PDA

View Full Version : Can someone visit GW HQ?

The Emperor
27-03-2014, 19:23
Hi, I was under the impression that it's possible to visit GW HQ. Is that the case? I ask because I'll be in the UK in August and I wouldn't mind visiting GW and seeing the giant Space Marine they have out front and all that. So am I just misremembering things from years back, or what? And if I can visit, can someone provide me a link to where I can find out the address and any other relevant info? Thanks.

Mini77
27-03-2014, 19:24
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/landing.jsp?articleCatId=2200008

The Emperor
27-03-2014, 19:26
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/landing.jsp?articleCatId=2200008

I've already looked at the GW website and haven't found anything to help. Do you have a direct link to where on the GW website?

shelfunit.
27-03-2014, 19:28
Warhammer World, just under the blue 40k link on the home page. Looks like it is open through to July, but I'm not sure when the re-fit is planned - that might take a while.

The Emperor
27-03-2014, 19:29
Warhammer World, just under the blue 40k link on the home page.

Ah, and that's why I've never seen it. It doesn't appear on the US GW website.

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2014, 19:36
Warhammer World is being remodeled, but is actually a different entity to GW HQ proper. You cannot enter the design studio as a regular person. Like most corporate offices, you have to sign in at the front desk and be let in via a locked door to get anywhere like "the offices."

I've taken my fair share of tours around the actual studio (mostly from 2004-2009) and while it's closer to the laid-back atmosphere of a small gaming company than a corporate giant, it's still AN OFFICE. Planning boards, an Agile development room, cubicles, the normal stuff. There a lot of neat stuff on display back there that used to be in the old mega-display museum, as well as models that never made it into production, but it's still an office. With some gaming tables. Warhammer World is actually far more entertaining in the traditional sense.

Scribe of Khorne
27-03-2014, 19:48
Agile.

*shudder*

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2014, 20:35
Agile.

*shudder*

I don't think they studio uses ACTUAL Agile in terms of producing rules and such (though they do use the basic structure), I do know that the web services team was using it though, and probably still do.

Harwammer
27-03-2014, 23:05
There is a miniature hall upstairs, a small shop (where you can order direct only/forge world and pick it up within 3 hours), a large gaming hall and an onsite pub (bar and food). I probably wouldn't personally travel a large distance for it, but it's a fun visit if you are in the area anyway. Be aware a renovation is scheduled to happen soon so might turn things on its head.

Will you be bringing any minis to the UK? A good few warseerites, including myself, are based in Nottingham and I'm sure if you ask around you'll be able to find someone to have a game, beer, food and/or chat with.

Hell, if I can get the time off work I'll be happy to take you round a few bars in Nottingham. We got bars that are like 3 or 4 times older than the USA in town. You know a bar that has been in business for 800 years can't be too bad ;).

Scribe of Khorne
28-03-2014, 00:22
I don't think they studio uses ACTUAL Agile in terms of producing rules and such (though they do use the basic structure), I do know that the web services team was using it though, and probably still do.

Oh I'm sure, its hyper common it seems, I just dont look too favorably on it as a methodology ;)

Spiney Norman
28-03-2014, 09:00
Hi, I was under the impression that it's possible to visit GW HQ. Is that the case? I ask because I'll be in the UK in August and I wouldn't mind visiting GW and seeing the giant Space Marine they have out front and all that. So am I just misremembering things from years back, or what? And if I can visit, can someone provide me a link to where I can find out the address and any other relevant info? Thanks.

Let me know when and I might be able meet you for a game lol.

Warhammer World is being remodeled, but is actually a different entity to GW HQ proper. You cannot enter the design studio as a regular person. Like most corporate offices, you have to sign in at the front desk and be let in via a locked door to get anywhere like "the offices."

That's true, but if you hang around Bugmans bar at lunch time its still possible bump into the design team, I've caught Phil Kelly and Robin Cruddace that way.

Inquisitor Engel
28-03-2014, 15:22
That's true, but if you hang around Bugmans bar at lunch time its still possible bump into the design team, I've caught Phil Kelly and Robin Cruddace that way.

As far as corporate cafeterias go, Bugman's is pretty high up there. ;) Maybe not so up there with the healthy stuff...

Herzlos
28-03-2014, 16:34
I hope they get a staff discount, though.

RevEv
28-03-2014, 17:38
I was there last week, using it as a stop off on a long North to South journey. Great atmosphere in the gaming hall as the schools league was on and the coffee was great. I did get some strange looks though as I was in uniform.

As a stop off it's great, as a destination it could be a disappointment unless you can arrange a game.

Voss
28-03-2014, 18:37
That doesn't come off as creepy at all.

breadbin
29-03-2014, 09:13
That doesn't come off as creepy at all.

You're right, it doesn't. The atmosphere at Bugman's Bar is very chilled out, with big couches, people admiring each others models, folk playing one of the board games available for customers etc. In fact, I was actually encouraged by one of the Warhammer World store staffers to spend some time in the bar if I wanted to meet any of the design team or authors. They are more than happy to discuss the hobby with fellow enthusiasts. It is a pub, after all. Plus, if they had a problem with it, they wouldn't visit the place as often as they do.

williamsond
02-04-2014, 12:19
I've been a few time over the last year as i drive up and down the uk a lot and its worth a stop just to have a look at the hall of miitures and check out some of the larger displays, the food at bugmans is nice too and is one of the few remaning GW products that is a fair price.