PDA

View Full Version : Kinslayer

Soul Hunter
31-03-2014, 19:56
Gotrek and Felix are back!

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s336/UltimateDeidara/Kinslayer_zps6844d74b.jpg

The main series will be continuing with David Guymer as the new author replacing Nathan Long, and it sounds like it'll be a great read with this blurb released on Amazon.

Once heroes and companions on the greatest of adventures, Gotrek Gurnisson and Felix Jaeger have long since gone their separate ways. Felix, married and working for the family business in Altdorf, embarks on a journey north to Kislev when he hears that an old comrade has been captured by the forces of Chaos. Reunited with Gotrek, and other old friends, Felix begins to suspect that he has embarked upon his final adventure. And in the cold north, Gotrek's doom awaits him -

Felix a family man, and Gotrek out there on his own. Can't wait to see how this changes things for the duo.

SH

MiyamatoMusashi
31-03-2014, 21:44
Once heroes and companions on the greatest of adventures, Gotrek Gurnisson and Felix Jaeger have long since gone their separate ways.

So this is an April Fool, right?

DarkChaplain
31-03-2014, 21:56
Not unless putting the blurb up on Amazon weeks before April 1st counts for some ungodly reason.

Wait and see how the situation is being explained, and how much time has actually passed since. David's still writing on it as it is.

EmperorNorton
31-03-2014, 22:07
First, I like that picture a whole lot.
Second, the last thing about Gotrek & Felix that I read was the fourth Omnibus, and I am not sure if there is more after that which I may have missed, but in the fourth Omnibus the possibility of Gotrek releasing Felix is mentioned so I don't find the idea of them going their separate ways outlandish.

DarkWarrior1981
01-04-2014, 09:48
Wait and see. In the end the whole story is a dream or something like this and never actually happened. :D

Also it could be part of the story between King's and Long's respective Slayer of the... stories. There are several years which were never filled with content and recently some authors are writing stuff set in this time frame.

Grimstonefire
02-04-2014, 20:33
This doesn't seem to tie in with Zombieslayer at all...?

I'm intrigued enough to buy it, or at least await some reviews.

I'm a huge G&F fan, but I'm extremely wary of buying anything that I can't retcon into the timeline.

DarkChaplain
02-04-2014, 22:33
Note: This is going to be a hardback release first, so expect the trade paperback (which will fit in line with the Omnibuses and recent non-slayer novels) in fall 2015.

shadowhawk2008
03-04-2014, 02:59
Note: This is going to be a hardback release first, so expect the trade paperback (which will fit in line with the Omnibuses and recent non-slayer novels) in fall 2015.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DarkWarrior1981
03-04-2014, 13:58
Thats not nice, GreedyLibrary strikes again.

Perrin
03-04-2014, 14:53
This may the best BL news I've heard in weeks :p

I haven't read any of David Guymer's stuff before, any opinions on his works?

Also, continuing from Zombieslayer
Zombieslayer I believe ends with Gotrek releasing Felix from his oath (when Gotrek is dying) and Felix looking forward to starting a new life with Kat. The thing is though, Kat had an oath to fight beastmen for the rest of her life, hates living in cities, and needs to travel with Gotrek due to the rejuvenation properties that his axe may have. That doesn't fit at all with going to Altdorf and taking over the family business. It also ended with the heroes + Kat and Snorri on their way to Karak Kadrin, to try and heal Snorri.

I'm not entirely sure the blurb fits with all of that...

DarkChaplain
04-04-2014, 12:47
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Amazon lists it for roughly October, as hardcover.
A small mercy about that is that at least it will be available elsewhere for 15-20€, rather than the 25€ it'd be with GW exclusivity...

I haven't read any of David Guymer's stuff before, any opinions on his works?

I loved his Queek Headtaker novel, and read about a quarter of his G&F novel City of the Damned before I got distracted by other things, but will get back to it soon, as I enjoyed it.
Headtaker was really good, damn ratty and it turned Queek into an interesting character beyond the whole "he beheads his foes and collects them" blurb. Especially the parts questioning his sanity and competence made for a good time.

shadowhawk2008
04-04-2014, 16:29
Amazon lists it for roughly October, as hardcover.
A small mercy about that is that at least it will be available elsewhere for 15-20€, rather than the 25€ it'd be with GW exclusivity...

Still sucks. Are they going to go full on hardcover now? The switch to TPB has already been trouble enough.

MiyamatoMusashi
05-04-2014, 19:46
Hear, hear.

DarkChaplain
06-04-2014, 00:22
Still sucks. Are they going to go full on hardcover now? The switch to TPB has already been trouble enough.

Well, with G&F it at least makes some sense, considering its their longest-running Fantasy series and has a lot of fans. Though I still find it stupid, since the series has been running for so long, every bit of uniformity will go out the window with the hardback treatment. Then again, they obviously didn't care about uniformity when they switched formats, styles and artists for Time of Legends, after the first three new titles in the 2nd row of trilogies.

So yeah, its BL being BL. Business as usual...

Grimstonefire
06-04-2014, 11:03
2nd row of trilogies? I must have missed that rumour. I've read all three of the time of legends trilogies.

shadowhawk2008
06-04-2014, 12:16
2nd row of trilogies? I must have missed that rumour. I've read all three of the time of legends trilogies.

First phase: The Sundering, Life of Sigmar, Rise of Nagash.

Second phase: Blood of Nagash (Josh Reynolds), War of Vengeance (Nick Kyme and Chris Wraight, four books), Black Plague (C. L. Werner, this is wrapped up).

Soul Hunter
02-06-2014, 22:06
The full cover is out now.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s336/UltimateDeidara/71BSSpIV0yL_zps4fd60d66.jpg

The end is nigh...

SH

Perrin
02-06-2014, 23:27
Is there any more information about whether or not this follows on from Zombieslayer? The title suggests yes, but the blurb doesn't.

Death Nikorps
02-06-2014, 23:49
This is the sequel to Zombieslayer, but that happens a few years after ...

The real serie is back !

Poncho160
03-06-2014, 01:09
So they are going to kill Gotrek off???

Definently a must buy for me, been reading these books since I was a kid :)

MiyamatoMusashi
03-06-2014, 07:00
"Book 1 of the Doom of Gotrek Gurnisson"? C'mon, the whole flippin' series has been the Doom of Gotrek Gurnisson (even if he's not found it yet... and if it only counts as his doom when he actually dies, "book 1 of" doesn't count either).

Not looking very promising, is it?

Anakwanar
03-06-2014, 08:54
He will die eventually :)

Perrin
02-07-2014, 10:48
Not sure how many people saw this interview with David Guymer about Kinslayer: http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/New_Gotewk_and_Felix_novel_revealed.html

Some time has passed since the events of Zombieslayer and our heroes have gone their separate ways: Felix and Kat have returned to the Empire to try and build some kind of a life, Snorri has been left to the tender mercies of Grimnir’s priesthood, and Gotrek… Well, for Gotrek there can be nothing but his own doomed quest.

The story sees Felix’s dreams of a quiet retirement shattered by the outbreak of war. Chaos forces are rampaging through Kislev and an old friend has been taken captive. Reluctant perhaps, but still the hero, Felix dons his Sudenland wool cloak and straps on Karaghul once more to fight his way north. As he goes, he is forced to face a monster to whet the bloodlust of any Trollslayer, and to confront aspects of Gotrek’s and Snorri’s past that should perhaps have remained hidden.

It seems like it does follow on from Zombieslayer, yet unfortunately all the plot lines from the end of that book are tied up in the gap between the two stories.

Not sure how I feel about Kat going to live in a city, as there was so much in Shamanslayer and Zombieslayer about her hating cities and large gatherings of people and vowing not to leave the forests till all the beastmen are dead...

Lord Zarkov
02-07-2014, 21:01
Not sure how I feel about Kat going to live in a city, as there was so much in Shamanslayer and Zombieslayer about her hating cities and large gatherings of people and vowing not to leave the forests till all the beastmen are dead...

Not to mention the fact that
she has to follow Gotrek around so the magic of his axe can counteract Kemmler's curse

Barghest
11-07-2014, 19:42

Figures. That **** is what dropped the Horus Heresy books from being back-to-back New York Times bestsellers to obscurity.

I am still very interested in this book, though, and I'll definitely get it. The authors who have taken over the G&F series have been very good authors in general. I have Serpent Queen, but it's a couple of books down on my reading list. I still need to get City of the Damned.

Private_SeeD
01-08-2014, 10:44
IMO City of the Damned was a poor effort but on the flip side Serpent Queen was a bloody good read. The points made by others don't ring any bells so I'll have to fish out my copies of shaman slayer and zombie slayer cause I don't even remember a character called Kat in them

antihierophant
02-08-2014, 17:09
I have Serpent Queen, but it's a couple of books down on my reading list. I still need to get City of the Damned.

City of the Damned was a real disappointment I'm sad to say. Serpent Queen however is probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite G&F book ever!

Interestingly Serpent does discuss the idea of Felix leaving Gotrek/Gotrek replacing Felix and was done with a rather sweet touch that it would be a shame to see ruined by splitting them up, unless it's done very well and in the right way. Felix as a hates it/loves it/hates how much he loves it partner to the doom seeking Gotrek has always been part of the appeal. Always reminds me of Bilbo in the Hobbit reminiscing about home and cozy cup of tea in front of the fire but carrying on anyway.

General Peakatrov
16-08-2014, 09:57
Hi guys, sorry if this is a bit of threadomancy, but I've just made an account to share some HUGE NEWS!

Waterstones has got Book II of the Doom of Gotrek Gurnisson up on their website, with a cover and all:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/david+guymer/gotrek+26+felix3a+slayer/10918739/

Set to come out 02/04/2015, with the simple name of "Slayer", I would recommend not reading the blurb if you want to protect yourself from spoilers. It's got a few big ones!

The cover has a dark figure in the background, could it be Belakor?!? And Gotrek has lost his eyepatch?

Just seen that someone has a better picture of the cover art on heresy-online:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159586
But he hasn't got a responses :(

DarkChaplain
17-08-2014, 07:48
Spoiler from City of the Damned. Haven't finished the novel yet, but flicked through the last pages:

Be'lakor was in it. It hinted at future meetings, from what I gathered, so it seems pretty much confirmed that the cover-daemon is him

Warpsoul
25-08-2014, 12:24
Burning question:

Was Kinslayer written with the Nagash campaign in mind?

If the End times are indeed moving the timeline forward, how do the new Gotrek & Felix books factor into things?

DarkChaplain
25-08-2014, 13:12
Gotrek is mentioned in the prologue of The Return of Nagash, in a way that hints at Kinslayer's blurb from Amazon. I'd imagine that the Doom of Gotrek story arc will directly play into the End Times.
TRoN kicks off about 2522 IC, and carries on for a few years throughout the novel, from what I heard. Plenty of time for G&F to get involved.

DarkChaplain
29-08-2014, 15:31
HOLY CARP!

The saga of Gotrek and Felix will conclude in Slayer Spring 2015

From the last page of Kinslayer's ebook. Wow. They're ending the Saga?! Here's hoping for more continuity-free novels...

The Prologue is looking promising

Snorri Nosebiter is remembering how he convinced Gotrek to join Borek Forkbeard's expedition to a dwarf hold in the Chaos Wastes. Snorri's memory is coming back, and he needs a beer.
Gotrek wanted to decline:

‘Do it,’ urged Snorri. ‘It will be just like your adventures with Hamnir. Only with Snorri.’
‘It’s different now and you know it,’ said Gotrek, though from the wistfulness in his tone it was clear that he was not at all as sure of his position as he wanted to be. ‘I have a family to consider.’

Warpsoul
30-08-2014, 13:02
Gotrek is mentioned in the prologue of The Return of Nagash, in a way that hints at Kinslayer's blurb from Amazon. I'd imagine that the Doom of Gotrek story arc will directly play into the End Times.
TRoN kicks off about 2522 IC, and carries on for a few years throughout the novel, from what I heard. Plenty of time for G&F to get involved.

Thank you. The Nagash book is on my Christmas list, until then...

If indeed Gotrek meets the glorious doom he seeks, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Axe. Will it go back to the Dwarf holds? Or fall by the wayside, passing out of memory into legend like before?

And if Gotrek dies and Felix survives, that must mean Felix will lose his immortality/ longevity. Since the pair are cosmically connected in some way? Interesting times ahead.

nagash66
30-08-2014, 23:28
Finished the book, easily the best in the Series since Bill King left. And in true End of times spirit major characters (both from the series and army books) dropping like flies.

DarkChaplain
31-08-2014, 00:39
Finished the book, easily the best in the Series since Bill King left. And in true End of times spirit major characters (both from the series and army books) dropping like flies.

Any chance for spoilers?

nagash66
31-08-2014, 00:57
Any chance for spoilers?

Snorri remebers his shame, which was by means of his actions to both directly and indirectly cause the death of Gotreks family, he is killed by Gotrek at the end of the novel

South kislev has been annexed by the empire into North Ostermark and a army led by Vlad Von Carstein under a fake name ( with the approval of he higher Imperial leadership) holds station behind a magically erected wall.

Praag and Kislev have fallen with Praag being the capital of a new Troll country led by Throgg, who is capturing wizards ( and max) in order to make other trolls smart as him.

The wall is taken down by a chaos warlord who is fleeing the troll king into the south but he is stopped by Vlad. Ulrica Felix and some Dwarfs ( Felix having been manipulated to leave his pregant wife and help Ulrica save max)

Vlads plan is to make an alliance with the troll king against Acharon and so send Ulrica to Praag with Felix there to keep the Chaos influence over her beast side in check as the last link to her humanity, it fails, she is too far gone Vampire wise and he ends up having to kill her.

Gotrek Manages to kill the Troll king save Max but killes snorri for his part in his past, the book ends with Belacor declaring he is the chosen end for the duo.

Too much going on to go into more detail , between Gotreks and Snorris pasts, Felix family and the revelations about the warhammer world and the Northern and Sylvanian fronts in the Empire during the End times this book is just packed.

I want to add that the Trolll king gets a plenty of Screen time and he is a deep well written and interesting character, i honestly felt sorry for him, and would have liked more of him in it, if not a whole book dedicated.

TheRiverTrollKing
31-08-2014, 02:25
It seems like a good book. How many books are they releasing for this series?

DarkChaplain
31-08-2014, 02:28
Snorri remebers his shame, which was by means of his actions to both directly and indirectly cause the death of Gotreks family, he is killed by Gotrek at the end of the novel

South kislev has been annexed by the empire into North Ostermark and a army led by Vlad Von Carstein under a fake name ( with the approval of he higher Imperial leadership) holds station behind a magically erected wall.

Praag and Kislev have fallen with Praag being the capital of a new Troll country led by Throgg, who is capturing wizards ( and max) in order to make other trolls smart as him.

The wall is taken down by a chaos warlord who is fleeing the troll king into the south but he is stopped by Vlad. Ulrica Felix and some Dwarfs ( Felix having been manipulated to leave his pregant wife and help Ulrica save max)

Vlads plan is to make an alliance with the troll king against Acharon and so send Ulrica to Praag with Felix there to keep the Chaos influence over her beast side in check as the last link to her humanity, it fails, she is too far gone Vampire wise and he ends up having to kill her.

Gotrek Manages to kill the Troll king save Max but killes snorri for his part in his past, the book ends with Belacor declaring he is the chosen end for the duo.

Too much going on to go into more detail , between Gotreks and Snorris pasts, Felix family and the revelations about the warhammer world and the Northern and Sylvanian fronts in the Empire during the End times this book is just packed.

I want to add that the Trolll king gets a plenty of Screen time and he is a deep well written and interesting character, i honestly felt sorry for him, and would have liked more of him in it, if not a whole book dedicated.

Sounds like it plays after The Return of Nagash, then!

Vlad is brought back at the end of TRoN, and forced into serving Nagash, it seems. Same goes for Mannfred, he'd rather not serve him. At least judging from the quick glance I had

Perrin
31-08-2014, 14:58
But why Snorri? I liked that Slayer. I guess its good that he died, he was a slayer, but still. D:

DAMN IT. Have you not heard of spoiler tags, seriously man?! :mad:

Death Nikorps
08-09-2014, 17:28
Here my review of Gotrek & Felix: Kinslayer:

https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/status/509027292958720001

(you can click on the US/UK flag to translate into english)

:)

Anakwanar
11-09-2014, 18:55
Here my review of Gotrek & Felix: Kinslayer:

https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/status/509027292958720001

(you can click on the US/UK flag to translate into english)

Fantastic review man - but i cant agree with you. What is confusing in it - i have read all previous Slayer books, and i know everything that is happening. No confusion where. These is an EPIC book - the best since the 'Daemonslayer' and Guymer deserve my respect for it

DarkChaplain
11-09-2014, 22:43
but i cant agree with you. What is confusing in it - i have read all previous Slayer books, and i know everything that is happening. No confusion where.

Buddy, you've made that point over what, four threads today? And at least THREE other users have brought up the point of the prose and scene-hopping being a tad confusing. If it wasn't an issue for you in particular - great, I'm happy for you. But if various people comment on a certain sense of confusion, and pretty much agree on the confusing aspects, then they're either all simple-minded Snorris, or the book is actually confusing in places.

Death Nikorps
12-09-2014, 00:18
Fantastic review man - but i cant agree with you. What is confusing in it - i have read all previous Slayer books, and i know everything that is happening. No confusion where. These is an EPIC book - the best since the 'Daemonslayer' and Guymer deserve my respect for it

Thanks.

I said in the review about the "confusing" that this was MY point of view, what I felt when I read it. I'm sure there will be no problems for others readers, maybe I was just too tired, or not good enough in english (I'm french). In all my reviews I say just what I feel.

But yes, it is a good book, 14/20 is far from bad. I liked it. But, I don't know exactly why, I just enjoyed it less then others books.

And Gotrek & Felix Trollslayer was my first BL book ever, It was 6 years ago. I really really love this series, and I said that Mr Guymer did a very very great job. I'm sure Slayer will be an awesome conlusion.

Kiergos828
12-09-2014, 00:41
Buddy, you've made that point over what, four threads today? And at least THREE other users have brought up the point of the prose and scene-hopping being a tad confusing. If it wasn't an issue for you in particular - great, I'm happy for you. But if various people comment on a certain sense of confusion, and pretty much agree on the confusing aspects, then they're either all simple-minded Snorris, or the book is actually confusing in places.

Another 'simple-minded Snorri' here to join the throng. It was rather confusing at the start, leaping from character to character across the world with little to no warning at points. And what made it worse is that it did it during some heated and tense scene's as well, totally ruining the pacing, drama and tension built up. As well as the readers... Well, what I'd call their sense of 'presence' and their immersion in the story. I for one had to blink once or twice, trying to work out just what the hell was happening before realising I had just moved to another character.

I felt this issue was lessened around the 2/3 - 3/4 mark of the story. Which ironically goes hand in hand with another gripe I have with it. That being... The story may as well have been called "Felix and Chums" instead of "Gotrek and Felix" as the first half of the namesake - Gotrek - doesn't bloody show up till towards the the final third of the book, bar a brief appearance at the start. Ironically, after that, it really starts getting rather good and I enjoyed it. The leaping about and confusion greatly (if not utterly) diminishing as well. A shame it came far too late for me to like the book as a whole.

Also, something that has been a real pain in my chest about this book, and I hope not totally unique to me... I hope you didn't like Kat. I liked Kat. I really did. I thought she brought a lot to the series, both in herself and in her relationship with the dynamic duo. She had excellent character development, the romance arc with Felix was really well done and she brought a lot of tension as they might be immortal (well, till next book) but she wasn't. If, like me, you did like Kat, well... Guymer butchers her in the first couple of chapters. And her relationship with Felix. And straight up writes her out the novel. Which grated with me after two books of character development.

Didn't mean for it to have so many spoiler tags... Still, better be safe than have someone unwary read it and get the plot ruined I suppose.