PDA

View Full Version : What do you think are GW's plans for Time of Ending?

The Emperor
24-03-2014, 00:53
Do you think GW's going to keep the timeline frozen indefinitely at 999.M41 or will we eventually see some advancement of the background again, and if so, what shape do you folks think that advancement will take?

Ozendorph
24-03-2014, 01:50
I think the only advancement GW is planning involves closing the remaining Battle Bunkers and transitioning more models to Direct Only.

(In other words, I don't think they will advance the background ;))

Scribe of Khorne
24-03-2014, 03:16
I think the only advancement GW is planning involves closing the remaining Battle Bunkers and transitioning more models to Direct Only.

(In other words, I don't think they will advance the background ;))

Zing.

Yeah no way they pass 'Abby has broken Cadia' which I believe is still current.

The Emperor
24-03-2014, 03:26
I don't know. On the one hand I can definitely see the argument for not advancing the timeline, but on the other I'm really getting the feeling that they're getting ready for a big change. Just look at Forge World and the Horus Heresy line. In the 20+ years the 40k universe has been around, who could've ever imagined that we'd not only see miniatures for the Primarch's, but rules to go with them? And yet that's where we're at now, albeit with them in the Horus Heresy timeline. I get the feeling like GW might be getting ready to pull the trigger on a lot of story threads which have been hanging around for years now.

Scribe of Khorne
24-03-2014, 04:18
I really doubt it. If that where the case they wouldnt be shoehorning in things like Crimson Slaughter.

FW will continue to flesh out the history well, GW will add things at random, and such is life.

Voss
24-03-2014, 04:39
I don't know. On the one hand I can definitely see the argument for not advancing the timeline, but on the other I'm really getting the feeling that they're getting ready for a big change. Just look at Forge World and the Horus Heresy line. In the 20+ years the 40k universe has been around, who could've ever imagined that we'd not only see miniatures for the Primarch's, but rules to go with them? And yet that's where we're at now, albeit with them in the Horus Heresy timeline. I get the feeling like GW might be getting ready to pull the trigger on a lot of story threads which have been hanging around for years now.
I don't. I expect more retconning and the endless now of whatever trend they're chasing (years after the fact or not). If anything the 'trigger pulls' have been reveals that the big mysteries have been nothing but smoke and mirrors, and nothing at all to care about.

Miniatures for primarchs you say? No imagination required. Leman Russ says hi.

Once they stuffed the primarchs more fully into the background, many people suspected it would be inevitable, and like answering most of the mysteries, more of a detriment and disappointment than anything else.

Konovalev
24-03-2014, 04:49
If I had to guess, I'd say Time of Ending is GW's panic button for when their stock starts to fall. You can't tell me that every GW hater, spurned fanboy, and 'hasn't played since X edition' player won't gobble that up just to see what it's all about.

Merus
24-03-2014, 05:04
That would probably be fairly boring for anyone who doesn't play Chaos of some type.

"Abaddon finally got everything together and won- everybody dies."

Scribe of Khorne
24-03-2014, 05:30
I dont know. That summer was the most fun forums have been in...forever.

I'd kill to do it again globally. :D

Hendarion
24-03-2014, 07:02
GW once wanted to advance the story with the Eye of Terror summer campaign. They saw it was a bad idea and made a few steps back in recent Codices. So... no, they won't advance the story line.
Instead they might flash out the past. That's what they currently do with loads of Black Library books and Supplements.

SaintTom
24-03-2014, 10:09
I'd expect more supplements for space marine companies. I bet that counts as an advancement to GW. :rolleyes:

hobojebus
24-03-2014, 14:34
The story won't ever progress gw are too chicken **** to make changes you only have to look at the 13th black crusade to see that.

tezdal
24-03-2014, 18:42
No that would require original thought, something killed years ago.

DoctorTom
24-03-2014, 20:30
They'll do the Time of Ending only if they think they can make more money out of it. It would need to be done separate from 40k and need its own codexes as things end up changing (so they can sell you the same codex twice - or they abandon codexes completely and do it all with dataslates).

Beppo1234
27-03-2014, 23:55
They'll do the Time of Ending only if they think they can make more money out of it. It would need to be done separate from 40k and need its own codexes as things end up changing (so they can sell you the same codex twice - or they abandon codexes completely and do it all with dataslates).

question is, what do you do after that?

SaintTom
28-03-2014, 03:46
question is, what do you do after that?

Retcon so it didn't really happen. It was all just a twinkle in Tzeentch's eye. ;)

Sanai
28-03-2014, 03:53
If they advance the timeline in any significant way, a great many special characters will die of old age.

ehlijen
28-03-2014, 05:59
There is two ways you can take a backstory for a game. You can keep it static, like GW has been or you can spin it out, endless daily soap style (and it will eventually turn into an endless daily soap style repetition fest).

What people want is the novelty of a sudden change in the status quo, they do not want a developing backstory from the writers that brought us the grey knight codex. Very soon after GW moves the story forward, they will run out of good stories and it will settle right back to what we have now, for all intents and purposes, except in a worse setting, because GW moved away from the good thing they have going right now.

T10
28-03-2014, 09:36
What is "now" in 40k?

Is your game taking place at the end of the timeline, frozen at 2 seconds to midnight? Or are you fighting a battle duing the Ouster Campaign of 123.M33?

-T10

Harwammer
28-03-2014, 11:39
What is "now" in 40k?

Is your game taking place at the end of the timeline, frozen at 2 seconds to midnight? Or are you fighting a battle duing the Ouster Campaign of 123.M33?

-T10

Exactly! Even if you are playing 'two minutes to midnight' the galaxy is huge and there are many stories to be told at that precise moment! If you also consider the rest of the millennium WH40K is 'set' in that adds further stories (The Armageddon wars as an example, Captain Tycho has extensive character development in this story arch to be explored). Going further we have the huge expanse of time between the two well detailed points (the Heresy and the Time of Ending) that is crying out for attention.

I'm more interested in Forgeworld's plans post HH; could they add crusade/HH era xenos, such as the terrible man-eating Lacrymole and so on?

Grocklock
28-03-2014, 12:53
The galaxy is so big history so vast, they are yet to touch on a 10th of what is going on. This isn't PP where it all happens on one world. There is so much to the 40k universe. They have so much scope to expanded sideways. Talk about the different war zones that the different races are fighting in.

Going forward all what's going to happen is people will moan, that they are cash grabbing. Dammed if they do dammed if they don't.

harlekin
28-03-2014, 13:04
If I'm not mistaken the Cain-books semble revised and comented memoires one of the (up to now for me) coolest characters in very late M41, taking excerpts from a sergeant (later Lord Commander) Sulla's from M42. Or are those not canonical?

Krucifus
28-03-2014, 15:45
If I'm not mistaken the Cain-books semble revised and comented memoires one of the (up to now for me) coolest characters in very late M41, taking excerpts from a sergeant (later Lord Commander) Sulla's from M42. Or are those not canonical?

The Cain books also talk about him being mustered out of retirement to go and fight in the 13th Crusade, as if it was a thing that has already happened and now it's over... I think they've just backtracked and anything that was set after then is being ignored now.