PDA

View Full Version : Drop pod army - what to add next?

stormtrooper154
27-03-2014, 08:32
Im currently building a drop pod army for a club Badab War campaign. As its a thematic campaign Id rather keep everything in pods or flyers. Im just currently unsure which way to go next to expand up to 1500pts and give it a little more bite. At present its sitting at 1000pts and includes:

Captain
Sternguard squad - Drop pod
Tactical squad - Drop pod
Tactical squad on foot
Contemptor - Drop pod

For the next wave of units I'm torn between getting a Storm Eagle, another Contemptor or a couple of Storm Talons.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Camman1984
27-03-2014, 09:10
Which chapter tactics you using? I think i would go for the talons for mobile fire support.

stormtrooper154
27-03-2014, 10:51
Minotaurs tactics. I'm leaning towards the Stormtalons too.

T10
27-03-2014, 11:58
I think you may want more Tactical Marines, wether or you put them in a Drop Pod or not.

-T10

hobojebus
27-03-2014, 14:10
I do like contemptors even though they are expensive, but have you considered ironclad? Mate has one he pods in and it takes some killing.

Navar
27-03-2014, 14:19
I think you may want more Tactical Marines, wether or you put them in a Drop Pod or not.

-T10

I agree with T10 here. I think you need more boots on the ground. Or, failing more tactical marines perhaps a squad of assault marines.

hobojebus
27-03-2014, 14:55
Scouts in a building work as objective holders and with their cover save are a bitch to shift.

Aegius
27-03-2014, 15:42
I've got a Storm eagle and TBH it doesn't offer enough to justify the points cost. I'm currently looking at building up an astartes storm wing. I think that 2 stormtalons and a stormraven is all the air cover you're ever going to need, and as a nice little bonus, because it's a dataslate, it doesn't take up any FOC slots.

Charistoph
27-03-2014, 16:56
I'm currently looking at building up an astartes storm wing. I think that 2 stormtalons and a stormraven is all the air cover you're ever going to need, and as a nice little bonus, because it's a dataslate, it doesn't take up any FOC slots.

I was going to suggest this myself. Put an Assault Terminator, Vanguard, or Honor Guard unit along with an Ironclad in the Raven and just be nasty.

Also, I would suggest considering a squad or two of Scouts. They could have Infiltrated there to direct the Drop Pods in, and Snipers are never too bad in the MC-heavy game Taudar bring.

Also speaking of Drop Pods, you should always have an odd number in your list, that will "add" one more to your first turn drop.

carldooley
28-03-2014, 00:41
I will admit to some ignorance, is there anything in your badab war campaign that keeps from losing turn one if you don't go first? if not, and you are using the sixth ed rules, I would highly recommend some scout bikes for scouting locator beacons.

stormtrooper154
28-03-2014, 10:14
I will admit to some ignorance, is there anything in your badab war campaign that keeps from losing turn one if you don't go first? if not, and you are using the sixth ed rules, I would highly recommend some scout bikes for scouting locator beacons.

It only applies after the end of turn one, so it wouldn't be an auto lose if I did not go first as I'd still have things arriving in turn one from drop pod assault.

I'm going to pick up another Contemptor and a couple of Storm Talons as the next element of the army. I am also thinking of doing a small contingent of Salamanders for a ground force but I'm waiting on FW to release some units for Horus Heresy.

Itsacon
28-03-2014, 11:53
Somehow, I always feel a drop pod force isn't complete without at least one Dreadnought...

hobojebus
28-03-2014, 12:55
Somehow, I always feel a drop pod force isn't complete without at least one Dreadnought...

It's just a shame they've become so fragile in 6th.

RedFox49
28-03-2014, 23:41
multi melta dreadnought in drop pod? a classic

Slayer-Fan123
29-03-2014, 00:25
It's just a shame they've become so fragile in 6th.
Hence why you buy Ironclads instead. They do the Drop Pod Suicide thing better and can then tarpit to an extent.

hobojebus
29-03-2014, 03:16
Hence why you buy Ironclads instead. They do the Drop Pod Suicide thing better and can then tarpit to an extent.

SW player here so currently I have no access to ironclad, but have faced my friends and it's not to be sniffed at.

Inquisitor Shego
29-03-2014, 03:31
SW player here so currently I have no access to ironclad, but have faced my friends and it's not to be sniffed at.

My daemons hate that ironclad. It either tarpits 20 Daemonette mobs, gets up close in cover for stealth off of its defensive grenades, or willingly pulls apart soul grinders. Usually means I have to redirect the bloodthirster or gamble the screamers otherwise it's curtains for me.

Aegius
29-03-2014, 16:07
My daemons hate that ironclad. It either tarpits 20 Daemonette mobs, gets up close in cover for stealth off of its defensive grenades, or willingly pulls apart soul grinders. Usually means I have to redirect the bloodthirster or gamble the screamers otherwise it's curtains for me.

Unfortunately, Ironclad assault launchers no longer count as having assault and defensive grenades any more. The launchers now have their own special rules, therefore, they no longer get stealth.

stormtrooper154
29-03-2014, 17:36
They still ignore the initiative penalties of assaulting through terrain and remove attack bonuses of units charging at them (unless already engaged). No mention of stealth though.

hobojebus
30-03-2014, 12:42
Demonetes losing the charge bonus makes a huge difference to the outcome as they are dependant on getting those rends off to even stand a chance.

Ruination Drinker
31-03-2014, 23:25
Get a Storm Eagle so you can drop Hammernators on someone's head.