PDA

View Full Version : Militarum Tempestus is the new imperial guard?

Ratbeast
29-03-2014, 03:45
Militarum Tempestus is the new imperial guard? or is it a supplement?

The Emperor
29-03-2014, 03:46
Neither. Codex: Astra Militarum is the new Imperial Guard codex and Codex: Militarum Tempestus isn't labeled a supplement on its cover, and it'll have an actual army list rather than a page or two of rules modifications. It's more than likely a small army along the lines of Codex: Inquisition/Imperial Knights/Legion of the Damned which can be used as its own standalone force, albeit not a well-balanced one, or more likely as something which can be pillaged for a free allied force.

Sanai
29-03-2014, 04:09
Militarum Tempestus is a stand-alone Schola Progenium (Stormtroopers & Commissars) army.

jason_sation
29-03-2014, 16:19
I'd love to run an all Stormtrooper army, but with Vets now being a troops choice (hopefully that will remain the same in the new dex), I don't see all Scion armies as popular options due to the cost of 70 dollars a squad. Why play an almost Space Marine army when you can play a Space Marine army at a much cheaper (money wise) cost. That being said, I think an all Scion army would look awesome on the table. Loving the old school Stormtrooper/SAS berets. Glad they brought em back!

.Torch.
29-03-2014, 16:57
I think I'll be doing a themed Helghan army with these models. I'm actually interested in the Taurox. Just need to get somewheels for it. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The Emperor
29-03-2014, 19:41
Yeah, we're looking at an April 5th release date for Codex: Militarum Tempestus and probably an April 12th release for Codex: Astra Militarum.

Monkeyrazzar
30-03-2014, 03:38
I cant wait to see the new guard codex. Its about darn time if you ask me. Marines have had, what is it, 2 codexes since our last one? BS. And the militarium tempestus will be cool. Supposedly commissars are in squads of 10 while in training, and i think that would be an awesome unit. Plus the new storm trooper/scion models. Although the taurox does look a little weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kakapo42
30-03-2014, 06:40
I too am now very excited about this release. Between it's focus on elite and well-equipped, but still regular humans and the aesthetics of the new models, it seems perfect for representing an Age of Apostasy force of Frateris Templars. Even better if they're Battle Brothers (sisters?) with Adepta Sorroritas for allying in some Brides of The Emperor. :D

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 07:23
Proper inspired to do some sneaky cunning building of a S.H.I.E.L.D esque warband.

I'm thinking of doing some GI Joe's, myself. Paint some up as Duke, Flint, Roadblock, and so on.

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 07:57
I'm thinking of doing some GI Joe's, myself. Paint some up as Duke, Flint, Roadblock, and so on.

Given my Inquisitor is based on The Baroness *high fives*

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 07:58
...aaannnddd now I want an Inquisitor with a metal head. :p

Ghazbad_Facestompa
30-03-2014, 08:03
Yet another person excited to use this for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, here.

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 08:35
Yet another person excited to use this for Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, here.

I am so relieved. I have been avoiding the Grey Knight bandwagon just for this. I don't care if the rules are dire :D It's something that feels so fluffy against my skin.

...aaannnddd now I want an Inquisitor with a metal head. :p

Shouldn't be too hard. I remember my first go of painting a bionic eye when I was 11 looked like the T1000 mid transformation.

ashc
30-03-2014, 10:02
I think they look awesome but the price point is painful.

Also I really think they've made a bit of a mess with the naming of this and the new guard book, they should at least have kept some imperial in the title to avoid confusion; Militarum Imperialis for the new imperial guard book or something would have avoided the confusion that is already clear.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Lord Damocles
30-03-2014, 10:44
I cant wait to see the new guard codex. Its about darn time if you ask me. Marines have had, what is it, 2 codexes since our last one? BS.
Vanilla Marines have had only one Codex since the 5th ed. Codex: Imperial Guard (May 2009).

Ruven
30-03-2014, 11:45
I'm liking the storm troopers/scions, the trim on their armor looks like it would make for nice and easy conversions for some chaos cultists :)

Kingly
30-03-2014, 11:51
i like the new name and i like the new infantry. the guns all look ace aswell

Lanacane
30-03-2014, 16:03
I cant wait to see the new guard codex. Its about darn time if you ask me. Marines have had, what is it, 2 codexes since our last one? BS.

the shoe is on the other foot now.. guard has 2 shiny new codecii.

Except this is the commissariat and storm troopers.. and the other one "astra ministratum" is Impy's

Monkeyrazzar
30-03-2014, 19:52
Vanilla Marines have had only one Codex since the 5th ed. Codex: Imperial Guard (May 2009).

Still, the guard need an update

Monkeyrazzar
30-03-2014, 20:00
the shoe is on the other foot now.. guard has 2 shiny new codecii.

Except this is the commissariat and storm troopers.. and the other one "astra ministratum" is Impy's

Yeah I'm glad, although i think i'll stick to calling them imperial guard. Sounds better than astra militarium!

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 20:08

Incorrect.

1995 Codex: Imperial Guard (2nd Edition)
1995 Codex: Ultramarines (2nd Edition)
1998 Codex: Space Marines (3rd Edition)
1999 Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 1st Codex)
2003 Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex)
2005 Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition)
2008 Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
2009 Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition)
2013 Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition)
2014 Codex: Astra Militarum (6th Edition)

Monkeyrazzar
30-03-2014, 20:09
Incorrect.

1995 Codex: Imperial Guard (2nd Edition)
1995 Codex: Ultramarines (2nd Edition)
1998 Codex: Space Marines (3rd Edition)
1999 Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 1st Codex)
2003 Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex)
2005 Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition)
2008 Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
2009 Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition)
2013 Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition)
2014 Codex: Astra Militarum (6th Edition)

Im talking about the gap between the current guard codex and the 2 marine codex's that came out between the current guard codex's release and now

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 20:12
Look up. Only one came out, unless you're trying to include Codex: Dark Angels in that, which is an unfair comparison, as it's treated as a separate army.

Monkeyrazzar
30-03-2014, 20:13
Look up. Only one came out, unless you're trying to include Codex: Dark Angels in that, which is an unfair comparison, as it's treated as a separate army.

Their both marines armies (dark angels are AWESOME though)

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 20:15
By that argument, Imperial Guard should have four updates every edition because there's a Codex: Space Marines, Codex: Dark Angels, Codex: Blood Angels, and Codex: Space Wolves every edition, which would be totally ludicrous. Those four are treated as four separate armies, not releases for the same army.

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 21:29
I dunno Emperor, though they are separate releases, they're all marine releases. In which case I'd also include Grey Knights. Not that I'm fussed though. The only thing that bothers me with so many marine armies is the unfairness of the Allies matrix. I am always eager to see what the different chapters get each release.

Lanacane
30-03-2014, 21:47
I dunno Emperor, though they are separate releases, they're all marine releases. In which case I'd also include Grey Knights. Not that I'm fussed though. The only thing that bothers me with so many marine armies is the unfairness of the Allies matrix. I am always eager to see what the different chapters get each release.

Chuck in Chaos too.. thats essentially Space Marines.. and then the Tau.. they are sort of like Space Marines.. I mean they kill stuff right? and the Elder twins.. oh and necrons..

If we aren't going to differentiate between different armies I count a lot of codecii released since last Imperial Guard.

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 22:13
Chuck in Chaos too.. thats essentially Space Marines.. and then the Tau.. they are sort of like Space Marines.. I mean they kill stuff right? and the Elder twins.. oh and necrons..

If we aren't going to differentiate between different armies I count a lot of codecii released since last Imperial Guard.

Yes and no, but there's a couple of fundamental differences. Allies matrix, And They Shall Know No Fear are two that don't count Chaos. The rest of your argument isn't worth me debating.

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 22:25
I dunno Emperor, though they are separate releases, they're all marine releases.

That doesn't change the fact that they're separate armies. A new Codex: Dark Angels is an update for Dark Angels players. It's not an update for Blood Angel, Space Wolf, Space Marine, and Grey Knight players. A new Codex: Blood Angels is an update for Blood Angels players. It's not an update for Space Marine, Space Wolf, Grey Knight, and Dark Angel players. And so on. As an Ultramarines player I got nothing out of Codex: Dark Angels. No Ultramarine Deathwing Knights, Ultramarine Ravenwing Knights, Ultramarine Nephilim, etc. So it's not an update for me, no more than Codex: Tyranids or Codex: Adepta Sororitas. Sure, it might provide new allied units which I can take, but so can Codex: Eldar, Codex: Tau Empire, and Codex: Imperial Guard, so that's not a valid criteria either.

So no, they don't count, because each book caters to different players of different armies. They're not books which add units to one core army.

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 22:31
That doesn't change the fact that they're separate armies. A new Codex: Dark Angels is an update for Dark Angels players. It's not an update for Blood Angel, Space Wolf, Space Marine, and Grey Knight players. A new Codex: Blood Angels is an update for Blood Angels players. It's not an update for Space Marine, Space Wolf, Grey Knight, and Dark Angel players. And so on. As an Ultramarines player I got nothing out of Codex: Dark Angels, so it's not an update for me, no more than Codex: Tyranids or Codex: Adepta Sororitas. Sure, it might provide new allied units which I can take, but so can Codex: Eldar, Codex: Tau Empire, and Codex: Imperial Guard, so that's not a valid criteria either.

So no, they don't count, because each book caters to different players of different armies. They're not books which add units to one core army.

I'm not arguing that, The Emperor. Monkeyrazzar said "marine" codices. So yes they're different armies, but if you're me for example, someone with Dark Eldar, and Daemons, its pretty much The Imperium gets more love whilst the Xenos are on the back burner. Especially when you're doing narrative campaigns and it comes to picking sides. I don't know if this is GW laziness or a fear of letting go of their sacred cow but I am actually sort of sick of the oversaturation of "marine" releases.

The Emperor
30-03-2014, 22:41
And it's an invalid comparison, which is the point I'm making, because they're still separate armies. Would you even want other armies to have a number of codex books equal to the total number of Marine codex books? Think that one out logically. Within one edition cycle, do you really want to have to buy five different variations of Codex: Imperial Guard or whatever your current army is? Within the life of an edition, when a Blood Angels player spends $50 for his army book, do you think Imperial Guard players want to spend $250 for five army books and see their army and rules change on pretty much a yearly basis? Would you like to have to rework your Dark Eldar army every year and spring $50 for a new codex each time? Would that be better? Nevermind seeing every other army got reworked every year...

So yeah, I take issue with the idea that "Space Marines got two books." No, I only got one book, and Dark Angels only got one book, just as Imperial Guard will only get one book (Or two if you count Militarum Tempestus). So is there any Imperial Guard player who would've really liked to have gotten a Codex: Imperial Guard around the time that Codex: Dark Angels was released, only to see it replaced next month with yet another iteration of Codex: Imperial Guard, and then see that book replaced again sometime next year?

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 22:51
I disagree that it's an invalid comparison. In fact with the Allies matrix it's more painful now than ever. Do I want to buy multiple DE codices, or Guard? The answer's no, and simply put, people wouldn't, but part of me wonders if the Space Marine codex could encompass all chapters just as easily as the Chaos Space Marine dex has been forced to. Then more push for Xenos terrain, and making the antagonists of the universe more fleshed out.

Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Space Marines Vanilla, Grey Knights maybe at a push having their own seperate book. But that's 5 loyalist Astartes releases when they could be giving love to the Sororitas, the Mechanicum, the Guard in richer detail. That's more chance to round off and expand the Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, etc. Not only that, but like they did with the Tau, look at adding more factions to the universe, and expanding upon what we've got. However, maybe they're doing this already. There's a chance Tempestus is going to be milking/scalping guard, and there's a chance it's a rich exciting expansion and a sign of GW opening up new horizons.

So Emperor, you're completely right and I agree with you... but I still firmly believe in my argument. Make sense of that? :-/

carldooley
30-03-2014, 23:32
actually, I think that the IG Codex doesn't need an upgrade. JUST GIVE US BACK LUMBERING BEHEMOTH!!!
okay, wail of grief done. I was kind of bummed to discover that the IG, sorry Codex: Astra Militarum wasn't available for pre-order this weekend.

Inquisitor Shego
30-03-2014, 23:36
actually, I think that the IG Codex doesn't need an upgrade. JUST GIVE US BACK LUMBERING BEHEMOTH!!!
okay, wail of grief done. I was kind of bummed to discover that the IG, sorry Codex: Astra Militarum wasn't available for pre-order this weekend.

I feel that way with the Dark Eldar actually. Like I'm scared if GW touch it, they'll ruin it. We need minor fixes and they might go in with a sledgehammer.

Monkeyrazzar
31-03-2014, 05:01
I'm not arguing that, The Emperor. Monkeyrazzar said "marine" codices. So yes they're different armies, but if you're me for example, someone with Dark Eldar, and Daemons, its pretty much The Imperium gets more love whilst the Xenos are on the back burner. Especially when you're doing narrative campaigns and it comes to picking sides. I don't know if this is GW laziness or a fear of letting go of their sacred cow but I am actually sort of sick of the oversaturation of "marine" releases.

Marines in general get alota love. Their awesome, especially the supplement marine armies but i just think its a little out of proportion (the imperium in general, and this is coming from an imperial player)

Hawkkf
31-03-2014, 05:44
So here is a random thought: What if codex militarum tempestus is just a test run for flushing out the other imperial sub-factions or even xenos sub-factions. Its a direct only book so it doesn't take shelf space. Its units are used directly in a main line codex so no units are wasted on a minidex. It allows us to take a part of a faction as an ally which may or may not have different alliance levels than the parent codex.

If this is a test run then the posibilities are endless: Mechanicus, Ecclesiarchy (priests, not AdSo), Kroot, and even Harlequins could use the same template to make sub factions. Each one would potentially have 1-3 kits with dual builds that would allow them to introduce new units outside of a standard codex as well as allowing more fluffy options.

Maybe im just having an uncontrolled bout of optimism, but I could see the designers pushing for more playable options while the corporate folks look at new model and book profits. In the end this could be a way for some of our favorite sub-factions that have been lost along the way to return. Or I could just be wrong.

Bugg13
31-03-2014, 12:20
Well they've come out with 2 new sub-factions in almost as many weeks, so it looks like it could well be a sign of things to come. Not sure whether I like it or not though, I love the variety but can't help but wonder if we're seeing 'storm of chaos mark 2' - lots of small subfactions that run for a bit but don't get supported and end up falling off the back of the truck so to speak.

hobojebus
31-03-2014, 13:40
I feel that way with the Dark Eldar actually. Like I'm scared if GW touch it, they'll ruin it. We need minor fixes and they might go in with a sledgehammer.

I really don't want the SW book turning out like the DA or chaos books, but by the same token don't want to be ott like tau or eldar.

Fans should not need to worry like this when it comes to quality.

RayB HA
31-03-2014, 14:15
As these mini codexes(sp?) or supplements are becoming more frequent they 'should' either reduce the cost or flesh them out a bit. Obviously if they're going to sell less of these half size full price codexes the cost of the product will be higher in comparison to a 'proper' codex, but if they reduced the chaff and made it soft back they might sell more of the new models that would have affordable rules! A supplement that took the shape and size of the new dwarfed white dwarf would do.

SM codexs are pretty sickening when there isn't much difference between them. DA are the worst for this! BA get fast vehicles and nice unique units. Wolves get, well, wolves and termi sergeants. DA have neph, plasma guns and a huge armoury. To be honest BTs are about as different. They could have made so many supplements! Wait, what's that? an Iron hands supplement! ;)

My main concern is quality of rules, balance and playability.

Cheers,

RayB HA

Lanacane
31-03-2014, 14:49
I really don't want the SW book turning out like the DA or chaos books, but by the same token don't want to be ott like tau or eldar.

Fans should not need to worry like this when it comes to quality.

if Kelly gets his grubby hands on it again.. expect even more cheese

Ironbone
31-03-2014, 15:32
We will see, we will see. Cheese rules are sadly univaiudable when comes to GW designers sometimes poor ( or decent in idea, but not in implemantation ) "moments of genious" :rolleyes:.

But source material is wide, so it maybe won't be that bad.

The Emperor
31-03-2014, 16:39
I disagree that it's an invalid comparison. In fact with the Allies matrix it's more painful now than ever. Do I want to buy multiple DE codices, or Guard? The answer's no, and simply put, people wouldn't, but part of me wonders if the Space Marine codex could encompass all chapters just as easily as the Chaos Space Marine dex has been forced to. Then more push for Xenos terrain, and making the antagonists of the universe more fleshed out.

That's actually something I've been in agreement with for a while, at least when it comes to the Blood Angels and Dark Angels. Unfortunately, with their two most recent Codex books, GW's gone out of their way to differentiate both from a standard Codex Chapter when both are supposed to be Codex Chapter's with only a handful of differences. Back during 2nd Edition the only difference was Blood Angels had Death Company and a Veteran Assault Squad and Dark Angels had Terminators who were immune to psychology. Now all of a sudden we have Sanguinary Guard, Baal Predators, Ravenwing Knights, Deathwing Knights, Nephilim, Darkshrouds, and so on. They really should've made the effort to integrate the Blood Angels and Dark Angels into Codex: Space Marines rather than trying to differentiate them even more.

Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Space Marines Vanilla, Grey Knights maybe at a push having their own seperate book. But that's 5 loyalist Astartes releases when they could be giving love to the Sororitas, the Mechanicum, the Guard in richer detail. That's more chance to round off and expand the Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, etc. Not only that, but like they did with the Tau, look at adding more factions to the universe, and expanding upon what we've got. However, maybe they're doing this already. There's a chance Tempestus is going to be milking/scalping guard, and there's a chance it's a rich exciting expansion and a sign of GW opening up new horizons.

No argument there. I was just discussing the particular case of comparing Imperial Guard to Space Marine releases, as the Imperial Guard haven't suffered as they've gotten pretty much as many releases as a Vanilla Space Marine player, and have actually gotten more releases than a Dark Angels, Blood Angels, or Space Wolf player. Not to mention that, of all the codex books the Blood Angels have gotten for instance, they've only ever had one real codex out of the four they've had. One they shared with the Dark Angels, one was just a half-codex which required Codex: Space Marines, and one was a White Dwarf article, so Imperial Guard are doing fine in the codex department. Better than most, probably.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a couple more Xenos armies as well as Adeptus Mechanicus.

So Emperor, you're completely right and I agree with you... but I still firmly believe in my argument. Make sense of that? :-/

Somewhat. :p

IcedCrow
31-03-2014, 17:25
If only we would get an Adeptus Mechanicus soon.

Ironbone
31-03-2014, 17:42
If only we would get an Adeptus Mechanicus soon.
Well, FW have preety decent ( at least fluffwise, I don't know how well it performs on the battlefield ) AdMech army list, that will be further expandes in upcoming HH book 3 ;).

MajorWesJanson
31-03-2014, 21:43
Well, FW have preety decent ( at least fluffwise, I don't know how well it performs on the battlefield ) AdMech army list, that will be further expandes in upcoming HH book 3 ;).

Yeah, the FW AdMech models and rules are quite nice. Between Open Day and the Knight, AdMech just picked up like double the number of models/units they had a month ago.

Inquisitor Shego
31-03-2014, 21:56
That Ad-Mech tank that looks like a warp lightning cannon made me orgasm. OMG it's like the eldritch recesses of a sculptor's mind went 100% Evangelion synch ratio with the darkest fatalism of the 40k universe. Long may that trend continue