PDA

View Full Version : question about gyro bombers

Deadboytat2
19-03-2014, 21:47
Ok so I had this come up in a game and did not know how to handle it but it seemed wrong at the time and I want to know what the general opinion or rule is on it.

So I was facing off vs a Dwarf army. I moved up the table 18 inches away from his gyro bombers. On his next turn he moved up the field and moved 18.5 inches over my unit then the other 1.5 inches backwards. This was his "move over my unit." So that he could drop the bomb centered on my unit.

I did not dispute it because I could not see anything in the gyro bombers rules that prohibit it. As it just states mover over and then clear says place the template anywhere over that unit.

But is that right? It seems wrong to me. Now I do not have my book with me or on me so I cant look. But if people can prove it does or does not and list a page for me to look up when I do get home that would be awesome.

Thanks

HurrDurr
19-03-2014, 22:08
I knew this thread was waiting to happen the moment I read the rule from leaked pictures. From what I remember the rule allows you to choose the spot anywhere over the unit, that means even placing it over a corner to hit a lone wizard next to the unit or placing it over characters within the unit to fish for Lookout-Bro rolls. The part my memory is most fuzzy on is whether it tells you that the center of the blast has to be placed over the unit. Personally I wouldn't go that far with stretching the rule but it may be open to that abuse.

Malagor
19-03-2014, 22:12
Yes the book says that you can place the template anywhere over the unit.

theunwantedbeing
19-03-2014, 22:16
Well it's illegal as moving backwards is at half rate.
He'de only have been able to move 0.75" backwards.

That being said, he can pivot on the spot as much and often as he likes.
So he can move 18.5" forwards, pivot 180 degrees and move forwards 1.5" and then pivoting 180 degrees again.
In effect, moving forwards 18.5" and then backwards 1.5".

As for whether it counts as moving over.
It does, because he did move over the unit, albeit briefly.

dwarfhold13
19-03-2014, 22:57
wait wait wait.. you mean he moved the bomber to the middle of the unit, then back off of it? I'm assuming to stay out of the arc of the unit? Something seems a little fishy on this to me. I would almost assume that a pivot would still have to take place after you are in the clear and at least 1" away from anything else on the table... It seems like even with flyers that to make any kind of move over a unit shouldn't happen. To move to the unit then back off just doesn't seem right, or at least not in the good spirit of the game.

Ramius4
20-03-2014, 00:17
While I don't see anything wrong with the movement part, I don't feel that a person should be allowed to play the template in a spot that isn't along their movement path.

It's allowed according to the way the Gyrobomber rules read though. That's just not the way I'll be playing it.

Clowater
20-03-2014, 00:35
So he Marched 18.5 Inches. Then Went backwards?

By the rules you cannot march Backwards

and honestly its kinda a given that if you don't actually change position, then you actually haven't moved. Its why in 40k you couldn't have vehicles "drive in circles" to count as moving at X Speed.

One could even argue that he couldn't hover over the unit to begin to move backwards.

I only consider it a move when I can measure it.

BattleofLund
20-03-2014, 01:07
That being said, he can pivot on the spot as much and often as he likes.
So he can move 18.5" forwards, pivot 180 degrees and move forwards 1.5" and then pivoting 180 degrees again.
In effect, moving forwards 18.5" and then backwards 1.5".

As for whether it counts as moving over.
It does, because he did move over the unit, albeit briefly.

So he Marched 18.5 Inches. Then Went backwards?

By the rules you cannot march Backwards

and honestly its kinda a given that if you don't actually change position, then you actually haven't moved. Its why in 40k you couldn't have vehicles "drive in circles" to count as moving at X Speed.

One could even argue that he couldn't hover over the unit to begin to move backwards.

I only consider it a move when I can measure it.

Can't say I like it either; I've been repeatedly facing Flamespyre Fenixes that do this. However, I've grown to accept the ******tery (sp?) of my opponents. It looks legal, and it's not worth the cost of a double homicide.

thesoundofmusica
20-03-2014, 06:41
Nothing illegal or fishy about the movement. It just doesnt happen that often so people automatically feel something weird just happened or they got cheated somehow. Its like when I sometimes say "my screamers fly to the middle of that unit and back again" without picking them up people go "wait wait wait what?" but if I actually pick them up and make the move they say "yeah alright that makes sense". Assuming of course like TUB said that he flew 18,5 then turned and flew another 1,5 since he cannot move backwards at the same speed. However there is no restriction at all on the direction he decides to go after pivoting.

The rule in the dwarf book says "place anywhere over the target unit and roll for scatter and damage as for a stone thrower from the warhammer rulebook".
Does this mean
A) Place, scatter, and damage like a stone thrower
Or
B) Place. Then scatter and damage like a stone thrower.

I think its A and will be playing it such.

BattleofLund
22-03-2014, 11:00
The rule in the dwarf book says "place anywhere over the target unit and roll for scatter and damage as for a stone thrower from the warhammer rulebook".
Does this mean
A) Place, scatter, and damage like a stone thrower
Or
B) Place. Then scatter and damage like a stone thrower.

I think its A and will be playing it such.

(After 30 secs of 'huh what?')

So you mean that B) would allow non-base-centric placement of the template? Or what am I missing? No, I don't think that's the most practical either, since 'damage like a stone thrower' needs a central target for the hard damage.

Hoffa
22-03-2014, 12:40
I don't get the difference either.

thesoundofmusica
22-03-2014, 18:25
The difference is
A) place like a stone thrower; center over a model.
B) place anywhere; just have the template touch the edge of a unit for whatever purpose.

Not the most practical but could perhaps be abused to center the template over something you couldnt otherwise reach.

dwarfhold13
23-03-2014, 04:19
Then why not just fly over the model you were trying to hit in the first place? I don't think the rule being used in that way breaks the thing. In the tournament situation I usually play in, I don't even expect to really see a lot of the bombers anyway.

thesoundofmusica
23-03-2014, 06:40
Then why not just fly over the model you were trying to hit in the first place?

Perhaps you couldnt reach it? Not sure if you're serious.