PDA

View Full Version : looking for 500pt escalation league Skaven lists.

syndrom
02-04-2014, 08:24
Hi all,

My local games workshop is starting an escalation league and i want to play skaven. but i'm very new to fantasy warhammer.
So i'm looking for some army lists starting with 500 pts.

these are the models i have to work with.

120 clanrats/slaves

40 stormvermin

1 warplightning cannon

20 nighrunners

1 Warpfire Thrower team

3 Poisoned Wind Mortar teams

1 warlord

1 engineer

2 ogre rats

1 master moulder

So atm i kind of have to work within those confines

Oogie boogie boss
02-04-2014, 09:03
I don't have the book with me, so I can't be sure what you can cram into 500pts from that, but at a guess I'd say go for something like the following:

25-30 Clanrats with Plague Mortar
20 Stormvermin with WFT
WLC
Chieftan with cheap magic weapon (Sword of Might/Strife?)
Warlock with upgrades if you can afford it.

As I say, that's ball park, but you want to get a decent bulk of troops on the table at the first stage, then you can start adding/expanding with more exotic stuff as the army grows.

syndrom
02-04-2014, 10:39
I don't have the book with me, so I can't be sure what you can cram into 500pts from that, but at a guess I'd say go for something like the following:

25-30 Clanrats with Plague Mortar
20 Stormvermin with WFT
WLC
Chieftan with cheap magic weapon (Sword of Might/Strife?)
Warlock with upgrades if you can afford it.

As I say, that's ball park, but you want to get a decent bulk of troops on the table at the first stage, then you can start adding/expanding with more exotic stuff as the army grows.

Yeah i'll expand for sure, but i just put down a chunk of money for this stuff already. and i got conflicting stuff from all sides.

Some people recommended 5 rat ogres but i from what i read those are just terrible?

Thanks for your input, appreciate it!

Oogie boogie boss
02-04-2014, 11:32
Rat Ogres are the ultimate glass hammer. They can put out masses of damage, but are also horribly vulnerable. No saves of any kind (unless you also take Skweel Gnawtooth) and only T4 means even ST 3 attacks are going to give them problems.

However, as I said, they hit hard. My advice is, if you're going to take them, take a lot (6+), and pick your targets. Knights and other Monstrous Infantry are a good bet due to their high initiative. At 500pts though, there's just no room for them. Maybe wait till the escalation hits 2,000pts then go for 6-8 as a hammer unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The French Guy
02-04-2014, 12:20
Hi!
As a 500pts starter, I would go along those lines:

Engineer with rocket.
50 slaves
50 slaves
20 clanrats with a Warpfire Thrower.
Then a chief BSB or a Warplightning cannon.

Should clock between 465pts and 485pts depending on the last option (chief/WLC).
You could also take both option and drop some slaves (35 to field the BSB), then merge it into one unit of 60-65 slaves.

Engineer with rocket
Chief BSB
60 slaves
20 clanrats with WFT
Warplightning cannon

TOTAL: 475pts

Hope it helps!