PDA

View Full Version : Help building Ghost Warrior box

Doppleskanger
26-03-2014, 22:01
So in December I rather randomly bought one of those Ghost Warrior boxes and I've finally started doing something with it. Except... no idea what I'm doing! Haven't done Eldar since RT days! I guess for now the idea is to use it as an allies slot... and I've never used allies before either!

So the question is how to build it.
I built 5 Wraithguard with wraithcannons, but don't know how to equip the others. I would tend towards having 5 with axes and 5 with scythes, but probably not too effective like that? What would you guys suggest?

The Wraithknight I'm going to build with the scattershield and then try and set it up with the other arm on magnets with the suncannon and the big sword available. Probably use the suncannon in games to start with anyway. Was thinking of a scatter laser and a starcannon on the shoulders. Is having two scatter lasers a better idea? What should I do?

Finally the wraithlords. I don't like the model massively, and certainly not when they have loads of gunbs stuck all over them. I do kind of like the big sword and the set up where it's holding the bright lance like a riffle. Don't like the look of having any of the big guns on the shoulder points. What might be a good set up for these two?

Would be great to hear any advice or suggestions, cheers!

druchii
26-03-2014, 22:39
So in December I rather randomly bought one of those Ghost Warrior boxes and I've finally started doing something with it. Except... no idea what I'm doing! Haven't done Eldar since RT days! I guess for now the idea is to use it as an allies slot... and I've never used allies before either!

So the question is how to build it.
I built 5 Wraithguard with wraithcannons, but don't know how to equip the others. I would tend towards having 5 with axes and 5 with scythes, but probably not too effective like that? What would you guys suggest?

The Wraithknight I'm going to build with the scattershield and then try and set it up with the other arm on magnets with the suncannon and the big sword available. Probably use the suncannon in games to start with anyway. Was thinking of a scatter laser and a starcannon on the shoulders. Is having two scatter lasers a better idea? What should I do?

Finally the wraithlords. I don't like the model massively, and certainly not when they have loads of gunbs stuck all over them. I do kind of like the big sword and the set up where it's holding the bright lance like a riffle. Don't like the look of having any of the big guns on the shoulder points. What might be a good set up for these two?

Would be great to hear any advice or suggestions, cheers!

Wraithguard are better than wraithblades. Although I love the way wraithblades LOOK, in game they're completely inferior. D-Scythes all the way for me. I've got 50 wraithguard painted/assembled with 10 cannons, 10 scythes, 10 swords and 10 axes with the other 10 awaiting arms (probably more scythes...).

Wraithknight you'd either want to do stock with no additional weapons, the suncannon with ONE scatter laser (why would you put MORE guns on it than it can fire?), or the sword knight with no weapons (he's going to be running anyway, right?). I've personally got three Knights...one of each.

Finally wraithlords, There are a few trains of thought:
bright lancex2, or bright lance and scatter laser. I've always run mine as bright lance x2 with a glaive. 165 and they're great anti-horde with their flamers, good anti-tank with their lances, and great assault blockers.

Oh and always put flamers on the lords. Always. Sad fact, but always flamers.

I've got 7(8?) wraith lords built, and four have dual lances and glaives, while two others have scatter lasers and shuriken cannons (in case I need to lay down some hurt on hordes, and I'm list tailoring) and the final one or two are still waiting weapon options...whatever I can convert to look sweet primarily.

Oh and get some serpents for your D-scythes. They're fantastic. You also want a spirit seer, too. Either run as Iyanden for their battle focus power, or as vanilla eldar for conceal (oh yeah, plop those t6 scoring dudes in ruins for a 2+ cover save!) and possibly protect(an extra point of armor is amazing).

Hope this helps!

d

zoodog
26-03-2014, 23:34
The wrathknight is really easy to magnetize. it comes with 4 arms but one of the wrath/sun cannons has to share the same mounting. Just make the barrels interchangeable. Currently looking at magnetizing the guard but it is a lot more work for less payout. Your most likely going to want 5 scythes, then mostly cannons. Really have tried the blades that much yet. The elder tatica was debating wrathlord armament recently so just scroll back a few pages.

They actually make a really good army core with some additional hulls (serpents). At low points the knight is essentially pretty unfair against a lot of armies.

Doppleskanger
27-03-2014, 00:21
Thanks! Sounds like good advice. I have an unbuilt wave serpent from when they were released and I took a notion to sort out my old RT army and then never got the enthusiasm to actually do anything about it! So I'll definitely make that and put 5 wraithguard with scythes in that then. And I'll go have a look for the stuff on Lords. I wouldn't normally fight under 1700 so I think one knight should be ok, I know over the winter I was fighting a mate with a single riptide and that was plenty for my marines to handle!

I've built the legs of the knight today and it looked like if you cut the tabs off that lock the kips, knees and ankles into place the whole legs would become fully poseable. Is that correct or does it just become really hard to position them?

druchii
27-03-2014, 17:29
Thanks! Sounds like good advice. I have an unbuilt wave serpent from when they were released and I took a notion to sort out my old RT army and then never got the enthusiasm to actually do anything about it! So I'll definitely make that and put 5 wraithguard with scythes in that then. And I'll go have a look for the stuff on Lords. I wouldn't normally fight under 1700 so I think one knight should be ok, I know over the winter I was fighting a mate with a single riptide and that was plenty for my marines to handle!

I've built the legs of the knight today and it looked like if you cut the tabs off that lock the kips, knees and ankles into place the whole legs would become fully poseable. Is that correct or does it just become really hard to position them?

It's really poseable. One of mine is full on sprinting, while another is kicking over buildings. The way the knee joints glue together is really really stable, so that's nice (just be sure to use zip kick and super glue otherwise you'll be holding that in place for a loooong time).

d

lobbywatson
31-03-2014, 23:12
The wraithknight is a real joy to assemble. I have one stepping forward in like a "slow walk" looking pose. The tip of his back foot just touching the base. My other one is stepping on a SM. If you cut the tab and round off the hip joint tabs you are pretty unlimited with the legs. You may also have to shave the tab on the ankle too.

40k Eldar WFB Beastmen

mpepperdine
01-04-2014, 01:08
I bought the same box off Dark Sphere (discount ftw!) and build mine as follows:

10 Wraithblades w. swords - they looked too cool to not have in the army
5 Wraithguard w. d-scythes - to go in wave serpent because I'm dealing with lots of TEQs at the moment.
2 Wraithlords w. 2xBright lances and sword - heavy armour is the one still I struggle with.
Wraithknight w. Shield + Suncannon - I cant help but think that the suncannon is better... also great for running up to a Tau gunline and laughing as they fail all of their blind tests...