue against Seaguard versus spears and bows. But as a noob I love my seaguards because they give me that flexibility of being able to both shoot and fight if I screwed up a bit on movement.
As for specials I love my msu swordmasters for that sacrificial throwaway glass cannon effect versus making a mistake and losing a whole large unit of lions or phoenix (although this happens less often with phoenix I suppose) will make you cry. Again there is the whole debate over on Ulthuan.net with lions vs phoenix so you can go and take a look and decide for yourself.
Reavers are good and eagles are great. And you really can't go wrong with both flamespyre and/or frostheart depending on your play style.
Can't say much about elven chariots because I have never played them but if you need chariots in fantasy then is generally better to take multiples to make them work.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

cptcosmic
19-03-2014, 10:07
IOB is your best bet if you want HE in manageable chunks.

3 IOB sets, 2 skycutters and 2 repeating bolt throwers will give you a nice looking themed 2000 points army:
archmage lvl4
bsb on griffon
25 LSG with full command
2x5 reavers with bows
2x15 swordmasters with full command
2 skycutters with bolt throwers
2 repeating bolt throwers

the models in the IOB set are very good looking and easy to assemble and very good value for the money. do not buy everything at once, just get one IOB set and the armybook first, get familiar with the rules and army, paint the HE units and if you still like it afterwards get the next IOB box... sell everything else in the box that you do not need/want to save money or keep it and make skaven your secondary army.

SuperHappyTime
19-03-2014, 19:37

I assume you mean this http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25574 regarding the Wood Elves. I don't think there is anything else that even comes to this "cookie-cutter" army builder.

I believe http://www.ulthuan.net/library/warfare/army_lists/250-to-2250.html might be close to what you are looking for (or rather, its what you are being referenced to). It was written by someone who has played High Elves for a long time (Big +). It was also designed for people who have played HEs long enough to have a decent sized collection, which may not suit your desire for budget building.

Best of luck in your quest.

Anihilator
19-03-2014, 19:48
Just putting it out there that phoenixes (flamespyre especially) are cheap (not cheap, but good value) in both respects.

Generaloftheabyss
19-03-2014, 22:31
Thanks for all the responses! you guys are fantastic. I will be reading up on the material provided. IoB looks like where il start and il try work towards 2k from there.

Laniston
20-03-2014, 05:43
What I do is buy 2, and then stick a noble/mage in another one, giving me three, better leadership, and more points in special. Also you can be sneaky and sneak a BSB onto the noble and give the chariots a Ranger's Standard. If you are playing with sealed lists, they will be EXTREMELY surprised when you charge through a forest into their face :-p

As far as I know characters in a chariot cannot join a chariot unit. Tomb Kings have a printed exception but otherwise no.

NemoSD
20-03-2014, 06:26
As far as I know characters in a chariot cannot join a chariot unit. Tomb Kings have a printed exception but otherwise no.

Most chariots can not rank up, a character can join any unit that has ranks. What stopped them from joining chariots before is a character can not join a single model.

Anihilator
20-03-2014, 08:11
Lots of Lords have the option to be mounted on a chariot.

cptcosmic
20-03-2014, 09:34
Most chariots can not rank up, a character can join any unit that has ranks. What stopped them from joining chariots before is a character can not join a single model.
so, can a noble on a chariot join a tiranoc chariot unit? I always assumed he can't.

jtrowell
20-03-2014, 09:38

Not, I'm almost sure that there is a rule saying that characters cannot join chariots, I don't have the rulebook with me so I cannot check, but it's probably in the chariot unit type description, or maybe in the general character rules.

And yes Tomb Kings have a special rule allowing their characters to join chariots units when themselves on a chariot, and another rule allowing them to still be in the unit should their chariot be destroyed (they will be on foot, but still in the unit).

This has nothing to do with the fact that chariots are usually lone models units, gobs chariots have been able to form units of up to 3 model since the 8th edition O&G army book and they don't have the same exception so cannot join characters.

Ratbeast
22-03-2014, 06:06
HIGH ELVES..... if you take the banner of the world dragon, be ashamed lol I cant believe how uber powerful it is.......... face demons, just laugh at them, face wood elves, just laugh at the forest spirits, disgusting banner!!!!!!!!