PDA

View Full Version : What can be good magic item builds for a beastman hero/lord

twinsword
31-03-2014, 10:01
So i was thinking on diffrent builds on my beastlord and thougth it could be fun if you pepoles (and other foul creatures) if you submited youre builds other fun builds you have come up they dont have to be good just instresting.
here are some of mine

Beastmen lord
Fencer's Blades
Glittering Scales
Talisman of Endurance
This more crazy then good yes she will be shot to pices, yes she wont surive the magic phase for long. BUT! goddame she will be hard to hit! figthing youre standard grunt with WS4 they will only hit her on a 6+ and everyels on a 5+ (mostly)

Doombull
Sword of Bloodshed
Ramhornhelm
Gouge-tusks
Heavy armour
Enchated shield (if it can have it a bit unsure if not change gouge-tusks to Gnarled hide and a normal shield)
Potion of Foolhardiness
In the words of miley cyrus "it came in like a wreckingball!" With 9 attacks on the charge with 10 if it drinks its soda + d3 impact hits and 1+ or 2+ armour save that if he saves a wound it gets to hit you! and when he wins in a figth he gets 1 more attack...and oh he also causes fear. Stick it in a troop of 3 minos or just as it is and watch as it slaugthers even the most hardend knigths!

Mozzamanx
31-03-2014, 11:35
You've missed out the best one!

Doombull- Sword of Swift Slaying / Sword of Striking, Ramhorn Helm, Dawnstone, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour Shield. You even have a few points left over to get the Other Trickster's Shard if you like.

He has a 1+ save, that he can reroll if failed. Every time he passes an Armour Save, he immediately resolves another attack. Said attack is WS6/S6, and normally either hits on a 2+ or gets rerolls. See where this is going?
Throw him into nearly any unit, and he will come out the other side. He is almost immortal and punishes the enemy brutally for even attempting to hurt him. Because his damage comes from making saves, he becomes more efficient by throwing him into more dangerous opponents. Savage Orcs and Witch Elves will lose entire ranks every turn with absolutely nothing to show for it. And as the finishing touch, he gains an extra Attack every time he wins a fight.

I love my Rambull.

SkawtheFalconer
31-03-2014, 12:17
I've played a combo like this before - very unpleasant! :P Does he have a Ward save? That's the only potential weakness I see (even though he's still nails)

Alltaken
31-03-2014, 13:07
Regular shields and magic weapons arent aloud to be taken together, or did I miss it getting faq'd?

A funny build, go arabyan carpet with the ASF sword and enchanted shield (if points allow), armour him as much as posible (gnarled hide) and enjoy a surprised face on your enemies

From my servoskull

Micalovits
31-03-2014, 13:39
You can take shields and magic weapons, you just won't get a parry save

furrie
31-03-2014, 13:55
So i was thinking on diffrent builds on my beastlord and thougth it could be fun if you pepoles (and other foul creatures) if you submited youre builds other fun builds you have come up they dont have to be good just instresting.
here are some of mine

Beastmen lord
Fencer's Blades
Glittering Scales
Talisman of Endurance
This more crazy then good yes she will be shot to pices, yes she wont surive the magic phase for long. BUT! goddame she will be hard to hit! figthing youre standard grunt with WS4 they will only hit her on a 6+ and everyels on a 5+ (mostly)

Doombull
Sword of Bloodshed
Ramhornhelm
Gouge-tusks
Heavy armour
Enchated shield (if it can have it a bit unsure if not change gouge-tusks to Gnarled hide and a normal shield)
Potion of Foolhardiness
In the words of miley cyrus "it came in like a wreckingball!" With 9 attacks on the charge with 10 if it drinks its soda + d3 impact hits and 1+ or 2+ armour save that if he saves a wound it gets to hit you! and when he wins in a figth he gets 1 more attack...and oh he also causes fear. Stick it in a troop of 3 minos or just as it is and watch as it slaugthers even the most hardend knigths!

You can't have the ramhornhelm and shield, because there both magic armour

badguyshaveallthefun
31-03-2014, 15:19
This is my favorite build:
Great Bray Shaman:
lvl 4 upgrade
Beast Magic
Fencers blades
Jagged Dagger
Talisman of Preservation
There's 10 more points to sprinkle about as you see fit

He's got WS10, T5, and a 4++ for defensive capabilities, WS10, 3A, primal fury, and S5 (he goes in the unit with the beast banner) for offensive capability. And he gets a free power dice for every model that he kills in cc, sprinkle in a little beast magic for fun (savage beast is one of my favorite) and for a wizard, he's actually quite capable.

This is how I usually kit out my beastlord:
armor of destiny
shield
brass cleaver
potion of strength

He's got a 3+/4++ and T5 for defensive capability, and then WS6, primal fury, between 5-7 attacks, and S5 (8 for one turn) for offensive capability. He typically runs in a unit of bestigors with the standard of discipline so that the entire army can get LD 10. He does pretty well considering he's not a Daemon Prince or a Chaos Lord (my other army that I play)

For heroes:

I always run the 206 wargor for my bsb. You have to be careful what this guy fights (if he even fights at all) as you don't want to lose him....ever...

I then usually run a shadow battery around a herdstone for the rest of my heroes:
lvl 1 w/ shadow, shard of the herdstone
lvl 1 w/ shadow, dispel scroll, shadow hide
lvl 1 w/ shadow, chalice of dark rain

shard of the herdstone is self-explanatory, as is dispel scroll and chalice. Shadow hide is there because I always try to make sure that there is some kind of cover in my deployment zone, this is where the herdstone goes, and then my wizards bunker in a 10-man unit of raiders, both to provide a LoS! against templates, and a -3 (at least) modifier to BS based shooting before range, moving and multiple shots even begin to factor in. I've never lost these guys. Ever. (I've also modeled my herdstone a little large so that if chargers threaten, they can just run around the herdstone avoiding line of sight, so the only way to ever kill these guys is magic/shooting)

I want to run the ramhorn helm doombull, but I've always just gone back to my default great-bray/beastlord, as I need the 4 levels of magic and ld10 in my army.

Alltaken
31-03-2014, 17:45
Wierd in spanish it states that a magic weapon can not be used along a regular shield for aded protection, implying 6+ and 6++ in the same phrase

From my servoskull

badguyshaveallthefun
31-03-2014, 21:32
Yes, in English it works this way:

mundane hw + shield = 6+ armor/armor save +1 (choose which applies), parry save 6++

magical hw + shield = 6+ armor/armor save+1 (choose which applies), no parry save

twinsword
01-04-2014, 10:42
Yes, in English it works this way:

mundane hw + shield = 6+ armor/armor save +1 (choose which applies), parry save 6++

magical hw + shield = 6+ armor/armor save+1 (choose which applies), no parry save

hw + shield = 5+ for the armor and 1+ for the shield or what did you mean?

SpanielBear
01-04-2014, 12:34
hw + shield = 5+ for the armor and 1+ for the shield or what did you mean?

A basic shield grants +1 armour save.

With just a shield, with no other armour, upgrades or mount, the model would have a 6+ armour save.

However, if the model had armour from another source, the armour save is improved. So a model with light armour for a 6+ save, if it then equiped a shield it would improve to a 5+ save.

On top of all this, if a model uses a regular hand weapon along with a shield, it gains a bonus ward save of 6++. This is in addition to the armour save, and is often referred to as a 'parry' save.

Due to the complications involved in using magic, if the model is using a magical hand weapon it loses the parry save. It still has the improved armour save a shield regularly grants.

Hope that clarifies!

Leogun_91
01-04-2014, 18:47
Allright maybe not for one but for a couple this is horrible.

Herdstone shard for a Bray shaman
Fozzriks folding fortress for a Great Bray shaman
Skull of Rarkos on second Great Bray Shaman

Now cheese out with a big unit in the tower casting many spells all the time.

Mozzamanx
01-04-2014, 19:04
I don't see why you'd need the Folding Fortress for that one. The Herdstone requires you to place an actual piece of terrain to use it and there are no restrictions regarding its size or height. Even a modestly-sized one should block Line-of-Sight to 2-3 of the blighters.

Another fun option is to take a Beastlord on Chariot with the Brass Cleaver and Slugskin. After he charges into combat, you can make a Combat Reform to put the Chariot 'lengthways' across the enemy rank. While it prevents the beast attacking, it typically lines your Beastlord up with 6-7 enemy models (Depending on base size) who all get to chow down on free S3 hits and extra Cleaver attacks.

There are many issues with the Beastmen book but the characters and magic items are just delightful.

Leogun_91
01-04-2014, 19:39
I don't see why you'd need the Folding Fortress for that one. The Herdstone requires you to place an actual piece of terrain to use it and there are no restrictions regarding its size or height. Even a modestly-sized one should block Line-of-Sight to 2-3 of the blighters.You don't need it but it makes it worse, if they are hiding in a fortress together with a unit they can not be targeted or locked in combat and any of the units that could hunt wizards (fast cav etc) finds this quite impossible.

Another one that is more fun than cheesy is to take the Skin of Man on a chariot mounted Bray Shaman using lore of shadows and watch the shock of your enemy when suddenly a tooled up beast lord on Razorgor chariot stands behind his lines.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
01-04-2014, 19:52
Another one that is more fun than cheesy is to take the Skin of Man on a chariot mounted Bray Shaman using lore of shadows and watch the shock of your enemy when suddenly a tooled up beast lord on Razorgor chariot stands behind his lines.

Heh. A guy in my club does this with a level 2 shadow on a flying carpet. It's pretty hilarious. Just don't forget that the character he's switching with has to be inside 18"!

badguyshaveallthefun
01-04-2014, 21:28
I would agree with others, for all the faults and flaws of the beastmen book, you can have a terrible amount of fun with the list, especially with the characters, who overall aren't too bad.

I also happen to think that aside from warriors of chaos (my primary army, which I love) they have the best looking models of any model range, and there are some alternative manufacturers out there that produce some pretty sexy models as well.

I might have to try that folding fortress trick, that sounds entertaining :)

lobbywatson
03-04-2014, 01:53
The Doombull is lights out. He can only be stopped usually by magic. He has a steroid problem and is ok with it. He doesn't pity the fool that lets themselves get charged.
Don't sweat the parry save at all. You'll be in blood greed frenzy round 2 so you wouldn't get it anyways.

40k Eldar WFB Beastmen

The French Guy
03-04-2014, 09:59
Here is what I came up with yesterday, playing with Lords/Heroes sections of the book:

Doombull:
+2A sword, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, shield, Ramhorn Helm, the dawn stone, ironcurse icon. 353pts
(8A on first round, rerollable 1+ armor save that generates more attacks, 6++ against warmachine for him -rerollable- and his minotaurs budies)

Great Bray-shaman:
Level 4 (beast), chalice of dark rain, dispel scroll, ruby ring. 325pts

Gorebull:
BSB banner of discipline, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, shield. 212pts

Wargor:
sword of anti hero, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, enchanted shield. 139pts

Those are part of a 3000pts army list,
Doombull and Gorebull are in a 6 minotaurs unit,
Wargor in a 39 bestigor unit with terro banner
and the shaman is in a 6 ungors raiders unit, behind the frontline to buff units.

furrie
03-04-2014, 10:47
Here is what I came up with yesterday, playing with Lords/Heroes sections of the book:

Doombull:
+2A sword, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, shield, Ramhorn Helm, the dawn stone, ironcurse icon. 353pts
(8A on first round, rerollable 1+ armor save that generates more attacks, 6++ against warmachine for him -rerollable- and his minotaurs budies)

Great Bray-shaman:

Gorebull:
BSB banner of discipline, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, shield. 212pts

Wargor:
sword of anti hero, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, enchanted shield. 139pts

Those are part of a 3000pts army list,
Doombull and Gorebull are in a 6 minotaurs unit,
Wargor in a 39 bestigor unit with terro banner
and the shaman is in a 6 ungors raiders unit, behind the frontline to buff units.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the gifts can only be given once per army. So no scaly skin 5+ for all those characters

The French Guy
03-04-2014, 12:03
Completely burst my scaly bubble...
Seemed too good to be true!

Well, not as good now, but here is how it looks like:

Doombull:
+2A sword, scaly skin 5+, heavy armor, shield, Ramhorn Helm, the dawn stone. 348pts

Great Bray-shaman:

Gorebull:
BSB banner of discipline, heavy armor, shield, many-limbed fiend. 217pts

Wargor:
Brass cleaver, enchanted shield, heavy armor, luckstone, ironcurse icon. 134pts

The French Guy
04-04-2014, 12:53
In your opinion guys, what would be the best composition? :)

Compo 1:
Beastlord
Doombull
Level 2 shaman
Level 2 shaman
BSB Gorebull

Compo 2:
Doombull
Level 4 shaman
BSB Gorebull
Wargor

badguyshaveallthefun
04-04-2014, 20:46
I'd go with option 2. Make your lvl 4 the general and put him in a unit of bestigors with the standard of discipline. You'll be ld 9 for primal fury, you'll have a lvl 4 for casting/dispel, and you'll still have the amazing blender that is the doombull. Just make sure to take good care of that great bray, he's a VERY important model in that list, and a smart opponent will be gunning for him with everything he can.

thegoss84
04-04-2014, 22:04
I like running:

Beastlord on Chariot
Brass Cleaver
Ramhorn Helm
Dawnstone
The Other Tricksters Shard
Gnarled Hide
Shield

and sometimes I'll run a lvl 2 Shadow on Chariot with The Skin of Man for switching out shenanigans.