PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop pulls out of Facebook, Twitter etc.

Commisar
25-03-2014, 17:50
Just noticed:

The Forge World, Digital Editions and Warhammer World Facebook pages are down.

And the "Follow us on Facebook / Twitter" buttons have disappeared from the Forge World Website.

Local Games Workshop store Facebook pages still up.

Bigglesworth
25-03-2014, 18:03
Shame if FW is gone for good, the only decent FB page run by GW

Also the new FW video out today has no comments allowed...

Weird as on the whole they are very positive aside from the occasional price whine.

Could be part of a reorganization before an new GW website...

Inquisitor Engel
25-03-2014, 19:09
I think you're freaking out over what is standard rebranding procedure. It's highly likely Games Workshop will return to the social media space with the website relaunch soon, as one unified social media presence. A few companies with different divisions have done this in the past, especially since Facebook made it harder to 'merge' pages than it used to be. It's also a great way to lose the 'haters' that like your page just to bitch at every post you make before relaunching everything.

Sad to see FW's stuff go, but if their social team is rolled into the main community management staff, things should work out well.

The fact that they removed the posts on the websites tell me more that this is part of a plan - typically pulling social pages doesn't get web development sprints and implementation to remove buttons, which GW seem to do (or did the last time I was in HQ).

Grocklock
26-03-2014, 00:05
So when are they redoing the website, is it to merge games workship, forge world and BL

ObiWayneKenobi
26-03-2014, 02:45
So when are they redoing the website, is it to merge games workship, forge world and BL

That's the rumor. Forgeworld at least.

Marshal_Loss
26-03-2014, 02:47
Really disappointed. Not looking forward to this merge, the Australianification of FW will raise the prices to insane levels

Athelassan
26-03-2014, 04:35
The BL website got a makeover recently, so maybe that won't be pulled in... although frankly it might as well be since it's just a product listing like GW's has become. Hopefully the Forge World move won't be accompanied by a reduction in quality (of service, product or website) or increase in price, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

tezdal
26-03-2014, 04:36
Meh not like they had much of a media presence in the first place, unless you enjoy being ignored.

Marshal_Loss
26-03-2014, 05:07
Meh not like they had much of a media presence in the first place, unless you enjoy being ignored.

I was a huge fan of the Forge World page, they interacted with people and (very) frequently dropped hints on what was coming next/when certain products were being released. Add to that featured models of the day etc and the interaction was really quite nice ensured that I was checking the page every night just to see what was going on and what was said. It's sad to see it go as a result. Sure GW didn't have a big presence overall but from what I've heard people really liked the Digital Editions page as well.

Can't really comment on Black Library etc

IJW
26-03-2014, 10:21
I think you're freaking out over what is standard rebranding procedure. It's highly likely Games Workshop will return to the social media space with the website relaunch soon, as one unified social media presence. A few companies with different divisions have done this in the past, especially since Facebook made it harder to 'merge' pages than it used to be.

I'd be much more inclined to agree if GW hadn't shut down their main FB page over a year ago and stopped posting tweets on their Twitter account at the same time. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Bigglesworth
26-03-2014, 12:21
Weirdly on monday FW made a fuss about the "return" of model of the day, only for the page to be scrapped a day later. Either no joined up thinking, or a knee jerk decision. Also their new blog has not come out this week either...

Seems really odd given open day is coming up so soon, its the perfect promotional tool for sales

Commisar
26-03-2014, 14:49
They said on there facebook page before it went away, there would be no blog this week, but instead regular announcements of stuff you can get at the open day.

Inquisitor Engel
26-03-2014, 18:34
I'd be much more inclined to agree if GW hadn't shut down their main FB page over a year ago and stopped posting tweets on their Twitter account at the same time. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

That was a knee jerk reaction, with no web support. GW still had the links to social all over the place for a couple of months until their team prioritized and worked removing them all into a full sprint.

Weirdly on monday FW made a fuss about the "return" of model of the day, only for the page to be scrapped a day later. Either no joined up thinking, or a knee jerk decision. Also their new blog has not come out this week either...

Seems really odd given open day is coming up so soon, its the perfect promotional tool for sales

This is the kind of decision a marketing manager makes, then it gets filtered to a community manager. It's likely the community manager didn't know.

Fen
27-03-2014, 16:24
http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/
Seems related

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2014, 17:58
http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/
Seems related

Indubitably.

Whomever they had put their host's default "under construction" page up should be fired. (Does anyone recognize it? It's not AWS)

IJW
27-03-2014, 21:08
From the page source it appears to be Wordpress.

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2014, 22:02
From the page source it appears to be Wordpress.

Nice. I didn't have time to check earlier. It's not surprising they're moving to a more widely known CMS program.

I will say I found it odd things were designed in QUARK until fairly recently. That blew my mind. No one uses Quark anymore. It's all InDesign nowadays for print.

IJW
27-03-2014, 22:47
Depends how tied their print workflow was to Quark programs and plug-ins. Converting a complex automated system across to InDesign can cost a company more than carrying on using QuarkXPress...

Inquisitor Engel
28-03-2014, 02:46
Depends how tied their print workflow was to Quark programs and plug-ins. Converting a complex automated system across to InDesign can cost a company more than carrying on using QuarkXPress...

Yeah that was their reasoning. IIRC at some point in the mid-late '00s they said it was a requirement and none of the applicants who they would even consider hiring knew how to use it.

Schmapdi
28-03-2014, 05:45
Yeah that was their reasoning. IIRC at some point in the mid-late '00s they said it was a requirement and none of the applicants who they would even consider hiring knew how to use it.

Eh - if you're proficient in one you can pick up the other in a day or two. I was taught Quark at Uni (a few years before InDesign completely took over) when I got my first job I had to learn InDesign. It was a breeze.

Do they even make Quark anymore?

Inquisitor Engel
28-03-2014, 15:19
Do they even make Quark anymore?

They do indeed. They pushed HARD to get into the eBooks market a couple of years ago. http://www.quark.com/Products/QuarkXPress/#1 I remember seeing it displayed prominently in Apple stores and university bookstores for years. It disappeared in 2009-ish.

Another thing on GW's social - These pages still auto-complete using Facebook's search, including the last-used page picture. This indicates the pages are set to inactive instead of deleted.

Bigglesworth
31-03-2014, 16:14
Ok, the forge world blog is back...

But now its called the forge world Bulletin? Very strange

MiyamatoMusashi
31-03-2014, 17:30
Look for a Forge World magazine in the next year or so.

Bigglesworth
31-03-2014, 20:08
Look for a Forge World magazine in the next year or so.

Nah, they've always been good enough to give their sales catalogue away for free

azhagmorglum
02-04-2014, 22:04
I don't know anything about what GW is going to do with the relaunch of the website, but a part of me can't help thinking about things like models disappearances, models repackaging, models prices increase !
I hope I'm wrong here but seeing the latest GW moves of the last 2 years, it seems like the most plausible outcome of their webstore redesigning.