PDA

View Full Version : What do i need?

jprp
23-03-2014, 19:40
I picked up a bargain hard back of War of the Ring do i need any other books?

Garoth
23-03-2014, 20:13
Not really. It contains everything you need to play War of the Ring game. There is one supplement for that game (Battlehosts), but it is not essential to the game.

jprp
24-03-2014, 00:29
Not really. It contains everything you need to play War of the Ring game. There is one supplement for that game (Battlehosts), but it is not essential to the game.

So whats in it then? New troops or just scenarios etc?

ForgottenLore
24-03-2014, 06:46
Battlehosts includes groups of formations that are thematically linked. You buy all the formations that are needed for the 'host, add an additional cost, and all the formations in the 'host gain some sort of special abilities or rules. The book was considered pretty underwhelming by most players when it came out. There are a couple battlehosts that are broken powerful, a couple that address significant weaknesses in their army, and then most of the are pretty meh.

To answer your original question, the main rulebook is really the only book you need. You also need movement trays for your figs; GW's, 3rd party or home made, and lots of figs. War of the Ring is a good game, but it is meant for really big battles with hundreds of figures.

Also, when I was playing regularly, I found that the game played much better if we used a bigger table than we normally would have for a different game with the same size armies. It has been a while now, but I think 2000 point armies were about average for us and I found a 6'x8' table was not too big.

jprp
24-03-2014, 13:40
Ok thanks, i have a lot of models as i have a massive whfb O&G army that contains probably 250+ LOTR orc models (pluse a few units of older orc models by various manufacturers that dont scale to ridiculus size) and 40+ trolls (not lotr) also lots of undead and a fair few historical humans, plus i won an e-bay for a mixed lot of 200+ lotr minis a few weeks ago that have yet to be "processed". I always play big games if i can, i aquired the Fellowship and Rotk versions of the skirmish game but have never used them but WOTR has to be given a go.