PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Lone Wolf GT Results

Minigiant
26-03-2014, 20:24
So the results are in for the Texas 2014 Lone Wolf - http://www.lonewolfgt.com/results-14-Standings.html

Did anyone attend?

I am curious with what army lists the top 3 Generals took. Does anyone know?

Also 2nd place Bretonnians is sexy, anyone know what he ran?

CountUlrich
26-03-2014, 20:37
Not sure what his make up was, but Justin is a great general, one of the best in this region.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reiko321
26-03-2014, 21:09
I was there and I placed 37th - SkaveninAZ (youtube channel) placed 8th/9th (tied) and the group we hooked up with when we got there (HAWGs gaming group) did very well, including best overall and third overall.

Let me link to SkaveninAZ's recap of the tournament. He set up seven videos covering his experience:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_MfXQcnOmYBBCfv5M1l1eA

Regarding armies, there were 90 signed up and 82 that made it to the tables. Eleven High Elves, Eleven Warriors of Chaos and Eleven Dwarfs armies. The most popular model in the room had to have been the Frost Phoenix, and the competition was fierce throughout the tournament.

I brought a Teclis list and ended up going 2-2-1 with a small loss and a tragic tie. As my first GT I can say that it was quite an experience.

A few list highlights:

Balanced VC with Mortis + 8 Vargheists (Best Overall, Julian played like a man all weekend, including the dreaded VC on VC final round)
Brolock Dark Elves (22 + characters to taste)
Dark Rider bus DE's (2nd best general)
Throgg + DP WoC (3rd overall)
Silverhelm bus and three phoenixes (23 + 3 characters...14th in the standings I believe)
Dwarf Gyros list
Dwarf army with 3 units (Slayers + Ungrimm, longbeards w/7 characters, both units vanguarding and a gyrocopter)
High Elf Mage list with the Folding Fortress (5 wizards + BSB I believe)
Two Wood Elf lists that were both undefeated going into round 3.

Check out SkaveninAZ's "armies of Lonewolf" video to see pics of the majority of the armies.

Methios
26-03-2014, 21:24
Nr 7 WE O.0
SkavenAZ do you know what he was running?

CountUlrich
26-03-2014, 21:44
Mortis plus vargheists or did you mean Mortis plus crypt horrors? Can you give any more details of the makeup of that winning army?

Wicksy
26-03-2014, 21:45
So the results are in for the Texas 2014 Lone Wolf - http://www.lonewolfgt.com/results-14-Standings.html

Did anyone attend?

I am curious with what army lists the top 3 Generals took. Does anyone know?

Also 2nd place Bretonnians is sexy, anyone know what he ran?
Malorian did an interesting video on the Brettonian seathstar of grail knights plus loads of characters. Perhaps some similar type of list? Its pretty powerful even by modern standards though chaff ruins the brettonian's day.

Reiko321
26-03-2014, 22:08
Mortis plus vargheists or did you mean Mortis plus crypt horrors? Can you give any more details of the makeup of that winning army?

8 flying vargheists, and a mortis engine that gave the terrorgheist a better regen save. There was a blender lord but I do not recall if he was on a flying steed or not. I also think that he had 6-9 units of dogs. TBH I didn't study the list as I was down in the bowels of the middle tables ;p

CountUlrich
26-03-2014, 22:15
Malorian did an interesting video on the Brettonian seathstar of grail knights plus loads of characters. Perhaps some similar type of list? Its pretty powerful even by modern standards though chaff ruins the brettonian's day.

From what I understand, Justin has been doing something a bit different with his Bretonians, but tbf I wasn't able to be there this weekend, so can't say for sure.

Gustav Kohn
26-03-2014, 23:19
Hmmm...I was there but didn't see the Bret list. It was a good tourney all around and much fun was had. My most fun game was when I got toasted by VC. I played a shooty, msu, no forest spirit wood elf list. I had 61 bow shots. I fired them long range into two units of 5 dogs in the first turn. Killed 3 in one unit and 4 in the other. The rest of the game was more of the same. I have NEVER seen such bad rolling. There were rolls where my opponent and I just laughed hysterically at how horrid my rolls were. However, his attitude made it fun. We had a great time.

kylek2235
27-03-2014, 05:56
Game 5, 3 of the top 4 were from the bayou rats gaming group. Table 1 was monopolized by them. The best players in Texas are in Louisiana.

Snake1311
27-03-2014, 10:31
6 Brian Medus Warriors of Chaos 91
1 Julien Lesage Vampire Counts 86
15 Jordan Braun Dark Elves 85
10 Stephen Firth Empire 84
8 Jeff Swann Skaven 80
9 Chris Hines Skaven 79
7 Alan Keller Woodelves 78
11 Chris Saik Ogre Kingdoms 78
2 Justin Balusik Brettonians 77
17 Brad McKay Warriors of Chaos 75

^ results look a bit more 'as expected' when you remove the soft scores. Still, good job to the Wood Elf player getting up there!

kylek2235
27-03-2014, 15:08
6 Brian Medus Warriors of Chaos 91
1 Julien Lesage Vampire Counts 86
15 Jordan Braun Dark Elves 85
10 Stephen Firth Empire 84
8 Jeff Swann Skaven 80
9 Chris Hines Skaven 79
7 Alan Keller Woodelves 78
11 Chris Saik Ogre Kingdoms 78
2 Justin Balusik Brettonians 77
17 Brad McKay Warriors of Chaos 75

^ results look a bit more 'as expected' when you remove the soft scores. Still, good job to the Wood Elf player getting up there!

Alan's only loss was to our Wood Elf player in game 3. That's a huge accomplishment based on the lists there.

AM1640
27-03-2014, 15:52
Looks like fun. Everything is bigger in Texas, that is alot of people playing in one tournament. I do have 1 question, why are there 2 "did not finish" people? I have been in running events and when there is a DNF it means they were injured or gave up and quit... I have only played in friendly tournaments, what do you guys do differently in Texas???

Phazael
27-03-2014, 16:17
I have played Julian. He is really good and runs a very tame balanced list. The game I played him was the tactical highlight of the Alamo for me. Say what you want about soft scores, but I have a lot more respect for him going the distance with his list than someone running Brolock Spam or another net list. Texas actually has fairly minor soft scores, outside of the painting requirements and Mr Cox (who is the TO) is a class act. If I did not have such a full calendar this month, I would have been there myself. That crowd is fun to play and know how to drink.

If the Brett guy is who I think he is, he won Alamo the year prior and is a really solid player. His list is actually pretty much standard 7th edition style bretts, with a couple busses and a pair of trebs. He has years of experience with it, though, and is a pretty good guy to play (faced him down with my night gobbos at QCR two years ago). Army looks amazing, too. Not at all shocked to see him come in second, plus Bretts are a good sleeper army for a capable general to compete with.

Most of those guys who came in higher battle without placing top three are perennial netlisters (and to hear reports, it was more of the same), which is fine for strict BP style environments, but the bulk of the events west of the Appalachian involve some form of soft scores to promote some army diversity. So, if you want to place high in the standings, you need to do more than just crush hobbies, though a best general award is always there for that crowd. You need to think out of the box with your army design and bring something appealing to the table. I am glad to see Lone Wolf back on the scene, in any case. By all accounts it was a great success and people really enjoyed themselves.

Reiko321
27-03-2014, 16:18
I believe that there were people that did not show up on day 2. I do know that there were a handful of people who did not have opponents for the "oh so early" start time of 9:30am... But it looks like all but two made it to the tables for round five.

Phazael
27-03-2014, 17:44
Looks like fun. Everything is bigger in Texas, that is alot of people playing in one tournament. I do have 1 question, why are there 2 "did not finish" people? I have been in running events and when there is a DNF it means they were injured or gave up and quit... I have only played in friendly tournaments, what do you guys do differently in Texas???

In any event, there are some people who get ********, too drunk, or otherwise have some unexpected issue preventing them from finishing. That is not unique to Texas, really. Really, every west coast or Midwest event I have been to has involved a hangover test at some point, with Alamo and Waughpaca being the most severe. If I had to guess, likely one or two guys were just too hung over from the beer round to make it to day two. Just the nature of the atmosphere in those areas. At QCR, my wife and I actually set up a rolling minibar for my Cadillac Margaritas and her Tequila Sunrises. Events tend to be more social and less serious business the further west you go, though there are always exceptions.

olderplayer
27-03-2014, 17:54
There were only two no shows on day two of Lonewolf. I second that Mr. Cox and Mr. Bowman ran a "class act" tournament and are great guys and made this a fun and excellent all-around event. There is a focus on strong but more casual play in the region.

The range of sports scores is limited and the paint score standard error below is overstated due to unpainted armies getting hit pretty hard. Lonewolf tries to average 64 to 65 points for a reasonably painted army with a range of 50 (min painted) to 80 (rare) but most armies between say 60 and 75. That means a really top painted army gets the equivalent of one extra "win" over a slightly below average paint army. A great sports score and top paint score can with a decent battle score result in placing overall. The battle scores are basically 16 major win (500+ Vps) and 4 minor loss; 14 minor win, 6 minor loss; and 8 each for draw. 4 objective points each battle usually split up such that one can lose and still end up winning some or most of the battle points with skill. Pretty standard battleline scenario with objectives in all 5 rounds.

A bit more analysis was posted on the Internet site linked to LoneWolf's site at: http://grapevinegamers.proboards.com/thread/934/lonewolf-gt-2014?page=2

Average Scores:
Overall 193.66 - General 58.96 - Appearance 61.21 - Sports 64.43 - JR 8.98
Standard Error:
Overall 25.1 - General 14.6 – Appearance 15.5 – Sports 2.4 – JR 2.0
Max 229.0 - 91.0 - 77.0 - 72.0 - 10.0
Min 113.0 - 26.0 - 1.0 - 56.0 - 5.0

Army Rank-Army-Number- Avg. General - Avg. Overall
1-Brettonians-1- 77.0 - 227.0
2-Tomb Kings-2- 66.5 - 207.0
3-Warriors of Chaos-10- 66.3 - 206.1
4-Empire-6- 66.0 - 208.2
5-Vampire Counts-5- 65.0 - 204.6
6-Wood Elves-4- 64.0 - 205.8
7-High Elves-10- 59.8 - 192.7
8-Dark Elves-8- 59.3 - 187.0
9-Skaven-5- 58.2 - 184.8
10-Ogre Kingdoms-5- 57.6 - 194.2
11-Lizardmen-6- 56.3 - 193.5
12-Chaos Dwarves-2- 54.5 - 194.0
13-Daemons of Chaos-4- 54.5 - 180.8
14-Dwarves-10- 51.5 - 183.1
15-Beastmen-2- 47.5 - 187.0
16-Orcs and Goblins-2- 29.5 - 144.0
-Total/Average-82- 59.0 - 193.7

The event had no direct comp but sports score did include a possiblity of a F (fail) on comp. Special characters were largely allowed and did not seem to alter the balance. The Brett army is pretty standard (Lvl 4 life; two Trebs). A lot of warriors armies with Throgg and troll core and skullcrushers were seen. Other than Beastmen and O&G, you can kind of see a good balance in a technically non-comped environment with top players (some LD2 guys from California came over and some others from outside the region).

You kind of have to factor in player skill in the results; the top three overall and top general all have done consistently well in the South region in the past year. Tomb Kings seem to do well in the South Region GTs, but that reflects certain players and army builds. The top Wood Elf player won a decent-sized GT last year playing a VC army, but it is good to see Woodies do better than most people expect (even without the ETC mods of having ASF or forest spirits always having a 5+ ward save). Some of the Dwarf armies were not optimal (slayer lists and such), the more typical dwarf list options did pretty well with some players.

The event filled up (90) with a long waiting list, but there were 6 late cancellations immediately prior to the event and 2 persons no showed on day two.

kylek2235
27-03-2014, 20:40
Most of those guys who came in higher battle without placing top three are perennial netlisters (and to hear reports, it was more of the same), which is fine for strict BP style environments, but the bulk of the events west of the Appalachian involve some form of soft scores to promote some army diversity. So, if you want to place high in the standings, you need to do more than just crush hobbies, though a best general award is always there for that crowd. You need to think out of the box with your army design and bring something appealing to the table. I am glad to see Lone Wolf back on the scene, in any case. By all accounts it was a great success and people really enjoyed themselves.

Hopefully I'm not included in that "most people" comment. No Mournfang, no hellheart, no stubborn crown, no dragonhide banner, no fencers blades/glittering scales, no death magic. :shifty:

Phazael
27-03-2014, 23:56
In most avid Tourney players opinions that I talk with, Ogres are not really the top tier anymore, so aside from Hellheart + Character Wall + double Iblaster, you don't really get eyerolls from people these days with the army. After all the initial ********, people are used to dealing with them now. So short answer is, probably not. I was more referring to the Warlock character bus build that seems to be the flavor of the month for Dark Elf players or the Pokemons of Chaos DoC builds that are all over the place.

Veshnakar
28-03-2014, 15:24
Really surprised to see more Dwarfs in attendance than Dark Elves!! Are Dwarfs really considered that "top tier" or is it more based on the fact that the book was just re-released I wonder?

CountUlrich
28-03-2014, 15:40
I think it is being a new release, with new models, and there are some interesting options and so people are giving them a go

olderplayer
28-03-2014, 18:13
Really surprised to see more Dwarfs in attendance than Dark Elves!! Are Dwarfs really considered that "top tier" or is it more based on the fact that the book was just re-released I wonder?

A lot of people in the South Region GTs play armies they like but are competitive. Dwarves have been played in the South region (Furgil aka Aaron Chapman won some GTs with Dwarves) and the new book made them a competitive and fun choice. With lots of people having Dwarf armies in their collection, it was pretty natural to see more people try them out. Pretty diverse and different dwarf lists were run and some did quite well.

Banville
28-03-2014, 23:17
From a dyed in the wool Brets player from over here on the European side of things, I'm very happy to see them do well. It might surprise you guys (and the community in general) that Brets routinely place top ten in tourneys that have some sort of comp system, which is most of them nowadays. They are indeed a very good "sleeper" army. It helps that if you spend a bit of effort painting them that they tend to score highly in the painting stakes as a properly painted Bret army really does have an instant "wow" factor.

Dual Trebs, cheap characters, Life and Beasts help with the actual game.......

Fighting Newfoundlander
29-03-2014, 00:33
The only thing that shocked me is the terrible O&G scores. Were the players newbies? And only 2 out of 82 armies. Are O&G just not that popular down south?

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
29-03-2014, 00:36
Anybody know what list the Bret player was running? I hear trebs + level 4 life, but that's not very specific...

Sexiest_hero
29-03-2014, 03:36
O&G are a "fun" army down here and not used for tournies. shame because that's not true at all.

CapAmr05
29-03-2014, 03:48
2 Players didn't participate on day 2. One of them was polite enough to give notice which made things easier (he had a work issue that forced him away), the other guy did not, nor was his army in the room Sunday morning, he'll have to have a really good explanation for me to let him back into the field next year.

Lonewolf was the hardest room in Texas when it comes to lists, there was a lot of nasty stuff running around.

Justin has been playing and winning with the exact same Brettonian list for ages;

Lord + Warhorse + Shield + The Heartwood Lance + Dragonhelm + Luckstone + Virtue of Heroism

Damsel of the Lady + Beasts Magic + Lv2 + Warhorse + Crown of Command

10 Knights of the Realm + Musician Mus 8 + Standard if Discp + Gallant

Paladin + Battle Standard Bearer + Warhorse + The Wyrmlance + Charmed Shield + Dawnstone

14 Knights Errant + Musician Mus + Errantry Banner+ Cavalier

Prophetess of the Lady + LVL4 + Life Magic + Warhorse + Dispel Scroll

8 Knights of the Realm + Musician Mus + Warbanner + Gallant

10 Peasant Bowmen + Musician Mus + Braziers

5 Mounted Yeomen, + Shield + Musician Mus

3 Pegasus Knights + Musician Mus + Gallant

9 Grail Knights, = 9 * + Musician Mus + Banner of Eternal Flame

Field Trebuchet

Field Trebuchet

--Cap

Gustav Kohn
29-03-2014, 06:03
Mark? Some other organizer? If so, thanks for your work. We all had a blast!

CountUlrich
29-03-2014, 06:46
Hey cap, do you mind giving th3 list of the overall champion? Im really intrigued to know what his vampy set up was ...

quietus1986
29-03-2014, 18:28
pity we don't really have a big event like that in Europe ( no etc dos not count). but than again if they did it in Belgium I would guess allot of no show's on day 2 from hangover. U even have peaple come to 1 day events with a hangover.

CountUlrich
29-03-2014, 19:16
pity we don't really have a big event like that in Europe ( no etc dos not count). but than again if they did it in Belgium I would guess allot of no show's on day 2 from hangover. U even have peaple come to 1 day events with a hangover.

Im surprised there aren't more over there. I'm in Austin, and there are 4 a year within 2.5-3 hours of here: dallas, austin, houston and san antonio.

olderplayer
30-03-2014, 03:40
Actually, South Region has 6 larger GTs with the two GTs in Arkansas (Shiloh Slaughter in January and Rock Wars in September) that drew well this year. The numbers are up this year, possibly with the new Masters USA series and with some resurgence of interest in WHFB. We had some new local and regional players at LoneWolf and also players from outside the region. Lonewolf (Dallas_Fort Worth) had full registration at 90; Bayou at 90 limit (Houston) mostly ikely will fill up in August and was pretty full last year, Rock Wars (Little Rock Arkansas September) has already filled up even with a larger venue at 77 signed up already and about half aid; and Alamo (San Antonio in October) always fills up with a lot of out of region participants and the space limited to about 72. Texas Games Con (fka Wargames Con) in June will not fill up but that is partly due to that event hosting Warmachine; Flames of War, 40K and other gaming events and less promoted.

On the O&G issue, it may just be that the two armies played were not optimal builds or luck. O&G armies were actively played at tournies when the book first came out and have been played in numbers and done well at times at the GTs. Alamo and some of the other GTs have Black Orc Bock alternative army rules that is kind of interesting and competitive to play. A number of people can play the army competitively at GTs. The biggest issue is unreliability due to animosity (even though less of an issue than before), low leadership leading to issues with panic tests, war machines sometimes blowing up and people have kind of figured them out. Mangler squigs are threatening but with a lot of armies having cheap chaff units, too often a chaff unit just marches on to them and they die. Savage orcs are good but don't seem to match up well against certain armies and units. Ironically, they do well often against Warriors with Doom Divers, Rock Lobbers and bolt throwers and fanatics but they struggle against a lot of the dark elf and high elf armies.

Snake1311
31-03-2014, 11:43

?

There are 100ish attendees events in the UK roughly every 2 months. South Coast in April is 200. Short flights from ****** airlines aren't that expensive, get on it :p

quietus1986
31-03-2014, 14:36
It wil cost allot of money to go plays to stay its not realy cheap ether. But it wil cost about 300-400€ and I don't have that mutch money on reserve.

Sir_Glonojad
01-04-2014, 07:56
Nice to see a succesfull Bretonnian list. As I said - we don't really NEED a new book ;)