PDA

View Full Version : which army to collect, maybe it will be banned

meanmachine
24-03-2014, 11:22
Im thinking to start a imperial knight army or a skyblight tyranids army

But im worried about investing soo much money into a army that might always be banned in tournaments and events

I like the nids army because I really like flying monsters and scoring gargoyles sounds great

I like the knights because they kind of remind of transformers (my other hobby) and there wont be so many models to paint

But which of these 2 armies would be less likely to get banned in events

Has anyone here been to events where they are banned/allowed

Navar
24-03-2014, 14:17
I would vote Tyranids. They are much less likely to be banned in events (IMHO.)

Also it is an easier "sell" if the event does ban things. You will likely be able to communicate with the event coordinator and get your Tyranid army in, but a Knight army would be out of luck.

wyvirn
24-03-2014, 15:18
Besides, you can always use the individual Tyranid units for tournaments anyways. You just lose the scoring gargoyles.

Mandragola
24-03-2014, 15:41
The nids are a safer bet. Nobody is going to ban the whole book, even if they ban the formation.

For what it's worth, the next two tournaments in going to both ban knights and that formation (one band all formations, the other makes flyers and FMCs 0-2, making it illegal).

Inquisitor Engel
25-03-2014, 19:55
I concur with the general opinion here, you can at least use the Tyranid units in tournaments. The Knights you'd be SOL.

IcedCrow
25-03-2014, 20:58
Are you planning on being a tournament player? If yes - stick with tyranids. If no - get what makes you happy.

Sir Didymus
26-03-2014, 00:35
Consider playing a knight army.

Then consider playing a knight army more than three times.

Do you still think, that there will be any sort of fun in playing a fourth game?

Then consider actually having some variation in models and their battlefield roles, and having alternate builds and ways to expand your game experience.

- I don't think tournament bans should be your first deterrent :)

rocdocta
26-03-2014, 02:11
Yes, I would be very surprised if a knight army ever played the same army 4 times. Unless that other army joined in the "escalation" of sillyness.

Importman
26-03-2014, 06:35
Consider playing a knight army.

Then consider playing a knight army more than three times.

Do you still think, that there will be any sort of fun in playing a fourth game?

Then consider actually having some variation in models and their battlefield roles, and having alternate builds and ways to expand your game experience.

- I don't think tournament bans should be your first deterrent :)

Exactly that.

I contemplated for a little prior regarding a knights army. But then they would be so one dimension I think I will get bored of it rather quickly.

Stick to nids.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Sir Didymus
26-03-2014, 06:46
Yes, I would be very surprised if a knight army ever played the same army 4 times. Unless that other army joined in the "escalation" of sillyness.

True, but not really what I meant :)

I doubt, how much fun there'll be for the person fielding the all knight army. With such a limited selection of units/playstyle, I predict that the army will soon go stale and repetitive. And its not like an all knight army is made of unbeatable cheese. Its surely a very hard rock, that will beat scissors, but lose big to paper.

Chem-Dog
26-03-2014, 14:42
Its surely a very hard rock, that will beat scissors, but lose big to paper.

This is why I'm not sure Knights would be likely to be banned by Tournaments, it's essentially just another extreme build that'll lose big or win big. Any serious tournament player, knowing there's likely to be a Knight army or two in the line-up, is bound to have a couple strategies for dealing with them.
It's not like high strength AP2/1 weapons are rare in the game and given that they usually do well against infantry and MC's, they're hardly a millstone around your neck. There are also plenty weapon rules that specifically make them useful against vehicles readily available to most (if not all) factions.

Ozendorph
26-03-2014, 17:55
Are you planning on being a tournament player? If yes - stick with tyranids. If no - get what makes you happy.

Keeping in mind of course that players may refuse to play Knight armies in casual games as well, if their idea of a good time doesn't include playing against them. Probably best to ask your regular opponents how they feel...maybe proxy a few games with them to see how it goes before dropping several hundred bucks.