PDA

View Full Version : Best squad for Dante? Opinions or tactics.

abogus1
21-03-2014, 19:21
So, Dante is arguably one of, if not the best Blood Angels HQ, what with his ability to not scatter, then hit and run later. Usually, the question is what to drop with him. I was wondering how you guys would normally run him. For now I've put him with a melta-guard, and it's amusing how people react.

JPThunda
21-03-2014, 19:29
A friend of mine runs Blood Angels and I helped him build his list. He has been running it, as you do, with a unit of 5 Infernus Pistol Sanguinary Guard and a Sanguinary Priest, sometimes with his own Infernus Pistol. Anathema to tanks, knights, and armor of any description, and still nasty in close combat. We tried running him in an Assault Squad, but it just didn't have the same effect, though playing a game against a horde army and dropping Dante + 10 Assault Marines with 2x Flamers and a Sergeant with 2x Hand Flamers and a Sanguinary Priest with a Hand Flamer or 2 could be suitably amusing.

Sotek
21-03-2014, 19:37
Sanguinary Guard with attached Sanguinary Priest without a doubt - his precise dropping means that their melta pistols can be within range, with pre-measuring its 100% guaranteed.

Sir Didymus
21-03-2014, 19:51
​30 death company

duffybear1988
21-03-2014, 20:12
​30 death company

I like your style.

zoodog
21-03-2014, 20:33
The melta honor guard (or even flamer honor guard) are also a good choice, though not as impressive in CC

Chem-Dog
22-03-2014, 05:45
Sanguinary Guard are the most complimentary to Dante's strengths and benefit a lot from his abilities.
The fact that Dante makes SG count as troops, and therefore makes them a scoring unit is, perhaps, the biggest boon, dropping a jump infantry scoring unit exactly where you want it is always interesting, one that has teeth in both the shooting and combat phase doubly so. it also frees up the Elites slots for other stuff like Sanguinary priests and Chaplains.....

Adding another IC to the squad is the next step to building a Deathstar unit when tacking it on to a 200+ points squad and an equally expensive Army Commander. But they do open up some options. Firstly it gives you options for accepting Challenges, it also gives you the chance to play with Glorious Interventions.
Chaplains bring Fearless (nobody wants their superhero Chapter Master rendered useless and vulnerable for a turn because of a bad Ld roll against Fear causing units). They also bring Litanies of Blood to help make the best of the squad's attacks on the charge. Accept a challenge with a Chaplain for S6 hits in hope of scoring that concussive hit then GI Dante (or another) in to make the most of fighting an I1 challenger in the next combat turn. 4++ is always handy for giving the unit a little more resilience.

Sanguinary High Priests. FNP is handy for shrugging off those weight of fire wounds that can strip a SG unit of it's men but the SHP is no slouch in a fight, Ws5 and armed with a Power Axe he can be a peril for non challengers, keep him at the back of the unit and have him step forward at I step 1, If there's anything left to kill, S5AP2 will help.

The Librarian. OK, he's an HQ not an Elite, but he brings a few interesting options, A Psychic Hood in the centre of a deadly Melee unit will help defend against enemy Mind Bullets which often do nasty things like cause wounds with no saves or debuff a unit at a critical moment. Then obviously he brings his own Mind Bullets, there are no shortage of powers which will help the Librarian himself become more potent but he'll be much more useful bringing buffs to the unit, too many here to break down, but apart from Telekinesis each of the Disciplines he's allowed offer a couple of really useful Blessings that affect a Psyker and the squad they accompany. Alternatively there are some solid choices in the BA's own list (Might of Heroes and Unleash Rage are two perennial favourites) which allow you to decide exactly how your Libby will influence the fight.

Not necessarily advocating including all of these in one go (which would cost something in the region of 650-700 points) but each offers something that makes Dante and his followers even more potents, helps mitigate their deficiencies or counteract enemy advantages. If you did clump them all together in one squad, the Chapter Banner will pay for itself very quickly indeed.

Camman1984
22-03-2014, 10:34
The chaplain seems over costed in my book, rerolls are great (but probably overkill) but fearless on a unit with ATSKNF and leadership 10 doesnt seem that useful, you ignore fear causing units and if you do run away, you regroup automatically. I would rather spend the points on some more numbers as dante and guard with priest will eat points fast.

Chem-Dog
23-03-2014, 15:03
The chaplain seems over costed in my book, rerolls are great (but probably overkill) but fearless on a unit with ATSKNF and leadership 10 doesnt seem that useful, you ignore fear causing units and if you do run away, you regroup automatically. I would rather spend the points on some more numbers as dante and guard with priest will eat points fast.

Fair comment, I did forget ATSKNF has immunity to Fear tacked on to it, but I'd still rate universal re-rolls on the charge for what are unfortunately Ws4 models. Hit and run means you'll be getting the boost more often than not. and with such a small unit, Overkill is the way to keep them alive.

Camman1984
23-03-2014, 16:55
Overkill will get them killed, if you charge in and kill the enemy in your turn the enemy will see how dangerous you are and react accordingly by pouring fire into you and moving to react. If you charge in, kill most of them, but not all, you are immune from enemy fire and can hit and run at the end their turn to charge in your own :)

Sir Didymus
23-03-2014, 17:47
I like your style.

Thank you :)

Silversage
23-03-2014, 20:05
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Sanguinary Guard. Really overpriced for what they do, although much of the BA codex is overpriced nowadays. Also, with the rules as they are right now, I'd personally rate Mephiston over Dante any day. Dante just doesn't cut it for me, his axe being one of the biggest letdowns in the whole game. If you really want to field Dante, I might go with Honour Guard instead of Sanguinary Guard.

EDIT: Or a crapload of Death Company, that might be hilarious xD