PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Grand Army

Anihilator
22-03-2014, 06:57
Hey there, firstly I would like to say that I have a lot of flexibility for models, so if there are any flaws, I would appreciate someone pointing them out. Anyways.

-----------------------------

General:

Tyrion: 410

Lords:

Archmage + extra level + armour of caledor in a tiranoc: 340

Core:

20 sea guard, full command and shields: 270
15 silver helms, full command, shields: 365
10 spearmen, standard bearer and lichebone pennant: 115

Special:

15 swordmasters, full command, banner of world dragon: 225
10 swordmasters, full command, Bladelord has spellstealing sword: 185
10 shadow warriors, shadow walker, sword of battle: 160
10 Phoenix guard, full command: 180

Rare:

Flamespyre Phoenix: 225
6 eagle claw bolt throwers (in 6 seperate units): 420
5 maiden guard, high sister, reaver bow: 105

Total:

Anihilator
22-03-2014, 06:58
By full command I mean Standard bearer, champion and musician.

Knifeparty
23-03-2014, 14:52
To start off I don't think Tyrion is worth his points and I think you could drop him for a better Prince for half the cost.

You also don't have a Battle standard bearer which is pretty essential. I would definitely get one of those.

Mages can't have magic armour because they don't have access to mundane armour. So that Armour of Caledor is illegal, I also think putting a lone mage on a Chariot is absolute suicide. He will die by turn 2 against any good player with an ounce of common sense. Just give him the Book of Hoeth and the Talisman of Preservation and put him in with the sea guard.

The 10 Spearmen are doing literally nothing, they have no shooting to support anyone, and as soon as the touch combat they will die. Drop those 10 and make them sea guard, that way you have 30 sea guard which can fire arrows in 3 ranks, and then reform into 5x6 ranks when they get into combat to support one of the combat blocks.

Have you given any thought to Elyrion Reavers or Great Eagles? They are absolutely amazing and beyond 10 Shadow Warriors you don't have any bait/flee/re-director/warmachine hunting units. I think buying at least 2 units of Reavers would help you out a lot.

15 sword masters are good, I would drop 1 and make it 14 and run them 7x2 to maximize attacks. With 3 ranks of 5 you're only getting 21 attacks with the champion, with 7x2 your getting 22 and the unit is cheaper. You don't get the extra rank, but lets be honest if there is any enemies left after the sword masters have attacked, you are loosing at least 1 guy so the rank bonus won't matter anyway.

The 10 Swordmasters, again just make them 14. Please drop the magic weapon on the champion it's a super big waste of 25 points that literally will do nothing in a game. Why would you try to take a mage's magic levels away when you can just kill it?

Shadow Warriors. I would split them into 2 units of 5. 10 is kind of unwieldy for a skirmisher unit. Again drop the magic weapon, its a waste of points when it's not on a hero.

Phoenix Guard are great, but 10 is too small, you need at least 21; so 3 ranks of 7. Phoenix Guard are an anvil unit, you buy them because they can stand up to a lot of punishment, when you only have 10 bodies they stop being an anvil because it's not that hard to kill 10 of these guys even with a 4+ ward save. You need more of them to be effective, or just drop them all together.

Flamespyer Phoenix is ok, but honestly I've never seen anyone use one because the Frost Phoenix is a thousand times better than the fire phoenix. The Frost Phoenix just doesn't die, its such a pain in the ass.

Bolt Throwers are really effective. That being said, I think 4 is more than enough because I don't think that you will have enough room on the table to be able to draw line of sight to what you want to hit with that many models on the table. I think there becomes a point where more stops being effective and starts hindering you. You won't be able to defend all 6 from war machine hunters, and you won't be able to draw line of sight through your own battle line.

Maiden Guard are fine, the Reaver bow is ok here. I would prefer the reaver bow on a noble with the potion of strength on a Great Eagle. So he can fly around shooting and then he takes the potion of strength and can fire at strength 8 that turn.

I hope that helps. Again it's your army not mine so take what you like, all I can do is suggest things from my experience.

SteveW
24-03-2014, 06:01
Hey there, firstly I would like to say that I have a lot of flexibility for models, so if there are any flaws, I would appreciate someone pointing them out. Anyways.

-----------------------------

General:

Tyrion: 410 Not worth his points

Lords:

Archmage + extra level + armour of caledor in a tiranoc: 340 Illegal build, if you cannot chose mundane items you can't buy their magical equivalent.

Core:

20 sea guard, full command and shields: 270
15 silver helms, full command, shields: 365
10 spearmen, standard bearer and lichebone pennant: 115 I love sea guard, but 20 at 3k points is really small and the only role they could be used for is watchtower starting unit.

Special:

15 swordmasters, full command, banner of world dragon: 225
10 swordmasters, full command, Bladelord has spellstealing sword: 185
10 shadow warriors, shadow walker, sword of battle: 160
10 Phoenix guard, full command: 180 I don't have any clue what you would have 10 swordmasters for, 10 peasant bowmen can kill them pretty easily. So roll all 35 special combat guys into one unit so they can take a beating.

Rare:

Flamespyre Phoenix: 225
6 eagle claw bolt throwers (in 6 seperate units): 420
5 maiden guard, high sister, reaver bow: 105

Total:

Yes! to the bolt throwers.

Maiden guard are not actually a unit, I'm sure you mean Sisters of Avelorn but 5 of them are useless.

My assessment of the army would be that it has no combat blocks or monsters and has to hope it's bolt throwers kill literally everything.

Vulgarsty
25-03-2014, 23:39
It is an unusual list. All the advice I think is good. I am interested in the rationale behind some of your choices particularly the mage in chariot and the 10 spearmen.