PDA

View Full Version : Buying or making my own custom transfers?

Mordian 7th
26-03-2014, 16:57
Hello there, im sorry if this is in the wrong section, i could not see a "general hobby section" to post it in.

So im doing Imperial Guard, Mordians to be exact, and I need transfers, back in my early days of hobbying I never liked using transfers and always hand painted any markings and such, but now im much older (no 32 is not old) and I donít have as much time as I like to paint and modelling, so im giving transfers ago, I have put some onto one of my Chims, and it does look nice and neat and clean, but I donít have enough of them, esp Mordian based transfers.

So is there anywhere I can have custom transfers made?

Has anyone had a go at making their own transfers, I did look into it, and it seemed simple enough, just needed to buy some special paper and a special varnish spray, any thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

TheBearminator
26-03-2014, 17:55
Have you thought of trying dry transfers? I just recently had my first go with dry transfers from Archer Transfers. They have some really good videos on YouTube if you're interested. It's basically a print work some kind of pressure sensitive ink (not a film), that you rub on these model. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/atu2ybu4.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/ja6a7ybu.jpg

I've found companies sites that sell custom made dry transfers, but I don't remember any Web address. Sorry.

static grass
26-03-2014, 18:21
Yeah you just need transfer paper for you printer ie inkjet or laser. You then just print out your image on to the paper, let it dry properly and spray it a few times with varnish. Once that is dry you just use it like you would any other water slide.

Obviously there is a lot of detail there that I haven't gotten into but that how it done in principle.The first time I made slides they worked at least as well as the GW space marine transfers but the FW are actually easier to work with (IMO).

Inquisitor Engel
26-03-2014, 18:32
I've been really confused recently as to why there's not a black Saim-Hann snake on the Eldar transfer sheet. I did some custom transfers for my Fists back in the day, but it was a pain and it didn't always work well. Definitely worth looking into though. When it worked, it worked well.