PDA

View Full Version : Painting question

Rayler Tall
24-03-2014, 20:33
Hey guys I got a painting question for you. Should I highlight my Legion of the Damned's Armour. In the fluff their armour is supposed to absorb all light and only the flickering bale fire around them is supposed to be able to cast upon the bones and skulls that adorn their armour. I am asking this from a tournament judging standpoint.

Horus38
24-03-2014, 20:55
I am asking this from a tournament judging standpoint.

How models are painted rarely factors into a tournament judgement standpoint, is this for some type of "presentation" scoring? If so, then highlighting is fine. GW has flames painted on their "official" models along with greyish edging/highlighting.

Sir Didymus
26-03-2014, 00:40
Blobs of pure black looks awful on a model. Not only that, your models won't absorb the ambient light, so there actually will be reflections, so you won't achieve the desired effect, and instead your model will look half-finished, and you'll be disqualified from the good tournaments.

Tato
26-03-2014, 00:58
Blobs of pure black looks awful on a model. Not only that, your models won't absorb the ambient light, so there actually will be reflections, so you won't achieve the desired effect, and instead your model will look half-finished, and you'll be disqualified from the good tournaments.

Really, disqualified? I was under the impression that all you really need is a very basic paint job at tournaments and maybe get some kudos for being above average but disqualified? Im just asking, its not that I have a huge tournament experience, I'm curious, that's all.

Goshawk
26-03-2014, 07:28
In any tournament that I have attended that judges painting, you get a score based on how complete the models are, how many colors/ effects are used, to what standard they are painted to, etc. Basically how good they look. A perfect score would be like the 'Eavy Metal teams paintjobs. Most tournaments have a three colors and a basecoat minimum per model (note that not all of them have this rule) but your painting score will suffer. There are (usually) three scores that get added together to determine the winner of the tournament: Painting, Battle score (how many points you got during your games), and sportsmanship. I've been to tournaments where the painting score had the same weight as the battle score, and I've been to others where it was as little as a quarter as important. Either way, I've never seen someone disqualified who has at least the three colors and a basecoat minimum.

But to the OP's question; Black pretty much ALWAYS needs a highlight of grey or blue to look finished.

Sir Didymus
26-03-2014, 08:02
Really, disqualified? I was under the impression that all you really need is a very basic paint job at tournaments and maybe get some kudos for being above average but disqualified? Im just asking, its not that I have a huge tournament experience, I'm curious, that's all.

Sure most tournaments have a low standard and may even allow grey hordes and let a black 'undercoat' slide, I was talking about the good tournaments ;)

But to be honest, I've rarely seen this rule being enforced, most TOs wouldn't have the heart to turn a player down, so thats why they've turned to something a little less harsh like giving poor paint scores => tournament rankings. So its mostly empty threats :)

Importman
26-03-2014, 11:22
You need at least three colors. So black and white with different shades of gray just wouldn't qualify.

Black and white plus silver for example would be okay.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Chem-Dog
26-03-2014, 14:08
I would consider modelling small licks of flame on the base and then use some OSL techniques.
No need to go overboard, but using techniques that reinforce the idea of an otherworldy manifestation over a simple black armoured Astartes would certainly interest me.
Were I judging models for something like this, I'd certainly look favourably upon well accomplished attempts at representing stuff that sounds good in text but is impossible (or at least difficult) to demonstrate on a painted miniature. Another example would be someone who manages to make Chaos Runes that somehow reflect the fact that they are often described as writhing or capable of causing headaches and/or nausea. I'd award points highly for that.

Beppo1234
26-03-2014, 14:24
I am asking this from a tournament judging standpoint.

don't highlight them, and see how well you do...

Horus38
26-03-2014, 14:28
You need at least three colors. So black and white with different shades of gray just wouldn't qualify.

Lolwut? If a TO told me that my Legion of the Damned which were painted/washed black with gray/white highlights didn't cut it I'd tell them to get stuffed.

Rayler Tall
26-03-2014, 18:25
http://www.warseer.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=97912

Here are my examples of the highlighting conundrum i have been going over for you Lords and Ladies of the paint to scrutinize.

Charistoph
26-03-2014, 18:55
But to the OP's question; Black pretty much ALWAYS needs a highlight of grey or blue to look finished.

True, IF you're looking to do traditional black Armour ala Templars, Iron Hands, etc., but as the OP was pointing out, the purpose is to make the Armour unnatural.

Also keep in mind that there are flames modeled on the fig. If these are painted to reflect an ethereal flame, along with other non-armoured parts, while the Armour is matte, I think it would help emphasize their differences from regular forces even more.

TheEmptyBottle
27-03-2014, 01:45
@OP
I've always found the black and blue was always fine, looks great in fact for the prupose of armor.

Rayler Tall
27-03-2014, 14:41
What do you mean by reflect an ethereal flame? Do you mean painted like an ethereal flame or the armour reflects the light only from the flames

Charistoph
27-03-2014, 16:08
What do you mean by reflect an ethereal flame? Do you mean painted like an ethereal flame or the armour reflects the light only from the flames

My original intent was painted like an ethereal flame, as I was referencing the modeled flames, but the other one could work, too. It would be freaky if normal light didn't reflect off their armour, as if it had no hold on them, but their own flames were reflected on their armour as well. Quite appropriate considering the subject matter.

Rayler Tall
27-03-2014, 17:57
I'll try it out and let you know how it goes

Rayler Tall
30-03-2014, 19:41
Here is what my Legionnaires look like at the moment. Should I do some light halo effects as well?
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1499590_846629922030238_2008722349_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10152623_846630045363559_1514016324_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1962838_846630168696880_1814210293_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/10012610_846630262030204_1270251650_n.jpg

Ruination Drinker
31-03-2014, 23:02
You can use that paint that changes color depending on what angle you look at it. Get all your colors in one coat!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChromaFlair